What do you remember being the first game review(s) you came across?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts

It's a tough call WHICH game I watched one of, but I think the first set of reviews I came across were from, and you're not gonna believe this (unless you had CN) but... Toonami.

Before G4 (X-Play, EP/Reviews on the Run), and various game magazines (or me paying more attention what's IN the mags) like Nintendo Power and Game Informer, it was the block that brought a lot of Americans a lot of anime and action cartoons.

Not something to entirely compare to journo sites admittedly, but, I don't know. Watching these looking back and even watching the new ones, they just feel a little more laid back in contrast to something like X-Play. Even if the amount of games they review are limited.

And I find it kind of funny that Steve Blum (who voices T.O.M.) at times read scripts of reviews of games HE was in. Case in point: Mass Effect 3 (from the April Fools special).

Anyway, what was your first review? If not set of...?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16010 Posts

I believe it was in late 2004 when I first caught on to Gamespot. The first review I came across was Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC. I had a piece of crap computer, so it barely worked. The load times were long and the textures looked terrible (that's my computer's fault though -- not the game's). I don't play PC games anymore, but it's not because of that. It's just not my cup of tea.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58357 Posts

Oh I don't remember my first game review, but I had a PC Gamer subscription back in the 90's. I miss those demo discs! And coconut monkey.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58357 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Damn, Toonami...wow that's a throwback, I remember that. Wasn't an avid watcher but I remember flipping through the channels and, being a gamer, saw a show talking about games caught my attention.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7293 Posts

Don't remember my first game review, but the library at school had subscriptions for a few magazines. Gamepro was one of them, and I would read it at recess when the new issues came out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44239 Posts

Probably some magazine in the 80’s. Maybe Nintendo Power.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9563 Posts

It was Nintendo Power.. I was going to say I guess I'm older than everyone else but we have another dinosaur above.. lol.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Something from GamePro magazine in the 90s. Don't remember the game(s), only that it they rated it in categories in a 5-point scale and a corresponding smiley-face.

arambasil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By arambasil
Member since 2023 • 3 Posts

My first encounter with Gamespot occurred in the latter half of 2004. theilt20 initial review I stumbled upon was for Halo:Combat Evolved on PC.With my outdated and subpar computer,running the game was a struggle.The loading times were excruciatingly long,and the textures were abysmal,but that was more a reflection of my hardware's limitations than the game itself.While I no longer engage in PC gaming,it's not due to that experience.It's simply not my preferred gaming platform.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

I think it probably was Devil May Cry. I for sure have read some reviews but that game the only one I can vividly recall. it was a TV show hosted by 2 dudes and they gave it a 9.6 or something. They also gave the sequel a 9 which was such a howler. One of the dude clearly not happy with the scoring and he really showed it by being really uninterested.

ukcrazyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ukcrazyguy
Member since 2008 • 100 Posts

Total magazine issue 1 January 1992. Remember reading the Super Marion Bros 3 review over and over.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41542 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@nintendoboy16: Damn, Toonami...wow that's a throwback, I remember that. Wasn't an avid watcher but I remember flipping through the channels and, being a gamer, saw a show talking about games caught my attention.

If you can believe it, the current rendition on Adult Swim has outlived it's original CN variant. And yes, they still make reviews on the block today.