What do you like about video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drak565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drak565
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

^ Topic, just please use specifics (i.e. no "it stimulates my brain or, they're exciting!")

Mine: The thing I like about video games is the ability to reload a save, unlike in real life. In a video game, if you make a really strong character mad at you and you die, then you just load your save and he can become your ally!

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
lots of fun, can play with friends or make new friends, gives you that feeling like when watching a really good movie like your in a different world lol
RedGamer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RedGamer94
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

The storylines and just playing with friends.

obscured_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 obscured_echo
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts

Their ability to get me fully engrossed into a story

Gaminginferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gaminginferno
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I love the story. Too me the story is what truely keeps you playing a game.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
They're exciting.. lol jk More than story, I love gameplay the same way movies can captivate my imagination or keep me thinking. Surprisingly, aRPG genre constantly fills my brain with what I'm doing, where I'm going, and what I'm using or finding. Story is often too overshadowed by gameplay for me to follow intently, so I never really latch on to those "classic" game stories.
Avatar image for SalvationGift31
SalvationGift31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SalvationGift31
Member since 2010 • 277 Posts
I'm obsessed with graphics which I know a lot of gamers won't like, but I just love the look of video games. =) I also like the interaction.
Dreamerdude26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dreamerdude26
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
Being able to enter a wolrd that can be anything that it wants to be. Like movies or books, they let you live out adventures that in real life you'd never be able to experience. They let my imagination run wild. What makes them different however is the level of interaction that they permit. Some people play games because they are fun, some play them for the pretty graphics, but I play them for the whole package. I like it when games are not fun because it's part of the story, I like it when things are ugly when it fits the world, I scrutinize and appreciate everything about them. I just love games.
akuma_od3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 akuma_od3
Member since 2009 • 583 Posts

I have been playing video games for about 20 years now, and I get different joys from different games. As I have gotten older though I prefer slower, more atmospheric games.

Nothing better these days than sitting in front of a 50" LCD under a blanket with the rain outside getting drawn into some fantastic RPG universe.

(bring on FFXIII btw!)

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I was sort of born into them so I can't help but like them. =P

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
They are entertaining, whether playing by yourself or with others. games can have engrossing stories, awesome tunes, nice appealing visuals. Can be a way to get away the problems of the real world, vent anger etc.
LiquidClear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LiquidClear
Member since 2008 • 356 Posts

All of the obvious stuff (fun! exciting!) applies, and I do love a good story, but I think the thing that I like most about video games is the fact that they give you a sense of satisfaction when you do something/beat something. It's not the "omg i have purpose in life!" satisfaction, but it's enough to make you keep coming back and doing more. It's the only way I can explain how I enjoyed Harvest Moon 64, a game about farming lol

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
They're fun and exciting, and they make me think (especially my favorite genres - RTS and grand stratagy.) I also like to be engrossed in a good story.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

online gaming.

laughing at the people who try to talk trash after they got their butt handed to them.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
Love experiencing new stories and video games are a great way to do this without spending too much time away from real life. I also like just watching them progress over the years, especially in the past 10- there's always something new and exciting around the corner!
maxmax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 maxmax1234
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

Stepping out of your own world and into a new one. Its just important to keep recognising the boundary between virtual and real life.

Avatar image for Just_Some_Gamer
Just_Some_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Just_Some_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I like video games because for those hours I am in playing them, I am in a totally different world, and I can achieve things in the game which I could never do outside of it. I also love the feeling of beating games, and playing them well (i.e online multiplayer).

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
I'm obsessed with graphics which I know a lot of gamers won't like, but I just love the look of video games. =) SalvationGift31
Same here. Call me shallow, but I've always been in it for the flashy visuals.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

There plenty of things why i like Videogames.

I like the story in games, some of my favorite stories ever are from videogames (Crono Trigger, MGS3, SotC, FFVIII, etc. )

I like the experience some games provide like SMG or in its time SMB3, also OoT was such a great experience.

I like action and over the top situations like DMC, Bayonetta, GOW, MGS.

The music is fantastic like in Silent Hill, MGS, Zelda, KOF, etc.

They are fun to play alone or with other people, from Zelda to Mario Kart.

Among other things i like.

Avatar image for Chronicles-Lore
Chronicles-Lore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Chronicles-Lore
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts
Personally I love customization above all other things. Sandbox games with mendable stories are my bread and butter. Sure I could play as some jerk off who was made by some company, or I can play as Hunkules, destroyer of worlds and savior of mutant kitties! It just seems more meaningful when the character and other elements in the world are of your own design or are alterable through your actions. I.E. Do I want to burn the village down and everyone in it, or do I want to buy the town and upgrade it to a vast city? HAHA! I love it!
rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

the thing i find most amusing in video games is the physics of peoples bodies.. like in gta4, saints row, hitman, and force unleashed.. it cracks me up

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i play to push (and question) the limits of the systems, and to explore who i am to a certain degree. i believe anything can change your perspective, and games are good at doing this because of the placement of the avatar in relation to the world, the time investment necessary, and the challenges involved. there are many limits in a game and many ways to work within those limits or against them or exceed them.

i also think games keep you in the present, and train all your senses so they're sharp and aware.

gamefree2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gamefree2
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts

Well, in a video game I like a good story, having a great time with a friend or yourself and the music.

Cheesemanook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cheesemanook
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

That video games are fun, and to do stuff that I couldn't do in real life, like go on a killing spree in GTA4.

Dreamerdude26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dreamerdude26
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
Love experiencing new stories and video games are a great way to do this without spending too much time away from real life. I also like just watching them progress over the years, especially in the past 10- there's always something new and exciting around the corner!HellsAngel2c
Yes, that is exactly why I want to be a gaming journalist. So I can be right at the front lines seeing all these cool changes happen.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
stories pretty much do it for me.
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts

I like how it lets me escape from my problems, from myself for periods of time. I like how games with really good stories or characters bring me new thoughts and perspectives on events and people in the real world. I like feeling like a hero. I like the ability to murder people to let off steam without actually having harmed anybody. I like exploring exotic locales and meeting interesting new people for under $50 and in the comfort of my own living room. I like throwing myself so far into an RPG that I take on traits of the main character for a while. I like the feeling of standing up for what I believe is right because in the real world the unjust wear business suits and get away with everything with the help of a lawyer. I like living in worlds better and less complicated then my own.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

The Playing of Them ! :D

WhiteWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 WhiteWorld
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

I like games that let me be creative. Not like customizing your character or like something like Spore but something like Master of Olympus: Zeus where you can build a large base but where everything serves a purpose. You can organize your city in a trillion different ways, you can make it beautiful, but everything serves a purpose, it's not purely there for cosmetic purposes like customizing your character at the start of an RPG. I love city builders. I also love open world games like GTA and Oblivion. But the thing is, with all these games I'm left unsatisfied so quickly. I always want more.

In GTA I want to be able to buy companies, fly planes, I want a big countryside, I want parachutes, I want a scuba suit, I want a jetpack, I want snowy mountains, I want to be able to climb those snowy mountains with full mountain climbing gear, I want better stealth gameplay, I want to be able to play as a cop for a while, I want to be able to use disguises to slip past enemies, in IV I wanted the gym back because it let me customize my character but in a meaningful way, not a purely cosmetic one and I had to work for it which made it all so much more satisfying, I want to be able to rappell down buildings, I want an underground base like the batcave or something, I want better melee combat, I want to be able to establish a drug ring, I want to be a street thug whose brother was killed but I take full vengeance halfway through the game so a new story can begin, I want to rise from a street thug to owning an empire of companies, goons etc. If you felt like giving up while reading that I understand. Thinking about all the things I wish I could do take over my mind when I play. And I don't get these things and that leaves me unsatisfied and makes me eventually stop playing.

It all comes down to the fact that I want a game where I have hundreds of combinations of actions, items, environments, events and enemies so if I want someone dead, someone who's got alotta guards, I can do it by climbing that vertical cliff, gliding onto his roof in my stealth glider, sneaking my way to his room and stabbing him in the heart or jumping in a bomber at an airport on the other side of the map, flying it there and carpet bombing the whole area or putting on my scuba suit and traveling there in my speedboat, then swimming underwater to where the guards can't see me to the side of his house where his room is, taking out that sniper rifle, putting a silencer on it, taking a beautiful shot through the window and curtains with the help of those thermal sights I bought and then slipping out of there the way I came while the enemies are scratching their heads wondering how the fook this happened.

Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

They are a form of escapist entertainment for me. They allow me, like movies, to explore another world, but unlike movies, I get to interact with said world. I like the fantastical and downright unreal elements of video gaming (which is probably why I do not like realistic games too much). I like playing with friends because it's a form of bonding. I've played video games since childhood and I don't think they'll ever not be a part of my life. Even when I'm old, I might be playing Final Fantasy XL, or playing something with my grandkids.

Mando5511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mando5511
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The Ability to do things in games that you can't do in real life.
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
they make me think. i play rpgs and srpgs.