What developers do you hold in high regard?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Been playing Resident Evil 4 Remake and thought Capcom has come along way to earn our respect again. It didn’t start with RE4, but over the last few years, maybe starting with RE2 Remake. Before that, there was a low point. I remember Street Fighter V launch was a mess. I’m hoping 6 is much better. But overall, really happy with Capcom lately. Another developer I can think of is PlatinumGames. Though sometimes the quality isn’t always there as far as graphics, they still try to push themselves to deliver a unique and fun experience.

How about you, GD? What developers do you hold in high regard?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Arkane. They have yet to make a bad, or even mediocre, game thus far. Everything they've done, from Arx Fatalis to Deathloop, has been a lot of fun and just really well designed with excellent art direction.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Bethesda, Nintendo and Bioware.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

There are obviously some that come to mind. Most honorably varying 1st party studios, but this question is difficult for me since I don't hold most companies in esteem of each other. If a dev team has made a single game I have enjoyed then I'm always hoping for the best in the future, but don't expect anything either. I always find it better to go in with no or low expectations. Nintendo, SONY, Capcom, Square Enix (only partially these days), and several others spring to mind, but I could make a list a mile long... lol

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Paradox Interactive, Koei, Rockstar, Polyphony Digital and Sony Interactive San Diego Studio.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Hard disagree, I hold the second Remake with the utmost respect and one of my favorite Survival Horror games, but Street Fighter V lacklustre launch was only the companies fighting division, every other area was a sign that Capcom was back on track. Mechanically V was also a great game, it however suffered a lot of Capcom's worst problems from the generation prior.

The Revelation games met with good reviews and Biohazard VII, while I have issues with was a massive success.

Monster Hunter: World is also Capcom's most successful video game ever, and won many awards on its own merit. I understand those that commonly dismissed MH but it cannot be ignored anymore as the companies biggest and most celebrated franchise.

At anyrate. Capcom's lowest point was the PS3/360 generation. Countless shilling microtransactions that are felt even today (with how they handled SFV and may handle SFVI). Dragon's Dogma is a game I treasure yet its launch was abysmal, paying for basic features as a consumable??

Games such as Lost Planet 2/3, Resident Evil 6/ Operation, Steel Battalion (technically From Software and Capcom are to blame for this monstrosity), Dark Void, and countless rerelease editions of SFIV when they 'promised' no added editions. Finally Street Fighter X Tekken; all these games have mediocre to spiteful receptions.

The only franchises giving Capcom a good reputation during this time was Monster Hunter and OG Street Fighter IV. Both being excellent. However many wouldn't figure out MH's excellence till World, and SFIV became a paywall for little reason other than to force for some cash with an expanded roster. No DLC expansion option, you had to buy the new version they promised prior customers wouldn't exist.

Argument could be made that the first two Dead Rising games are great but I think they're just ok.

I have no issue with Resident Evil 5 and think it's a fun coop game but it got mixed overall critical reception and was more widely accepted by those who have never enjoyed a prior Resi game.

Remake 4 is an amazing game though, but think I still prefer the original in more than a few areas.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Capcom and Nintendo are pretty much tied for me at the very top. Also have high regard for:

- From Software

- Square-Enix

- Arc System Works

- Platinum Games

- Turn 10 Studios

- Playground

- The Coalition

- Insomniac

Avatar image for deactivated-642c1157b8e80
deactivated-642c1157b8e80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-642c1157b8e80
Member since 2023 • 262 Posts

I’ll always hold Sega in high regard, no matter how hard they try to make me stop. Also, White Owls Inc. I will always remain thankful to Swery for THE MISSING: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts
  • Nintendo
  • Platinum Games
  • Playdead
  • Moon Studios

They're the main ones right now... but devs like Valve, Bioware, Bungie & Rockstar used to be on that list but have dropped a bit.

@deactivated-642c1157b8e80 said:

I’ll always hold Sega in high regard, no matter how hard they try to make me stop. Also, White Owls Inc. I will always remain thankful to Swery for THE MISSING: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories.

That is a great game!