What are some of your favorite game franchises?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I would have to say to name a few: Resident Evil Metal Gear Solid Halo Gears of War Tekken Legend of Zelda Super Mario Bros Jet Grind Radio/JSRF Sonic Panzer Dragoon God of War Mortal Kombat Final Fantasy Forza Gran Turismo
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry Series

Max Payne Series

IC3_C0LD_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 IC3_C0LD_ZERO
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

GTA

Tekken

Mortal Kombat

MGS

Timesplitters (R.I.P)

Hitman

The Elder Scrolls

Mass Effect

Dragon Age

Assassin's Creed

NBA 2K

Bioshock

Fallout

Max Payne

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

my favorites?

1. Mass Effect
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Assassin's Creed
  4. inFamous
  5. Uncharted
  6. Super Mario Bros
  7. Donkey Kong Country
  8. Ace Combat
  9. Bioshock
  10. Fallout
  11. Deus Ex
  12. Batman Arkham
  13. Red Alert
  14. Battlefield

just off the top of my head.

I do like the God of War, Final Fantasy, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Gears of War, Legend of Zelda, Elder Scrolls (exception of Skyrim - which i love) and a few others, but i'd be lying if i said they are my favorites.

I am though a big fan of games that have only (so far) gotten one game, like Mirror's Edge, Beyond Good and Evil, Gravity Rush, and Binary Domain (really liked it's single player)

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Instead of a 'list' topic, maybe you could at least say a few things you like about each one you list. For me, one main one would be Twisted Metal. I just loved the idea of weapons on cars - somewhat improved from games like Road Blasters and Spy Hunter, while giving the player at least some feeling of freedom in where to go and how to blow up enemies with a multitude of weapons. Twisted Metal became one of my favorite series the instant I got to play the 2nd game, not only because it retained all the elements that made the original great, but that it improved upon any that might have been lacking. The music - which created a unique type of atmosphere for each 'level', along with all the anmated cutscenes which were fairly dark humor that I hadn't seen before made this one of my most-memorable and most-played PlayStation games - especially split-screen with friends. Twisted Metal took somewhat of a negative turn with the 3rd and 4th entries as they were not developed by the people who made 'my' TM game as they just didn't have the 'feel' of the series. Critical Depth and Rogue Trip: 2012 had a similar 'feel', however they were not Twisted Metal. TM: Black took the series to a dark place, so much so that it seemed like the team might have had some psychological issues. The speed of the game - which ran at 60fps - was also much too fast for what I had become accustomed to, and it would take a portable system's entry (TM: Head-On on the Sony PSP) to bring the series back on the level of 2. The later port of Head-On to the PS2 - Extra Twisted Edition - was just about a perfect re-entry to the style and 'feel' found in TM 2. The only thing that it was missing was some type of LAN/Internet multiplayer option. TM: HO was the true TM 3 for me, not only in how it went back, but also in how it moved the narratives of the multiple characters forward, and there was even the encoded message of "Twisted on PSThree" which was a major factor in my acquiring that 'next-gen' game system. Fast-forward to Valentine's Day 2011 - the release of Twisted Metal for PlayStation 3. I was excited to get the chance to play a more 'complete' TM experience with huge levels, lots of destruction, and online multiplayer. At least that's what I had been hoping for. Instead, in the few months prior to that day I got a few 'warning signs' about the game watching videos / interviews with David Jaffe - one of the original creators of the series. I learned, not only, that there would be live-action cutscenes - which brought back the memories of the ones that were really bad and cut from the first game - but also that there would only be 3 actual fleshed-out characters to choose from. A stark contrast to all the previous games where every vehicle and character were bonded - How could he put Sweet Tooth on a motorcycle? Sweet Tooth drives his Ice Cream truck. Upon release, hype got the best of me, and I stuck the disk in. What I found was exactly what I didn't want to - a fairly uninspired return to the dark "Black" world that seemed solely focused on the storyline that bordered along the lines of some horror film. Online multiplayer was decent, though the environments to combat through were not as varied and explore-worthy as what I remembered playing in 2 and Head-On. I do have hope that the series can be great again, it's just too bad the first one on the current PlayStation had to be so different.
M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

My favorite series would have to be the Mass Effect series. I've spent so many hours on that series and enjoyed every second. I really like the story and the ability to be evil.

Second would be the Halo series. As much as I enjoy modern combat, the science fiction aspect of Halo has always been more appealing to me. The story, although not world class, has been great and made me want to continue to play.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts
  • Super Mario Brothers: Obvious choice and it is just such a classic series. Not to mention it still raises the bar for platformers even to this day.
  • Silent Hill: My all-time favorite video game series. I really like horror themed media/entertainment, and Silent Hill has hit the nail on the head with their survival horror games more often than not. Silent Hill 2 set a standard for survival horror games that has still never been matched.
  • Elder Scrolls: I've never obsessed over these games, but starting with Daggerfall I really got into them and enjoyed the depth of the environments and the open-world feel.
  • Fallout: Another one of my favorite series, and when they re-imagined the series with Fallout 3/New Vegas it was nearly the perfect game for me.
  • Earthbound: I really wish the Earthbound series was still alive and more progressive. I've played a translated patch of Mother 3 and have played the original Mother as well, but I wish the support was stronger for these games. But even just having Earthbound on the SNES to play is enough for me to place the series near the top of my list.
Daizengar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Daizengar
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts
I don't have a particular order in which I list these, but I'll mention some of my absolute favorites. Super Robot Wars. Borderlands. Fallout. Elder Scrolls. Gears of War. Halo. Ghost Recon. Splinter Cell. ArmA. Battlefield. Company of Heroes. Diablo. Unreal. Soul Calibur. *EDIT: Donkey Kong Country. Banjo-Kazooie.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

top 10 (in order) would be...

1. The Legend of Zelda
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Battlefield