bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts

I dont think it was intentional but sub zero vs scorpion is a good example of China Vs Japan. They both have a long history of war

Did you find other example of this stuff in games?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

It's not uncommon in the slightest.

Gaming heavily leans on stereotypes, this helps the developers to focus more on the game, than the 'why' for setting up characters.

Most invested in entertainment media are aware of general conventionalize portrayals, and how absurd it is- steroid abused gun-happy American, fat Scotsman in a skirt, dreaded drugged up Jamaican. .

More than not, stereotypes in all media are used for cheap parody, and many are ok with this. It can be offensive to a select few, but many with a sense of humor will call it slander-humor laughing it off as a joke-

All depends on portrayal as well I suppose. And how much the creator(s) lean on the offensive nature of stereotyping.

Stereotypes in any given media are 'generally' not suppose to be taken seriously, those that do (viewing stereotypes as absolute facts to that culture/ country of people) are beyond help, and are likely big racists.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Well I don't know if I would call this social commentary but yeah I guess it is. The line really doesn't make sense and I find it kinda of funny it's from Indigo Prophecy which isn't surprising lol. I actually like the game though as a guilty pleasure.

Anyways here's the line. Things are never quite what they seem. We think we understand the world around us but we really only see the outside. What it seems to be. I used to be just like you. I believed in humanity, the newspapers, soap commercials??? wtf lol, politics and even history books.

Loading Video...