We want Skate 4 NOT another THPS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 NinthFall
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

THPS is surely a big part of our history, but in all honestly, it should stay there. Don't make another THPS in an attempt to bring back some nostalgia, THPS simply doesn't work these days! It's unrealistic and players want realism. Realism is something that the EA Skate series introduced us to. If you want to make a new THPS, you have to take a new direction, which is realism. Also, for the love of God finish the game before publishing it!

Skate 4 is the thing everybody wants. Skate series have been the most realistic skate games without forgetting the fun part. I mean sure they have their unrealistic moments, but it doesn't have to be that strict to the realism, but not as over the top as THPS either.

I can think of these over the top games, and they don't work. Look at Amped, moved to Amped 3. What a dull mess that has nothing to do with snowboarding. THPS. First skateboarding game ever, it worked in the past, but look at it now. People don't want that! REALISM is the key!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

I know I'm a broken record. Bring back Skate indeed. Those games killed Tony Hawk's and I would love to see them on the new gen hardware. Much more realistic. And as a former THPS guy to Underground, I felt that the Skate series came as close to the real thing as you could get in a virtual world. I get THPS was all about fantastic, over-the-top moves, but I really thought the presentation and gameplay of the Skate games was far better. A 360 Flip or Hardflip actually took effort to pull off using the analog sticks, which in some case were pretty damn close to actual feet placement and movement on a real board. Don't get me wrong, I loved Skate and would love to see it come back but I always liked THPS more, I found stringing together combo's more fun personally, especially THPS1 thorugh THUG. I would gladly take a Skate 4 any day of the week.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

But, but, I actually want neither. SKATING IS DEAD, DUDE!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Games need less realism.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@NinthFall said:

REALISM is the key!

Which is why Skate 3 introduced a feature that makes wiping out totally unrealistic in absolutely every way... but all the more hilarious.

Skateboarding needs more games that reflect the CULTURE of skateboarding. I don't think it was Skate's realism that really made it take off like it did, but the more accurate depiction of skate culture.

I enjoyed both the THPS and Skate series at their peaks and to a lesser extent, even enjoyed the Thrasher: Skate & Destroy game on the PS. I want well-made games with lots of content that bring skateboarding to life in the video gaming medium. I don't necessarily want to have to struggle to do an ollie like in real life.

Make me feel like a pro. Like Skate 2 did.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 foxhound_fox
@loafofgame said:

Tell that to all the West 49's still in business and the continuous construction of new skate parks even in some of the smallest rural towns.

Skateboarding is an excellent form of exercise, and BMX biking is still going strong as well. Roller blading and scootering are still very niche.

Where I live in my city (essentially a near-downtown hipster neighbourhood), people use skateboards and longboards as a form of transportation.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@loafofgame said:

Tell that to all the West 49's still in business and the continuous construction of new skate parks even in some of the smallest rural towns.

Skateboarding is an excellent form of exercise, and BMX biking is still going strong as well. Roller blading and scootering are still very niche.

Where I live in my city (essentially a near-downtown hipster neighbourhood), people use skateboards and longboards as a form of transportation.

Pretty much all this but I still couldn't understand why we haven't had a Snowboarding game in so long?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

I wasn't being serious. I'm not even from the US. I couldn't care less really. I guess I shouldn't have commented, then, but oh well...

Edit: I do have to say that longboards are popular over here aswell. But I wouldn't say using a giant board with wheels as transportation can be compared to doing tricks with a skateboard.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

No, I'd rather a proper THPS game like the old days... not some rushed piece of crap that was made on the cheap like THPS 5.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox

@davillain- said:

Pretty much all this but I still couldn't understand why we haven't had a Snowboarding game in so long?

The last SSX was 2012. That wasn't too long ago.

I think it's time a developer tackle surfing proper. And don't just make it a skateboarding game on water. But actually capture the culture and serenity of riding a wave.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NinthFall

I think realism is the key, not the culture. Both THPS and AMPED 3 tried to match skateboarding and snowboarding cultures from a humoristic point of view and it didn't work. The sports are hard, difficult and take a lot of nerver to do those tricks and I wish that would show on the games.

Focusing too much on the cultural content made both of these series lose their track of the real subject.

I'd love a snowboard and skateboard game where I could develop my skater from a newbie to an x game professional competitioner or just a free style park roaming hippo.

If they wanted to create a huge game, they could always make a wide community, online even, where every player could choose from skateboard, bmx, scooters, rollerblades, etc. But that'd require a lot of work of course

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

A game does not need Realism but it does need to be fun. The skate games never seem to get the attention of many gamers.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NinthFall

@wiouds: That could be the problem in my eyes. Gamers want THPS while skaters want SKATE.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I still favor skate / skate 2 over 3. But yes, definitely Skate over THPS. I still remember the countless hours I poured into THPS 3, but Skate was just on a whole nother level. I think the control scheme was the biggest factor as well as the realistic level design.

lordransolaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lordransolaire
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

I mean, you're a little late... SKATE was all well and good, but it wouldn't exist without the THPS games.

NinthFall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NinthFall

@lordransolaire: Why would you assume that? Just becaue THPS was first?

Skate is very different from THPS and skating as a sport has existed a lot longer than THPS. So honestly, I think Skate could've very well happened without THPS. But that is irrelevant to this thread