was the Xbox more powerful than the GameCube?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]

[QUOTE="Kaszilla"]The GC and n64 dontKaszilla

HA! The xbox doesn't come close to either of those...

Let's just agree to disagree...

The xbox has twice as many games as either console. The n64 is actually nintendo's worst console imo.

I rank consoles in terms of exclusives and the quality of those exclusives. No reason for me to ever touch a multiplat on a console ever since I got my PC. The Xbox brand has always been a mostly multiplat machine, so of course it will have more games than a Nintendo console, which focuses on exclusives.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaszilla"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]

HA! The xbox doesn't come close to either of those...

Let's just agree to disagree...

YoshiYogurt
The xbox has twice as many games as either console. The n64 is actually nintendo's worst console imo.

I rank consoles in terms of exclusives and the quality of those exclusives. No reason for me to ever touch a multiplat on a console ever since I got my PC. The Xbox brand has always been a mostly multiplat machine, so of course it will have more games than a Nintendo console, which focuses on exclusives.

The xbox and Gc are dead even in exclusives. The N64 has 10 or so exclusives that are playable today
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

Gamecube was the most powerful but once people decide something they stick with it.

Chozofication
No it wasn't. Your post below this talking about the Xbox being designed bad is also false in comparison to the Gamecube
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Gamecube was the most powerful but once people decide something they stick with it.

Chozofication

Too bad it couldn't run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2. ;)

Halo 2 and Far Cry Instincts would probably have issues running on GC too.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

TC is banned. :lol:

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 YoshiYogurt

Seabas989
Wow he was a good guy even though he was obsessed with the original xbox and I was not a fan. RIP?
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="BigBen11111"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Why not? There are some good games for it.

I said it before & I'll say it again, I refuse to spend any of my money going towards Bill Gates and his legacy. I don't care how great their games are, when I could be playing Playstation & Nintendo.

This doesn't even make sense, what drugs are yoU on currently?

The kind that keeps me even out.
Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts
[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

YoshiYogurt
Wow he was a good guy even though he was obsessed with the original xbox and I was not a fan. RIP?

Xbox is better than GC
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Keva820

Xbox is better than GC

Welcome back.
Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Keva820
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Keva820"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Wow he was a good guy even though he was obsessed with the original xbox and I was not a fan. RIP?

Xbox is better than GC

Welcome back.

Huh?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#61 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Keva820"] Xbox is better than GCKeva820
Welcome back.

Huh?

Huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

nameless12345

Get real.  There was nothing impressive about that crap.  Anyways, those PC centric developers just didn't want to lift a finger if the development platform wasn't x86.  A game not being on a system means it can't be ran is just as asinine.  Those latter games looked like crap too. 

This generation too, valve didn't want to lift a finger with Ps3 development and both Valve and ID have used ancient, garbage technology.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Keva820

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Chozofication

Get real.  There was nothing impressive about that crap.  Anyways, those PC centric developers just didn't want to lift a finger if the development platform wasn't x86.  A game not being on a system means it can't be ran is just as asinine.  Those latter games looked like crap too. 

This generation too, valve didn't want to lift a finger with Ps3 development and both Valve and ID have used ancient, garbage technology.

Didnt Carmack say that the GC was in ways, better suited for doom 3?
marinevetstl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 marinevetstl
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts

The Game Cube was able to utilize its hardware much better than the xbox.  Simple as that.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Xbox was known as the graphics king that gen, right? Didn't some of its games even run in 720p?

WhySoLimp

Correct. A couple even supported 1080i:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

Xbox was known as the graphics king that gen, right? Didn't some of its games even run in 720p?

SonOfChewbacca

Upscaled.  Poorly at that.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

Chozofication

Dunno. I thought SCII looked pretty good. Can't speak for the other ones like Scarface.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

Chozofication

Why are you a poor fanboy? The Gamecube was less powerful period, and there were a couple native HD games that were DOWNSCALED depending if your cables (or TV) could support 720.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Chozofication

Those two running on a measly 64 megs of RAM and Pentium 3 was pretty dang impressive if you ask me.

PC versions required atleast a Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM to run any decently. (and a capable graphics card with pixel-shaders)

GameCube didn't have the RAM and the shading capabilities (normal mapping) to run them on a decent level.

I'm not even so sure if Wii was able to output better graphics than first Xbox due to a GPU based upon GC's.

And before you want to say that GC had better fill-rate and poly-counts - I don't really agree, Xbox's GPU could do up to 29 million polys (485k@60fps) while GC's could do up to 20 million polys (337k@60fps).

Xbox's GPU supported full DX 8.1 feature set (pixel shader 1.4) while GC's supported DX 7 feature set. (with some fixed-function shaders aka "TEV pipeline")

To say that Xbox couldn't handle GC's games like Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Leader in comparable graphics is just nonsense but GC would most likely have issues running several Xbox games.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Keva820

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Those two running on a measly 64 megs of RAM and Pentium 3 was pretty dang impressive if you ask me.

PC versions required atleast a Pentium 4 with 256 MB RAM to run any decently. (and a capable graphics card with pixel-shaders)

GameCube didn't have the RAM and the shading capabilities (normal mapping) to run them on a decent level.

I'm not even so sure if Wii was able to output better graphics than first Xbox due to a GPU based upon GC's.

And before you want to say that GC had better fill-rate and poly-counts - I don't really agree, Xbox's GPU could do up to 29 million polys (485k@60fps) while GC's could do up to 20 million polys (337k@60fps).

Xbox's GPU supported full DX 8.1 feature set (pixel shader 1.4) while GC's supported DX 7 feature set. (with some fixed-function shaders aka "TEV pipeline")

To say that Xbox couldn't handle GC's games like Resident Evil 4 and Rogue Leader in comparable graphics is just nonsense but GC would most likely have issues running several Xbox games.

Factor 5 said they tried running one of the RS games on the xbox and it didnt run well. The GC gpu could also do 8 textures per pass while the xbox can only do 4. Also the xbox shaders took a hit on performance bringing the gpu down closer to the GC.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Keva820

Factor 5 said they tried running one of the RS games on the xbox and it didnt run well. The GC gpu could also do 8 textures per pass while the xbox can only do 4. Also the xbox shaders took a hit on performance bringing the gpu down closer to the GC.

RS could run on the PS2 if they removed the EMBM. (aka "enviornment-mapped bump mapping")

The "hit on performance" is really relative.

Of course if you put a lot of effects like AA and bump/normal mapping and bloom lighting/dynamic lighting/shadows in your game you will bring the GPU's performance down.

A lot of later Xbox games trade-in higher poly-counts/texture detail for more effects.

But that doesn't mean the Xbox couldn't handle more polys/textures with less effects.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Yo-SUP
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Keva820

Kasilla you don't seem to realize that there in none of that matters. In order for the GC to get graphics as good as a medium grade Xbox game, the GC would already be having multiple hits on its performance. Look at how the GC is designed to run its CPU and GPU in games. It's not going to work. I am not saying that the XBOX had a 500 year gap from the Gamecube, but you are applying logic to the Xbox that is also true for the Gamecube in cases but ignoring them on the Gamecube.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#73 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

xbox was more powerful on paper. ninty just knew how to work with the hardware plus all the ninty games had different and non realistic aesthetics. you can cover up a lot with that

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

xbox was more powerful on paper. ninty just knew how to work with the hardware plus all the ninty games had different and non realistic aesthetics. you can cover up a lot with that

jsmoke03
Where are all these illogical troll comments coming from? I mean I like the GC, it has tons of games, I like the Xbox, it has tons of great games as well, and I can see from both their libraries, why there are fans of each, they each of certain characteristics that may make someone a fan of one or the other, but the fanboyism that is crumbling out the ground and revealing itself in this thread is intolerable. No matter how you slice it, or dice it the Xbox was the more powerful system and displayed its power more. The Gamecube was a design that it could not even reach over half of its theoretical power, now i am seeing that people at MS don't know how to work with hardware by having engineers that actually built the hardware right to display some great games? It's arguable if the Wii is more powerful for heaven sake. Xbox had games that has non realistic aesthetics as well, a lot of Nintendo fans recently on the board in many topics (not just this one) have been throwing things at competing consoles and when it's the same or similar on the GC or N64 they completely ignore it. (This post was copied and pasted from Neo Seeker. As it also applies here.)
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

NationProtector
Where are all these illogical troll comments coming from? I mean I like the GC, it has tons of games, I like the Xbox, it has tons of great games as well, and I can see from both their libraries, why there are fans of each, they each of certain characteristics that may make someone a fan of one or the other, but the fanboyism that is crumbling out the ground and revealing itself in this thread is intolerable. No matter how you slice it, or dice it the Xbox was the more powerful system and displayed its power more. The Gamecube was a design that it could not even reach over half of its theoretical power, now i am seeing that people at MS don't know how to work with hardware by having engineers that actually built the hardware right to display some great games? It's arguable if the Wii is more powerful for heaven sake. Xbox had games that has non realistic aesthetics as well, a lot of Nintendo fans recently on the board in many topics (not just this one) have been throwing things at competing consoles and when it's the same or similar on the GC or N64 they completely ignore it. (This post was copied and pasted from Neo Seeker. As it also applies here.)

tell me where the troll comments are coming from? i said it was more powerful on paper and ninty could make nice games and cover up jaggies because of aesthetics. do you know what a troll comment is?
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#76 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

The Xbox had more SDRAM, but the GameCube had faster, more efficient, 1T-SRAM.

As for fill rates and poly counts, Xbox games barely ever went over 10 million polys/sec in game, whereas the GC launch game Rogue Squadron was already hitting highs of 15 million polys/sec in game. In terms of practical polygon counts and fill rates, the GameCube was the faster console.

As for the feature set, the Xbox used pixel shader 1.1, not 1.4, though 1.1 was still a lot better than the GameCube's fixed-function shaders.

As for the unnecessary Wii comparison, I highly doubt the Xbox would be able to handle a game Xenoblade Chronicles, what with its huge open world and all.

And finally, as has already been pointed out, the Xbox would have serious issues running Rogue Leader. But it's also true that the GameCube would also have issues with the best-looking Xbox games due to the lack of a PC-like x86 architecture.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

Jag85

As for fill rates and poly counts, Xbox games barely ever went over 10 million polys/sec in game, whereas the GC launch game Rogue Squadron was already hitting highs of 15 million polys/sec in game. In terms of practical polygon counts and fill rates, the GameCube was the faster console.

As for the feature set, the Xbox used pixel shader 1.1, not 1.4, though 1.1 was still a lot better than the GameCube's fixed-function shaders.

As for the unnecessary Wii comparison, I highly doubt the Xbox would be able to handle a game Xenoblade Chronicles, what with its huge open world and all.

And finally, as has already been pointed out, the Xbox would have serious issues running Rogue Leader. But it's also true that the GameCube would also have issues with the best-looking Xbox games due to the lack of a PC-like x86 architecture.

More RAM > faster RAM.

PS3 had faster RAM than 360 (XDR RAM) but it wasn't better than 360's unified RAM (GDDR3 type).

The Factor 5 guys also said that they were struggling with memory on the GC. (they applauded the graphics chip and CPU tho)

Rogue Squadron 2 & 3 were fine games that showcased what GC could do.

Were they more advanced than late Xbox games tho?

Unless you only care about poly-counts, no.

They used the simplistic emboss-mapped bump-mapping on most surfaces which is just more textures seen from different angle.

Late Xbox games used lots of normal mapping which would be hard to get out of GC. (most devs used EMBM instead)

And I think you still don't quite realize that it was not the issue that Xbox couldn't handle high-poly games to (out)match GC's, but simply that it traded poly-counts for more effects.

From this perspective, the Xbox was a little similar to N64, which could also theoretically output more polygons than the PS1 but mostly exchanged them for more/better effects.

After all, advanced effects tend to lower general performance.

As for shader model in Xbox - you are right, I mixed it with OpenGL.

The GPU is based on GeForce 3 Ti 500 which was pretty much the best GPU money could buy on the PC at the time.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

More RAM > faster RAM.

PS3 had faster RAM than 360 (XDR RAM) but it wasn't better than 360's unified RAM (GDDR3 type).

The Factor 5 guys also said that they were struggling with memory on the GC. (they applauded the graphics chip and CPU tho)

They used the simplistic emboss-mapped bump-mapping on most surfaces which is just more textures seen from different angle.

Late Xbox games used lots of normal mapping which would be hard to get out of GC. (most devs used EMBM instead)

And I think you still don't quite realize that it was not the issue that Xbox couldn't handle high-poly games to (out)match GC's, but simply that it traded poly-counts for more effects.

From this perspective, the Xbox was a little similar to N64, which could also theoretically output more polygons than the PS1 but mostly exchanged them for more/better effects.

The GPU is based on GeForce 3 Ti 500 which was pretty much the best GPU money could buy on the PC at the time.

I don't think the trade in for effects over Polygons really apply to the N64 due to its hardware.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

NationProtector

Rebel Strike surassed what was theoretically possible on the GC. It pushed more polygons than any game that gen.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

More RAM > faster RAM.

Also the best looking GC exclusives look just as good as xbox's while running 60 fps whereas most xbox exclusive ran at 30 fps and often dipped lower probably due to its weaker cpu.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jakandsigz

More RAM > faster RAM.

I don't think the trade in for effects over Polygons really apply to the N64 due to its hardware.

"Fast3D mode" - up to 100K polys with full effects (i.e. edge AA, emboss/reflection mapping, Z-buffer, mip-mapping, ect.)

"Turbo3D mode" - up to 500K-600K polys with reduced/disabled effects

So it could do less polygons with better effects than PS1 or more polygons with less/similar effects to PS1.

Most N64 games used "Fast3D mode" with a few using custom micro-code. (most notably Factor 5's and Rare's games)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

TheKingIAm

More RAM > faster RAM.

Also the best looking GC exclusives look just as good as xbox's while running 60 fps whereas most xbox exclusive ran at 30 fps and often dipped lower probably due to its weaker cpu.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that.

The Rogue Squadron games and the Resident Evil games were surely impressive but they were still no "Panzer Dragon Orta", "Ninja Gaiden Black", "Doom 3", "Chronicles of Riddick" and "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" (which looked considerably better on Xbox than GC).

Games running at 60 fps is developer's choice not that GC would somehow have magically better performance than Xbox.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

More RAM > faster RAM.

nameless12345

The Rogue Squadron games and the Resident Evil games were surely impressive but they were still no "Panzer Dragon Orta", "Ninja Gaiden Black", "Doom 3", "Chronicles of Riddick" and "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory" (which looked considerably better on Xbox than GC).

Games running at 60 fps is developer's choice not that GC would somehow have magically better performance than Xbox.

It's not just the RS games that are on par with those games tho, it's also MP 1+2, Starfox Adventures, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and F zero

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Also the best looking GC exclusives look just as good as xbox's while running 60 fps whereas most xbox exclusive ran at 30 fps and often dipped lower probably due to its weaker cpu.TheKingIAm

It's not just the RS games that are on par with those games tho, it's also MP 1+2, Starfox Adventures, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and F zero

From a technical perspective - not really.

If you want to talk aesthetics then yes, I'd agree the art-directions in the games you mention still hold up well and they also run at consistently smooth framerates.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

If you want to talk aesthetics then yes, I'd agree the art-directions in the games you mention still hold up well and they also run at consistently smooth framerates.

Why not technical?
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Yo-SUP
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]It's not just the RS games that are on par with those games tho, it's also MP 1+2, Starfox Adventures, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and F zero

TheKingIAm

Why not technical?

There is nothing in those games that are technical powers. Especially sunshine, which has a to of flat and single colored textures as well as saturation issues. Ok water though.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#87 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Yo-SUP

Why not technical?

There is nothing in those games that are technical powers. Especially sunshine, which has a to of flat and single colored textures as well as saturation issues. Ok water though.

Of all the complaints a person could have about Sunshine, not enough color is not one of them. You could say it strayed too far from the Mario formula. You could say the Fludd device was a pain in the butt. You could say repeating areas got tiresome. You could complain about the camera.

However, you are completely color blind if you think Sunshine has flat singled colored textures. It's bright, colorful, and eye-popping. It was one of the most eye-catching games of that generation because of the splash of colors all over the place.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Why not technical?Emerald_Warrior

Of all the complaints a person could have about Sunshine, not enough color is not one of them. You could say it strayed too far from the Mario formula. You could say the Fludd device was a pain in the butt. You could say repeating areas got tiresome. You could complain about the camera.

However, you are completely color blind if you think Sunshine has flat singled colored textures. It's bright, colorful, and eye-popping. It was one of the most eye-catching games of that generation because of the splash of colors all over the place.

I never said sunshine didn't have enough color. You have no idea what I meant about flat and single colored textures otherwise you would not have made this odd claim. On many occasions, whether on object models, walls, buildings, and more you can find many places with flat textures in the game and many areas with single colored textures. Especially in the theme park.
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Yo-SUP

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Why not technical?Emerald_Warrior

I never said sunshine didn't have enough color. You have no idea what I meant about flat and single colored textures otherwise you would not have made this odd claim. On many occasions, whether on object models, walls, buildings, and more you can find many places with flat textures in the game and many areas with single colored textures. Especially in the theme park.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Emerald_Warrior

Flat, single color textures, huh?

http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/super-mario-sunshine.jpg

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Yo-SUP

Emerald_Warrior

A test many fail. Instead of asking for pictures to show you my point, you find one good shot and then basically say I'm wrong indirectly. So tell me, what's the reason that caused you not to ask me to show you my point with an open mind, and instead you chose to throw a jab at me like I had no clue what I was saying?

It would be great to talk about the topic in depth which is what the forum is about. But I am getting a superior-self. Vibe from you.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Yo-SUP

A test many fail. Instead of asking for pictures to show you my point, you find one good shot and then basically say I'm wrong indirectly. So tell me, what's the reason that caused you not to ask me to show you my point with an open mind, and instead you chose to throw a jab at me like I had no clue what I was saying?

It would be great to talk about the topic in depth which is what the forum is about. But I am getting a superior-self. Vibe from you.

Okay then, here's a couple more:

http://gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sms-water.jpghttp://25.media.tumblr.com/b609e5b7fa11e188fdf81bd73fc18cf7/tumblr_mmpwzazxXI1qbhhxgo1_500.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mxTnI00zns4/TbYn-a8Yh0I/AAAAAAAABj0/WA6rGT8S0Fs/s320/Super%2BMario%2BSunshine%2BTightrope.jpghttp://jesulink.com/img/post/2013/mario-sunshine.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine's textures and colors are not flat or plain looking in the slightest. Bright, colorful, and vibant, as I said. Grade-A Nintendo polish, as usual.

No superiority, just pointing out that it looks great for the last generation.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Xbox was the most powerful of last gen but PS2 was the best last gen console, and the last great Playstation console!

GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Xbox was the graphical powerhouse of last gen, like someone posted already in terms of graphics it was Xbox> Gamecube> Playstation 2> Dreamcast.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheKingIAm

Yo-SUP

Why not technical?

....Seriously? MP 2 looks better than just about every xbox game. The only thing it lacked was bump mapping. Ok, here's an article I found explaining the gc vs xbox. here The thing about the xbox was that is had so many bottlenecks unlike the gc. Since the GC gpu was custom made to excel at certain effects its performance didnt drop performance when applied like the xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Why not technical?TheKingIAm

....Seriously? MP 2 looks better than just about every xbox game. The only thing it lacked was bump mapping. Ok, here's an article I found explaining the gc vs xbox. here The thing about the xbox was that is had so many bottlenecks unlike the gc. Since the GC gpu was custom made to excel at certain effects its performance didnt drop performance when applied like the xbox

That read pretty much sums it up and kills the xbox illusion once again.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Yo-SUP
Okay then, here's a couple more:No superiority, just pointing out that it looks great for the last generation.Emerald_Warrior
      I circled some big ones in red, although there are others in the pictures. if you somehow think there are none after looking at these pictures than agree to disagree, but i think anyone can see some of them fro these pictures. It's all over the game, and changes based on how far or close you are. It's also a bit jaggy. Oh my friend i forgot something important, your 2nd picture is emulated, not sure about the others, but that 2nd pic is clearly emulated or it was messed with. I do agree with you that it is a good looking gamecube game still even with these issues.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]It's not just the RS games that are on par with those games tho, it's also MP 1+2, Starfox Adventures, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and F zero

TheKingIAm

Why not technical?

They were impressive for the hardware they were running on but you're still comparing DX7 level hardware to DX8.1 level hardware:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100#R100.27s_pixel_shaders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_3_Series#Programmable_shaders_and_new_features

There's no way GC's "similar to Radeon 7500" GPU was in the same performance and feature set class as Xbox's customized GeForce 3 GPU.

Skilled devs can get good effects out of fixed-function shaders (the water in Sunshine being a prime example), still, devs would have problems re-creating some of the effects Xbox had no issues with on the GameCube. (like normal mapping for example)

The CPU in GC mostly handles the geometry and physics/AI/game logic and altho you can get some custom lighting effects on it (likely used just in non-gameplay cut-scenes), I wouldn't say it makes a "world of difference".

A better GPU will always be better for graphics than a better CPU.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 nameless12345

Yo-SUP

Why not technical?

Yeah, a lot of GC games had rather low-rez, blurry textures. (even the "technically superior" ones)

Xbox games were certainly better at textures. (unless they traded in the texture detail for intensive bump-mapping like Doom 3, Riddick and Halo 2 did, which was also impressive)

Take away the water effects from Sunshine and you have a nice PS2 game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Yo-SUP"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Why not technical?TheKingIAm

Define "looking better".

If you mean art-style, that's subjective.

If we debate this then Xbox's port of Unreal 2 would be a strong contestant too.

GC's GPU was as good as the dev maked it to be.

The Factor 5 guys obviously were very good with GC's hardware and willing to spend time and resource writing new effects for the system.

But when it comes to raw performance and hardware supported effects, it was clearly bellow Xbox's.

The PowerPC CPU in GC was not leagues ahead of the P3-based CPU in Xbox either, it was just more suited for graphics-oriented tasks. (while Xbox's CPU could do physics and AI unseen in any GC games)

And I already explained that faster RAM isn't necessarily better than slower but more RAM.