Video games shouldnt cost $69.99

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soldine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 soldine
Member since 2007 • 1980 Posts

$59 was enough and now new games are an extra ten dollers? thats bull.

The_Sand_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_Sand_Man
Member since 2008 • 6788 Posts
Isn't that only for legendary editions? Highest i've seen is 59.99 for regular versions.
Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
You can always wait for them to drop in price.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Indeed they shouldn't. What difference will this thread make?

teh_fish_stick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 teh_fish_stick
Member since 2009 • 2245 Posts

It's wierd how the prices of new video games keep rising when we're in an economic crisis.

Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

It's wierd how the prices of new video games keep rising when we're in an economic crisis.

teh_fish_stick

Put it this way...Game publishers/manufacturers are losing money due to the economic crisis, as people can't afford to buy as many games as they did previously. So they figure if they jack-up the prices by $10.00, the people who were still going to buy the games will pay that increase, and they'd have to sell fewer total games to make the profit they would have made a year ago when there was no economic crisis. It's simple really, but it sucks for us consumers.

NouaShax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NouaShax
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

What game cost that much?

Dragondex100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dragondex100
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Yeah, the prices of games suck nowadays. Over here in Aus, new games usually cost $79.99 to $89.99. When the PS3 first came out, the games cost around $119.99. Some games still do.
Avatar image for TheChosenTurkey
TheChosenTurkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheChosenTurkey
Member since 2009 • 235 Posts

Yeah, the prices of games suck nowadays. Over here in Aus, new games usually cost $79.99 to $89.99. When the PS3 first came out, the games cost around $119.99. Some games still do.Dragondex100

I live in Australia too. Most new release games go for $120 (Fallout 3 :cry: ).

Then I said **** that chicken nuggets turkey sauce, Imma buy off ebay.

And I lived happily ever after.

The end.

Hydra-Monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hydra-Monster
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts
this is totally a **** even they have extra disk to get extra dollar!
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Even at $70 that's still cheaper than most non-US countries have to pay for their games :(
callthepress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 callthepress
Member since 2005 • 705 Posts

The price of games these days are why I only get my games off eBay. You can wait like... 2 or so months and get games mint condition $10-$15 dollars off the normal price.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

PC games are still $50. Thats all i care about. So im fine.

shemrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 shemrom
Member since 2005 • 1206 Posts

well games are indee getting a littel too high in price, but what can we do, we are still going to buy them, espically the ones we really want.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Thats why I buy games at Gamestop used.

Btw don't give me that "oh video games are expensive to make QQness",guess what movies (most of them) are 200 times more expensive to make than video games and guess what it costs $10 if you want to see it in the movie then $20 if you want to buy it on dvd later,thats $30 cheaper than buying a freaking video game.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Btw don't give me that "oh video games are expensive to make QQness",guess what movies (most of them) are 200 times more expensive to make than video games and guess what it costs $10 if you want to see it in the movie then $20 if you want to buy it on dvd later,thats $30 cheaper than buying a freaking video game.

Ballroompirate

Video games are different from movies in 2 major ways- they do not have longevity, and the audience for video games is WAY smaller than the audience for a movie. If video games were as popular as movies, they would be able to price them cheaper.

Also, if you insist on buying used games, don't buy them at Gamestop. Amazon.com usually beats their price, as does almost every local store in my area.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Isn't that only for legendary editions? Highest i've seen is 59.99 for regular versions. The_Sand_Man

IDK where you live, but SF IV was $70, so is Afro Samurai, I'm sure there's others that don't immediately come to mind.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Before you foreigners complain, what is the minimum wage in your country? UK people always moan, but minimum wage is like $12 in the UK. In the US it's $6 something. You guys are all sitting on your infinite stacks of cash and swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck. Stop complaining.
PG_Chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PG_Chimp
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts
Just be patient and wait for price drops for the games you want to buy.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Before you foreigners complain, what is the minimum wage in your country? UK people always moan, but minimum wage is like $12 in the UK. In the US it's $6 something. You guys are all sitting on your infinite stacks of cash and swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck. Stop complaining.Senor_Kami

But every economy works differently. Different tax systems and everything. BTW the UK doesn't work on dollars.
You're defending an increase in the cost of games? Yeeeeeeah...

BatP59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BatP59
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

That's why I almost always get games used. You can save $5 to $10 that way. Halo Wars was (and might still be) $70 when it came out, GH Metallica is.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

Well to the TC a little more context such as where you live and what games you are talking about ie. regular editions or collector editions would have helped. Anyway here in Canada the regular edition of games from this current gen were $70 for PS3/360 and $60 for Wii typically but then our dollar's value against US currency went up substantially fluctuating between par or higher so there was a drop in prices in the games accordingly to $60 for PS3/360 games and $50 for Wii titles. Now our dollar has been below par for awhile so recently prices on games have been reflecting this so the prices on games aren't increasing it's simply an economic reaction to our currency's value.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#23 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

Good news! I'm the guy that decides the prices for all videogames, and YOU'VE JUST CONVINCED ME!!!

Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

Games in the United States (Which areusually $60 maximum for regular versions) should cost as a maximum of $40. That proportion should apply to all countries.

rising141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rising141
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

[QUOTE="teh_fish_stick"]

JannettyTRocker

Put it this way...Game publishers/manufacturers are losing money due to the economic crisis, as people can't afford to buy as many games as they did previously. So they figure if they jack-up the prices by $10.00, the people who were still going to buy the games will pay that increase, and they'd have to sell fewer total games to make the profit they would have made a year ago when there was no economic crisis. It's simple really, but it sucks for us consumers.

yea poor developers losing so much money.. they must be living real hard times.. a game takes work to do but 60 dollars a piece?? i could buy many different valuable things with that money and for most games its just incredibly wrong to charge that, the difference of prices is also ridiculous in amazon i can pay 2 almost new games for the same price i only buy games that way or used its the only way to get very good deals.

more people arent in gaming simply because it isnt affordable and i dont see why it cant be, its a form of entertainment like any other it doesnt have to be that expensive greedy bastards.. unfortanetly gamimg is the only thing where i get abused like this

Ikouze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ikouze
Member since 2009 • 2027 Posts

$59 was enough and now new games are an extra ten dollars? That's bull.

soldine
Seriously they are? Whoa. That's a bit too much. In the next 2 years, it'll probably be 80 bucks.
calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#27 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Because of the economic crisis in Iceland, one new game costs the equivalent of 79.99 dollars in the least expensive ones, and about 99.99 dollars in the most expensive ones, so 69.99 would be a godsend for me.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
And you are not even taking into account what a game will finally end up costing to the consumer if DLC is entered into the equation.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Phantasy Star II cost $80 upon it's original release date. And that was way back in 1990.

It really wasn't unusual for some games to cost around $70 (both cartridge and CD-ROM format) during those days. Prices where nowhere near as stable back then as there have been these past 2 gaming generations.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts

And that if you live in the US, here in Mexico they wanted me to pay $60 for a new copy of Persona 4 and they're asking $100 for Resident Evil 5, like hell I'm paying that much for a game.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#31 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Why not? games are expensive to produce, and they just keep becomming more expensive as development becomes more complicated and teams get bigger. Couple that with inflation, and I do't see why people are making such a big thing of it.

evildevil97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 evildevil97
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts

Phantasy Star II cost $80 upon it's original release date. And that was way back in 1990.

It really wasn't unusual for some games to cost around $70 (both cartridge and CD-ROM format) during those days. Prices where nowhere near as stable back then as there have been these past 2 gaming generations.

Panzer_Zwei
I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. Super Mario RPG was somewhere between $60 and $70, for example. (I haven't paid attention to the price until late that generation.) While I try to avoid buying games over $50, and have yet to see them over $60, the prices have been worse in the past. Would you rather pay $70 for a 16-bit game, or pay $70 for a game on the 360 or PS3?
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#33 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Ballroompirate

Yes, but the market for movies is considerably bigger for movies than it is for video games