Video games aren't as good as they used to be?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

epicman129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 epicman129
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts
Is it me or video games are going down hill? I mean they just aren't fun to play anymore. Discuss...
tarynghost23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tarynghost23
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
hmm, it depends on what games ur interested in. like if theres a game that gets everyone mad cause they keep dying they might hate it but if u like those kinda games then ok then
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Video games today are just as good as ever. Don't let nostalgia blind you from that fact.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

10 years from now people will say the same thing.

Thing is..Oldschool is merging with new school thanks to digital distribution.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts
to me they just keep getting better
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i think some games arent as enjoyable as they use to be but there are alot of good games. maybe they are being way to commercialize or perhaps the market is flooded.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

yes we all need more action 52's and simon's quests.. thats exactly what we need :roll:

theres a lovely simple flash set over at the escapist that covers whats changed from old games and new games

whats changed is that game developers have lost the ability to impress by mechanics alone or make profound statements with the gameplay itself

they have learned to focus on the other parts of the game and tossed this concept out the window as its wayyy too much work and too many duds result from it

and that is what has changed beyond that games have gotten MUCH better.

so its a case of them not trying to re-invent the wheel.. and i think thats a good thing.. the last thing we need is people trying to raise the dead and ruining them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA770wpLX-Q

poisonelf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 poisonelf1
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
I believe its evolution of gaming. First online pvp came out they didn't expect all the hacking and directions people went. At least then though everyone was on dial-up. In comparison, people are still on dial up, as well as high end connections. Add to that taking the graphics to very edge always, and graphic cards always trailing to keep up. Much of my experience is being able to run at the top end will make quite a differance in excitement, versus what to always cut off for performance. Quite a large gap here now. What seems to get me the most is ya get finally something good going, and company's do everything they can possible to ruin it, lol. Based on my conclusion, that what customers want is what they don't get, I find a games life is shorter and shorter. Start up in a game, and get out before they start messing it all up, jump to the next start up. The longer your loyal, the less you get back. Single player games eventually run into how long can ya go just doing a single solo thing before ya jump into something with more interaction. So I think its definitely the perspective, personalities, and game play for each individual to answer something like this.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Nostalgia goggles. Games today are just as good (if not better) than they used to be. Certain genres are in various stages of disarray - platformers, mostly - but most of them are better than ever, and even adventure games are seeing a massive surge. My only complaint would be the insane number of shooters out there, but that's just what's popular today and the oversaturation of Call of Duty games doesn't affect the quality of everything else. Unfortunately, it does affect the sales.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I think gaming has reached the top until we get brand new technology, referring to the next gen consoles. (ps4, xbox 360-2 ETC) From the top there's only one way, which is down. We are getting all kinds of good stuff that we would very much enjoy if it were 2006 but we've played everything. Games haven't improved much the last 3 years or so.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2545-Narrative-Mechanics

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
You probably take a lot of things for granted. I was playing through the Baldur's Gate games again recently, still fun, but some gameplay hadn't aged well. And when I was playing it I realized that many newer games can do great visual things for a story.
Roweanos313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Roweanos313
Member since 2009 • 593 Posts

well, imo i would take a gameboy& games over ANY next gen console or games. because they are more fun and i dont call the gamea noob every 5 minutes

epicman129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 epicman129
Member since 2010 • 139 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2545-Narrative-Mechanics

ionusX
I must say that was a great vid.
trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

I think it has really been kind of hit and miss this generation.

For the 3rd through 6th gens it was fairly easy to buy games at random play and enjoy the unique experiences.

I think this generation of home consoles has had some excellent games, a lot of mediocre games, and a TON of shovel-ware. At first people were still willing to buy a large variety of games, but as they got burned by shovel ware, higher base prices, and misleading over-hype, they got more risk adverse and cynical.

Now days, when people buy games its guided pretty strictly by consumer research rather than impulse buys. So people tend to buy a lot of sequels, etc. and get burnt out on those games.

...and, devs have often (but not always) been cutting corners this generation on game content and gameplay depth; they do this in hopes of increasing profits through cutting costs by removing content entirely or selling it as DLC and increasing the game's "accessibility". (I would prefer they would instead reduce the game's graphics to reduces costs)

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

Not necessarily. There have always been lousy games. However, what has changed is that they have gotten far easier (ignoring shoddy controls) in order to cater to the masses. I think what makes it seem like games have gotten worse is because there is very little imagination any more. It's all about the bottom line. And you can't blame them for it, but you can certainly be upset about it.

Gameplay mechanics have gotten far more complicated over time but just because that happens doesn't mean it's harder. Way back when losing was often brutal and resulted in a lot of hard work gone to waste. Now games constantly spoon feed you stuff without any real punishment for failure which was one thing that made games feel like a huge accomplishment. However, newer gamers who got into gaming when the PS2, xbox, and Gamecube came out never really had a chance to experience this. So this leads to a lack of feeling as rewarded as it was in the past because you get constantly rewarded for playing without much effort. I think that is a factor for why older gamers feel like games have gotten worse, if that is actually worse, I think is pretty much subjective.

Another reason would be sequels. Rather than risk a new IP developers would rather milk a franchise for all it's worth. I'm sure you will all start to think of Activision but every company does this. Even the oh so loved Valve will milk it's franchises to death. Even if it is at a slower pace. Froth at the mouth about it all you want but that doesn't change the truth. Now milking a franchise isn't always bad. If people like something, why not release a sequel and make improvements. However, many companies don't actual make any improvements at all. The best example, though I hate to use it, is Call of Duty. The numerous issues like too much aim assist, dodgy matchmaking, hit markers, and weird lag that behaves entirely different from lag found in other shooters were never addressed. Where as in Mass Effect 2, I don't like the simplification of the inventory, and the lack of armour pieces was disappointing, did make improvements. They got rid of the Mako business which was tedious and no one liked it. That's not to say the new method is any better but they removed what people didn't like.

Graphics have improved significantly which can be seen as both a plus and a minus. It can really help you get immersed in a game but too many companies don't want to put the effort in to make the gameplay good as well. It is often one or the other which is far more prevalent now than it has been in the past. Quality graphics have become expected, which was not as much of an issue in the past. So now companies are harder pressed and as I said earlier, many companies don't want to put in the effort, and would rather just make a quick buck.

The advent of online gaming like pretty much everything else, has it's ups and downs. It is now far easier to fix a glitch in a game than it has been in the past. It also encourages designing quality multiplayer. Once again though, many developers aren't willing to have both a quality single player and multiplayer experience due to sheer laziness. Defend them all you want, but you know it's true. That's not to say it's the the average programmer's fault. Rather, it is the fact that companies are unwilling to hire the amount of staff needed because that would hurt there big fat pay checks. So rather than greatly increasing the amount of staff so that the workers aren't over-worked, they try to hire as few as possible. This puts strain on them and thus results in a shoddy experience. I'll get more into the financial stuff later. For now, back to online. This has also lead to developers releasing content that was once free when online gaming first came around for a price. The most notable would definitely be maps. Where once they are free, they no longer are. And once again, newer gamers won't have experienced that free content so they see nothing wrong with what happens now. So that may be a factor as to why games today may seem of lower quality. Not necessarily because they are worse, but because there isn't as much being given to people for free. This also leads to actually paying more because a series of small fees may make it seem like you are spending less money, when in actuality you are spending more. Then you add in that when/if they do release an expansion pack, and the fact that they have always been hit and miss, the misses now have a significant larger impact because of the negative feeling already due to feeling ripped off by DLC. Hence why that may add to games feeling like they have gotten worse.

Next up financing and marketing. As games get more popular, the more money there is to be made obviously. Doesn't take very many brain cells to be able to figure that out. However, this also brings in big businesses. And as we all know, they only care about profit. Period. So the games they release will cut as many corners as possible and play on the psychology of buyers to earn money. What is very important though, is the increase in marketing for these games. Seeing them everywhere increases the impact they have when they are released. And because marketing has increased vastly over the years it means that when these games are released they have a significant impact towards your views of games today based on whether you like them or not.

Another thing to remember is that there are more games being released these days than there were in the past. Meaning there are significantly more stinkers and shovelware. But also more quality games. However, we humans are very good at pointing out the negatives of something, and they often overshadow the positives. (I won't go into detail about that and the studies because that will lead to an entirely different discussion). So combine the fact that humans will point out the negatives far more than the positives, with the increased number of games and you may have the most significant reason for people thinking games have gotten worse.

On a final note, these increases also bring out significantly more fanboys whom can be quite agitating for some people. That strengthens that feeling that games have gotten worse despite the game not being the cause, it's the fanboys defending a game you don't like. nostalgia also plays a large role too but that's very obvious. It can of course mean that modern sequels to very old games may seem far better than they actually are due to name, having visual and audio similarities, and basic gameplay similarities. At the same time it can also make older gamers feel "betrayed" if the game has changed quite a bit and may seem like they are using the name only to get a few more sales.

That's all that really comes to mind right now. Sorry if some of that doesn't make sense, not exactly the most articulate person. :P

TL;DR

Games probably haven't gotten worse, it may seem that way due to various psychological factors. And obviously, it's highly subjective.

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

They're not getting worse but single player is becoming shorter and less a priority, I love multiplayer just as much as the next guy but games even seven years ago were much longer than games today. I remember playing the single player for a game and when I beat it I felt satisfied, like I have finally reached the end and got all the answers and I had a lot of fun doing it and not only that but it took a while to reach the end.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Games are just as good now as they were 10 years ago. and 10 years before that.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Video games today are just as good as ever. Don't let nostalgia blind you from that fact.Cube_of_MooN

I highly agree, I mean don't get me wrong theres a lot of great games from the snes, ps1 and n64 era but this gen just has so many games that I've enjoyed.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yeah, they're not as good... they're better. Production values have gone up, tons of hardware and programming innovations have lead to new ideas being quickly integrated into many games, and new distribution services have allowed people who normally couldn't afford to distribute their ideas to get them out there.

Only people looking back on the 1990's with nostalgic fondness cannot admit that games are "better" now than they were. Either in terms of design or technology.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

They're a lot better than the stuff I used to play 10 years ago.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

ofc they are better people just get tired of everything and they like to complain, a lot. I take for example bulletstorm, a game that focused solely on the purporse of having fun but some people just concentrate on stuff like "it didn't reinvent fps" or "another shooter did x or y first"

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'd agree that role playing games havent been as fun for me for the past couple generations.
Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts
I think it's a state of mind. Personally, the Mass Effect series has been the best I've played in years.
Is it me or video games are going down hill? I mean they just aren't fun to play anymore. Discuss... epicman129
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

WRPG stories have not improve that much and even went down.

Most of BioWare's games use the Zelda plot. Something bad is going on and the play need to gather (triforce pieces/starmap piece/clues/teammate/loyalty) to stop (ganondorf/sith/saren/collectors/blight).

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Most of BioWare's games use the Zelda plot. Something bad is going on and the play need to gather (triforce pieces/starmap piece/clues/teammate/loyalty) to stop (ganondorf/sith/saren/collectors/blight).

wiouds

Mass Effect pretty much put WRPGs in a good position. JRPGs on the other hand have been going down the hill every year this gen.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

Ballroompirate

Mass Effect pretty much put WRPGs in a good position. JRPGs on the other hand have been going down the hill every year this gen.

That is funny. I found that WRPG have not improved and even went back.

I found FF13 to be a very good story with all the character a part of the story. They felt more real to me and were good characters.

Mass Effect characters feel like they are just reskined old characters.

@Ballroompirate
I hope you do not think I am attacking what you think.

Hodgelog3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hodgelog3
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

I agree 1985-2001 in video games was amazing it has all gone downhill on the fun scale, in my opinion.

-Kaoru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Kaoru-
Member since 2003 • 4471 Posts

I dont think thats the case. But, we have all seen the monumental disasters that bad sequels can do. For example: back in the day the Sonic series were the sh1t while now it IS sh1t.

And in most cases bad choices: like games that shouldnt be online at all are ruined by cooperative gameplay like FEAR 2. We have all seen the case also with Bisochock 2.

Its not the games, its our time. And times are changing so fast that some games are caught up in between and end up being utter crap.

-Kaoru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Kaoru-

I'd agree that role playing games havent been as fun for me for the past couple generations.Allicrombie

ha! with the huge bag of rpgs ive played so far, i could agree that this generation has yet to surprise me. Im still waiting for the next Vagrant Story for example.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

I think that Video Games changed overtime. I'm pretty sure that people who grew up in the 80's thought that video games weren't what they used to be in the 90's. Its just more of a genertaional thing. But I always love to go back to play the classics .

-Kaoru-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Kaoru-

I think that Video Games changed overtime. I'm pretty sure that people who grew up in the 80's thought that video games weren't what they used to be in the 90's. Its just more of a genertaional thing. But I always love to go back to play the classics .

HaloPimp978

Allow me to dissent, but i dont think its a generational matter. A good game is a good game regardless of its time. Like i said, if they at least try to make a good Sonic game, it could be the new Sonic of this generation, instead all we see is that they are going to release Sonic 2 in HD again haha.
Sometimes its incredible the lack of imagination some companies have. Thats just an example. Look at Katamary Damacy, thats a game that could have had huge success back in the 32 bit consoles aswell.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'd agree that role playing games havent been as fun for me for the past couple generations.Allicrombie

This. I am currently playing through the legend of dragoon again and I have 40+ hours put in and im only halfway through it. Older games are a lot more fun and much better than some games these days.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

One thing i actually liked about old game was difficulty, even if sometimes it was just bad design it gave the game challenge...now days you can beat anygame ur first time through on the hardest setting without much trouble.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#35 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

You began with a sweeping generalization then just listed one company as an example while ignoring the fact that they created a series that checks the decisions made in previous games and carries those decisions to the next...something that no other game/company has done before. so instead of proving that games are devolving, you proved that they are evolving.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

smerlus

You began with a sweeping generalization then just listed one company as an example while ignoring the fact that they created a series that checks the decisions made in previous games and carries those decisions to the next...something that no other game/company has done before. so instead of proving that games are devolving, you proved that they are evolving.

So you saying they are evolving because of one small change. Yet JRPG have change more than one small change and many says they are not evolving? What about Digital Devil Saga? You make a few choices in the first game and that had an affect on the second game.

Fry60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fry60
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts
I think maybe they are not as good but I try to not think about it and enjoy what we have now. There are plenty of good games to play even if there might be less really exceptional ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

So you saying they are evolving because of one small change. Yet JRPG have change more than one small change and many says they are not evolving? What about Digital Devil Saga? You make a few choices in the first game and that had an affect on the second game.

What about DDS? I hope you're not comparing importing a saved character for small bonuses to a game that changes according to the decisions you make. WRPG's have had character imports since the days of Ultima and Bioware even let you import characters saves across the Baldur's Gate games into Neverwinter Nights.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] You began with a sweeping generalization then just listed one company as an example while ignoring the fact that they created a series that checks the decisions made in previous games and carries those decisions to the next...something that no other game/company has done before. so instead of proving that games are devolving, you proved that they are evolving.smerlus

What about DDS? I hope you're not comparing importing a saved character for small bonuses to a game that changes according to the decisions you make. WRPG's have had character imports since the days of Ultima and Bioware even let you import characters saves across the Baldur's Gate games into Neverwinter Nights.

In Digital Devil Saga decisions made in previous games and carries those decisions to the next.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 190586385885857957282413308806

In Digital Devil Saga decisions made in previous games and carries those decisions to the next.

wiouds
False. The story doesn't change you only unlock abilities/character.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

smerlus

So now you are adding details to it after the fact and saying that as why I am wrong. Not once did I see you talk about story. I have yet too see any of BioWare's stories really change because of the choices I have made in early games. If they only thing that change is at the very end then I would not be impress.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#42 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I think the commercialization of the games industry has alot to do with the marked decline in quality of games we've seen. Developers were of course always trying to make a living by making games, but as publishers have gotten bigger and greedier, they've realized that they can get away with so much more BS. Unfinished products, sloppy ports, derivative gameplay, rip off DLC, increases in overall price, and franchise milking all stem directly from this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

So now you are adding details to it after the fact and saying that as why I am wrong. Not once did I see you talk about story. I have yet too see any of BioWare's stories really change because of the choices I have made in early games. If they only thing that change is at the very end then I would not be impress.

I just assumed we were talking about story because your post mentioned same plot, then i quoted that and mentioned that BioWare added something that no other company has done before, then you mention DDS which wasn't original because WRPG's were letting me import character roughly a decade before that game did that.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"] False. The story doesn't change you only unlock abilities/character.smerlus

I just assumed we were talking about story because your post mentioned same plot, then i quoted that and mentioned that BioWare added something that no other company has done before, then you mention DDS which wasn't original because WRPG's were letting me import character roughly a decade before that game did that.

Alright, I have not see the change to the plot from the choices from BioWare games.

THere have been other games like Gothica 4, Risen, Two World, Two World 2 which have not done much that is new.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 190586385885857957282413308806
wiouds
and there are Dragon Quest games that have remained almost unchanged for 3 decades the difference in the comparison is that Gothic 4, Risen, and Two Worlds aren't that popular while Dragon Quest games are extremely popular in Japan. Also since JRPG fans take gameplay portions like Espers > Materia > whatever they call them these days even though they function in similar ways, as leaps in innovation then I think Two Worlds 2's crafting and spell system could be considered innovation along with Divinity 2's Dragon Form and Mindreading, Fallout 3's VATS and things such as that. it's too bad none of those things are really genre changing.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]smerlus
and there are Dragon Quest games that have remained almost unchanged for 3 decades the difference in the comparison is that Gothic 4, Risen, and Two Worlds aren't that popular while Dragon Quest games are extremely popular in Japan. Also since JRPG fans take gameplay portions like Espers > Materia > whatever they call them these days even though they function in similar ways, as leaps in innovation then I think Two Worlds 2's crafting and spell system could be considered innovation along with Divinity 2's Dragon Form and Mindreading, Fallout 3's VATS and things such as that. it's too bad none of those things are really genre changing.

I have been impress with some JRPG gameplay changes. FF13 was a fun real time gameplay and the enemies are some of the richest I see then gen. Resonance of Fate game play is very different.

I think WRPG and JRPG have been about the same innovation done to them. I just have not been impress by the stories that are coming from WRPG.

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

I'd have to agree. I miss the good old days. There's way too many shooters and less innovation.

i3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 i3DS
Member since 2011 • 445 Posts
Games are as popular and better than they have ever been.
VideoGames2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VideoGames2011
I think it depends on the game genre. Some genres are going downhill while others are advancing
rogersjbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rogersjbr
I would like to know what games you are talking about... www.aeroplanesimulator.com Pro Flight Simulator is really good..