Very Stubborn NES cartridge :/

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pataponplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 pataponplayer
Member since 2009 • 1410 Posts

Ok I want to make this quick.

I recently discovered my NES in the attic. Out of the 26 or so games the only one of which does not work is my all-time favorite Super Mario Bros. 3. I have:

1. Blown the dust out

2. Cleaned Pins with Q-Tip & Windex

What I have NOT done:

1. Replaced 72-pin connector (though I find this unnecesary as all my other games work.)

2. Opened cartridge.

So overall I am just wondering. Why won't this game work? And does anyone have a fix?

Thanks.

fablesway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 fablesway
Member since 2011 • 23504 Posts

No not super mario bros 3 best game ever, anyways back on topic what i do when my cartridges are not working right i put the game in like normal and once i push it down, i then pull the cart ever so lightly back up to the front as far as it will go while it is pushed down of course, and for the most part it has worked for me

JunkTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JunkTrap
Member since 2006 • 2640 Posts
I know that all NES would eventually have problems reading cartridges. I used to breath moisture into the games before inserting them like I was blowing bad breath into someone's face, not that I do that anymore (maybe like 20 years ago I did). It used to work all the time but I don't know if it's bad for the pins.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#4 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

The last time I had trouble with a NES game I used rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip on the connectors - not sure if that's much different than what you tried with the Windex though.

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

Sometimes what I try is turning it on wit hthe game in there, and if you get the flashing screen where the power light flashes, you can try to move the game left and right inside, and it will eventually hit that connector pin in just the right way to get t to work. Worth a shot if you haven't messed with it that way yet.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#6 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts

The last time I had trouble with a NES game I used rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip on the connectors - not sure if that's much different than what you tried with the Windex though.

d_parker
That's exactly what I do and it almost works every time. I had trouble playing Dragon Warrior II and it simply would NOT play, so I did this technique and it worked like a charm. I'd suggest this if you haven't done the alcohol yet.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Very rarely do nes carts actually have issues with the PRG and CHR chips on the board. chances are somehow it incurred some damage. Heres my advice, get an 8mm security bit to open the cart and get an eraser and rub the pins, thats a surefire way to clean it. Also you may want to do some maintenance on the 72-pin connector in the NES, It's not hard to disassemble either, and clean it with a tooth brush (yes a toothbrush)
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

well you know, you can try all you want, BUT sometimes the game is just worn out. I have a few in my collection that just rarely work.

If all of your games but 1 game work, then its probably the game that is getting too worn. Look carefully at the actual game. if you can see it looks to be in bad shape (compared to your other games that work), then you know its time to replace it.