Underrated Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts

so what are some games that the gamespot reviewers always seem to give a far lower score than they deserve?

for me its the Dynasty Warriors series, I've played all of them and they are some of my favorite games on the Ps2

easteast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#2 easteast
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts
Table Tennis. It has really detailed graphics and nice gameplay.
EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
The Suffering for ps2. Might not be tooo original, but it had great action and three different endings.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
Killer7, and God Hand
Avatar image for HardcoreKiller2
HardcoreKiller2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HardcoreKiller2
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts
Shenmue is underated. it deserves at least a 8.5-9.0+ IMO.
BettyBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 BettyBot
Member since 2004 • 1195 Posts
Killer7, and God Handdante_123456
The review for God Hand is pretty favorable, I don't think an 8 for that game qualifies as underrated.
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 Myviewing
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
In my opinion, I feel that Custom Robo is the most underrated game that has been reviewed. I think Yoshi's Story also received an unfair treatment and also Transformers and Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon didn't get as high of scores as I thought they should have. It's pretty fun to declare a game underrated, it makes you feel like you've hit something the reviewer failed to see.
MeanQuestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MeanQuestion
Member since 2004 • 4456 Posts
I just love Jumping Flash. I know it's a bad game, but something that fun deserves better reviews (from everyone, not just gamespot).
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Here on GS, the most epic underscores "IMO" have been:

Tales of Destiny 4.9

Groove on Fight 6.3

Burning Rangers 6.2

Shenmue 6.8 (was later changed to 7.8 go firgure...)

KyanMehwulfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KyanMehwulfe
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts
Most underrated games like have justified scores because they're reviewed for the average gamer, not the niche gamer the game is designed for. Which breaks away from any specific game and opens the topic of reviewing in general, and what stance you should take. Average gamer or its core audience? Someone new and refreshed, or someone who may feel stale towards it after 8 years? Et cetera. GameSpot seems to take a fairly average gamer approach, but then tries to point out any details which may stand out for that game's niche. But the scores themselves are still fairly justified by that logic. Still, I see where your sentiment is coming from. For me, I'd go with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The only big site I ever see it get regular love at is IGN since they have a Rot3K fan running their PlayStation channels.
Mexaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mexaman
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

The most underrated game on GameSpot and any where else in my opinion is "Syphon Filter:2". It was not a perfect game but it was not bad. It was enjoyable, I have seen it being rated 4.0 and lower where I would rate it 8.5. That is just me though as I loved the game and grew up playin it.

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts

As I could not possibly care less about the scores or reviews given by Gamespot, I'll go ahead and use a defintion of underrated that isn't made of failure. The series I have in mind hasn't even been reviewed by Gamespot. Hell, the series has 10 games plus spinoffs and only one is listed here.

Touhou is the heigth of artistic achievement in gaming. Add to that gameplay that can be referred to as nothing less than godly, and you have something deserving of worship. Which, in Japan at least, it pretty much gets.

The Touhou Project is not for those who are unwilling to be faced with a challenge. Even on the easiest difficulty, the game can be incredibly hard. And to be able to keep up with the highest difficulty, Insane, even briefly takes tremendous skill and finely honed reflexes. To excel in Touhou one must memorize the bullet patterns deployed by the enemies and be able to respond to them perfectly.

Although it has no need of a powerful PC, and has fewer graphics options than a early-90's platformer, I would not hesitate to say that Touhou 08: Imperishable Night easily has the absolute best visual effects ever presented in a game. From the backgrounds, to the character designs, to the bullet patterns, the art of Touhou is absolutely breathtaking.

Touhou deserves more than mere praise. It deserves to be made into an officially recognized religion. It deserves shrines at which village people may offer fine silks and delicious cheeses. And yet, do the ignorant masses outside of Japan acknowledge Touhou as the heavenly experience beyond experiences that it is? No! Most who call themselves "gamers" have never even heard of it! And this is an insult. Not to me, not to Touhou, not to ZUN (the All Father and sole creator of Touhou), but to modern civilization as a whole. If we as a people cannot recoginze such a rare thing of pure bliss when it is brough into this world, then the human race is still in a pitiful state from which it must be dredged up and recrafted.