Two new reviews: Hollow Knight and Resident Evil VII: Gold Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Hello folks! It's been a while since I've written anything on here, but I'm back today with not one but two new reviews.

Hollow Knight review

Resident Evil VII Gold review

Anyone here have an opinion on either of these games? How did you enjoy them? Do you agree with what I wrote about them?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts
@turtlethetaffer said:

Anyone here have an opinion on either of these games? How did you enjoy them? Do you agree with what I wrote about them?

Can only speak for Resi7, while started poorly 'with an overly long walking simulator', it picks up and feels a lot like older Resident Evil games.

And while the first person perspective fights against the linear level design, and would have better suited third person. It's a strong return to form.

While Joe Bakers great DLC, the rest is forgettable outside of piecing together the story. And for all the things Resident Evil 7 does wrong I drastically prefer playing The Evil Within 2.

*Agree with the lack of creature variety in Resi7, but for the premise of the story it makes perfect sense. It's not the T-Virus which creates super soldier mutants, it's a girl spewing mold that turns people into mind slaves in an isolated/ and small swamp area.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Hollow Knight is one of the best gaming experience i had recently. I am still playing and can't seem to stop lol.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 turtlethetaffer

@Gamerno6666: I forced myself to stop due to backlog reasons once I got the normal ending where you only fight the Hollow Knight. I plan on going back to get the better endings at some point, but I had already put in like 35 hours and decided to move on to something else. But yes, it's a truly fantastic game!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

@RSM-HQ: I agree, I'm playing Evil within 2 right now and enjoying it more. It's a drastic change of pace from the first, which I enjoyed enough to play through three times despite its flaws. The story is actually fucking coherent and people act like real people, but there is more predictability with the environments. Even though the first game was messy with its "story" (term used loosely since it was more a series of things that happened) it gave the game an excuse to be playful with its enemies and levels, which was its strongest asset I think. 2 is by far a better game, but the structure does lead to a drastically different feeling.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RSM-HQ

@turtlethetaffer: You mean the Silent Hill inspired hub world areas? I agree that in these areas it's. . suppose the nicest word is 'generic', with too many recycled assets. However I find most the game to have a lot of creative variety in its areas outside the hub areas, even some maps mimicking the gritty hospital theme from the original.

Despite having its moments the game is not all 'scary' which I know some vocal Survival Horror fans only want consistently, but even the original TEW always focused a little more on the survival aspect; and The Evil Within 2 double downs on that in a more balanced way than the original. For level design and exploration think every part of TEW2 bests Resi 7.

For production-value and eerie vibes Resident Evil 7 is doing a better job, and Capcom do deserve credit for that. They're both must plays for Survival Horror fans that grew up on games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. And probably the best modern games to play before the Resident Evil 2 Remake drops.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@RSM-HQ: Just beat it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Story felt a bit over wraught, and the final boss was pretty weak, but on the whole I found it to be a better experience than RE7.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ

@turtlethetaffer: Yeah I agree. Last boss seemed rushed, I preferred the electric pylon enemy just before it.