Two 12-year old girls stab friend over video game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

This seems misleading to me. My understanding is that Slender Man is a fictonal character who was created outside of video games and appears in other mediums besides having appeared in a video game. It's also my understanding that the two girls attempted to kill the other girl because of the lore about having to commit murder to appease Slender Man which they found on a web site. Trying to link this to video games or even a specific video game is tenuous at best.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Mentally Ill ?

Sounds like two normal girls who just went crazy.

@Archangel3371

If my popculture knowledge is correct.... Slender Man originated from the internet.... The exact details escape me....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Original Article

Two Wisconsin girls, aged 12, have stabbed their best friend nearly to death in the woods to please the "Slender Man," a fictional video game character. The girls thought that Slender Man would let them move into his mansion if they acted as his proxy by murder.

Do video games have a profound affect on the mentally ill? How could this have been prevented?

Yes Video games is evil so please stop playing them right now.

On a more serious note, Slender man is indeed as the above mention a fictional character which had a videogame based on it and the lore surrounding the myth.

So pointing the blame on a videogame is just stupid.

This is two mentally ill unstable kids whose parents and society failed them.. and thats the sad thing. Instead of looking at themselfs they blame videogames

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but the article does not mention anything at all about video games. Yes, as some said, a video game character was created using the Slender Man myth, but everything I've read was that they only learned about it through a website. This could have been any numerous myths they decided to appease.

My question to you, TC, is why are you so quick to blame video games for this incident?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

So where were the parents?

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

No one ever blames parents. Blame the schools, blame the kids, blame the weapons (guns mostly) but don't you ever dare point your finger at that person who's taught them everything since birth. In 90% of cases where kids just lose their mind and do some crazy shit, the parents are the cause.

People might blame games or the internet for this one...I'm gonna keep pointing my finger.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Crypt_mx said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

No one ever blames parents. Blame the schools, blame the kids, blame the weapons (guns mostly) but don't you ever dare point your finger at that person who's taught them everything since birth. In 90% of cases where kids just lose their mind and do some crazy shit, the parents are the cause.

People might blame games or the internet for this one...I'm gonna keep pointing my finger.

Hell why not blame the kids for actually doing it. They might just be mental

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Crypt_mx said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Hell why not blame the kids for actually doing it. They might just be mental

Its just kids Ride.

But Crypt is right, the main culprit is the parents, and thats parents in every area of the scale. from the seemingly caring umbrella parents to the sick twisted dweeps who never should have had kids.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

It wasnt video games. They said they got the idea from Creepypasta site and slenderman stories are on there.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Theres a difference between being mentally ill and being a psychopath. I came down with paranoid schizophrenia 18 years ago and I'm not a murderer. Learn the difference. Most mentally ill people don't commit crimes. People that are mentally ill and commit crimes are criminally insane and unable to know write from wrong. People who kill in cold blood and know it's wrong but do it anyways are psychopaths. 1 in 10 people are psychopaths. 1 in 100 have schizophrenia.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

It sounds like young kids doing extreme things.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

For those wondering slenderman was created in a photo contest at the something rotten site. it has since become one of the biggest inspirations for creepypasta and spinpasta. the mythology has nothing to do with the games those are just game versions of fanfic, so yeah they may not even have played the game though its would not be the games fault. Anything can inspire those on the edge and have since the beginning of time. There are just as many that have killed for the bible and I am not talking inquisitions or holy wars, I mean garden variety psychos. I do believe media such as books, movies, games etc can be a catalyst and inspiritaion to the unquiet mind, but it is never the root cause.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

This.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattykovax

@jdc6305 said:

Theres a difference between being mentally ill and being a psychopath. I came down with paranoid schizophrenia 18 years ago and I'm not a murderer. Learn the difference. Most mentally ill people don't commit crimes. People that are mentally ill and commit crimes are criminally insane and unable to know write from wrong. People who kill in cold blood and know it's wrong but do it anyways are psychopaths. 1 in 10 people are psychopaths. 1 in 100 have schizophrenia.

Um....while the mentally ill are not all psychopaths , psychopaths are mentally ill. While I agree that most mentaly ill people are not dangerous your self preservation instincts are leading you into faulty thinking. Psychopaths are as mentally ill as a schizophrenic, its just a different type of mental illness. And most people that murder in cold blood and know its wrong are not psychopaths, there is more to being a psychopath than that.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#17 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

can't even trust your own friends. What a shame. When I was 12 I didn't have any thoughts like this...

i wonder if the internet could be to blame, seems sick minds get too much access to information too easily these days and this happens.

But they must be have been slightly retarded to think that killing their friend would get them into slendermans bachelor pad.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

It has nothing to do with the game, they did it cus they read it on creepy paste.
Should have posted this on off topic.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

mentally ill people could be affected by videogames, by movies, by media news, by newspapers, by books, by comics, hell they could even be affected by the bedtime-stories told from their parents....

......yeah...lets just forbid all those things

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattykovax

@jimmy_russell said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but the article does not mention anything at all about video games. Yes, as some said, a video game character was created using the Slender Man myth, but everything I've read was that they only learned about it through a website. This could have been any numerous myths they decided to appease.

My question to you, TC, is why are you so quick to blame video games for this incident?

I did not blame video games. I merely asked if video games have a profound affect on those suffering from mental illness. And I also asked us as a community to discuss what we could have done to prevent this, parents included.

Parents, and those around people need to take it seriously when they see signs of behavior problems or mental instability. And that is still not going to weed out all of the problems. So we do what the human species has done from the beginning of time, move on and live. However if we want to prevent as I said its about the people, not media in general. There is no need to punish everyone over the actions of a few mentally ill or not.

It reminds from when I was young some kid killed himself while listening to an Ozzy album that had the song Suicide Solution. the parents then sued. However the facts are that the song is about alcoholism not a call to suicide, and there are I am sure hundreds of thousands if not more since the songs release that have listened to that song with no adverse affects. So maybe parents as individuals and society as a whole need stop looking for blame after the fact and look to underlying issues. maybe if we stopped attacking the symptoms (violent playing or watching violent material, suicidal listening,watching,playing depressing things, Etc) and actually recognized and treated the root causes of these issues (behavior of and what makes these individuals, violent, depressed, etc) we may be able to start reducing the problem without clouding the issue or attacking mediaq enjoyed by a majority that do not display those behaviours.

I know this is all over the place but its really the only way I can verbalize the issue.

Plus, if they have tose signs they should be kept from some kinds of media. As I said in an earlier post they are not the root cause but can be a catalyst. When Stephen king took his early work rage out of print because of it being in kip kinkels locker, he did not think he should have to but was doing it willingly out of respect for the dead, he also went on to say while he truly believes the kid may have got a blueprint for how to do it from the book, the book itself did not cause it that was already there, the book just gave the kid ideas. That is what I believe.

Rant Over.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

this has nothing to do with games

Slenderman is a popular urban legend

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#24  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

I did not blame video games. I merely asked if video games have a profound affect on those suffering from mental illness. And I also asked us as a community to discuss what we could have done to prevent this, parents included.

Your topic title inherently framed it as such. As I said, there was no indication at all in the article that there was a game involved in this. It seems like you took an incident and reached for some way to connect it to a video game to start up a debate about video games affecting mentally ill people. If that's what you wanted to talk about it, simply state it as such. Don't mislead people with topics connecting things that may not be connected.