Twenty Years After a Horrifying Plague...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-609fe4eae5287
deactivated-609fe4eae5287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By deactivated-609fe4eae5287
Member since 2005 • 750 Posts

Sometimes the places that video games take place in are ambiguous. You are given control of a character and don't really know why the world you are exploring is the way it is. For these games it is usually necessary for gamer's to fill in the blanks themselves, but GameFly has recently gone out of their way to make filling in these blanks easier. Here are a few pre-release descriptions GameFly has taken the liberty of filling in for perspective renters...

It all makes sense now!
It all makes sense now!

The Legend of Zelda

The world of Hyrule has had a storied history and finding common Links between the games can be difficult. Luckily we now know where it all began and why the land of Hyrule is the way it is thanks to GameFly's description of the unreleased Legend of Zelda for the Wii U.

Getting a little back story on the Mario universe almost makes the movie make sense... almost.
Getting a little back story on the Mario universe almost makes the movie make sense... almost.

Yoshi's Wooly World

Another Nintendo universe that has never been fully explained is the one where Mario, Luigi, Peach, and the rest of the gang call home. One day Mario will be jumping on the heads of Goombas in space, the next everyone will be driving around in karts, but is it all connected? How did this world come to pass? It's simple really...

I'm not buying it GameFly, you've gone too far this time.
I'm not buying it GameFly, you've gone too far this time.

Kingdom Hearts III

I'm not going to pretend to know all there is to know about the Kingdom Hearts franchise. I do know that it is a JRPG featuring Disney characters, something I remember from playing the first game. I find it hard to believe though that it all started like this...

There are many many others that have this same description and they are all for games that haven't been released yet. They only exist in the mobile app and do not appear on the desktop version of the GameFly website. Clearly there is either a programming error on GameFly's end or someone over there is playing a pretty good joke.

The question is what game is this description from? Te be fair it is a fairly generic couple of sentences that could honestly apply to a slew of games, but certainly there must be one game in particular this applies to specifically?

I'll give you a little while to guess...

::Insert Jeopardy Theme::

Got it yet?

Here it is...

Duh...
Duh...

So yeah it is from the description of The Last of Us. Apparently The Last of Us is the first game in the grand timeline that all games exist in. The funny thing is that it isn't even the first two lines of the description, this leads me to believe this is something someone purposefully put in as a "generic place holder text for descriptions we don't have yet", but only in the mobile app of course.

Follow me as I explore the weirdness of video games:

Twitter @YourChagrin

Xbox Live: Your Chagrin

YouTube YourChagrin

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#1  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If that's legit, that's absolutely hysterical. Although applying the description to Zelda is actually super intriguing.

Avatar image for deactivated-609fe4eae5287
deactivated-609fe4eae5287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-609fe4eae5287
Member since 2005 • 750 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: It is totally legit, I took all the screen caps from my phone. Once I noticed a couple of them I started poking around and found A LOT of them. Some of them actually make sense like Halo 5 in the context of the Flood being the plague, but most of them are just hilarious.

I've joked around with friends before about having a unifying timeline that connects every single video game together, and it looks like we finally have one!