Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

Funny you mention this you may like this video

Games vs CG! Kingdom Hearts 3 vs Toy Story Graphics Comparison YouTube · Digital Foundry Jul 22, 2017

The PS4 has actually surpassed the original Toy Story. I would Honestly say this is more on par with TS3.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoaoPedro7
Member since 2020 • 98 Posts

@silentchief: KH3 still have a lot of poligonal edges.

I think KH3 is the nearest Toy Story level graphics before what PS5 is capable of doing

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

@joaopedro7: You can watch the video on Digital Foundry it is far ahead of the original Toy story.

Textures, lighting and material rendering.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

If Toy Story is still the precedent for video games to match, I feel that says a lot about video games.

Video games are no match for Pixar movies of today, they're about 20 years ahead of video games.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

The graphics look great In both lol

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I don’t know why people think we haven’t progressed past the original Toy Story years and years ago.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I think video games have done extremely well in simulating Pixar movie animation. Rachet and Clank on PS4 also already able to match what Pixar did and the latest one is no surprise it gets better.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Toy Story level graphics, but wasn't the gimmick of R&C games that they were based off of a movie or something.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoaoPedro7

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

I don’t know why people think we haven’t progressed past the original Toy Story years and years ago.

Polygon count is something difficult to reach even today in today's hardwares, when we're talking about real time redering

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoaoPedro7

@jaydan said:

If Toy Story is still the precedent for video games to match, I feel that says a lot about video games.

Video games are no match for Pixar movies of today, they're about 20 years ahead of video games.

The best way to compare real time games with old Pixar animations is checking the poligonal count and the geometric edges from the elements, objects and characters

Today, the games are running HD textures, but in terms of Polygons we are far from the basics animations from 2000's.

We're watching games with the same 90's animations graphics(Bug's Life, Ants, Toy Story 1, Toys Story 2, PSONE CGi).

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@joaopedro7 said:
@jaydan said:

The best way to compare real time games with old Pixar animations is checking the poligonal count and the geometric edges from the elements, objects and characters

Today, the games are running HD textures, but in terms of Polygons we are far from the basics animations from 2000's.

We're watching games with the same 90's animations graphics(Bug's Life, Ants, Toy Story 1, Toys Story 2, PSONE CGi).

As I've stated: Pixar will always be about 20 years ahead of the curb. It makes sense because Pixar IS the industry standard, pioneer and innovator of computer graphics in the industries. Each Pixar film breaks new grounds as well. It may be argued that not every Pixar film hits it out of the park in terms of storytelling finesse, but each and every one of them takes on new challenges that breaks new ground. Pixar never falls into a comfort zone.

So that's what video games are up against: the computer graphics industry leader that's only ever staying ahead of the curb thanks to constantly evolving.

If video game companies are only ever complacent with existing offerings instead of challenging to break new grounds, video games will NEVER be on Pixar's level.

If video games are only starting to get on the level of the original Toy Story, that makes Pixar nearly 30 years ahead of the video game industry.

We must add in the unique shortcomings of video games that are nonexistent in animated movies: video games face performance issues and hiccups that are virtually nonexistent in Pixar movies.

Until video games can get on a level to perform pitch-perfect the way movies run like butter, they'll never catch up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Many people may not think Knack is good but knack looks just about as good as any Toy Story movie. But overall, Ratchet & Clank surpass Toy Story long ago.

History lesson: A few years ago, Pixar's rendering farm just about rendered Toy Story 1 in real time for the 3D Blu-ray transfer. It still took that much computing power to do it. But there is technology and techniques now that didn't exist then, that allow much weaker computers to produce better looking graphics than Toy Story, even though they wouldn't be able to render the actual Toy Story.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Isn't it kind of a different metric?

CGI films are pre-rendered, right? Whereas games are real-time?

Sort of feels like it makes the comparisons moot since games will always be playing catchup. Like "Hey we are finally at Toy Story fidelity...what does that mean? What do we do now?"

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoaoPedro7

@davillain- said:

Many people may not think Knack is good but knack looks just about as good as any Toy Story movie. But overall, Ratchet & Clank surpass Toy Story long ago.

History lesson: A few years ago, Pixar's rendering farm just about rendered Toy Story 1 in real time for the 3D Blu-ray transfer. It still took that much computing power to do it. But there is technology and techniques now that didn't exist then, that allow much weaker computers to produce better looking graphics than Toy Story, even though they wouldn't be able to render the actual Toy Story.

I thought the Toy Story chapter from KH3 was as close as possible to a Toy Story movie except for a little more polygons, facial animation and the absence of ray tracing. So I believe that Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart managed to break through that barrier and bring all the beauty of a Toy Story movie. I mean the 1995 one.

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JoaoPedro7
@mrbojangles25 said:

Isn't it kind of a different metric?

CGI films are pre-rendered, right? Whereas games are real-time?

Sort of feels like it makes the comparisons moot since games will always be playing catchup. Like "Hey we are finally at Toy Story fidelity...what does that mean? What do we do now?"

The next challenge is reach Toy Story 3 level graphics.

Toy Story 1 and 2 have been met

JoaoPedro7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoaoPedro7

Well... So we're already rendering Toy Story 1 level graphics... What to expect from PS5? Toy Story 2, maybe??

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#21 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

The bouncer will always look like TS1 graphics

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

pixar IS the industry standard, pioneer and innovator of computer graphics in the industries.

ahahahahaa

ilm.... the king... gold standard.