HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HardMode88
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

I always thought JRPGs during the 90's era was one of the best genres in gaming. So what if, game developers are secretly planning to remake or to continue the numbered series of some JRPGs, what would be that top 5 games worth remaking/continuing? Here are some of the few JRPGs players are craving to see a continuation or remake (asides FFVII of course). So do you agree with these lineups? free to comment and share yours too!

My top 5 JRPGs are...

1. Suikoden 6 - Suikoden Tierkreis was the latest game in the Suikoden but it is still a spin-off and fans are still expressing their undying hope to see a new Suikoden game someday. So it would be great for Konami to continue the series to 6 and invite Yoshitaka Murayama once again to direct the game. Would be great to see a new Suikoden using the latest engine for its development. That would be awesome!

2. Wild Arms 6 - Wildarms 5 was its last numbered sequel. I guess fans are still craving for a wild arms game after all since Sony also expressed their ideas to make a reboot of this game.

3. Legend of Dragoon 2- So weird why Sony didn't continue this game. It was really a pretty awesome jrpg esp. the dragoon plot and its combat system (remember? the attack needed a timing to hit an enemy) that was really cool.

4. Valkyrie Profile 3 - after Silmeria which is the second game in the Valkyrie Profile series, Square Enix for some reasons didn't continue the game, though Covenant of the Plume seems to be a spin-off, still, it didn't meet the original game design of Valkyrie Profile.

5. Grandia 4- Grandia 3 was one of the amazing combat systems in the history of JRPG I must say but the existence of its cliche story made the game forgettable. But gameplay-wise, it's great. Square Enix should stop doing new JRPGs nowadays (like Lost Sphear or I am Setsuna) and why not focus their creativity on reviving their old ones like Grandia.

Honorable Mentions:

1. Breath of Fire 6

2. Legend of Mana 2

3. Lunar (a new game) - though Lunar had many versions, it would be best to remake this or something because the story is just great.

4. Legend of Legaia 3

5. Xenogears 2

6. Arc The Lad

Please comment and share your ideas guys! :D

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44290 Posts

Far and away a new Chrono game would top my list followed by Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Legend of Mana, and Xenogears.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Outtammo
Member since 2017 • 27 Posts

Technically there has been a sequel to xenogears called xenosaga. And I would add a new Chrono game to follow trigger and cross.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Obviously Suikoden if Konami wants to revive it.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HardMode88

@outtammo: Xenosaga was actually not a direct sequel or prequel to Xenogears mate. It was only a spiritual successor. Sadly.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HardMode88

@Archangel3371: Atlast, more and more are agreeing with me, in fact, we're not the ones who wanted to bring back these awesome JRPGs. Chrono Cross and Trigger are the best game to start with.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

I do miss Suikoden.

V was a pretty good game, but from my knowledge didn't meet expectations and that's why it only got spin-offs after to gauge market appeal, my assumption it wasn't profitable enough to pursuit. A shame really. It would be a good idea if they bundled the five games as a collection to once again gauge interest if you ask me.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Vagrant Story!

I cant believe we only got 1 game in the series even though it sold well. It also has one of the best battle systems in any rpg, *** or western.

I would also like an addition to the Chrono series as some have already mentioned.

Oh and how about giving us something else set in the FF IX universe? I mean SE cant seem to get enough of 7 and 13 but 9 had one of my fav ever worlds and characters.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HardMode88

@soul_starter: Vagrant Story, now that you mention. I must say it's an amazing rpg. The combat system is to die for. I've read a particular article from months ago that Sony was actually planning to remake/overhaul games of the 90's and early 2000's and they included images of original PS1 CD covers and Vagrant Story is one of them. Hell yeah, they really granted the wish of the fans starting with FFVII. Btw, FFIX really is one of greatest FF games in the series. I remember playing it on ps1 with 6 CDs or 4 I think. There's this someone from Youtube who independently design a remake of FFIX. It kinda looks edgy but still its 3D-fied at it's best. check it out!

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HardMode88

@RSM-HQ: Same here. V was actually great but the story felt not a Yoshitaka one but the plot is engaging I must say. It lacks promotion back in the day. The game was almost near to Suikoden 2 but it didn't transcend that very magical vibe that we felt in Suikoden 1 and 2 and the dungeons were nightmares. Engaging in a battle every 5-6 seconds made it more stressful.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@HardMode88: Ok first off, where do I get the FF IX remake???

And I hope Sony re-release Vagrant Story soon and they upgrade the graphics with it. Would be an insta buy for me.

Oh and in terms of FF IX, what I meant was SE actually cretaing another game in that particular universe, you know, like how they had numerous X, XII and XIII games.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HardMode88

@soul_starter: I see. I always thought Ivalice was the setting for all FF games. Guess it was only applicable for some FF series like you mentioned. Regarding FF IX remake, there's no official remake of the game yet. Guess that FF avid fan created it out from a software like RPG maker but it's only a fan-made. Though there's a digital PS4 release of FFIX.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

damnt there are so many. I'll try to give a top 5, but I'll probably miss a lot xD

1. Makai Kingdom

2. Legend of Dragoon

3. Suikoden

4. Soul Nomad & the World Eaters

5. Breath of Fire ... But only if it takes the battle system from DQ, but setting of the past series and they remove the stupid timer.

Honorable mentions: Wild Arms, Front Mission (back when they were SRPGs), Phantom Brave, Brave Story, Vagrant Story, Grandia and many I forgot ^^

@HardMode88 said:

1. Breath of Fire 6

You do know that exists, right? I'm not sure if you are ready for it though xD

Loading Video...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RSM-HQ

@HardMode88: I think like any sequel, changes have to be made for a sense of progress and evolution, even if they're not always for the better. Regardless the spawn commonality is about the same as Suikoden IV so that was already established in the series.

V was original intended to be a spin-off itself and began development around the same time as IV, despite that overall and the different development members I thought it was very faithful to the core series. Suikoden II likely is my favorite regardless but if a collection comes out I'd like the games from the PS2 as well.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HardMode88

@RSM-HQ: Like they say, once the original director/designer is gone, the game will never be the same again. Still, V had the most experimental battle system among the series which I like the most. It did achieve that progression technically. If you ask me, Suikoden's turn-based system can be improved. You know what I mean? if Konami will produce a new Suikoden game in this era and overhaul it, imagine what they could do, it must be pretty damn good with all those 6 characters are used together during battles. How awesome..

I never thought that V was supposedly developed as a spin-off. Interesting fact though. Hope they relaunched it again in HD remaster as a bundle like 1-6 including Tierkreis, believe it or not, I enjoyed that game too.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ

@HardMode88:

Like they say, once the original director/designer is gone, the game will never be the same again

Though true to a sense it's not always a bad thing, I could name countless sequels with new blood that are faithful, and if nothing more highly regarded over the game/s that came before.

I never thought that V was supposedly developed as a spin-off. Interesting fact though

Yeah, it was originally intended to be the Gaiden game but as it went further into development the team behind IV stated it should be V based on it's progress and high standard.

Regardless it's not the best in the series, but if we never get another main Suikoden, it's still a pretty good send-off.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HardMode88

@RSM-HQ:

Regardless it's not the best in the series, but if we never get another main Suikoden, it's still a pretty good send-off.

Yes, it is though it's not a masterpiece, it is a good send-off like a party with no beers. But hoping they could make 6 out of nowhere.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#18 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Vagrant Story
  • Dark Cloud
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Front Mission
  • Trinity Universe
Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Man, so many when you really think about it.

- Chrono Trigger/ Cross sequel

- The Legend of Dragoon

- Parasite Eve

- Dark Cloud( With current gen graphics and memory capabilities the dungeons would be much better and the world building would be much more complex)

- Xenogears sequel

- The Legend of Legaia

- Final Fantasy VIII Remake. idgaf people's opinions differ. My favorite FF's are 8 & 10. I would literally lose my shit if they announced a FFVIII Remake lol

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RSM-HQ

@HardMode88: The realist in me only expects a complete collection at this point. But I often dream as well, an official sequel would be very welcome, bring the old team back, though if it did happen I'd imagine it being a Kickstarter, Shenmue style.

it is a good send-off like a party with no beers

That comes across as more awful to me than likely intended. Yet maybe that's because I drink too much lol. .

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

How about Phantasy Star V you GODDAMN PHILISTINES!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I want a proper sequel to PS IV than any other jrpg, it's not even close.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HardMode88

@ArchoNils2:

You do know that exists, right? I'm not sure if you are ready for it though xD

I almost forgot that BOF6 existed. Maybe I just couldn't care less because it was launched originally as an android game and I am not fond of playing android games. It should've been Breath of Fire 7 lol.

With regards to the battle system, I still prefer the one in BOFIV. For me, it was the great numbered sequel in the series. Now if they could remaster that one, probably it would be awesome! But V's style was not bad at all, love the real-time with a combination of turn-based, though you're referring to d-counter which needs a specific amount of percent to perform certain attacks? felt it went a bit tedious.

BOF VI's graphics creeps me out! like they downgraded V to a mere kiddish jrpg.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HardMode88

@MarkoftheSivak: Hate to admit, back in the day, Sonic Team decided to make PS an online game/mmo which is not bad at all, but the market went down when Dreamcast died and this resulted in players you know taking the opportunity to make some hacking. It was great esp. the Ver. 2. Continuing the series from the original PS seems a great idea but I think Sega is being cautious this time after PS Universe. Though, I would like to see PSV storywise.

Outtammo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Outtammo
Member since 2017 • 27 Posts

@HardMode88: God man I remember playing so much PSO on Dreamcast back in the day. I remember using the VMU to level and feed my pets while at school lol.

Also even though it’s more of an action RPG I would love to see a new Brave Fencer Musashi game.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

The ____ of mana games, chrono series

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

@HardMode88 I know all about PSO. I played the hell out of that game on my Dreamcast back in the day.

What I'm saying is I want an honest to goodness *sequel* to IV, classic jrpg with a story-centric party made of unique characters and good ole turn-based combat.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HardMode88

@MarkoftheSivak: Yeah storywise indeed giving a proper sequel to IV, it would really topped I must say, chances are Sega should consider it since, during the end of PSIV, there's a lot of things that were left unsolved. I mean, he showed cues that he would lead the next lutz and wasn't there are gods in the game? it was still questionable to where these beings existed and why they existed. Lots of questions needed to be answered.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HardMode88

@outtammo: Brave Fencer Musashi, my god that little samurai or isn't he one? I barely can remember. It would be best if they can remake the game, that would be amazing esp. if they can make it open world or stay linear, either the two, it would be really fun to play.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HardMode88

@RSM-HQ: Kickstarter is truly the last resort for fans or even on the part of Yoshitaka, to make the game into reality. Unless, if he wants to return in Konami, then that would be a miracle. I never expected that Shenmue has really a big fan base to the point Yu was convinced and Sony was genuine enough to offer contribution making the game exclusive.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HardMode88

@rockfield: The Secret f Mana remake is actually in pre-development stage. Check it out! ;)

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

@HardMode88 said:

@rockfield: The Secret f Mana remake is actually in pre-development stage. Check it out! ;)

I saw some pictures of the characters of Secret of Mana on their Facebook Page where they compare the character model from the original to the remake. If I would be able to play the remake then I'll give it a go. If not, I'll watch the gameplay on Youtube or read blogs about it.

Thanks btw.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HardMode88

@rockfield: No problem dude. I am getting so hyped about it actually. It's been 24 years since the original launched.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2080 Posts

Golden Sun 4

Grandia 4

Lufia

Hybrid Heaven (Not JRPG)

Dark cloud

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 6

Golden Sun 4

Sword of Mana

Chrono Trigger - would love a full remake

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HardMode88

@robbie23: Hybrid Heaven that's a great platformer action rpg game back on N64. Well, Konami created it. However, they must be well okay with their developed games recently. Though HH can be a remake potential using the fox engine, that might be awesome. Lufia and Dark Cloud too in open world.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HardMode88

@omegamaster: Square Enix is planning to bring Sword of Mana, sadly, in Android but with enhanced graphics or fully remake I am not pretty sure. Final Fantasy 8, yep that game is badass. It's one of those games that had great bosses. Hope they can remake it! Squall is just dope!

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Valgaav_219

@HardMode88: Agreed. FFVIII and FFX are my favorites. I really hope this FFVII Remake does well so we can maybe get a FFVIII Remake in the future. That'd be a preorder for sure lol

BLN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BLN1
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

Golden Sun!!!!

BarongBajBaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BarongBajBaj
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

Legend of Dragoon is sickkkkkk!

MsCroft87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MsCroft87
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel or remake would be FANTASTIC!

Legend of Legaia is one of the hidden wonders of ps1. I loved that game and would love to see a ps4 remake!

Legend of Dragoon was pretty great too, I always wondered why they never made another one

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

I would love to play secret of Mana in a kingdom hearts engine (but still top down perspective)

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HardMode88

@MsCroft87: Those jrpgs titles starting with Legends are really amazing. Legend of Legaia, I remembered playing the game early in the morning like 6am and sadly I wasn't able to finish Legend of Dragoon back in the day. Though I know the ending pretty much. I hope it gets a remake SOON!

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HardMode88

@dethtrain: Yup, I always thought of that. KH setting is really suited in Secret of Mana. They also have some similarities in character design.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 john_coronado
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

@MsCroft87: I agree Legend of Legaia is truly a rare gem in PS1 back in the day. Actually, they made a sequel LOL2, but it didn't surpass the epicness of the first game. How I would love to SEE the new sequel. Man, the arts are just dope.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Valgaav_219

@john_coronado said:

@MsCroft87: I agree Legend of Legaia is truly a rare gem in PS1 back in the day. Actually, they made a sequel LOL2, but it didn't surpass the epicness of the first game. How I would love to SEE the new sequel. Man, the arts are just dope.

I'm pretty sure I played the sequel to Legend of Legaia. Wasn't it on PS2?

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 john_coronado

@valgaav_219: Yup, it's on PS2. Too bad, Sony isn't planning to continue the Dragoon. How I wish they would also remake it.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Valgaav_219

@john_coronado: idk man the way things have been going it's like they're re-releasing just as much old stuff as new stuff. If that's any indication of how things will be moving forward I wouldn't be surprised to see remakes or remasters of Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, The Xenosaga Series, The Chrono Series, or Dark Cloud. Hell, FFXII: TZA just passed 1 million copies sold even though it's a game from 2006 and now they're remaking Secret of Mana lol

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By john_coronado

@valgaav_219: It's because 90's and early 2000's JRPGs are just way too different. Stories were really in-depth that's why if it would be remade, the game gets better without compromising the story since it's already a hit during the 90's or 2000's, so developers won't worry in remaking it instead they would be focusing entirely on the graphical enhancement rather. unlike most of jrpgs nowadays, they focus heavily on combat style and graphics. but lacks definitive plot. But Persona and Legend of Heroes series are exceptional. Only few newcomer jrpgs are selectable as great. But still, I am hopeful for a new Tales of game announcement next June. Hope BAMCO will enhance the graphics and make a story that would be so immersive.

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HardMode88

@barongbajbaj: Yup, the bosses in Legend of Dragoon is sick! I almost tried using gameshark just to defeat Dart's father. Lol