Things your parents did to stop you from playing video games?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Fortunately, my parents were pretty laid back when it came to gaming. Of course, I would have to complete homework on a given day along with doing chores - etc.

You hear about parents smashing their child’s console all the time. I think that’s a little extreme but it makes for a good YouTube video.

On the bright side, my parents were cool enough to let me save the game before confiscating it. Probably my dad snapped a disc once in a while resulting in a rage.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

While they never approved (still don't) of my constant gaming habit, they would only take it away when my grades slipped which unfortunately was frequently.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

yea my parents were pretty anti-gaming and took various measures:

-tried hiding the console at various times (one time me and my brothers found it, then started hiding it ourselves when we weren't using it so our parents couldn't get it back lol)

-didn't let us keep computers in our room (when young)

-didn't let us have an internet connection in our rooms (when slightly older)

-refused to pay for any games/consoles/gaming related PC stuff including for birthday/christmas presents

this was a long time ago of course but my god it was frustrating at the time. of course it did lead to me learning how to build/upgrade and use computers myself so I could support my gaming habit without parental intervention

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

My Guardian was pretty open to gaming but insisted it was weekend only, both in Arcades and home. Would play coop with me and it was fun.

Though as a kid was quickly bored of games and didn't really get into gaming as I am now till mid DS (my first handheld) and 128-bit generation of consoles. At times I think he wanted me to play the games more than I did ( ̄∇ ̄)

I had a lot of older gaming machine lying around from family members and I took many for granted, didn't dive into what they offered till I was killing time in-between my higher education. I was pleasantly surprised with how good many retro games are.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Speeny

@RSM-HQ: I spent a lot of time on the DS myself as well. I found it so much more convenient than having to set-up a console. (For some reason I found setting up my PS2 to be so complicated back when I was a kid?) lol

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#6 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts
@speeny said:

@RSM-HQ: I spent a lot of time on the DS myself as well. I found it so much more convenient than having to set-up a console. (For some reason I found setting up my PS2 to be so complicated back when I was a kid?) lol

Likewise, the DS was a lovely handheld I have fond memories gaming with. Only replaced with 3DS because I didn't care for the Advance backwards portability list of games. Otherwise I think DS was actually more comfortable than the two 3DS models I've owned. Though I do approve of the big battery life in the N3DS.

Switch is probably my least liked Nintendo handheld for comfortability and efficiency.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Speeny

@RSM-HQ: 100% agree to your Switch comment. I hardly ever play in portable mode because I always feel the need to be extra careful with it. Definitely not the comfiest gaming experience lying down also. Unlike with the DS/3DS systems.

Steve5XG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Steve5XG
Member since 2018 • 180 Posts

I don't know if you guys be the lucky ones whose parents never complained about playing video games but, in my case, my parents get used to buying sports tools like balls, tennis rackets and things like that in order to stop my constant love for gaming. As you can imagine, they never won.

Eume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eume
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

They didn't try to "ban" videogames at home, but they supervise my time closely. I only was allowed to play during weekends, and in short sessions... So I used to play under my sheets during nights from monday to friday :P

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My mother would turn off the TV, thinking that would also turn off the game. I would act all defeated until she left, then turn the TV back on and resume where I left off.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Speeny

@Black_Knight_00: Yeah my grandma probably did that a few times too lol.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

wow!

my step father encouraged any activity on the computer regardless of what it was.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

When I was a child I never was really into gaming, I had only my PS2 and barely played it outside of some games like Dragon Ball, Yugioh, Naruto and WWE games. I was more into anime at the time (and I still like anime more than ever). I started to really like gaming only when I was 19 and had my income. So my parents never stopped me from gaming, because there was no need to.

mikecrci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mikecrci
Member since 2017 • 67 Posts

Nothing. My parents never attempted to stop me from playing video games.

TurboGraphix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 TurboGraphix
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

My folks always allowed me to play my games, my main excuse was I wanted be an illustrator when I grew up. I'm a graphic designer now so I guess it worked. I see no problems with kids playing video games as long as they are doing well in school and spending time with their loved ones (real friends or family, not a crew you go out with and get drunk with, etc). Family and video games is life, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Speeny

@TurboGraphix: Yeah exactly that. You have some great values. Thanks for your comment.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Didn't really have a problem when I was younger. My dad would suggest I go play outside when the weather was nice though, but never got much grief. My bro bought me GTA III when he was 18 (I was 15) because it was easier for 'of age' person buying the game, but my parents weren't too fussed with the content.

pandaexpress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pandaexpress
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

My dad from back in the 90s used to tell me how crappy the graphics were on the original NES lol, but by the time the 2000s rolled along he started becoming more and more impressed with the more superior game graphics from the new PS2 I had bought. :)

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

My single mom was poor to keep me from playing video games.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#21 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I don't remember a time when i was ever stopped playing games. If anything my dad encouraged it.

When i was really young and we had the Sinclair ZX Spectrum and you could program your own code in every week from a magazine.. I found it fascinating. Yes I became a programmer Aghhhhhhh..

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

My parents always tolerated my gaming habit on weekends if I was able to keep my grades up and lead a balanced lifestyle.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

My parents don't like shooting games

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Parents never really had a problem with it. Dad wasn't really fond of games; wanted us more interested in the programming side of things and would often say games are a waste of time but neither of my parents would stop us from playing. I guess it helped that we mostly bought our games with our own pocket money and that I was working by the time I was 12 and would buy my own consoles and stuff. I never really let it interfere with school work but I admit I did let it become a substitute for a more active social life during my teen years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

My parents, school or any adults ever cared about what games we played or what movies we watched, however they did have a fixation on what music we listened to. Well, my parents never actually told me not to listen to anything, but the schools and stuff banned any type of band shirts.

It makes sense, movies and games message can almost always be used for good purposes, but the message music sends tends to be stronger and more easily understood, and so many mofos out there telling people what to do, I can understand why people don't want street criminals and generalized low lifes telling their kids how to act.

avensis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By avensis
Member since 2018 • 40 Posts

My parents were not against video games, they confiscated my console only when I had bad grades or during exams and even when I played I had a time not to exceed, they do not like too much when I stick too much to the screen.