The Problem with MALE Gamers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

4-413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 4-413
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
This is my response (me being a "female" and all) to this article: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6308543/index.html?tag=nl.e576 Please read this carefully first before commenting or even thinking about deleting in case you are staff and don't just rant because of the title. :/ The article made me think of the subject but this addresses the whole issue directly. First of all: I'm not saying this is a problem every single male gamer faces but MOST of them definitely do. So, out of believing in gender equality you say "sure. there definitely should be more games that appeal to women." that's good. but then you say "that's why many women DON'T play games." and that's the part that would tick many of us off. Gaming was NEVER and I cannot emphasize on this enough, it was NEVER something that appealed to only men. In times of Mario, Kirby, resident evil 1 and 2, and so on; no one ever really thought "well, y'know, i think mario is kinda sexist. and so is kirby. well maybe, i dunno... i guess kirby's sexist." no one ever said that. and no one has ever said "well y'know... i think pac man is sexist... whoever made that game.. definitely sexist." that's not how it was. whether you're a man or a woman; you didn't think about "gender" you thought "hey this is a lot of fun." people of all ages and genders have played video games ever since the first game was ever created. that's why i cannot understand where men get off (not all of em but most) saying that many women don't play games? when video games first began, it was the new thing, it was a game. it was fun. it was interactive. it was like the new chess and the new tic-tac-toe. everybody played it. even my mom and aunties played them. pacman, tetris, pong, sonic, mario, they've played them long before i and my brothers even knew what video games were. video games, did not start off sexist. when they were first made, they were made as just a game to be enjoyed by anyone who is interested in playing them. it's as of late as technology improved and making bouncing boobies became possible that the games became more and more and more direct towards the male audience. it's as if these games were purposefully made so men could gasm all over it. pardon my language but that's just how it is. i mean, have you seen what gamespot and ign put in the overall description of video games these days? I've seen more than once, this line right here -> "This game is every man's (or teenage boy's) wet dream." my immediate response is "wdf" you don't have anything "better" to say than that? I'm a female. i dont have wet dreams when i see a bunch of bouncing boobies. i don't swing that way. how is that comment supposed to entice me into buying the game? it'll just turn me off instead because i know if i buy it it's gonna be some kind of **** fanatic gameplay which i want no part of. you can want it if you go that way but i definitely don't want it. and it's NOT YOUR FAULT. i don't blame the gamers (which includes the IGN and gamespot staff) for it. i know you have to keep in mind that LOL the developers THINK the same way. to them, that game is definitely a wet dream and they expect you to think it too. For some reason male gamers (not all of em) tend to AGREE with a woman because they don't want to have the "sexist" label glued to them but at the same time they will actually stand up for the majority of these games who ignore the female audience entirely and aim to please themselves "sexually" most definitely with bouncing broads, sexual innuendos, or they can aim to please themselves "mentally" and encourage male gamers to be more "manly?" by simply modeling the main character to be the action movie flick MANLY hero they've always aspired to be when they were little which is basically: violent, does not give a crap, saves the day or goes down trying, and gets the hearts of all the women in the game by the end. Women are attracted to men like that. So, of course when we play some of those games we're too busy drooling over the character we're playing as to care. Likewise how some men drooled over Bayonetta or some other heroine (Lara Croft?) in other games. You have to understand our position here. If you are female, correct me if you disagree. But I am just going to "assume" that we are on the same wavelength here because I have several female gamers who love Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc. with a passion and they seem to agree with me. Are you ready for this? =__= ahem* We do not care if the main character is a man. We will play it anyway. Like male gamers, we judge games by the experience, the storyline, and the actual gameplay physiques. However~ we do want to have a game that appeals to us as an audience. Male gamers tend to put us down (not all of em) and make us feel as though we should get on our hands and knees and bow down to the game developers and thank them for the 1 out of 99% games that were actually made to attract women in specific. Some of em being the Kitchen Mama, Barbie, and Hanna Montana DS games. When we hear that crap we want to slap you. In your terms we would call it a "pimp smack across the face". You deserve it if you think that way even if Kitchen Mama is a GOOD DS game. you should not even dare to think that way. When we complain, you tell us to shut up and be satisfied. Well let me tell you and the game developers this: Are our $60 of less worth than a man's $60? Like I brought up before, ever since games were first made women have bought and played them. There were no ideas of pac man, mario, sonic, etc. being sexist and men, women, and children all played and enjoyed and devoted their money and time to them. So why are games constantly heading towards the direction of ignoring the female populace? We pay our money for your games. We've been paying them since back in the day of Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 1, Pong, Pacman, Tetris, Mario, you name it. So how can you rudely let down the entire female gaming population from that time and keep heading in such a direction without ever looking back and then FINALLY when you hear all the complaints and look back you give some lame excuse like "games have come too far, too many games aimed at men and they will continue to be, that's why you're complaining so much (no $h!+ sherlock). you should just accept it. because we abandoned the female populace once we began entering the newer gens we are too "scared" of "profit losses" to our company to even think about trying to aim at them as a target audience. so we'll just keep going the way we have been. thanks for all the cash you've given so far though. we'll try to tone down on the sexism a bit. maybe you'll like them or you're just so addicted to button mashing on your controller that you'll at least TRY to give it a chance anyway even if you do actually complain." this is what all the gaming sites, gaming companies, and male gamers (not all of em) are saying to us constantly. You are telling us we don't count as customers. You don't give a flying rat's hole about our money. And you just want to purse making games you can have a sexual orgy with and rack some money in at the same time like you always have been. You're telling us "we don't care if you buy our games." "we don't care if you have been devoted fans." "we don't care if you spent your hard earned cash on hundreds of dollars worth of consoles and hand-helds." "and we definitely don't care if you suddenly decide to give up our products because video games are no longer meant for you anyway. unless you're lesbian then i guess it was meant for you." This is very hurtful to me. I know men don't care as much about the situation because "duh" you're men. but for female gamers we are basically struggling. we love dead space. we love silent hill. we love resident evil. i love leon. and ada.... but we want the game developers and the people selling and publishing these games to let us know they care. when you put up things like "every man's wet dream" and blah blah blah as the only advertisement for the game. you are telling every female gamer who bothered thinking about buying the game to have second thoughts. why? not because the main character is male. not because they have female sluts (that's what they are) in the game. but because you, the one who is selling it, AND the one who made the game. you are all telling us that this game was not meant for us. you're saying that it is your job to advertise and sell the game. but you won't advertise to us, the female gamers, NO WAY. :/ you're gonna advertise and sell it to only the male gamers because they;re money, they're attention, they're the only ones that count. i have thought this over a million times about whether or not i should just quit video games as a whole. i've been buying and playing games since the days of sonic the hedgehog speeding his way across the screen of my SEGA handheld. i'm an otaku and i love to play rpg's from japan. even games that aren't rpg's if it catches my attention i will get my brothers to play it. I can't do that anymore. know why? my family is full of men. more so than women. and the majority of men in my family all gave up video games a long time ago. they all still talk about it with their friends at times. but they don't care for it as much as I do. I can spend more than 10 hours straight from early morning til 2 am the next morning button-mashing on a game while within 2 or so hours they're sick of playing it and they wanna go outside and either pick up girls or play basketball. or maybe go on the internet and watch someone do something stupid on youtube. Til this day i have still devoted myself to video games. I have owned all of these consoles. PS1, Sega Handheld, every Gameboy version known to man, N64, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi, PSP, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Just because I have brothers doesn't mean THEY bought them and I leeched off of it HECK NO. Sure because I have so many men in the family I was probably influenced by them to be more attached to gaming than dolls. But I can say contently that each console and video game I own I have gotten on my knees and begged my mom and dad to buy them for me. Either that or I saved up my own allowance and birthday money to buy them. Since they're in the house, I AM the one who lets them leach off of me. I demand justice. I want to be acknowledged as a worthy customer. With all these consoles I have, I've spent thousands of dollars on replacing or repairing them when they're broken, getting controller after controller because they dont last long when they are first released (at least thats how it was back in the day) and of course I've gotten tons and tons of titles. Xenosaga series, dot hack//INFECTION to Quarantine, Pokemon, Smash Bandicoot, Spyro, Lunar Eternal Blue, Yu Gi Oh games, DBZ (I GOT THE ENTIRE BUDOKAI AND TENKAICHI SERIES) dbz pwns i dont care what u say, a whole stash of final fantasy games 7, 10, X-2, 12, 13, dirge of cerberus, crisis core, you name it; Golden Sun 1 and 2, and a whole bunch of other games. we'd be sitting here forever and a day if i were to name em. sure, now you can get these games cheap. but i bought these when they first came out and i always had to take more than 50 bucks, now it's 60 bucks, out of MY pocket to pay for them. i will not tolerate being treated like crap. i'm a gamer too. i want to be acknowledged as a customer. and i want the game companies to look back and recognize that we exist. did you know there are hundreds of dozens of good games in japan directed at the female audience? and it actually does AMAZINGLY well in their country. but they say they're too afraid to take that first step with our country because american game companies don't treat the female audience as an equal target. actually, they just flat out ignore us and tell us to accept it. if you are a female gamer, i want to know how you personally feel. and if you're a male gamer, i want you to really meditate and think about the position we are in. try to view it from our eyes and just yours. i know you're not women so you can't think about how a woman feels that much. but we are people. so think of us as people. we pay our money for games and consoles just like you do. but every man gets some kind of satisfaction or is targeted in some way (even the gay ones) by gaming publishers and companies. but we are flat out ignored. would you like it if something you've spent thousands of dollars on says they don't give a flying crap whether you buy their products or not? that you don't count and we won't bother even trying to consider you as part of our main audience? how would you feel if you were treated that way. I mean REALLY think about it, okay? and just to clear up any last minute misunderstanding, we are not saying dead space or all those other games are bad. we love em. we just want some attention to since we're paying our money just like you are. the japanese do it and they don't face this problem. do you hear any women in japan making petitions or complaining? no. they actually have games being made for them. but we don't. we don't have that luxury. and if men continue to ignore it and no one says anything about it then we will never experience that luxury even when we're on our death bed. be honest with your comments and opinions. don';t cause any controversy. don't call names. everyone has their own way of thinking. let's just try and get everyone to understand each other. because this topic is not about hating on men. it's about trying to reach a mutual understanding where male audience and female audience can stand side by side without either of them being looked down upon by gaming sites, companies, franchises, developers, stores, etc. p.s. - apologies if you see any typos in this. i'm in a hurry and i'm late for my college classes. ^^;
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

I like how you used quotations for female. :roll:

The_Wii_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 The_Wii_Lover
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

This is............ something. Put it in your blog and it may get featured. Also, male so no comment

Avatar image for XiaolinPrincess
XiaolinPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XiaolinPrincess
Member since 2006 • 7907 Posts
TL;DR
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

Chogyam

thats as far as i got before i stopped reading.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Yawn. Another woman going "but what about meeeeeee?" in an area of life that is dominated by males for a reason. Look, most gamers are males. That's how it is. If most gamers were females, you'd see more games being marketed for them. You'd see more love stories and all that stereotypical crap that's going on in girl movies. But most gamers are males, so of course a lot of titles are going to try to cater to that audience by focusing on guns and boobs.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't more than plenty of games that girls can very much enjoy. Actually, I'll probably play some Lego games, some colourful platformers and some Kinect games with my girlfriend tonight.

Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

[QUOTE="Chogyam"]

z4twenny

thats as far as i got before i stopped reading.

haha, yea. then i was scrolling and scrolling and scrolling to get too the bottom to post.

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

The problem isn't male gamers. The problem is all the females in our lives telling us we play too many games.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#9 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

Holy crap, I think that's the longest post I ever saw :o

It would probably be best suited for your blog, though. I don't think this really allows for much discussion, mainly because it appears to me that you're not looking for any.

Edit: "Smash Bandicoot,"typo of the day :D

Double Edit: Also, it doesn't appear that your problem is with MALE gamers at all. It would seem to me that your issue lies with how Western publishers treat the female gaming audience.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
When the medias tell you something isn't sexist - it isn't (even if it is). Deal with it.
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

Your thesis contains an extraordinary amount of information and has surpassed the length which manages to keep my attention;

Consequently, I had no gander at your materials and made no attempt to absorb the information inherent within.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

Why should it even matter? You like to play video games so play video games, who cares if it appeal's to woman or not. What I got from this wall of text is you want games like Dead Space 2 to say in their commercials something like "woman will love it" so you feel like you werent forgotten. Honestly who gives a damn, if a game is good play it, if it's not, don't play it.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Male gamers tend to put us down (not all of em) and make us feel as though we should get on our hands and knees and bow down to the game developers and thank them for the 1 out of 99% games that were actually made to attract women in specific. Some of em being the Kitchen Mama, Barbie, and Hanna Montana DS games.
When we hear that crap we want to slap you. In your terms we would call it a "pimp smack across the face".
You deserve it if you think that way even if Kitchen Mama is a GOOD DS game. you should not even dare to think that way.

4-413

I confess, I read the entire thing. The blend of contempt and condescension is hilarious.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I apologize, but rants like this, particularly when they are very long and very personal, are best suited to your blog.