The Order 1886 - Instant classic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Anyone else exited for this game? Havn't seen to much gameplay videoes of it but from the little i have seen it looks like a really solid game and i can bet this PS4 exclusive will be an instant classic.

You can probably finish it in only 10-12 hours or so but with those graphics + great story and voice acting which i suspect it has and awesome gameplay on top of that, 10-12 hours would be totally worth it for me.

What do you guys think? Will it be an instant classic or do you think it's just gonna be an average game?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Looks generic apart from the the effort gone into visuals which suggest its obvoiusly intended to be a graphical showpiece for the ps4.

Gameplay wise it looks like it could be as shallow as ryse.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It doesn't really strike me as anything more than a cinematic romp that breaks up the gameplay every minute with a cutscene.

RatedTforTeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By RatedTforTeen
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I have mine pre-ordered. I think it will be fun. It seems like it will be one of those games that gets OK scores, but that fans will like.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Looks like another stinker being hyped to high-heaven for the mere reason that there is little else of any real quality on the platform.

It looks more generic and shallow than last generation games in the same genre (specifically Gears of War) and is technically a real sub-par game (the developers are coming up with bullshit excuses for being unable to achieve 1080p60 despite focusing almost entirely on the visual presentation).

I smell a very strong 5/10 wafting off this one, and have since the first teaser videos were released.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

Don't see the order 1886 being a classic.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I doubt it

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ojmstr

@foxhound_fox: Really? 5/10? Im thinking more like 9/10 because PS4 exclusives tends to be of high quality, and now so "far" into the PS4's lifespan with devs having time figuring out how to take advantage of the power of the PS4 + having time to work on the story, voice acting etc.. on this game, so personally i really do believe this game will be an instant classic and one of most solid games we have seen so far on any of the new systems.

I feel pretty confident about this game and im gonna pre-order it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox

@ojmstr said:

@foxhound_fox: Really? 5/10? Im thinking more like 9/10 because PS4 exclusives tends to be of high quality, and now so "far" into the PS4's lifespan with devs having time figuring out how to take advantage of the power of the PS4 + having time to work on the story, voice acting etc.. on this game, so personally i really do believe this game will be an instant classic and one of most solid games we have seen so far on any of the new systems.

Which is why the average score of all the major PS4 exclusives released so far is 6/10?

Don't be delusional.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What awesome gameplay ?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What awesome gameplay ?

"Press X to punch this guy in the face!"

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Instant classic? I doubt it, but I think it will be an average shooter with above average graphics! Which really aint a bad thing because there's not much more you can do with that platform.

CreatureRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 CreatureRising
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts

Hope so. The more good games the better.

Though I'm honestly skeptical of it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@foxhound_fox:

Really ?

OMG.... GOTY 2015... PRAISE NAUGHTY GODS !

:D

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By foxhound_fox

@MarcRecon said:

Instant classic? I doubt it, but I think it will be an average shooter with above average graphics! Which really aint a bad thing because there's not much more you can do with that platform.

They are aiming for 1920x800 at 24fps for a "cinematic" feel. There is nothing "above average" about that.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@MarcRecon said:

They are aiming for 1920x800 at 24fps for a "cinematic" feel. There is nothing "above average" about that.

what game runs at 24 fps? It's gonna run at 30 fps, if you care to read about it. And I don't see a problem with that. Not every game needs 60 fps to be a great one.

As for the game itself, I'm not expecting some mind-blowing masterpiece, but I expect it to be entertaining and solid in the gameplay department. Not every game needs to raise the bar, y'know.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

I can see it being good, or rather decent, but no where near a classic. But if you think that it is a classic when you play it, then there is nothing wrong with that. I just do not believe that most critics will feel the same way

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@MarcRecon said:

what game runs at 24 fps? It's gonna run at 30 fps, if you care to read about it. And I don't see a problem with that. Not every game needs 60 fps to be a great one.

As for the game itself, I'm not expecting some mind-blowing masterpiece, but I expect it to be entertaining and solid in the gameplay department. Not every game needs to raise the bar, y'know.

I have no clue, cause I haven't looked into the game, but they can't release a shooter at 24 fps. It would be horrible. So I assume it's 30.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

@mastermetal777 said:

The developer stated (IIRC) that they want to put it at 24fps for the "cinematic feel". And 60 fps is objectively better in every regard to 30 fps. The better performance a game has, the more responsive the controls and smoother the game flows. 30 fps is nice, but 60 fps is better, and should be this generations standard along with 1080p.

What is the point in making a game if the developer doesn't intend to challenge some currently established mechanic, style or trope? If they can't raise the bar, then they shouldn't even try.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@MarcRecon said:

He was being sarcastic, although I wouldn't be surprised if the game dipped below 30 in some parts when lots of action is happening at once.

The Witcher 2 will drop below 30 with a 7870 in some heavy action scenes, so a game with even more graphical fidelity will likely struggle to maintain 30fps.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#21 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@foxhound_fox: another article said they wouldn't because it played like shit at 24. It's gonna run at 30 which isn't an issue at all. If it's solid and runs smoothly, I don't really care if it's 30 or 60.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

I think people have been way to harsh on a game that hasn't even released yet... sure it's nothing new game play wise, but I think the setting & style looks really interesting. I think it'll be better than everyone is saying.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I can see it being a good game that looks great and is fun but I doubt that it'll be an instant classic.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I'm pretty excited for it. As far as a cinematic shooter it looks pretty darn good. Closest thing to reality I've seen. I think it kind of might be a classic in that sense.

My definition of classic is something that really defines something and I think the Order kind of is that. IT's a cinematic shooter in the classic sense and defines a genre somewhat. There have been others like uncharted and gears but the order is a step above that and really getting to that point. I like that it has QTE too. IT's a blend of cinematic games like Dragons Lair, Heavy Rain and more cinematic shooters like Uncharted that have had some QTE as well.

I don't really agree with the negativity on the game just because it's a certain genre. The action looks pretty intense. Good mix of action, stealth and gunplay and special abilities with some cool stuff mixed in. Graphically it should define this generation in ways. It's no different than what gears was last gen but better. So why should the order be hated? It will depend obviously how good it is. But cool setting and characters. It looks better than gears to me. All intents and purposes its a better game, I don't see why it shouldn't get its due.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#25 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@ojmstr said:

This post right here is a good example of what's wrong with the consumers.

-

The game doesnt look fun to play. Enjoy your graphics, story and voice acting I at least. I personally think the game looks garbage.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

more like instant crap

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ojmstr

Some of you guys are waaay to cought up in numbers. Don't you think there is a good reason why they choose 30fps for this game? You will probably not even notice it in a game like this but your eyeballs will most likely pop out because of the incredible visuals.

If the game runs smoothly at 30fps (which im sure it will do) and it has a great captivating story with alot of work put into the graphics, gameplaymechanics, physics, characters, level design, sound and so on im sure this game will set a new standard in it's own respected genre. The Order 1886 is gonna be badass! im telling you;)

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#28 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@hrt_rulz01:

Agreed

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cooolio

@ojmstr said:

Some of you guys are waaay to cought up in numbers. Don't you think there is a good reason why they choose 30fps for this game? You will probably not even notice it in a game like this but your eyeballs will most likely pop out because of the incredible visuals.

If the game runs smoothly at 30fps (which im sure it will do) and it has a great captivating story with alot of work put into the graphics, gameplaymechanics, physics, characters, level design, sound and so on im sure this game will set a new standard in it's own respected genre. The Order 1886 is gonna be badass! im telling you;)

It will look good. It will probably have a good story, but it will not set a standard and that is only because we have seen a lot of cinematic shooters

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@hrt_rulz01:

Harsh..... I think its total fair.... nobody is ssying its ugly or its got bad presentation..... we're giving it the exact same treatment we gave Ryse....

But if you wanna wait until its out.... thats cool.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cooolio

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm pretty excited for it. As far as a cinematic shooter it looks pretty darn good. Closest thing to reality I've seen. I think it kind of might be a classic in that sense.

My definition of classic is something that really defines something and I think the Order kind of is that. IT's a cinematic shooter in the classic sense and defines a genre somewhat. There have been others like uncharted and gears but the order is a step above that and really getting to that point. I like that it has QTE too. IT's a blend of cinematic games like Dragons Lair, Heavy Rain and more cinematic shooters like Uncharted that have had some QTE as well.

I don't really agree with the negativity on the game just because it's a certain genre. The action looks pretty intense. Good mix of action, stealth and gunplay and special abilities with some cool stuff mixed in. Graphically it should define this generation in ways. It's no different than what gears was last gen but better. So why should the order be hated? It will depend obviously how good it is. But cool setting and characters. It looks better than gears to me. All intents and purposes its a better game, I don't see why it shouldn't get its due.

People make the Gears comparison to be negative and positive ( in a few case I have seen). What people fail to realize, is that Gears of war made the cover mechanic stuff a standard in TPS and it had quite a few things that were unique to its vibe (executions, gorey style, chainsaw gun fast paced multiplayer). A lot of games even picked up on the whole point of interest thing, which I would say Kojima kind of introduced first, but it was only in cutscenes. It does not deserve to be hated, but people are not going to really praise it as long as there is not more to the TPS mechanics.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Celtic_34

@cooolio said:

@Celtic_34 said:

People make the Gears comparison to be negative and positive ( in a few case I have seen). What people fail to realize, is that Gears of war made the cover mechanic stuff a standard in TPS and it had quite a few things that were unique to its vibe (executions, gorey style, chainsaw gun fast paced multiplayer). A lot of games even picked up on the whole point of interest thing, which I would say Kojima kind of introduced first, but it was only in cutscenes. It does not deserve to be hated, but people are not going to really praise it as long as there is not more to the TPS mechanics.

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Gears but I played it and liked it. The first one particularly before it started getting kind of ridiculous. I give it it's due. It defined certain things and was a classic game for sure imo. I'm not a fan of first person shooters either overly but I'm not going to bash them just for that sake. There are some that do some pretty cool things. I actually really liked killzone shadowfall. Underrated game imo... I'll give games like Halo credit where credit is due. I'll also say that destiny is pretty bland because it is. If the order isn't good it's not good but it could be. I've been pretty impressed by what I've seen. It doesn't seem to be just standard fair from what I've seen. There is some pretty cool stuff going on. I don't think it will be revolutionary or anything.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cooolio

@Celtic_34 said:

@cooolio said:

@Celtic_34 said:

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of Gears but I played it and liked it. The first one particularly before it started getting kind of ridiculous. I give it it's due. It defined certain things and was a classic game for sure imo. I'm not a fan of first person shooters either overly but I'm not going to bash them just for that sake. There are some that do some pretty cool things. I actually really liked killzone shadowfall. Underrated game imo... I'll give games like Halo credit where credit is due. I'll also say that destiny is pretty bland because it is. If the order isn't good it's not good but it could be. I've been pretty impressed by what I've seen. It doesn't seem to be just standard fair from what I've seen. There is some pretty cool stuff going on. I don't think it will be revolutionary or anything.

It is all good. Like I said, The Order does not deserve hate, but I can see why people are not impressed by its mechanics. There has just been a lot of cinematic shooters lately. I want it to at least sell well just so that RAD can build upon it

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Celtic_34

Coolioio. I need some new games myself. Too much of the same. I agree the mechanics could be better. I've only seen short footage so far. What I like about Uncharted is its a cinematic shooter in and of itself, but always seems to bring something else as far as how the camera pans or does something cool where it's like you in one area then suddenly another area opens up and it's like that was pretty damn cool. Even that stuff is getting old though. But those are tricks uncharted does.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ojmstr

Maybe not setting a new standard because The Last Of Us did exactly that but at least it will push it to the limits graphically to allmost the point of photorealism and on of top of that if this game has a great story and gameplay it will automatically be a winner.

Like i said im predicting a 9/10 for this game, just watch;)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@hrt_rulz01:

Harsh..... I think its total fair.... nobody is ssying its ugly or its got bad presentation..... we're giving it the exact same treatment we gave Ryse....

But if you wanna wait until its out.... thats cool.

It's hard to judge it fully until you've played the whole thing don't you think? You don't judge a movie by watching a few scenes or reading a few pages from a book.

That's what I think anyway.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#40 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

i never like to call things before they're released and I actually get to play them, but from what iv'e seen of the order, i haven't really been impressed by anything in it yet. i'm not saying it looks bad, or that it's going to be awful, and I may pick it up a bit after launch, but no mechanic or gameplay has really made me think "wow this looks really cool and interesting". it could be great or it could be awful, but at the moment, it kind of just looks like a standard tps to me

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Looks like another stinker being hyped to high-heaven for the mere reason that there is little else of any real quality on the platform.

It looks more generic and shallow than last generation games in the same genre (specifically Gears of War) and is technically a real sub-par game (the developers are coming up with bullshit excuses for being unable to achieve 1080p60 despite focusing almost entirely on the visual presentation).

I smell a very strong 5/10 wafting off this one, and have since the first teaser videos were released.

So we're not confusing anyone, running one game at 1080p 60fps is not necessarily the same as running another at 1080p 60fps. A developer could hit those benchmarks, then go back and add more detailed meshes and textures, ramp up the lighting, increase ground cover, etc and all of the sudden it's not capable of hitting those same benchmarks, yet it in fact looks better at the lower res and framerate. At that point, as a dev, you can attempt to optimize things a bit, but eventually you'll have to settle on a framerate. It might not be 60 and yet you still may have achieved the best looking console game ever.

Now, I'm not saying any of this is true about the Order, but you seem to be suggesting that a game is technically subpar if it can't hit 1080 60fps, and that's just silly talk. It goes the opposite way, too...something running at 1080p 60fps can look pretty shitty. Also, fears over input lag are on consoles are excessive. These kinds of issues when dealing with today's controllers have more to do with dev incompetence than framerates. You can check out some measurements of last gen games on 360, Forza in particular, that very nearly achieve the expected input lag of games with twice the framerate. It shouldn't be an issue in a single player shooter.