The New Mortal Kombat doesn't keep Promise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deedee_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deedee_1
Member since 2003 • 104 Posts

I say this because, wasn't Mortal Kombat Armegeddon suppose to end that storyline with those specific characters? I thought we were promised all brand new characters in the next full fledged Mortal Kombat game, and all we get is a reboot (tho a very good lookin one, with some cool kombat additions). Its just, ya know, I been playing with those characters they have on there since I was literally 4 years old, and I was hoping for a new storyline in Mortal Kombat, AS PROMISED. Even the ending of Armegeddon hinted toward new beginnings with the new Gods and everything. I think the new Mortal Kombat game will be cool, but I am just a wee bit dissapointed that we were lied to.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Having all new characters wouldn't work.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Having all new characters wouldn't work.

garland51

If they are going ahead with a new story and everything, then only a few characters should be included. Some of the old roster will return, which is a good thing. Without it, it just wouldn't be MK.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

There's only 8 out of 27 characters that we know about. So...... there could be new chars.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Interesting. I like how the new Mortal Kombat is. I used to love the series until MK4

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

There's only 8 out of 27 characters that we know about. So...... there could be new chars.

TheHighWind

Most of those spots are going to be occupied by the UMK3 cast. For my two cents from the E3 showing, click here. :)

martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

Wouldn't have been right to end the series with such an awful, gimmicky game.

The new Mortal Kombat looks to be taking the right direction, and almost seemingly... technical O_O Once Boon mentioned he was taking things back to UMK3, my anticipation increased by 10 fold.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Maybe a few new characters would have been nice.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

Armageddon had a storyline?

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Maybe a few new characters would have been nice. Elraptor

we haven't seen the full cast of characters yet and there's DLC characters as well...

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I don't know if I've ever seen a fighting game with a respectable storyline...
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
I don't know if I've ever seen a fighting game with a respectable storyline...muthsera666
KOF, Last Blade, Street Fighter, Tekken (until lately), SoulCalibur, and early MK (they also had a good thing going with Deception but I think Boon wrote himself into a corner and didn't know what to do, thus Armageddon) immediately come to mind.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]I don't know if I've ever seen a fighting game with a respectable storyline...DarkCatalyst
KOF, Last Blade, Street Fighter, Tekken (until lately), SoulCalibur, and early MK (they also had a good thing going with Deception but I think Boon wrote himself into a corner and didn't know what to do, thus Armageddon) immediately come to mind.

Proves me wrong, then. I should have known better than to post in a fighter thread; DarkCatalyst was here. :P
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="muthsera666"]I don't know if I've ever seen a fighting game with a respectable storyline...muthsera666

Proves me wrong, then. I should have known better than to post in a fighter thread; DarkCatalyst was here. :P

Just hoping you check some of them out, man. :)
cropcircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cropcircles
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts
this new MK looks amazing! im glad they are keeping some of the old characters. it just wouldn't be MK without them.
Lost_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lost_Omega
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

Those promises were made by Midway which is now dead as far as I know. MK is with Warner Bros. so of course they're not going to follow the failing company's line.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

DarkCatalyst

Most of those spots are going to be occupied by the UMK3 cast. For my two cents from the E3 showing, click here. :)

That was a seriously great read and actually gave me some hope because what I actually saw at E3 didn't impress me much.

My fingers arecrossed.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

[QUOTE="TheHighWind"]

Grammaton-Cleric

That was a seriously great read and actually gave me some hope because what I actually saw at E3 didn't impress me much.

My fingers arecrossed.

Thanks. :) It hasn't been circulating as well as I would've liked, but the responses I have been getting are positive.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]I don't know if I've ever seen a fighting game with a respectable storyline...DarkCatalyst

I found that Blazblue put in a pretty good storyline as well. I'm really looking forward to Continuum Shift.

Also great Mortal Kombat article there btw.
deedee_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deedee_1
Member since 2003 • 104 Posts

You guys make some good points, but I mean come on, wouldn't it be nice if Mortal Kombat did what street fighter IV did and throw in sum new guys/gals/monsters/Gods for some freshness?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Metamania

I always thought that a good story would matter in a fighting game, but I thought not that many people really cared about the plot and instead just picking a character or two and just fighting each other.

Also, you COULD say that Virtua Fighter also had a story, but you never knew what happened next until the next game came out. It was the same thing for Dead Or Alive, yet the endings in those games either did not make sense or were just completely ridiculous.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metamania

Now, I just found this:

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6265851/

According to Boon, the game starts off at the end of MK Armaggedon, but it turns out that there's going to be some type of time-traveling twist, a time machine of sorts that brings it right back to the first three games. So, in a way, this is definitely going to be a new story, but with some new twists. Wonder what will be canon and what will not be canon?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metamania

nice find my friend...still tho...i want new characters lol

deedee_1

For all we know, there could be new characters in the works, but for right now, old characters are a must-have.

Long time ago, when Street Fighter III was being made, they were originally going to have Sean as the ONLY shoto fighter, with Alex being the main character. There would be no Ryu or Ken. So when the SF community got wind of this, they wouldn't have it. A huge protest happened and that made Capcom think differently about the approach and put them back in. It just wouldn't be the same without those iconic characters.

It's the same for MK - we need some of these old characters because it wouldn't be Mortal Kombat without them. Honestly, I hope that my main (at least a long time ago), Liu Kang, will return. I'm sure he will be.