The hardest game you've ever played?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

I've been playing Abadox and Alpha Mission on NES and good lord these games are insanely hard. What do you all think the hardest games you've ever played are? I'd like to find some harder ones and give 'em a whirl.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories for PS1 Hardest...annoying...game...ever... I hate the fact, you have to duel the same person, from 60-120 times just for stinkin powerful card! then you have to do it again. Gah, hate this game, and never beaten it!
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The most genuinly hard game I've played is Ikaruga. Everyone talks about how awesome it is, yet I have a feeling that half of those people haven't even made it past the 3rd stage. Bullets coming at you from all directions at all times.

Other than that, there are a lot of games that are hard because they're poorly made. That's not the same as Ikaruga. Two of those that come immeadiatly to mind are Conan for the NES and Nightmare Creatures II for Dreamcast. Poorly made, piss-poor controls, and relentless enemies just make these games impossible without a GameShark/Game Genie.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Battle Toads", or perhaps "Super Ghosts & Goblins". I don't miss either of those games.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
Ninja Gaiden 2
kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

"Battle Toads", or perhaps "Super Ghosts & Goblins". I don't miss either of those games.

MonkeySpot

Oh man Super Ghosts & Goblins... one of a few games that have almost brought me to tears xD

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories for PS1 Hardest...annoying...game...ever... I hate the fact, you have to duel the same person, from 60-120 times just for stinkin powerful card! then you have to do it again. Gah, hate this game, and never beaten it!

Holy crap I remember that game. It used to infuriate me lol
datsrcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 datsrcool
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Ghost and goblins on NES or the last temple in legend of zelda 2 (never beat it but still plan to)

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Megaman 2

Most frustrating game I've ever played.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Megaman 2

Most frustrating game I've ever played.

martinX3X

I actually find that entry to the be the easiest one (and funnest) in the entire series.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
Mine would probably be the last few levels of Rayman 1. Specifically, the Band Land stage was hard as hell, because you would have to make jumps to the other side of the screen without seeing anything to land on, on top of that, you'd be on short bar things and you'd slide all over the place. The game becomes easier after that. If I had to pick an all around hard game, I'd go with Castlevania 3.
Juxhe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Juxhe1
Member since 2006 • 1021 Posts

Ghost and Goblins was one of the hardest games ever, Shinobi for the PS2 was hard as hell too.

SparkeyMark86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13 SparkeyMark86
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

I pick Super Empire Strikes Back SNES very hard but I did beat it somehow. If I have a second hard game its Jak 2 on PS2.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Battle Toads. I still need to beat it. [QUOTE="amari24"]Mine would probably be the last few levels of Rayman 1. Specifically, the Band Land stage was hard as hell, because you would have to make jumps to the other side of the screen without seeing anything to land on, on top of that, you'd be on short bar things and you'd slide all over the place. The game becomes easier after that. If I had to pick an all around hard game, I'd go with Castlevania 3.

Rayman is fun, but tough on the later levels. I haven't played in a long time. If I gave it another shot, I would probably beat it.
rholding2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 rholding2000
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

ODT on Ps1 i think it was called

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts

I've been playing Abadox and Alpha Mission on NES and good lord these games are insanely hard. What do you all think the hardest games you've ever played are? I'd like to find some harder ones and give 'em a whirl.

lordlunch2
Breath of fire IV, you really have to collect the important items to stand a chance with the enemy, theres no level advantage. But its still a fun game, good gameplay ,story nice control and worth to try.
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#17 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
The first Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles game on the NES was pretty damn hard and I had a very hard time, spent many many years (18 years) trying to beat it and finally did. Next up on the list is Silver Surfer. Bullet hell. That's all I'm going to say. Another honorable mention would be the NES vesrion of Spelunker. It's too easy to die and the controls are quite bad (let alone the game for that matter but there's a whole review I wrote on that and I'll just keep it within that review) but it's an unforgiving game. Completely unforgiving.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Ghost and Goblins was one of the hardest games ever, Shinobi for the PS2 was hard as hell too.

Juxhe1

I agree with these picks completely. I did finish "Ghosts 'n Goblins" (NES), but didn't finish "Shinobi" on the PS2:(

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Hmm, interesting question. Although I have played some RPGs and Strategy games, I can't really count those as they aren't my cup of tea. But here are a few games that are hard: Tomb Raider III (this might sound silly, but wait until you play it... :P. I am a big Tomb Raider fan as well, and I have trouble with this one...) Resident Evil Code Veronica X (it has been a few years since I last tried this... but it gets re-released in HD next month for the Xbox 360 so I will make sure that I complete it! :P. Before I could never get past the first half hour/45 minutes of the game!) DRIV3R (not particularly an hard game as such, but more so frustrating and trial and error. In one of the missions you don't even have to lose the car you are tailing, you just have to turn the corner half a second slower than you should, and you could fail the mission... as odd as that sounds. Towards the end of the game it does get really tough, although I finished it) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (especially on the harder difficulties. To try and play this game smartly and perfectly by perfecting the use of CQC and being extremely careful for example, would be an hard task... especially if you don't want to waste all of your ammo/health etc. On the harder difficulties if you also expect to beat the boss with not much trouble... wait until you try them :P). Out of those 4 games I would probably say... hmmmmm... Metal Gear Solid 3 :). Tomb Raider III is more of a "lack of motivation" (especially on the PS1 with save gems, and considering how hard some of the levels are...especially Aldwych), but if you had that motivation and spent a lot of time with the game, you could finish it, whereas with MGS3 I feel that it's more of a sense of being a good soldier, if you get me. DRIV3R is probably just a bit cheap at times with the AI and whatnot and it's more of a flaw that the game is so hard, rather than making the game hard genuinely (if you understand). RE CV:X is hard due to lack of ammo, ink ribbons etc. and the huge area. But the reason why it seems so hard is the fact that you don't really know the area and whatnot, whereas what I was saying with MGS3 was no matter how many times you may complete it, it will always be a challenge ;).
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

A lot of NES games were ridiculously hard, but out of all of them Battletoads made me the most frustrated. This was the first time I ever broke a controller...and an NES pad is very difficult to destroy. I took the cord and swung it around my head like a lasso, then I whipped it at the concrete...so much anger. Mind you I was only 7 or 8 at the time haha.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Blaster Master (NES) crazy hard.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Resident Evil Code Veronica X (it has been a few years since I last tried this... but it gets re-released in HD next month for the Xbox 360 so I will make sure that I complete it! :P. Before I could never get past the first half hour/45 minutes of the game!) Ashley_wwe

I find it interesting that people find the game hard :? Perhaps most of them were using terrible weapons.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Super Mario Bros lost levels was pretty evil, played that on the snes (allstars) and never did get through it (or very far).

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

It's not so much that the game is designed to be hard, but the first three resident evils controls are just impossible for me to get a grip on. I just can't visualize where I'm aiming at all.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

A lot of NES games were ridiculously hard, but out of all of them Battletoads made me the most frustrated. This was the first time I ever broke a controller...and an NES pad is very difficult to destroy. I took the cord and swung it around my head like a lasso, then I whipped it at the concrete...so much anger. Mind you I was only 7 or 8 at the time haha.

Samslayer

It's a common reaction, you're not alone.

:lol:

I think that if I weren't so filled-to-the-gills on booze and weed that I would have done the same. (I'm going on 14 years of being sober, so that game is off the table as far as a return in present day... I think "Battle Toads" would make me relapse!!!)

And @ gameofthering:

I recall "Veronica" as being more difficult as well... And that's even taking "Nemesis" into account.It was definitely a game for the dedicated.

:)

On RE/ Dino Crisis controls: You either got the spatial thinking or you didn't. I never had any difficulty with the tank-controls and aiming, but I knew more than a few who never cottoned to the set-up.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Super Mario Land (The enemies are so cheap!), Battletoads, Castlevania, Gundemonium Collection, I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream, the Myst games, the Trauma Center series (This ones are nearly impossible) are fairly hard. But the cake goes to Enemy Zero on the Saturn, limited saves, slow gameplay, clunky combat, 1 shot weapons and invisible enemies, need I say more?

Also, from this gen, I've been playing Resonance Of Fate and it's ****ing hard.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#27 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
8 Eyes for the NES used to piss me off all the time.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Radiant Silvergun : I've put around 20-hours into this game and I still can't get past the 3rd stage. It took me FOREVER to even get that far. Regardless, I still love this game, even though it makes Ikaruga look like a cakewalk.

SonicSpeed360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SonicSpeed360
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

I don't have a ton of old games...if I had to pick one out that was the hardest, all I could think of is Metroid Prime. Idk if that's hard for anyone else; I might just be really bad at it :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

any nes game lol

The_Wild_Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 The_Wild_Tiger
Member since 2006 • 1712 Posts

Alot of people are probably gonna laugh at this but.......Devil May Cry. I still haven't beaten it and im pretty sure im still in the beginning of the game. I'll go back to it one day but I remember just rage quitting it.

Funny story is that I got the game for free from a friend because he rage quit it. Lol.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Never beat Battle Toads so probably that, and also had a really rough time playing Revenge of Shinobi but I did manage to complete it. And it's the first game I ever beat. Not really counting SF2 because you don't really finish fighting games.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Undead Line for the Sega Genesis/ Megadrive. Good god, the game throws the kitchen sink at you.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Never beat Battle Toads so probably that, and also had a really rough time playing Revenge of Shinobi but I did manage to complete it. And it's the first game I ever beat. Not really counting SF2 because you don't really finish fighting games.

Swift_Boss_A
I loved Revenge of Shinobi. I didn't find it too hard, but the final boss was incredibly CHEAP. I honestly thought Shinobi III was harder than Revenge of Shinobi, but that's just me. Both are amazing games though.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

I've got a tie.

Devil May Cry 3 - I went through hell to get to like the 4th level and then the game would freeze. My brother-in-law bought it (and the first one) for me second hand. DMC3 was way difficult and according to him, even if it didn't glitch I wouldn't have made it much farther anyways. Oh well. At least I beat the first one.

Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero - I just recently found a copy of this game and I am telling you the legends are true. On the "Very Easy" difficulty setting this game is freakishly hard. I can't say I hate the game as much as apparently anyone else who has played it does, but it had me cursing and trying not to toss my controller more than a few times over the last 2 days. Now for the best part though - I get more than halfway through the game, level 6 to be exact (of 8 levels) and it suddenly tells me (I didn't get a manual with the game) to start over on a harder difficulty setting if I want to play the last 3 levels. After getting over my initial frustration of finally getting somewhere with this and now having to begin again, I made an attempt. It took about two minutes for me to go from feeling like a confident ninja assassin to getting slapped around like Tina Turner. It was humiliation at its' worst.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

kittensRjerks

True this. I never beat that game. Robowarrior for the nes was VERY hard as well.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#37 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts

[QUOTE="kittensRjerks"]

sayyy-gaa

True this. I never beat that game. Robowarrior for the nes was VERY hard as well.

Agreed. Part of what makes Blaster Master so hard is the fact you don't have saves or passwords and you have limited continues, let alone the actual game itself is quite a challenge and it's basically a run of trial and error. You have to memorize what's where and what to expect and know what strategies are best. It's definitely a tough one.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#38 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts
So many old NES and Gameboy games were really hard and that makes it hard to chose. I'd imagine I was able to beat less than a quarter of the games I had back then. Never being able to save your games and seldom being able to even continue didn't make it any easier. The one that sticks out in my mind though as being extraordinarily touch was the first TMNT game for NES and in particular that dumb water level! I have nightmares about that game twenty years later. I finally managed to beat it at some point when I was in college.
apickedapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 apickedapple
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
Out of what I can think of, I'd say Zelda 2:Adventure of Link.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Swift_Boss_A
Revenge of Shinobi is very hard indeed. I'm not quite sure if I ever beat it though, God knows I tried! :cry:
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonkeySpot

I don't have a ton of old games...if I had to pick one out that was the hardest, all I could think of is Metroid Prime. Idk if that's hard for anyone else; I might just be really bad at it :P

SonicSpeed360

Great game, but the Omega Pirate boss fight made me growl and throw the controller a LOT. I was hospitalized with a bad back and that boss fight just added to the pain! The rest of the game was moderate in difficulty, but the Omega Pirate... I still do the James T. Kirk yell when I think of it (*face to the sky, shaking in fury*) "Oooohhh-MAAAYGAAHHH-PI-RATE!!!"

theJakandsig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theJakandsig
Member since 2011 • 140 Posts
I will speak for everyone and say Magician Lord since whether you have played it yet or not, as soon as you start you will change your hardest game to that game 100% Guranteed.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Left 4 Dead 2 on single player Realism Expert Mode.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

The most genuinly hard game I've played is Ikaruga.Emerald_Warrior

definitely agree with you there Emerald!