The genre that will rule in the future

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MartinCaillou
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

It started with arcade and platformers, that spawn a lot of diversity.

There were simulators, sports, fighting, rpg, rts, but one genre took the flag the past decade: the FPS.

Now, with the 3rd person view getting popular, massive online games, and all the new games that are coming,

Which genre do you think will rule in the future? There will be one in particular?

Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Genia
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts
Life Simulators. For all those peoples whos lives plain suck.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
3D action
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
FPS will continue to be very strong but I see MMOs in general getting much bigger as consoles want a bigger piece of that pie.
chimera1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 chimera1984
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
As you have seen, family based games are reaping the market at the mo, this wont change any times soon given the fact games are fast becoming the most popular media out there.
MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MartinCaillou
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

MMO, and life´s simulators both could be rulers, i agree.

Altough if we have a massive technologic advance, maybe NEW genres and types of game would appear.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20984 Posts
Hopefully the ultra-casual boom is short-lived. Thankfully it's showing all the signs of a fad. Fighters are in the midst of a renaissance. Sports games are about to begin one. RPGs could do it, but first they have to remember why people got into the genre in the first place.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

fps

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
I will play Simulation, RTS and RPG always no matter which genre is popular. If developers stop making these games then I will play today's games but I can't live without RTS, RPG and Simulations. :)
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Point and click adventure, Im serious here lol so bear with me. All of these new "games" with little depth have attracted a lot of new people to the industry who lets face it, aren't going to be playing COD any time soon. However games like Hotel Dusk are the perfect next step for these people, there is no real skill involved no stress (they are infact relaxing in nature) and they have a great sense of accomplishment (not to mention the concept on the box of the box always sound appealing).

This is just a guess and an attempt at something nobody else suggested ;), but who knows it may happen.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts
Stealth/Action I hope.:o
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

I suspect that MMO's will dominate next generation...if they arent at this point already.

MMO;s are just a lot more profitable at this point.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

It started with platformer like Mario, then 2D fighters, and then a decade of JRPGs.

Now it's FPS phase.

At the moment, no genre is showing any signs of creeping up like JRPG have in the past (with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6, it showed it is about to take over) or FPS (Halo showed it will dominate the industry)

Only one that is showing some sign compared to other genres right now is WRPG. After FPS, I think WRPG might take the main stage.

Which to me, kind of sucks (since I'm mainly JRPG player) but better than FPS phase.

ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZZsharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 322 Posts

Life Simulators. For all those peoples whos lives plain suck. Genia

So, RPG's? Thats what I think.

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

[QUOTE="Genia"]Life Simulators. For all those peoples whos lives plain suck. ZZsharpshooter

So, RPG's? Thats what I think.

The Sims, Second Life ...
ZZsharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZZsharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 322 Posts
Oh, okay.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
since as i dont see our desire to shoot people in face to go away anytime soon, ill guess that fps's will still be dominant. with the current economy, i dont forsee many developers taking big risks in the near future. though if they do progress a bit, ill guess that they may take on a few rpg elements (since the wrpg is getting more popular nowadays) like bioshock.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TriangleHard

To add another thing...

I don't think FPS genre will last too long. It is getting very stale and old already.

Also FPS franchises are pumping out their games way too quickly, which saturates the market too much.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
I can't say which genre I think will be dominant in the future, but I can say that I think the FPS and RPG genres will still be going strong in the future.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#20 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
It doesn't matter to me I like playing a little bit of everything makes for more fun.
Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Genia
I think FPS's will indeed die a death soon and become a niche market. Whoever said that our desire to shoot each other in the face will never go away ... well ... is it really that strong? Amongst current hardcore gamers ... yes ... amongst the casual players ... very much no. And as Nintendo has shown ... the casual gamer outnumbers the hardcore gamer by several factors. They will rule the developers and games associated with hardcore players like me will be a niche. So The Sims and Second Life will be the major sellers/subscribed to games. Times are inevitably changing.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
I wish it would be action/adventure games but it'll probably be FPSs which is great. So many great FPSs are coming out.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LoG-Sacrament
I think FPS's will indeed die a death soon and become a niche market. Whoever said that our desire to shoot each other in the face will never go away ... well ... is it really that strong? Amongst current hardcore gamers ... yes ... amongst the casual players ... very much no. And as Nintendo has shown ... the casual gamer outnumbers the hardcore gamer by several factors. They will rule the developers and games associated with hardcore players like me will be a niche. So The Sims and Second Life will be the major sellers/subscribed to games. Times are inevitably changing. Genia
we live in a society that is fascinated with violence. you need only look at blockbuster action movies to see that violence has mass appeal. hell, just look at the video game industry instead. as of a year ago, halo 3 sold well over 8 milion copies. cod4 sold well over 10 million. if you think that publishers are simply going to ignore those numbers, then i dont know what to tell you.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="Genia"]I think FPS's will indeed die a death soon and become a niche market. Whoever said that our desire to shoot each other in the face will never go away ... well ... is it really that strong? Amongst current hardcore gamers ... yes ... amongst the casual players ... very much no. And as Nintendo has shown ... the casual gamer outnumbers the hardcore gamer by several factors. They will rule the developers and games associated with hardcore players like me will be a niche. So The Sims and Second Life will be the major sellers/subscribed to games. Times are inevitably changing. LoG-Sacrament
we live in a society that is fascinated with violence. you need only look at blockbuster action movies to see that violence has mass appeal. hell, just look at the video game industry instead. as of a year ago, halo 3 sold well over 8 milion copies. cod4 sold well over 10 million. if you think that publishers are simply going to ignore those numbers, then i dont know what to tell you.

Yep we need more murder simulators!! KILL! KILL! KILL KILL! Shooters aren't going anywhere.
Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Genia
we live in a society that is fascinated with violence. you need only look at blockbuster action movies to see that violence has mass appeal. hell, just look at the video game industry instead. as of a year ago, halo 3 sold well over 8 milion copies. cod4 sold well over 10 million. if you think that publishers are simply going to ignore those numbers, then i dont know what to tell you.LoG-Sacrament

You may well be right. But do you think that will last? I admit it has in the film industry ... maybe it will in games too. You definately have a point with those stats ... however The Sims 2 has sold over 100million units. Think developers are going to ignore that? I mean Bejewled has sold 10million as well

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]we live in a society that is fascinated with violence. you need only look at blockbuster action movies to see that violence has mass appeal. hell, just look at the video game industry instead. as of a year ago, halo 3 sold well over 8 milion copies. cod4 sold well over 10 million. if you think that publishers are simply going to ignore those numbers, then i dont know what to tell you.Genia

You may well be right. But do you think that will last? I admit it has in the film industry ... maybe it will in games too. You definately have a point with those stats ... however The Sims 2 has sold over 100million units. Think developers are going to ignore that? I mean Bejewled has sold 10million as well

yes, there are other genres that have sold well too. however, markets can saturate and then other markets will targeted. and maybe im forgetting a series, but i really cant think of a contender to the sims. so it is unlikely to sell as many copies if a competitor were to enter the market. and thats not to mention that its been on sale since 2000. my point is that fps will still be a very prominant genre despite the industry trend towards casual games (and i might argue that an fps can play as casual as anything) and the long and healthy life of certain life sims. though if ea makes "the sims:going postal", then the genre is pretty much ****ed :P
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
People who think FPSs are on their way out are deluding themselves. I realize that some people never played a FPS until Halo, but the genre has been ridiculously huge ever since 1993. Of course, some people will say that at one point platformers were all the rage, then fighters, then Japanese RPG's...but ask yourselves why did those genres fall by the wayside? They refused or were incompetent to evolve. FPS on the other hand is probably the most adaptable, most evolution-prone genre. It can do action, it can do storytelling, RPG elements, strategy, driving, simulation, arcade, tactics...FPSs have only started to explore open-ended design. They're even moving into the MMO space. Also, FPSs are relatively simpler to make in comparison to MMO's, RPG's or strategy games. MMORPG's are costly to make, they take very long to make and they're highly risky ventures. An MMO not only needs good sales, it needs to keep those players in order to keep going. The reality is that FPSs have been on top for the past 16 years and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gunswordfist
People who think FPSs are on their way out are deluding themselves. I realize that some people never played a FPS until Halo, but the genre has been ridiculously huge ever since 1993. Of course, some people will say that at one point platformers were all the rage, then fighters, then Japanese RPG's...but ask yourselves why did those genres fall by the wayside? They refused or were incompetent to evolve. FPS on the other hand is probably the most adaptable, most evolution-prone genre. It can do action, it can do storytelling, RPG elements, strategy, driving, simulation, arcade, tactics...FPSs have only started to explore open-ended design. They're even moving into the MMO space. Also, FPSs are relatively simpler to make in comparison to MMO's, RPG's or strategy games. MMORPG's are costly to make, they take very long to make and they're highly risky ventures. An MMO not only needs good sales, it needs to keep those players in order to keep going. The reality is that FPSs have been on top for the past 16 years and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.UpInFlames
That was beautiful.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="MartinCaillou"]

It started with arcade and platformers, that spawn a lot of diversity.

There were simulators, sports, fighting, rpg, rts, but one genre took the flag the past decade: the FPS.

Now, with the 3rd person view getting popular, massive online games, and all the new games that are coming,

Which genre do you think will rule in the future? There will be one in particular?

MMO's and shooters more than likely will stay on top for awhile, I would like to see rpg's come back on full force though...but it seems like only 2 or 3 really good ones come out a year.
earlaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 earlaps
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts
I think that better sports games will be very important in the market place. Not just minor updates but real changes in how the game is played. Whether this generation of consoles can handle it is doubtful, but eventually we are going to see sports games that involve the player in ways we can only dream about today. Now that most people have large screen TVs, that will be a factor too. We can have split screens that work for a single player. Like in basketball you will have a first person and third person view of your player at the same time.
Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
I started off playing Platformers, then moved to Action/Adventure and now mostly FPS.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TriangleHard

People who think FPSs are on their way out are deluding themselves. I realize that some people never played a FPS until Halo, but the genre has been ridiculously huge ever since 1993. Of course, some people will say that at one point platformers were all the rage, then fighters, then Japanese RPG's...but ask yourselves why did those genres fall by the wayside? They refused or were incompetent to evolve. FPS on the other hand is probably the most adaptable, most evolution-prone genre. It can do action, it can do storytelling, RPG elements, strategy, driving, simulation, arcade, tactics...FPSs have only started to explore open-ended design. They're even moving into the MMO space. Also, FPSs are relatively simpler to make in comparison to MMO's, RPG's or strategy games. MMORPG's are costly to make, they take very long to make and they're highly risky ventures. An MMO not only needs good sales, it needs to keep those players in order to keep going. The reality is that FPSs have been on top for the past 16 years and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.UpInFlames

And JRPG has been huge since 1992. So what?

We are talking about getting off from the main stage. JRPG managed to get on the main stage of gaming industry since Final Fantasy VII, and finally got off the main stage with Final Fantasy XII.

That doesn't mean JRPG is no longer big seller. It just means industry don't have JRPG as most dominant market anymore.

FPS pretty much got on the front market with Halo 2, and I say it is about to end. I'd say their dominance would not go beyond this generation due to heavy number of FPS games that varies very little. That doesn't mean it will not sell anymore, it just means it will get off from the main stage and not be the most dominant genre of the industry.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#33 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Triangle, I think your point of view is very console centric while UpInFlames is looking at the big picture. FPS's have been hits ever since Wolfenstein on the PC and each iteration since then, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life... has only made their popularity grow. Consoles saw a small surge in the 64 days with Turok, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark but now they've found a solid foot hold since probably Halo. JRPG's on the other hand haven't been big since FF VII. It's like the JRPG genre has been trying to recapture that success and not even the Final Fantasies can do it. JRPG's have been on a slow decline for almost a decade now... cant say the same for FPS's when records keep on being broken with sales.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TriangleHard

Triangle, I think your point of view is very console centric while UpInFlames is looking at the big picture. FPS's have been hits ever since Wolfenstein on the PC and each iteration since then, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life... has only made their popularity grow. Consoles saw a small surge in the 64 days with Turok, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark but now they've found a solid foot hold since probably Halo. JRPG's on the other hand haven't been big since FF VII. It's like the JRPG genre has been trying to recapture that success and not even the Final Fantasies can do it. JRPG's have been on a slow decline for almost a decade now... cant say the same for FPS's when records keep on being broken with sales.smerlus

I'm talking about gaming industry as a whole.

PC alone is not big enough to start a trend. Did Wolfenstein start a massive trend that made the industry pop out FPS games left and right? Did it make it look like only games coming out are FPS? JRPG back then was equally big as FPS games, maybe bigger but it still didn't dominate the industry.

After FFVII came out, so many JRPGs started to pop out as if that's the only thing people knew how to make.

And after Halo2 came out, we are seeing FPS games like that's the only thing people know how to make, which is our current trend.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
IMO, no game can survive without multiplayer or co-op. So FPSs will be here to stay. If you like online shooters than FPS provide the most value. So it's not going anywhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="smerlus"]Triangle, I think your point of view is very console centric while UpInFlames is looking at the big picture. FPS's have been hits ever since Wolfenstein on the PC and each iteration since then, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life... has only made their popularity grow. Consoles saw a small surge in the 64 days with Turok, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark but now they've found a solid foot hold since probably Halo. JRPG's on the other hand haven't been big since FF VII. It's like the JRPG genre has been trying to recapture that success and not even the Final Fantasies can do it. JRPG's have been on a slow decline for almost a decade now... cant say the same for FPS's when records keep on being broken with sales.TriangleHard

PC alone is not big enough to start a trend. Did Wolfenstein start a massive trend that made the industry pop out FPS games left and right? Did it make it look like only games coming out are FPS? JRPG back then was equally big as FPS games, maybe bigger but it still didn't dominate the industry.

After FFVII came out, so many JRPGs started to pop out as if that's the only thing people knew how to make.

And after Halo2 came out, we are seeing FPS games like that's the only thing people know how to make, which is our current trend.

You're still looking at it from a console player's point of view. You just fault Wolfenstein for not getting the console market saturated with FPS's but FF VII didn't have all these PC JRPG's popping up either. So if we use your definition that it has to be an industry wide trend, then JRPG's never did anything special. it would be action adventure games, 3rd person games, and FPS's that have ever ruled the market.
SSJ_naruto1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SSJ_naruto1997
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
i see simulation games taking the future, specifically sex-sim games like sexy beach and singles flirt it up. they are awesome and you know everyone is gonna want that on the new systems. the 360 and ps3 can use their powerful systems to display lifelike graphics and the wii can use its motion control. and imagine playing it on the go on ur psp with its huge screen or using the ds to interact with people. thats the future. mmo sex sims!!!
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"]Triangle, I think your point of view is very console centric while UpInFlames is looking at the big picture. FPS's have been hits ever since Wolfenstein on the PC and each iteration since then, Doom, Quake, Unreal, Half Life... has only made their popularity grow. Consoles saw a small surge in the 64 days with Turok, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark but now they've found a solid foot hold since probably Halo. JRPG's on the other hand haven't been big since FF VII. It's like the JRPG genre has been trying to recapture that success and not even the Final Fantasies can do it. JRPG's have been on a slow decline for almost a decade now... cant say the same for FPS's when records keep on being broken with sales.smerlus

You're still looking at it from a console player's point of view. You just fault Wolfenstein for not getting the console market saturated with FPS's but FF VII didn't have all these PC JRPG's popping up either. So if we use your definition that it has to be an industry wide trend, then JRPG's never did anything special. it would be action adventure games, 3rd person games, and FPS's that have ever ruled the market.

First, console market had 3 platforms almost always.

PC is always 1.

The number of sales also determine that and the number of JRPG titles and sales were much more dominating.

3rd, FFVII influenced PC market as well with many Asian developers made JRPG type games for PC that didn't make it to the states and even American companies made JRPG like games such as Septerra Core. Fallout games plays like WRPG games, but had JRPG structures in terms of visuals.

After FFVII, JRPG was just in your face you cannot overlook if you were a gamer. Now it is FPS that's in your face.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UpInFlames

And JRPG has been huge since 1992. So what?TriangleHard

Japanese RPG's were never "huge". Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (Japan only) were. They peaked back in the mid/late 90's, but it's been a downward path ever since. Today, they're probably at an all-time low.

FPS pretty much got on the front market with Halo 2, and I say it is about to end.TriangleHard

Smerlus already addressed where your limited viewpoint stems from and this just confirms it. You do realize that Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Half-Life, etc. sold tens of millions copies before Halo was even a glimmer in Bungie's eye? FPSs have been no.1 on PC since 1993 and they took over console gaming once they finally arrived thanks to the Xbox. Nothing has been able to dethrone them on PC for a full 16 years (no, not even MMO's), so what makes you think things are going to be any different on consoles? I don't wanna be mean, but your comment is one from a person who simply doesn't understand the industry all that well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

First, console market had 3 platforms almost always.

PC is always 1.

The number of sales also determine that and the number of JRPG titles and sales were much more dominating.

3rd, FFVII influenced PC market as well with many Asian developers made JRPG type games for PC that didn't make it to the states and even American companies made JRPG like games such as Septerra Core. Fallout games plays like WRPG games, but had JRPG structures in terms of visuals.

After FFVII, JRPG was just in your face you cannot overlook if you were a gamer. Now it is FPS that's in your face.

1. the number of systems on each side is irrelevant. there are more people registered for a single game on PC (WoW) than there are XBL members 2. Sales of PC games have never been even close to being correct and companies that collect that sort of data still don't know how to do it. According to them, PC gaming has been dying for the last 2 decades because they don't know how to account for online sales and digital distribution. 3. Even Doom made it to the Snes and there was also a game called Faceball. These blow my mind seeing as the controls were barely able to be translated to the console platform. Just because Septerra Core was developed doesn't mean it was successful. in fact it was a flop. Also how are Fallout's visuals JRPG like when Ultima had 2D sprites and JRPG's copied that? 4. If you were a PC gamer in the 80's 90's and even up to today, it's very easy to overlook JRPG's because there are very few options. How about you start naming successful JRPG PC games EVER and I'll start listing FPS's on console from just in the PS1, N64 era and we'll see who's list is longer. Ready? Golden Eye, Turok, Perfect Dark.... I won.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]And JRPG has been huge since 1992. So what?UpInFlames

Japanese RPG's were never "huge". Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (Japan only) were. They peaked back in the mid/late 90's, but it's been a downward path ever since. Today, they're probably at an all-time low.

FPS pretty much got on the front market with Halo 2, and I say it is about to end.TriangleHard

Smerlus already addressed where your limited viewpoint stems from and this just confirms it. You do realize that Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Half-Life, etc. sold tens of millions copies before Halo was even a glimmer in Bungie's eye? FPSs have been no.1 on PC since 1993 and they took over console gaming once they finally arrived thanks to the Xbox. Nothing has been able to dethrone them on PC for a full 16 years (no, not even MMO's), so what makes you think things are going to be any different on consoles? I don't wanna be mean, but your comment is one from a person who simply doesn't understand the industry all that well.

And GTA games sold nearly 10s of million each past few games.

Are you going to say sandbox games are the most dominant genre past 2 generations?

It's about which genre that companies are jumping on the bandwagon.

On PC, FPS dominated thanks to mouse and keyboard controls, which is not friendly towards most other genre. WRPG is friendly with it, but not many people can get into games with manual thick as text books. FPS just happens to be most friendly with the control setting with PC and easy to get into, which quickly allowed it to be popular in PC gaming world.

Real time strategy also is friendly with the controls, but that's another genre you can't just jump in.

Consoles are different story. The controls are much more friendly with other types of gaming. Sure you can use keyboards and mouse on consles and PC can use controllers, but they tend to stick with their respective controls and design in such way.

You say I have console focused view of the industry, but you seem to have PC focused view of the industry.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 UpInFlames
And GTA games sold nearly 10s of million each past few games.

Are you going to say sandbox games are the most dominant genre past 2 generations?TriangleHard

I don't acknowledge sandbox as a genre for one thing. Grand Theft Auto is the only series of its type to be as wildly successful as it is. No one else is even close - not in sales, not in quality. Because most of them are simply copying Grand Theft Auto without adding much of their own.

On the other hand you have numerous FPSs that have sold really well, that are very different from each other and creative in one way or another. FPS is the genre that pushes technology (that's reason enough why it is always going to stay at the forefront - like it or not, technology is extremely important in video games) and it's a genre that enjoys being supported by a plethora of talented developers who are always trying to evolve it by pushing their games in very different directions. Again, the genre is highly adaptable to change, it has the ability to seamlessly implement various gameplay and design choices. No other genre is even close to FPSs in that regard.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]And GTA games sold nearly 10s of million each past few games.

Are you going to say sandbox games are the most dominant genre past 2 generations?UpInFlames

I don't acknowledge sandbox as a genre for one thing. Grand Theft Auto is the only series of its type to be as wildly successful as it is. No one else is even close - not in sales, not in quality. Because most of them are simply copying Grand Theft Auto without adding much of their own.

On the other hand you have numerous FPSs that have sold really well, that are very different from each other and creative in one way or another. FPS is the genre that pushes technology (that's reason enough why it is always going to stay at the forefront - like it or not, technology is extremely important in video games) and it's a genre that enjoys being supported by a plethora of talented developers who are always trying to evolve it by pushing their games in very different directions. Again, the genre is highly adaptable to change, it has the ability to seamlessly implement various gameplay and design choices. No other genre is even close to FPSs in that regard.

implement various gameplay?

FPS is always point and shoot. Very limited in so many ways. Camera angle always has to be set up in certain ways, etc.

Action Adventure games are most free form. Shooting, platform, adventure, beat-em-up action, etc. It can cover it all.

I'll give you the technology aspect. FPS always pushes tech to the limits. That has more to do with PC based design than anything else. PC will always lead in technology and FPS is most friendly in PC.

In FPS, you might be able to implement many design choices, by adding RPG elements, level by level design, or adventure design, but gameplay? FPS is very very limited.

JRPG is much more flexible when it comes to design choices and gameplay. Free roaming, level by level, linear path, etc. Real time, turn based, platform, action, etc.

First person perspective, top down, dramatic camera angle, free camera, etc.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 UpInFlames

Camera angles? I don't think you even understand the basics of first-person shooters, nevermind its finer intricacies. Debating this particular subject with you is pointless, I'm afraid, since I feel you lack the basic knowledge and understanding of the genre.

[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]Action Adventure games are most free form. Shooting, platform, adventure, beat-em-up action, etc. It can cover it all.TriangleHard

Yes. However, action/adventure is an extremely broad term which encompasses games that have very little to no similarities in design, gameplay or anything in between (Grand Theft Auto, The Legend of Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil...)

In FPS, you might be able to implement many design choices, by adding RPG elements, level by level design, or adventure design, but gameplay? FPS is very very limited.TriangleHard

How does design not impact gameplay? Either way, every single aspect you mentioned for action/adventure games can be found in FPSs (platforming: Half-Life, adventure: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, beat-em-up: The Chronicles of Riddick.)

JRPG is much more flexible when it comes to design choices and gameplay. Free roaming, level by level, linear path, etc. Real time, turn based, platform, action, etc.TriangleHard

Yeah, Japanese RPG's are so adaptable and flexible that they've run themselves into the ground and the concensus for the main culprit is failure to evolve. FPSs can implement the following design choices/gameplay elements: role-playing, stealth, beat-em-up, adventure, driving, platforming, open-ended, linear...I stand by my statement that FPSs are the most adaptable genre around and that Japanese RPG's--of all things--aren't even close.

Ulises2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ulises2012
Member since 2006 • 499 Posts
FPS
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#46 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts
Virtual reality consoles
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TriangleHard

Yes JRPG is quite flexible.

What you mentioned, has been already been done in JRPG and more. People brush it aside as if they remained same all these years, and I say that is false.

Only problem I saw in JRPG is that all those effort is sideway effort. It made things different, but none of the idea stuck through to be one giant step foward. FFXII did make that step forward but unfortunately it seems like it didn't stick.

I say JRPG's problem is not that it doesn't try different things, but the fans are unwilling to accept change. Fans like it the way it is and that becomes the problem with JRPG as they try to please current fans, they are leaving out potential new buyers.

As for FPS, the control scheme always has to remain the same, which is why the gameplay ideas have to become limited. You always need to make the same movement controls and point and shoot control scheme. Add fixed camera, and the genre ends up becoming very similar to each other.

I stand by what I said too, that FPS is one of the most limited genres in terms of gameplay while JRPG is much more flexible, and it's not even close.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
FPS are already starting to rule so I pick that genre.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Man, this thread is confusing. It seems like half of you live in some alternate reality where JRPGs were huge and dominated video games. In my reality, Pokemon is the closest JRPGs ever got to becoming mainstream. Sure, other genres have had there time to shine, but nothing has stayed as relevant for as long without HUGE changes as the FPS. Heck, I would still say we are playing better versions of Half-Life in most cases, and I mean that as a compliment.

To answer the original question- I bet it doesn't exist yet. Something new has to come out that is amazing and basically creates its own genre. If that doesn't happen, I will probably be shooting dudes 5 years from now much like I shoot them right now.

Insurrection4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Insurrection4
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

I'm not reading all ot that at 1:15 in the morning.

Right now FPS' are the big genre, mostly because they're like the blockbusters of the gaming scene. Lots of style but no substance (just the way I like 'em).

For some reason 3D has made a return, and apparently it's much better than the craptastic 3D movies from the 80's. It's only a matter of time before we see it transition over to video games. Actually, I think video games would be much better suited for that sort of thing. It could make things more realistic if done right (think Virtual reality without the weird bulky headdress).

Personally, the genre that will rule the future has already shown it's face, thanks to the Wii. I can expect to see a rise in stupid health and fitness games in the future released alongside a smorgasbod of silly contraptions like that Wii Balance Board. Really I shouldn't blame it on the Wii. America has gone insane when it comes to eating health. A new low or no fat drink or food item is announced almost every day. Hell, even potato chips have gone health. I'm all for people eating healther and losing weight, but they're starting to shove that nasty tasting crap down our throats. I'll take my 3 layer burger with extra mayo and trans fats, thank you very much.[/rant]