Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The Economist has just published an article that essentially holds video games responsible for rising unemployment numbers and also blames them for falling marriage rates and declining numbers of school and college graduates.

Full story here;

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/03/economist-explains-24

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Good for them, games have always been blamed for something heavily unproven. Next they'll blame books, music, and the arts. . It's a repeated cycle.

All-in-all it's usually spewed by Fatcats to avoid a more serious issue_

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I blame the stagnation of minimum wage, had it kept rising like it's supposed to people would have more money to spend and businesses could afford to hire more people

sith_acolyte15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sith_acolyte15
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Wage stagnation, and automation are far bigger reasons for unemployment being what it is than gaming. And divorce rates have been a joke for a long time as well.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

As a longtime subscriber, I have always said that The Economist reflects my personal beliefs about 70% of the time.

I think this is one of those times that falls into the other 30%.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Ah yes, Cause it has nothing to do with employment and wage decline, high debt among college students and lack of funds to the school system in general.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Idiots will always conflate and confuse symptoms and causes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Well, I was going to read it, but then I was it was a ".../blog/..." and that would kind of ruin my new year's resolution of not reading things Any Asshole On the Internet Can Write That Any Chump Will Take Seriously

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Starshine_M2A2

@mrbojangles25 said:

Well, I was going to read it, but then I was it was a ".../blog/..." and that would kind of ruin my new year's resolution of not reading things Any Asshole On the Internet Can Write That Any Chump Will Take Seriously

Why would you do that? They're among the funniest parts of the web. What would be the point of the internet if it weren't for all the idiots?

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Op, the article does not blame video games for those things, it merely shows correlation. In fact, towards the end of the article, it say economic factors are more the cause the video games. It says people out of work tend to play video games, that's really all this article says.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Starshine_M2A2

@csward said:

Op, the article does not blame video games for those things, it merely shows correlation. In fact, towards the end of the article, it say economic factors are more the cause the video games. It says people out of work tend to play video games, that's really all this article says.

When why mention video games at all if economic factors are responsible? The idea that the unemployed play video games is hardly breaking news...

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@csward said:

^ this.

e.g.

"rather than a lure out of work; it is much more a symptom of other economic ills than a cause"

nothing to see here, just a sensationalist headline

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Starshine_M2A2

@Macutchi said:
@csward said:

^ this.

e.g.

"rather than a lure out of work; it is much more a symptom of other economic ills than a cause"

Well then surely we should just get rid of video games and all other distractions that cause people to think about anything other than work...

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@Macutchi said:
@csward said:

^ this.

e.g.

Well then surely we should just get rid of video games and all other distractions that cause people to think about anything other than work...

or just accept it's a headline deliberately worded to provoke a reaction and not read too much into it

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Starshine_M2A2

@Macutchi said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@Macutchi said:
@csward said:

^ this.

e.g.

or just accept it's a headline deliberately worded to provoke a reaction and not read too much into it

Nope. I stand by my opinion and my view that this article would not have mentioned video games if they didn't believe they were a contributing factor. Otherwise, it wouldn't be newsworthy. Therefore, its another case of video games being scapegoated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@csward said:

When why mention video games at all if economic factors are responsible? The idea that the unemployed play video games is hardly breaking news...

Because videogames are a massive industry so a study into where all that money is coming from is interesting and helpful?