the best video game system ever

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

IMO the n64. argue if you dare

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
The Game.Com
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts

The Game.ComDudersaper

This. Indy 500 is also the greatest game of all time.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

tied between snes and ps2...

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jsmoke03

supernes93
that controller alone makes this one of the worst nintendo console
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Ps2

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 supernes93
[QUOTE="supernes93"]

jsmoke03

people who dont like the n64 controller are people who just suck. For its library its a perfect controller
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 supernes93

Ps2

ristactionjakso
can you go into more depth please. what makes the ps2 the best system ever?
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Ps2

supernes93

Best game library, best controller, games still selling cheaply in stores, highly reliable, plays dvd's........just a great system.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"][QUOTE="supernes93"]

supernes93

people who dont like the n64 controller are people who just suck. For its library its a perfect controller

A mere opinion. You provide no logical information on why it is great. Nor do the poster above you provide any reason why it sucks. Personally I find the layout of the controller odd and some of the buttons are completely useless.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Shockwave-DASH
Member since 2012 • 1093 Posts
[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"][QUOTE="supernes93"] You mean the games that don't make use of the whole controller? Ha.

[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Ps2

ristactionjakso

Best game library, best controller, games still selling cheaply in stores, highly reliable, plays dvd's........just a great system.

HIGHLY RELIABLE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa there mate, that Ps3 is not a Ps2 sir.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shockwave-DASH

supernes93
Some really interesting games at the top, but nothing else really there. Games barely use the whole controller, which had a unreliable analog stick that was pretty badly designed PHYSICALLY. Good, but just not having enough good to make it the best system. It had some things to make it stand out, but mostly, it didn't. The Saturn had more to make it stand out, but Sega had no marketing, Nintendo did.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="Swanogt19"][QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"] that controller alone makes this one of the worst nintendo console

A mere opinion. You provide no logical information on why it is great. Nor do the poster above you provide any reason why it sucks. Personally I find the layout of the controller odd and some of the buttons are completely useless.

the controller makes d pad useless since switching to analog and d pad not logical. the analog stick was great but with just one leave a lot to be desired...the equivalent to sixaxis to motion controls this generation. library leaves a lot to be desired compared to nes, snes....
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

tied between snes and ps2...

jsmoke03
THIS!
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

PC...

You can play any game on it (legally or not).

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shockwave-DASH

PC...

nameless12345
You can't play jaguar, CD32, Mac, Amstrad, and only half the 7800 library on it.
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 supernes93

what makes the n64 the best to me is the games. good hits such as turok, CBFD, super mario 64, mario kart 64, star fox 64, ocarina of time, majoras mask, donkey kong 64, banjo kazooie, banjo tooie, pokemon stadium, SSB, jet force gemini, perfect dark, and goldeneye i also liked the way that it was such a bright and colorfull system. games like super mario 64 and conkers bad fur day are good examples of the capabilities of the color on the n64.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 supernes93
[QUOTE="Swanogt19"][QUOTE="supernes93"] people who dont like the n64 controller are people who just suck. For its library its a perfect controllerjsmoke03

the controller makes d pad useless since switching to analog and d pad not logical. the analog stick was great but with just one leave a lot to be desired...the equivalent to sixaxis to motion controls this generation. library leaves a lot to be desired compared to nes, snes....

yeah i guess you never played kirby 64 or yoshi's story. then you would have known that the d pad was used.
J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts

supernes93

I love how so many people here instantly resort to bashing others... :/ Anyway, I'm not a fan of the N64 controller either, even though it's one of my favorite consoles. It works well with some games, but the analog stick is just not responsive enough, the controller is too big for any human to hold normally, and it's too small to hold just half of it. It's just an awkward controller IMO.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shockwave-DASH
[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"][QUOTE="Swanogt19"] A mere opinion. You provide no logical information on why it is great. Nor do the poster above you provide any reason why it sucks. Personally I find the layout of the controller odd and some of the buttons are completely useless.

yeah i guess you never played kirby 64 or yoshi's story. then you would have known that the d pad was used.

Which was pretty poorly used. But it's to be expected. Systems like the Saturn had much more support and had better working 2D games.
J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 J-Man2244
Anyway, my favorite console is the PS2. It had one of the best controllers ever, the game library is phenomenal, the hardware is excellent, it plays PS1 games, and its graphical capabilities are impressive. For me, it has everything I like about the current generation, but without all of the online nonsense. This thing was a machine for gamers of all shapes and sizes, and I like that a lot.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dudersaper
Anyway, for my honest answer. PS2. It's pretty much the go-to system for people who want a system with lots of genres, it has sports game, RPG's, action games, adventure games, First Person Shooters, etc,etc. And has a bunch of great exclusives. XBOX sure it exceeds it in sports and WRPG's, but still, the PS2 is more all-around with genres so it's perfect for someone who likes lots of genres like myself. Also it's controller is simple and effective.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shockwave-DASH
Anyway, my favorite console is the PS2. It had one of the best controllers ever, the game library is phenomenal, the hardware is excellent, it plays PS1 games, and its graphical capabilities are impressive. For me, it has everything I like about the current generation, but without all of the online nonsense. This thing was a machine for gamers of all shapes and sizes, and I like that a lot. J-Man2244
The PS2 can go online.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shockwave-DASH
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Anyway, for my honest answer. PS2. It's pretty much the go-to system for people who want a system with lots of genres, it has sports game, RPG's, action games, adventure games, First Person Shooters, etc,etc. And has a bunch of great exclusives. XBOX sure it exceeds it in sports and WRPG's, but still, the PS2 is more all-around with genres so it's perfect for someone who likes lots of genres like myself. Also it's controller is simple and effective.

Also the only system with games in that anime you have in your sig.
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I'm gonna go with Super Nintendo. Had some of the best RPG games and great platformers.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Again and again and again... N64 is my answer.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

PC...

Shockwave-DASH

You can't play jaguar, CD32, Mac, Amstrad, and only half the 7800 library on it.

Yes you can ;)

You can also play games for all arcade systems on it.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shockwave-DASH

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

PC...

nameless12345

Yes you can ;)

Last I checked the emulators for those systems still don't work and support all games so no you can't Captain Blackbeard the Pirate.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

PS2

NO CONTEST

No other game console offers a library of exclusive games as epic as the PS2.

Persona 3, Persona 4, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss, Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms 5, .hack series, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3, Sly Cooper, Sly 2, Sly 3, Bully, Naruto Ultimate Ninja, Zone of the Enders, Zone of the Enders 2, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragonball Z Budokai 2 and Budokai 3.

No other console has a library of games as big and awesome as the PS2's library.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shockwave-DASH

PS2

NO CONTEST

Persona 3, Persona 4, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss, Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, Wild Arms 5, .hack series, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3, Sly Cooper, Sly 2, Sly 3, Bully, Naruto Ultimate Ninja, Zone of the Enders, Zone of the Enders 2, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragonball Z Budokai 2 and Budokai 3.

No other console has a library of games as big and awesome as the PS2's library.

GeoffZak
Unless were talking first-party, in which case, the PS2 is terrible.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"] You can't play jaguar, CD32, Mac, Amstrad, and only half the 7800 library on it.Shockwave-DASH

Yes you can ;)

Last I checked the emulators for those systems still don't work and support all games so no you can't Captain Blackbeard the Pirate.

You're using bad emulators then...

Sure, not every game will work but most of them should...

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shockwave-DASH

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Yes you can ;)

nameless12345

You're using bad emulators then...

Sure, not every game will work but most of them should...

Jaguar games are not completely emulated yet and neither are CD32 games and half the 7800 library does not work. These are all currently facts.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

PS2

NO CONTEST

Shockwave-DASH
Unless were talking first-party, in which case, the PS2 is terrible.

Yeah, but we're not talking first-party :P
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]The Game.ComRenegade_Fury

This. Indy 500 is also the greatest game of all time.

Somebody watches Classic Game Room, I'm guessing. :D

As for my all-time favorite system, that would have to be the NES. And I'm sure that has a whole lot to do with nostalgia. I grew up on that little grey box, it was like digital crack for me, I just couldn't get enough. And in my older age, I can go back and play those games and the joy of those years instantly come back to me. And such a great library of games with the Marios, Zeldas, Castlevanias, Mega Mans, Contras, Ninja Gaidens, and so many more.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="jsmoke03"] can you go into more depth please. what makes the ps2 the best system ever?Shockwave-DASH

HIGHLY RELIABLE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa there mate, that Ps3 is not a Ps2 sir.

I kinda don't know what your'e trying to say. And yes, I had the original fat ps2 for 7 years before I traded it for a car stereo. That was 4 years agao and it is still working like a champ to this day. I bought a slim brand new and it's still runin good. It's a very reliable system.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shockwave-DASH

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"][QUOTE="supernes93"]Best game library, best controller, games still selling cheaply in stores, highly reliable, plays dvd's........just a great system.

ristactionjakso

I kinda don't know what your'e trying to say. And yes, I had the original fat ps2 for 7 years before I traded it for a car stereo. That was 4 years agao and it is still working like a champ to this day. I bought a slim brand new and it's still runin good. It's a very reliable system.

Oh, i thought you were talking about the slim. Slims have some issues.
J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 J-Man2244
[QUOTE="J-Man2244"]Anyway, my favorite console is the PS2. It had one of the best controllers ever, the game library is phenomenal, the hardware is excellent, it plays PS1 games, and its graphical capabilities are impressive. For me, it has everything I like about the current generation, but without all of the online nonsense. This thing was a machine for gamers of all shapes and sizes, and I like that a lot. Shockwave-DASH
The PS2 can go online.

You're right, but the focus for most of those games was on a quality single-player mode. Too many games tend to focus less on this during the current generation.
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts

[QUOTE="supernes93"]

jsmoke03

actually I think the n64 controller was one of the more important innovations in console evolution. first time for joystick opposed to d pad on a console?? name one console since then that hasnt had the stick.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dudersaper

mamelon2012

actually I think the n64 controller was one of the more important innovations in console evolution. first time for joystick opposed to d pad on a console?? name one console since then that hasnt had the stick.

I agree it may have been important for future controller designs, but it doesn't make the N64's controller any less awkward than it is. It's like a "we did it wrong this time but now we know what not to do" kinda thing.
Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Ps2

ristactionjakso

---Didn't have Halo or Star Wars KOTOR so it didnt have the best last gen games, best controller...ahhahahahahahah!.....sure, I've seen alot of cheap games from all consoles, The gamecube, xbox, and dreamcast are just...if not more reliable. Plays dvd's....big whoop.

Playstation 2, overhyped from the get-go.

Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sportyfamilycar

As for the best....the NES makes the top of the list for me. Huge library and made gaming what it is today....well not really, gamings all about downloading add ons and sniping people from afar nowadays.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="supernes93"] can you go into more depth please. what makes the ps2 the best system ever?Sportyfamilycar

---Didn't have Halo or Star Wars KOTOR so it didnt have the best last gen games, best controller...ahhahahahahahah!.....sure, I've seen alot of cheap games from all consoles, The gamecube, xbox, and dreamcast are just...if not more reliable. Plays dvd's....big whoop.

There are much more great games than just Halo and KOTOR. And if you're saying those other consoles are just (if not more) as reliable as the PS2 it means you aren't denying the PS2 is reliable. And yes, it plays DVD's, it's not something to go crazy over but it's not like it's taking away from anything else to have the option in there, so I don't see your point. You're seem like the kind that can't have middle ground with the PS2, it's either "you love the crap out of it, or you hate the crap out of it" for you.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

By far, the PS2 is the best console ever made in my opinion; literely hundreds of great games, great controller, reliable, cheap to own and play on, it's perfect. I think the fact that it is still being supported nearly 12-years since it launched is testimony to how great it is. The N64 gets second place on my opinion, also because it has an excellent library of games and on a personal level it has a lot of nostalgia for me.

Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sportyfamilycar

[QUOTE="Sportyfamilycar"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Best game library, best controller, games still selling cheaply in stores, highly reliable, plays dvd's........just a great system.

Dudersaper

There are much more great games than just Halo and KOTOR. And if you're saying those other consoles are just (if not more) as reliable as the PS2 it means you aren't denying the PS2 is reliable. And yes, it plays DVD's, it's not something to go crazy over but it's not like it's taking away from anything else to have the option in there, so I don't see your point. You're seem like the kind that can't have middle ground with the PS2, it's either "you love the crap out of it, or you hate the crap out of it" for you.

SW KOTOR was game of the year, halo 1, halo 2 were as well. GTA 3 and Half Life 2 was game of the year and were ported to the xbox. And for racing fans...just play any Forza and you'll take that over Gran Turismo anyday.

The xbox had some of the biggest titles of last gen. MOst of the PS2's big titles later came to the xbox. And the fact xbox was pushing online gaming to the max when the PS2 was still fumbling around is another stone in the fire.

Dont get me started on the playstation controller. The playstation controller is the least ergonomic controller out there to this day. I'll take a Wii mote before playstation controller.

I've heard more PS2 consoles having trouble then any other console of its time. The Dreamcast and gamecube had next to no problems and the Xbox had a few disc tray problems.

People will argue 100+ million consoles...but just because something sells alot doesn't make it good.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#45 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

If emulation counts, then I choose the PC.

If emulation doesn't count, then I choose the Arcade.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
ps2 argument destroyed
Avatar image for MaverickOutcast
MaverickOutcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MaverickOutcast
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

Ps2

ristactionjakso

Wont go into detail but Agreed ^^

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#48 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
The PS2 - there are countless great games for it, and it has an aura :P
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dudersaper

SW KOTOR was game of the year, halo 1, halo 2 were as well. GTA 3 and Half Life 2 was game of the year and were ported to the xbox. And for racing fans...just play any Forza and you'll take that over Gran Turismo anyday.

The xbox had some of the biggest titles of last gen. MOst of the PS2's big titles later came to the xbox. And the fact xbox was pushing online gaming to the max when the PS2 was still fumbling around is another stone in the fire.

Dont get me started on the playstation controller. The playstation controller is the least ergonomic controller out there to this day. I'll take a Wii mote before playstation controller.

I've heard more PS2 consoles having trouble then any other console of its time. The Dreamcast and gamecube had next to no problems and the Xbox had a few disc tray problems.

People will argue 100+ million consoles...but just because something sells alot doesn't make it good.

Sportyfamilycar

Not sure about the racing game because I'm not a racing game fan, I'd probably just discard both :P

And saying Most of the PS2's big titles later came to the XBox is incredibly innaccurate, but I don't want to get into list wars, because the list is enourmous, so I'll just keep it at that.

Don't get me wrong, I have an XBOX and love the hell out of it, and it has some great exclusives (Phantom Dust, Dreamfall: The Longet Journey, Otogi), but if you compare it's library to the PS2's, the PS2 has much more to offer, for a person who likes lots of genres of games, there wasn't any other console as perfect as the PS2 for me. It's the go-to console for games in pretty much every genre. (If you know Japanese you can even get Visual Novels for it).

I agree the online feature on the XBOX was obviously miles better than the PS2, though the PS2 still had quite a few online play, still nothing compared to the XBOX though.

I really don't see some people's beef with it's controller, I honestly find the original XBOX's controller less comfortable than the PS2's (although I still like the XBOX's controller), it might be because I'l just more used to using the PS2 controller, but I really don't get the "non ergonomic" argument lots of people use, I musst have weird hands, because I find it one of the most comfortable controllers I've used.

You're probably right about it being less reliable than the other 3 that gen, but it still IS reliable. I had my Slim for about 6 or 7 years and it's till running great, my friend still has a working fat PS2 also.

And I never used, never use, and never will use sales to defend why I love the PS2, sales really don't matter to me because only one of those sale is actually mine.

And to be honest, I can't think of a gaming console I've played that I actually dislike, some I may find over-hyped/inferior to others, but that's not a reason to dislike it altogether.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
pc obv