The best RPGs of the years through the years (1990-2008)

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14925 Posts

I posted this on another website...so its copy and paste

-----------------------

I am going to use the very earliest release date of the game to represent that year, so many times it is the Japanese release date. I am going to try to have one winner per year, but in years with multiple great RPGs, there will be honorable mentions.

1990 - Dragon Quest IV

The fourth installment of the Dragon Quest series introduced chapter-based storylines with the main hero introduced in the final one, as well as many memorable moments. While it doesn't quite reach the heights of the third Dragon Quest, it is still an amazing game and one of the top RPGs.

1991 - Final Fantasy IV

One of the greatest RPGs ever made, and one of the most important as well. This game captured the hearts of millions and helped put console RPGs on the map when it was released here in the US as Final Fantasy II. Introduced the Active Time Battle system which became a staple of the franchise and helped popularize cinematic storytelling. While this game shows its age, it is still highly respected and popular today, as you can see with its DS remake as well as its sequel, The After Years.

1992 - Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Along with Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, this is the best game in the series (even Richard Garriot who designed the Ultima series agrees). This game was darker than the Ultima Enlightment trilogy (IV, V, and VI), the game opened up with a grisly murder and a taunt by the evil entity known as the Guardian. Being only half of the game, Part Two: The Serpent Isle was released the following year and took a risk, it left Britannia and introduced a new virtue system. That game was also stellar. While they haven't aged well, Ultima VII still is a good experience.

1993 - Secret of Mana

One of the most belovedgames of all time, it holds up today as well as being as popular as ever. It has a great story for its time, memorable characters (oh Sprite), and epic boss fights. It's soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time as well, with "Angel's Fear" "Oracle" and "Spirit of the Night" being the highlights.

Honorable Mention - Betrayal at Krondor

One of the most important WRPGs, but also one of the most overlooked. It had a linear storyline (and a good one), but it allowed you some freedom. It is on many best PC games of all time lists. Too bad its sequel was a letdown.

1994 - Final Fantasy VI

One of, if not the, best console RPG ever released. This game still amazes, it holds up just as well today as it did back in 1994. This game was revolutionary in its storytelling, no longer was it about a hero that defeats a great evil entity, but about dealing with what it meant to be human and the happiness and the sadness that comes with it. It deals with more mature themes that were not touched on before in console RPGs such as the heartbreak of losing a loved one. The villain, Kefka Palazzo, is one of the most memorable characters in gaming (as well as one of the most vile and despicable), as well as the two strong female protagonists and their friends and allies. The soundtrack may be the best ever composed with the legendary Terra's Theme, Aria Di Mezzo Carattere, and the epic final boss theme, Dancing Mad. And who can forget the Opera?????? This game is essential. Its not only the best game in the Final Fantasy series, but one of the best of all time.

Honorable Mention: Earthbound

This quirky JRPG has attained the status of a cult hit. Its silly world and characters, along with a strong story, make this game one of a kind. And who can forget the final boss fight, one of the craziest in gaming.

1995 - Chrono Trigger

Another legendary masterpiece, it is one of the most beloved games of all time. It was fresh and new and the gameplay was top notch. The characters were excellent and the theme of second chances made the story memorable. Its soundtrack is one of the best and the removal of random battles was a huge step foreward. The combo attack system and the uniqueness of the characters really set this game's gameplay system above all others in the world of console RPGs. This game amazes, like FFVI before it, in how it stands the test of time.

Honorable Mention: Seiken Densetsu 3

It has a much better gameplay system than its predecessor, Secret of Mana, although the story isn't as good. But it still has the Mana charm, as well as replayability as there are 6 different beginnings and three final dungeons and bosses. The team combos you can do are endless.

1996 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

This was a risky project, I was skeptical in how Mario would fit into an RPG. I was wrong, as this became not only one of the best RPGs, but spawned a whole bunch of great Mario RPG games like the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series. It was also memorable for being a great Nintendo-Square colloboration, in which the relationship fell apart soon afterwards.

1997 - Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

This game was released in the same month as FFVII, and while FFVII captured the hearts of millions, Fallout quietly became the best RPG of that year, and not only that, it was one of the most revolutionary RPGs ever made. First, it took the RPG out of the doldrums of high fantasy and fit it into an apocolyptic wasteland, with a unique 1950'sworld. Second, it had excellent writing with memorbale characters. Third, it is you that tells the story. The time limit gives you a since of urgency, as your vault is dying while you look for that water chip. And once you do find that water chip, its not over, as a new threat threatens the vault.... It was also epically gory as well, even today, it can sicken the squemish. But this is one of the most important WRPGs of all time and it was way more than just violence.

Honorable Mention: Final Fantasy Tactics

Who knew that a risky spinoff game would have such great gameplay and a great story. While there is translation problems, the epic storyline is one of the best in the series, dealing with mature themes such as war, the nature of religion, and a fractured friendship. The gameplay is also top notch, with many different characterc lassesuse. Maybe the best PS1 FF, and its not even in the main series!!!!

1998 - Fallout 2

And a year later, an even more grand Fallout came out. While this game is indeed unfinished with missing content and horrible bugs, the scope of the sequel surpasses the original. Bombed out slums became major cities and city-states, with tensions between them. The world is more realized and unique. The game took on more darker and mature themes, but kept its sense of humor. And the villains established themselves as the series main antagonists...the remanants of the US Governemnt, with its dark secrets and aims. The game is essential, especially now with Killap's Restoration Mod released last year that puts back in all the cut content, completing the game and the experience.

Honorable Mention: Baldur's Gate

Responsible for the creation of the Infinity engine used by many great WRPG titles, this game was also good in itself and helped WRPGs gain momentum and popularity.

1999 - Suikoden II

One epic overlooked masterpiece, one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. The story follows two friends that are split apart by war and fate. Many memorable characters such as Nanami, Pilika, Teresa, and others bring the humanity to the story. The story takes a "simple is better" approach, and avoids the prentention and convolution of other JRPGs, but still tells an effective tale with great depth. The gameplay is also fast paced (a little easy) and its leveling system makes grinding unfeasible. No wonder it is on X-Plays Top 5 Must Own RPGs.....good luck finding this game, it runs for over $100 now for a USED COPY!!!!

Honorable Mention: Planescape Torment

Epic, smart, well written narrative...a fan favorite. This game turned the genre on its head with strange but memorable characters and its unique storyline about an immortal who committed a terrible crime. Redemption is up to you.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 texasgoldrush

2000 - Baldur's Gate II

A fan favorite and considered one of the greatest RPG's ever made, this game helped break WRPGs into the mainstream and truly made Bioware a respected company. Epic storyline for both the original game and its expansion, with memorable characters and quests. This game also won many awards and kicked of 2000-2010 as the decade of the WRPG.

Honorable Mention: Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy IX

Valkyrie Profile was an overlooked gem with a unique story based in Norse mythology, as well as unique gameplay elements. FFIX took the series back to its roots with a great art direction, a good plot, and excellent memorable characters.

2001 - Paper Mario

An excellent follow up to Mario RPG with a unique artwork and a simple but effective battle system. This game was also really funny. In my opinion, its the best Mario RPG game.

2002 - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

A fan favorite, this game took a unique art design in a genre known for its European medieval settings and gave players a since of freedom. Many believe that this game was the best in the series and that its sequel is dumbed down.

Honorable Mention : Neverwinter Nights

A step back from Baldur's Gate II in my opinion, but still a really good game. Bioware's worst game is still better than the best games made by many companies.

2003 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

This game was earth-shattering. If Baldur's Gate II didn't open the door for WRPGs to have mainstream success, this game blew those doors down. It made great use of the Star Wars liscence and set a whole new spin on it. The story was even better than the prequel movies. The choice between following the drak or light side of the force was well as lightsaber action attracted fans.

2004 - Fable

Although somewhat short and in need of its expansion pack, this game had its charm and a great story with an excellent villain, Jack of Blades. While it wasn't the grand game that Peter Molyneux envisioned and even sold it as, it was still a great game.

Honorable Mention: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

While the first game is though of as better overall by fans, the story of this game is superior to the original. It took the black and white Star Wars franchise to a unique place, telling a story with shades of grey, especially with its main antagonist in the end.

2005 - Jade Empire

Very beautiful game and underrated and overlooked in Bioware's catalog. The world, narrative, and characters were much more mature than in their past works, with themes of death and corruption, as well as mankinds path in the world. The wuxia setting is beautiful and unique and I find being evil hard in this game, due to the game's strong humanistic themes.

2006 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I find this game slightly overrated, with a linear and thin plot as well as lack of choices in the quest themselves, but there is no RPG in 2006 I put more hours into. The graphics and art design were beautiful and the world felt more alive than many games before it. The Shivering Isles expansion was excellent.

Honorable Mention: Neverwinter Nights 2

A better game than the first, with a better story and gameplay. While it isn't the Black Isle/Obsidian team's best written game, it still shows they are the top team in writing RPGs. It also reminds me of a western version of the Suikoden games where you acquire a keep and build it up, recruiting vendors and building siege defenses, which adds a strategy element.

2007 - Mass Effect

One of the greatest RPGs ever made and of this generation, Mass Effect is Bioware's masterpiece and it sets the bar for RPGs in the future. This game features excellent even complex characters such as Ashley Williams and Garrus, and mature subject matter such as bioethics, military ethics, and xenophobia. I find that this game only asks questions, not gives the answers, to moral dilemmas especially on how to deal with dangerous criminals and terrorists. Bioware has finally succeeded in conveying shades of gray. With the prospect of actions in this game effecting the sequel, this game becomes even more essential. And for the conversation system, huge step up....

Honorable Mention - The Witcher

Excellent low fantasy universe with a narrative that also contains shades of gray. This game suprised many and is now heralded as one of the top games in the genre.

2008 - Fallout 3

No game in 2008 has won more GOTY awards in 2008 than this one. While in my opinion, Fallout 2 is better, this game presents its desolate environment the best. Washington DC is an excellent location and the sense of exploration is better done here than in the past games. The DLC is also excellent. I do hope the next Fallout uses a different engine though, F3 played clunky.

2009 - Dragon Age: Origins

This game is suprising. After is terrible marketing campaign with a Marilyn Manson song even included in one of its trailers, the game dropped and it was nothing like the game that was advertised for so long. It truly was a deep and mature game, and handled its subject matter well. While the story is overall kind of cliched, its character cast may be Bioware's best, especially Leliana, who steals the show (romance her). There are also heartfelt moments in the game such as the best ending to the dalish elf quest. And this is a warm up to Mass Effect 2, wow what a warm up.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

2009 - Demon's Souls

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 texasgoldrush

2009 - Demon's Souls

amsfm6
I am predicting Dragon Age: Origins For 2010 it will be tougher, its probably going to be between Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas, and Fable III (which looks revolutionary).
amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

2009 - Demon's Souls

texasgoldrush

I am predicting Dragon Age: Origins For 2010 it will be tougher, its probably going to be between Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas, and Fable III (which looks revolutionary).

See, that's where you're wrong. I'm predicting you don't have a ps3

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="amsfm6"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="amsfm6"]

2009 - Demon's Souls

First Dragon Age review.... http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx Demon's Souls looks interesting, but it looks like it will be a "love it or hate it" kind of game. Dragon Age is made by the RPG masters of Bioware, and from the looks of it, it is another hit. It is far deeper in story and gameplay than Demon's Souls.
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
I agree with this list.. Not expecting Suikoden 2 to be included but I'm happy that it did..
vaultboy_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vaultboy_ninja
Member since 2009 • 2684 Posts

I am predicting Dragon Age: Origins For 2010 it will be tougher, its probably going to be between Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas, and Fable III (which looks revolutionary).texasgoldrush

I'm really looking forward for this one.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Naturally, I disagree with your list but I'm surprised that you like Final Fantasy Tactics. It's story is quite complex and has a considerable amount of depth. It can easily be considered "convoluted." I'm surprised to see it on there.

You are aware that Demon's Souls is getting more love than hate, are you not? I've only heard of one review where it didn't get AAA.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#10 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Deus Ex 1?
Bretten2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bretten2
Member since 2003 • 55 Posts

No mention of Xenogears, and placing Planescape as an honourable mention, makes this entire list invalid.

mystery323x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 mystery323x
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

Very good post. I still own most the games there.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 texasgoldrush

No mention of Xenogears, and placing Planescape as an honourable mention, makes this entire list invalid.

Bretten2
I find Xenogears overrated. Fallout 2 is much much better anyway. Planescape is a great game, but Suikoden II was really really good. Have you even played it?
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Naturally, I disagree with your list but I'm surprised that you like Final Fantasy Tactics. It's story is quite complex and has a considerable amount of depth. It can easily be considered "convoluted." I'm surprised to see it on there.

You are aware that Demon's Souls is getting more love than hate, are you not? I've only heard of one review where it didn't get AAA.

Check the fan reception, they matter just as much as game reviewers, maybe more. And in FF Tactics case, the depth and complexity were handled really well.....its direction was great.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
What's the point of this thread? It's obviously just an opinion based input. Many people will disagree with at least one if not more, but it's not like that will change your ranking. It's obviously different from even gamespot's best rpg award they give out annually. That is a big list of games, but the only thing I get out of it is that you can sort the games you like in the years they came out. Good for you.
triforce_77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 triforce_77
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

*looking through the list*

*cant' find the tales of phantasia english port to the Gba*

its an awesome rpg imo

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I still have my pretty much mint condition copy of Suikoden 2 in a drawer under my bed. I should really sell it at some point - it looks like it could fetch a hefty sum. That said, it is the PAL version, so that could cut my potential customer list quite a bit. Ditto for Dreamcast Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1 and 2. Anyway, no love for Secret of Evermore? I got this as I was moving on to the N64 and leaving my 16-bit days behind, but I thought it was an excellent title.

rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

I would choose Baldur's Gate or Morrowind. Although I don't rate it as a true RPG, I really liked Fable.

I used to love killing entire villages, right down to the last chicken.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush

I still have my pretty much mint condition copy of Suikoden 2 in a drawer under my bed. I should really sell it at some point - it looks like it could fetch a hefty sum. That said, it is the PAL version, so that could cut my potential customer list quite a bit. Ditto for Dreamcast Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1 and 2. Anyway, no love for Secret of Evermore? I got this as I was moving on to the N64 and leaving my 16-bit days behind, but I thought it was an excellent title.

Business_Fun
Secret of Evermore was good for what it was, but it was nothing legendary. Consider, it was also basically a replacement for Japan-exclusive Seiken Densetsu 3, which was far superior. Suikoden II needs to be played, its that good. No wonder its worth a lot.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 texasgoldrush
Deus Ex 1? biggest_loser
I consider it more of a shooter with RPG elements....it is a great game, one of my faves. I do find Invisible Wars narrative better, it is tighter, although the first game plays better.
SpiralStairsS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SpiralStairsS
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts

I'm gonna agree with gamespot on this one and say that Persona 3 was the best RPG of '07, not Mass Effect. And I would say that Fallout and FFT are a tie. Good list though.

Also, Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines was the best RPG of 2004.

The_AI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_AI
Member since 2006 • 4791 Posts

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="amsfm6"]

2009 - Demon's Souls

amsfm6

I'm predicting you're a fanboy. ;)

In all honesty, Dragon Age: Originsand Borderlands are the RPGs to watch this year. I've heard that Demon's Souls is fantastic, however.

Overall, this was a very well written piece. Good job, TC. And kudos for not including FFVII. It's a great FF game, but it's insanely overrated.

EDIT: I just noticed that your list is sorely lacking in both Diablo games. :? Still a good list, but it seems like a big oversight.

Avatar image for strategik_basic
strategik_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 strategik_basic
Member since 2002 • 364 Posts

Decent list. As far as someone asking what the point of the thread is... it's a discussion board so the original poster was posting this to drum up conversation and getting various opinions a.k.a. discussion.

Outstanding ones (according to me) in the original poster's list are FFT, KOTOR I & II, and Mass Effect.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="SpiralStairsS"]

I'm gonna agree with gamespot on this one and say that Persona 3 was the best RPG of '07, not Mass Effect. And I would say that Fallout and FFT are a tie. Good list though.

Also, Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines was the best RPG of 2004.

I have not played Bloodlines, but I did like Redemption. Mass Effect winning RPG of 2007 was pretty much near unanimous, only a few sites like Gamespot picked another game. The Witcher was also pretty great. Mass Effect even has some GOTY awards.
SpiralStairsS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpiralStairsS
Member since 2009 • 264 Posts
Trust me, it's a lot better than Fable. A lot of people say they experienced bugs and game killing glitches, but I was lucky to not be one of those people.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hakanakumono

TC, What about Final Fantasy IX? I don't really care for it that much, but it seems like the kind of JRPG you'd like. The storytelling is fairly simple as are the characters and there's depth, but not "too much depth." It's probably the highest quality Final Fantasy released, in terms of production quality (XIII looks to surpass it though).

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 texasgoldrush

TC, What about Final Fantasy IX? I don't really care for it that much, but it seems like the kind of JRPG you'd like. The storytelling is fairly simple as are the characters and there's depth, but not "too much depth." It's probably the highest quality Final Fantasy released, in terms of production quality (XIII looks to surpass it though).

hakanakumono

Its not the amount of depth, its how they use it. Both Xenogears and Planescape Torment are very deep games, but Planescape Torment is superior because it uses its depth much more effectively. "Too much depth" comes from when the story cannot handle it. Direction is more important than depth as simple well told stories can beat poorly told deep ones.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

texasgoldrush

Its not the amount of depth, its how they use it. Both Xenogears and Planescape Torment are very deep games, but Planescape Torment is superior because it uses its depth much more effectively. "Too much depth" comes from when the story cannot handle it. Direction is more important than depth as simple well told stories can beat poorly told deep ones.

Xenogears handles all of it's depth well and it is extremely well told, even on disc 2 when it summarizes portions because they're very well written and presented well ... as well.

Xenogears is just the kind of game that has so much going on that you pick up on new things every time you play and you understand it better the 2nd time. But that's part of what makes it great. It's the same reason why Xenosaga is great, although Xenosaga's storytelling is sloppy. The thing about Xenogears is that the basic plot is very easy to follow as the story goes along. Sure, it does take some deduction to figure out what's going on with Elly and Fei, but if you've had English classes you should be familiar with stories that require some thinking to figure out exactly what is going on. That's really the strength of Japanese storytelling. It doesn't spell everything out for you, it leaves it up for you to figure out to some degree and it avoids the western habit of going through unrealistic hoops to explain something. I guess if you're playing a Japanese game you should accept that you're playing a game from a culture that favors vagueness to clarity.

And I disagree. I'd rather have a complex story than a simple story, even if the simple story's presentation trumps the complex stories'.

bisonfan2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bisonfan2010
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts

Final Fantasy X isn't even an honorable mention?

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hakanakumono

bisonfan2010

He hates Final Fantasy X.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Xenogears handles all of it's depth well and it is extremely well told, even on disc 2 when it summarizes portions because they're very well written and presented well ... as well.

Xenogears is just the kind of game that has so much going on that you pick up on new things every time you play and you understand it better the 2nd time. But that's part of what makes it great. It's the same reason why Xenosaga is great, although Xenosaga's storytelling is sloppy. The thing about Xenogears is that the basic plot is very easy to follow as the story goes along. Sure, it does take some deduction to figure out what's going on with Elly and Fei, but if you've had English classes you should be familiar with stories that require some thinking to figure out exactly what is going on. That's really the strength of Japanese storytelling. It doesn't spell everything out for you, it leaves it up for you to figure out to some degree and it avoids the western habit of going through unrealistic hoops to explain something. I guess if you're playing a Japanese game you should accept that you're playing a game from a culture that favors vagueness to clarity.

And I disagree. I'd rather have a complex story than a simple story, even if the simple story's presentation trumps the complex stories'.

Planescape Torment did not have to go throw hoops to explain everything, and it does sometimes takes a second playthrough. It also does not have the pacing problems that a game like Xenogears has, and for added bonus a game like Planescape adds depth through the consquences of you actions you can take in playing the game. I have not played Xenosaga, but I heard how much of a lesser series it is compered to Xenogears. Disc 2 really killed Xenogears for me, and made it in my mind an 8 out of 10 game. I also find a lot of the complexity and depth forced. Didn't feel that in Planescape Torment. I felt that Xenogears tried to be deep, but I felt that PT, it came naturally for the creators. That Black Isle/Obsidan team are excellent in writing RPGs. If it wasn't for the beatiful Suikoden II coming out that same year, PT would have easily been my RPG of 1999, its one of my top 10. I like deep stories, if they are handled well. But like I said, while a deep story should beat a less deep story, it doesn't, because always a well told story beats a less well told one.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

I actually like FFX, but I also think its a tad overrated.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

texasgoldrush

Planescape Torment did not have to go throw hoops to explain everything, and it does sometimes takes a second playthrough. It also does not have the pacing problems that a game like Xenogears has, and for added bonus a game like Planescape adds depth through the consquences of you actions you can take in playing the game. I have not played Xenosaga, but I heard how much of a lesser series it is compered to Xenogears. Disc 2 really killed Xenogears for me, and made it in my mind an 8 out of 10 game. I also find a lot of the complexity and depth forced. Didn't feel that in Planescape Torment. I felt that Xenogears tried to be deep, but I felt that PT, it came naturally for the creators. That Black Isle/Obsidan team are excellent in writing RPGs. If it wasn't for the beatiful Suikoden II coming out that same year, PT would have easily been my RPG of 1999, its one of my top 10. I like deep stories, if they are handled well. But like I said, while a deep story should beat a less deep story, it doesn't, because always a well told story beats a less well told one.

Play Xenosaga first. Xenosaga basically runs parallel to Xenogears and is a sort of a retelling of concepts in Xenogears. But Xenogears is better overall. Xenosaga is hit and miss in it's presentation, but overall it's definitely a must play RPG with a lot of interesting things going on.

It didn't feel forced to me at all.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts
Where's the love for The Thousand Year Door?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

Very nice list. I couldn't agree more considering most of my favorites are on this list haha.

kolkov01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kolkov01
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts
no vampire the masquerade: bloodlines and what's worse, no Neverwinter nights 2: mask of the betrayer, I'v been playing RPG's for almost two decades and these two games just might be the best RPG's i'v ever played
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

No Chrono Cross and Shin Megami Tensei games? I thought Persona 4 was better then Fallout 3. I'm also surprised with no SRPG's.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 texasgoldrush

No Chrono Cross and Shin Megami Tensei games? I thought Persona 4 was better then Fallout 3. I'm also surprised with no SRPG's.

Seabas989
FF Tactics is on here, and I liked the Ogre Battle games, but not enough to say they were the best of the year. I did not put the Heroes of Might and Magic games on here because I consider them strategy games. As for Neverwinter Nights 2, I will mention it honorably, I forgot it. Yes, it was great.
Nevlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nevlim
Member since 2007 • 5312 Posts
Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia
Vermonol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vermonol
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

Good list. How would you rate Vagrant Story?

wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="bisonfan2010"]

In my opinion FFX is the best final fantasy game - I wish that they would reuse the battle system for another title. IX had great art direction and graphics but other than that it doesn't have much going for it. It's the same old turn based battle system, a horrible cast, too much dialogue questioning the meaning of life theme. Seiken Densetsu 3 is a bit overrated. It was larger in scale than Secret of Mana but the gameplay was worst since the characters were stuck to one class i.e. couldn't use different weapons. I thought Secret of Mana's use any weapon aspect made the game what it was and less linear/standard than other rpgs. Can't say much about most of the games since a lot are for the PC.
bisonfan2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bisonfan2010
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts

I would also mention FFXII but that game you either love or hate lol.

Some other good ones to consider for the 90s was the pokemon games, but that is a little bit of a love/hate/nostalgic feeling too lol.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

wackoss

In my opinion FFX is the best final fantasy game - I wish that they would reuse the battle system for another title. IX had great art direction and graphics but other than that it doesn't have much going for it. It's the same old turn based battle system, a horrible cast, too much dialogue questioning the meaning of life theme. Seiken Densetsu 3 is a bit overrated. It was larger in scale than Secret of Mana but the gameplay was worst since the characters were stuck to one class i.e. couldn't use different weapons. I thought Secret of Mana's use any weapon aspect made the game what it was and less linear/standard than other rpgs. Can't say much about most of the games since a lot are for the PC.

X had a great battle system, a great soundtrack, and some really memorable moments, but it had an average story and poor voice acting. IX had a great cast (only FFVI had a better cast), great art direction, and while the story is flawed in some places, it holds pretty well. I can see why it is a fave of Sakaguchi. But FFVI is the best overall FF. SD3's gameplay was excellent. Sure you had the same weapons, but each class for a character played pretty much differently from the others. SoM system had a lot more grinding involved, too much actually.

As for Vagrant Story, it was pretty good, unique for a JRPG in its narrative, but I wouldn't say it is better than say Suikoden II or Valkyrie Profile.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

1995 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

2000 - Final Fantasy X

2002 - Kingdom Hearts

2006 - Kingdom Hearts 2

2009 - Demon Souls

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

What about Parasite Eve Chrono Cross Xenogears Final Fantasy X those are all very great RPGs

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

No PS2/PS3/Gamecube RPGs? Um...

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 texasgoldrush

No PS2/PS3/Gamecube RPGs? Um...

TSNAKE617
They were soundly thrashed by the Xbox and PC Western RPGs.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 texasgoldrush
Dragon Age Orgins has easily won RPG of 2009 and is now going to be added.
TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

Dragon Age Orgins has easily won RPG of 2009 and is now going to be added.texasgoldrush

Um... Demon's Souls wants to see Dragon Age out back by the dumpster... :

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]Dragon Age Orgins has easily won RPG of 2009 and is now going to be added.TSNAKE617

Um... Demon's Souls wants to see Dragon Age out back by the dumpster... :

Demon's Souls lacks something that Dragon Age has, a great story and great characters. Demon's Souls is a good game, but its a tad overrated. Really, the challange and the boss fights keeps it from being a borefest. While Dragon Age has a somewhat cliched plotline, it has memorable moments and characters, especially Leliana, that make up for it. It is well written and well thought out in its themes.