BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: If we're talking about trial and error sometimes I don't mind it like in splinter cell. It feels absolutely amazing when u finally get it right. And as you progress you get better and smarter at the game and end up having to restart a lot less. I liked that. So would you say bloodborne is also like that? Haven't tried any of the souls games btw so no experience here.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#52 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It is a game for casuals, apparently. Someone just today in the Playstation forum said it was specifically geared to casuals. His name was Jasonguy. He said the game is completely devoid of any skill.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@BboyStatix:

Obviously..... but how does it feel all those other times when you're not getting it right ?

Besides Splinter Cell (which I just ordered today) is an entirely different story...... it doesn't feel cheap...... you're presented with a fair and clever challenge..... Souls Games just feel like they're wasting your time...... I mean whats so clever about Mimicks ? the game lures you into a false sense of security with all the other chests you encounter and then all of sudden when 7 hours into the game they decide to insta kill you by surprize in the most annoying level of the game......

Meanwhile Stealth Games are getting better..... no longer do you instantly lose if you get spotted..... you can break line of site. The iteration cycles are much much shorter.

But then again blood borne is also An improvement..... as OP has already mentioned.

Edit; disregard the last sentence.... I thought we weRe somewhere else.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17699 Posts

Agreed, I don't think there's anything wrong with the option for a lesser difficulty. Difficulty is not some objective standard for each person, it's subjective and should be catered to as long as it doesn't infringe upon the design of the game itself or its intended default difficulty.

Put a pink ribbon around my ankle like Ninja Gaiden does, I don't care. There's no harm in making it optional. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to see what this game has to offer because I've been pouring hours into it and still haven't beat the first boss. There's a line between hard, and so hard that for many, it precludes them from experiencing what they paid for.

That's a problem.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Treflis:

I'd like to see this interview........

I've tried to find it but I do recall this was after Demon Souls had been released and Dark Souls had been announced.
So it is some time ago to find the specific interview I remember, Which I will admit It might also have me remember incorrectly since it's so long ago.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lulu_Lulu

@Treflis:

That Miyazaki is a sneaky one isn't he ? :(

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Treflis:

That Miyazaki is a sneaky one isn't he ? :(

Indeed. Probably had anchestors that lived in the Iga providence of Feudal Japan.
Thus why he's so sneaky, it's in his blood.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu

@Treflis:

I remember this one time I fell through the floor in the Catacombs and was ganked by 3 Skellies........ didn't even get a chance to roll. :(

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#59  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70512 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Agreed, I don't think there's anything wrong with the option for a lesser difficulty. Difficulty is not some objective standard for each person, it's subjective and should be catered to as long as it doesn't infringe upon the design of the game itself or its intended default difficulty.

Put a pink ribbon around my ankle like Ninja Gaiden does, I don't care. There's no harm in making it optional. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to see what this game has to offer because I've been pouring hours into it and still haven't beat the first boss. There's a line between hard, and so hard that for many, it precludes them from experiencing what they paid for.

That's a problem.

I can feel you on this. I fought him twice so far but haven't defeated him. The first time I was given an awful camera view after cutscene and I was confused as to what was happening. By the time I realize what was happening it was a bit too late. He is fast and hits hard and he shoots regularly. It didn't help that my attacks were meaningless. I initially thought he was invincible because his health was not budging until I was near death. The second attempt was not as terrible but still awful. My attacks can now do damage because I leveled my guy a bit but its still chipping away his health very slowly.

I was greatly annoyed that the game wastes your time by collecting blood echoes because they are practically useless until you die after the first boss encounter. That is such an asinine design choice.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77 said:

That's a problem.

I can feel you on this. I fought him twice so far but haven't defeated him. The first time I was given an awful camera view after cutscene and I was confused as to what was happening. By the time I realize what was happening it was a bit too late. He is fast and hits hard and he shoots regularly. It didn't help that my attacks were meaningless. I initially thought he was invincible because his health was not budging until I was near death. The second attempt was not as terrible but still awful. My attacks can now do damage because I leveled my guy a bit but its still chipping away his health very slowly.

I was greatly annoyed that the game wastes your time by collecting blood echoes because they are practically useless until you die after the first boss encounter. That is such an asinine design choice.

Leveling has nothing to do with anything so early in the game. It's all skill. If you're farming or putting any emphasis on leveling up, you're doing more than what's necessary to progress in the game. The first boss isn't that hard. The 2nd one is a lot harder, but not that hard.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Lulu_Lulu

@Pedro:

It could be worse....... alot worse.

#BedOfChaos

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#62 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

Not a game I would play, so I just play something else instead. No biggie.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lulu_Lulu

@KHAndAnime:

So the level up system is pointless ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lulu_Lulu

@speedfreak48t5p:

What are you currently playing anyway ?

chaos__shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By chaos__shadow
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

I agree with @doozie78 and the majority of people. The series being hard is nothing new. And they haven't tried to hide it. It's their prerogative to do whatever they want to with their game, and it's been working very well for them. Not everybody likes kiddie where you can't die. There are plenty of "good games" out there that are not hard, and nothing will possess you to buy the hard one. Not every game is for everybody. Never has been and never will. As someone else said, get better at it. Accept that it's hard and improve. If you can't accept that then don't play the game.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Not a game I would play, so I just play something else instead. No biggie.

I would say that's a good idea. There is plenty of stuff that appeals to the mainstream nowadays. A lot of people probably wouldn't have been gamers back in the day because of the level of difficulty until Nintendo came along that is. Finding games now that are actually engrossing and challenging is a chore and I'll take what I can get. Gaming is a past time for some and it's a hobby for others. It's like building gaming rigs. SOme people like that and get into it, some people don't. I like that Bloodborne challenges you and the amount of depth to it. I agree with those that if you put an easy mode in the game it would basically ruin the entire point of the game ie exploring and tension and deciding when to do what.

Most games now are about the bottom line and sales and pandering to the masses. They also sacrifice quality in doing so. When a game like bloodborne comes along I'll relish it because there aren't many games like it. I think sony in general has kept that quality over quanity moniker in wa ys. They have a few games like that that don't sacrifice quality. MLB The Show is a game that has a niche and does this as well. They have a few exclusives like that. Their hardware is usually a cut above Microsoft as well because they aren't sacrificing quality for the bottom line and are still driving innovation in ways.

All in all this is what I want from games so this is what Bloodborne does right to me. To each their own but I see it the complete opposite.

MLB The show thing is they added an easy mode and did it sell more? No it didn't. Some people just aren't going to like those kind of games. People complained it was too hard. They added an easy mode and people still didn't buy it because they weren't going to redesign the entire game or sacrifice quality to do so. The game itself is designed to be as realistic and as much a sim as possible and some people like it and some don't. That's just the kind of game it is.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@chaos__shadow:

Just say Git Gud next time.... brevity is your friend. :)

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#68 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Dirt 3

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lulu_Lulu

@speedfreak48t5p:

Damn I love it when you talk DiRTy ! ;)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Pedro

@KHAndAnime

How does this change the fact that the blood echoes collected was a waste of my time? Also the game does not tell what to do or what the objective is so, the chances of doing it "wrong" is exceptionally high because their is no obvious direction.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

The people in this thread who are saying a easy mode would ruin the game makes no sense because the people who are looking for that hardcore challenge would continue to play the game as it is now nothing would change for them, and the people who are looking for a more reasonable challenge would go to the easy mode and everybody would be happy, so how would this ruin the game explain that to me.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

@yukushi said:

The people in this thread who are saying a easy mode would ruin the game makes no sense because the people who are looking for that hardcore challenge would continue to play the game as it is now nothing would change for them, and the people who are looking for a more reasonable challenge would go to the easy mode and everybody would be happy, so how would this ruin the game explain that to me.

I think the issue more is even if they added an easy mode people who don't like the game would still find reasons not to like the game until the dumbed it down to the point where it wasn't even the same game anymore. Like I was saying MLB the show added an easy mode. The people who didn't like it still don't like it. It was a waste of development time.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

The Souls games would be a whole lot more interesting to me if they had randomly generated levels each time you die. Replaying a long segment where the map and enemy locations are exactly the same is incredibly boring.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PurpleMan5000

Also, the difficulty is one of the only things From got right with this series. The game wouldn't be any fun at all if it were easier. At least there is some sense of accomplishment in proceeding with the higher difficulty.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Pedro

@yukushi said:

It would factually not ruin the game it would however ruin the egos of people who rely on these games to gain some semblance of accomplishment. Anytime a gamer suggest the exclusion of a feature that will not affect their experience is because of some self centered and egotistical nonsense.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@PurpleMan5000:

Isn't that what the Chalice Dungeon is for ?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 PurpleMan5000

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@PurpleMan5000:

Isn't that what the Chalice Dungeon is for ?

I've only ever played Demon's Souls. I'm not sure what the Chalice Dungeon even is.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@PurpleMan5000:

Its a Challenge mode in Blood Borne..... beyond that I know nothing else..... somebody who actually has the game can fill you in but according to GT's Review its a special mode with Randomly Generated enemies and Traps...

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@yukushi said:

I think the issue more is even if they added an easy mode people who don't like the game would still find reasons not to like the game until the dumbed it down to the point where it wasn't even the same game anymore. Like I was saying MLB the show added an easy mode. The people who didn't like it still don't like it. It was a waste of development time.

You don't know that. Adding an "easy" mode would allow people to advance in the game. The primary problem right now is many people can't get to the first fricken' checkpoint. You don't even know if you like the game or not if you have to keep replaying the same 15 minute stretch. If people could actually get into the game a bit rather than being killed immediately they could actually see if the game has anything to offer. I've read plenty of people saying that they are returning the game already. That isn't good for the developer or the consumer.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Lulu_Lulu

@firefox59:

Not exactly..... From Software doesn't Mind.... they knew they were making nichè game that only appeals to those Zealots.

and with that said.... looking forward to the Phantom Pain ? Its gonna be awesome. :)

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Fairmonkey  Online
Member since 2011 • 2313 Posts

Play something else then. Over 95% of games are too easy or casual. Bloodborne is godly so far in my opinion

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17699 Posts

@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77 said:

That's a problem.

Yup. Not very welcoming.

I can hear the argument for difficulty, but to stand on principle to make a point while excluding those who don't have the skill (and many don't) seems a bit silly to me. That's what FROM seems to be doing, just, "we're going to make this extremely difficult with no allowances for anyone else" as if for their rep. I suppose that's their right, but I think they're probably missing out on a few sales because of it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I suck at Mario Bros and still play ( any of my kids whups my rear end at it ) actually I think I haven't finished the Wii version, so Bloodborne is hard ? ------> hell, bring it on, I'm ready for it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@BassMan said:

To dumb down the gameplay would be stripping away what makes these games so great in the first place. It would be taking away their souls. ;)

The games aren't "smart" to begin with. They simply rely on trial and error, rinse and repeat. The games aren't about skill (any more than most games), just the players threshold for abuse and their patience.

I hate it when Souls fans' act like they're better gamers than other players out there, and tell people to "git gud" and similar bull poop.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lulu_Lulu

@Bigboi500:

So True......

Its already dumbed down..... its just annoying too..... I'm pretty sure theres a bunch of other games with an equally lackluster combat System.... only they have a better save system and don't require an excessive amount of tedious back tracking and grinding..... and they have maps..... MAPS, BigBoi !!! Thats like.... Huge !

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#86  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@BassMan said:

To dumb down the gameplay would be stripping away what makes these games so great in the first place. It would be taking away their souls. ;)

The games aren't "smart" to begin with. They simply rely on trial and error, rinse and repeat. The games aren't about skill (any more than most games), just the players threshold for abuse and their patience.

I hate it when Souls fans' act like they're better gamers than other players out there, and tell people to "git gud" and similar bull poop.

Once you get the hang of the mechanics and notice enemy telegraphs they really don't.

Where did you read these skill boasts? YouTube? Regardless, these games were never purely about excessive difficulty.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 KHAndAnime

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@KHAndAnime:

So the level up system is pointless ?

Yes, in the first few hours of the game, levelling up isn't going to change much for you in terms of difficulty.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#88  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@SovietsUnited said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@BassMan said:

Once you get the hang of the mechanics and notice enemy telegraphs they really don't.

Where did you read these skill boasts? YouTube? Regardless, these games were never purely about excessive difficulty.

Mostly from fanboys on this site and a few others who get very defensive when posters say they don't worship the series. I constantly hear the phrase "you don't have the skills to play" or "you don't like it because you suck at it" etc.

My problem with the series is the repetitive nature of the games, and the gameplay bores me after a while and I lose interest before finishing. I just don't have a lot of patience for games that require a lot of repetitiveness to advance. I have that problem with a lot of online multiplayer games too. After learning the maps and nuances of gameplay I get bored with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#89 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Memorizing seems about right.

But isn't that what it means technically ?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 KHAndAnime
@Pedro said:

@KHAndAnime

How does this change the fact that the blood echoes collected was a waste of my time? Also the game does not tell what to do or what the objective is so, the chances of doing it "wrong" is exceptionally high because their is no obvious direction.

If you die, there's going to be wasted time. It's not the game's fault you wasted time. Many people beat the first boss without dying once. I don't know why a game would need you give you objectives when the point is obviously to just explore places you haven't been and kill bosses you haven't killed until you kill the final boss - while listening to NPC's advice inbetween.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lulu_Lulu

@KHAndAnime:

I wonder what poor sap grinded for hours just to learn that....

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Lulu_Lulu

@acp_45:

Maybe..... but tell me this...... in school do you learn by trying everything yourself and failing your way through everything ?

Does a big test measure your understanding of a particular subject or your memory of it ?

If trial and error and memorizing stuff is so great then why does any good teacher avoid using this method ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@Lulu_Lulu: I think trial and error encompasses both memorising and understanding.

It's quite easy to see.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

You say "Bad", i say Good. I hate casual gaming and this is far from it. We dont need more games holding your hand.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lulu_Lulu

@acp_45:

You're wrong.

Erodar35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Erodar35
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I think that is a very good game, for the videos I've seen. Waiting to be launched on PC..

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulu_Lulu

@mep69:

Theres s big difference between no Hand Holding and A Serious Lack of Direction.

People should not be getting lost right in the first area of the game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Lulu_Lulu

@erodar35:

It will come to PC Right after Demon Souls does. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@Lulu_Lulu: nuh uh

you're wrong

Lulu_Lulu