Tell me about Dark Souls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CapnXtraObvious
CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 CapnXtraObvious
Member since 2012 • 506 Posts

I got Dragon's Dogma recently. It's fantastic. And it really made me want to get more games like it. Dark Souls was mentioned in some Dragon's Dogma reviews. It's the first thing I'm looking at. How is it compared to Dragon's Dogma(what are the differences, similarities, pros, cons...)? And could you also properly explain to me the online interactions, which I am also very interested in? Like from an everyday player's viewpoint, not from a reviewer's?

meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

Never played Dragons Dogma but Dark Souls is in my top 3 games this gen. Online - basically pvp (you can invade someone else's game and battle them to take their souls and humanity, or they can invade yours). and co op, you can summon another player to help you beat a boss, or leave a summon sign to help someone else and collect souls if you both beat the boss). great game buy it.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I still don't get the Dark Souls/ Dragon's Dogma comparisons. They're both set in a medieval fantasy environment in third person. That's really where the similarities end.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Never played Dragons Dogma but Dark Souls is in my top 3 games this gen. Online - basically pvp (you can invade someone else's game and battle them to take their souls and humanity, or they can invade yours). and co op, you can summon another player to help you beat a boss, or leave a summon sign to help someone else and collect souls if you both beat the boss). great game buy it.

meatgrinderz
Dark Souls is an RPG, Does the game match you with others plays whos characters are more or less on your level or is it completely random ?
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69530 Posts

I still don't get the Dark Souls/ Dragon's Dogma comparisons. They're both set in a medieval fantasy environment in third person. That's really where the similarities end.

IndianaPwns39

Dragon's Dogma is the Dark Souls game I wanted to play. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

I got Dragon's Dogma recently. It's fantastic. And it really made me want to get more games like it. Dark Souls was mentioned in some Dragon's Dogma reviews. It's the first thing I'm looking at. How is it compared to Dragon's Dogma(what are the differences, similarities, pros, cons...)? And could you also properly explain to me the online interactions, which I am also very interested in? Like from an everyday player's viewpoint, not from a reviewer's?

CapnXtraObvious

I tried to like Dark Souls and Demon Souls but it just wasn't working out. Many adore and love the game but, I found Dragon Dogma to be the better of the two games. You may play Dark Souls and love it or you may hate it. Dragon's Dogma is the Dark Souls game I wanted to play.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Pedro

Just curious, but do you say that because of the difficulty level or are there other factors?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

Just curious, but do you say that because of the difficulty level or are there other factors?

MentatAssassin

Difficulty? The Dark series more tedious than difficult. This tedium and cheap death tactics is not something I particularly favor. Dragon's Dogma (Dark Arisen expansion only) fell victim to another cheap tactic with its illogically difficult enemies and bad AI.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
Haven't played DD, but most of the time I've seen people prefer Dark Souls over it. I can give you the pros and cons of Dark Souls. Pros: -Beautiful world -Good soundtrack -Challenging, but not in a cheap way (Not as ridiculously hard as people make it out to be, though. Especially if you take your time understanding the game) -Excellent combat -Deep lore -Unique features such as messages and bloodstains Cons: -Laggy online multiplayer, invasions are no fun and full of glitchers, too many carebears trying to carry noobs through the game -Feels a bit rushed in some places -Weak story -Deaths CAN be cheap sometimes, compared to Demon's Souls that had very few cheap deaths. I can explain the online interactions to you. Basically, you can be in two modes, Hollow and Human. In hollow form, you cannot be invaded, nor can you summon others. You can still put your summon sign down to be summoned by others, and you can read messages/bloodstains. This is for people who don't want to deal with online. In human form, you can summon other players, get invaded, invade others, and be summoned. You need to give 1 Humanity at a bonfire to become human, and if you die, you will become hollow again.
CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

I really suck at Dark Souls, but I feel like if I was better at it, it would be more fun.

meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 meatgrinderz

[QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

Lulu_Lulu

Dark Souls is an RPG, Does the game match you with others plays whos characters are more or less on your level or is it completely random ?

No it's not random, they match you with people around your range, I think 10+ or - your level.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

meatgrinderz

No it's not random, they match you with people around your range, I think 10+ or - your level.

Wonderful News !
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meatgrinderz

I really suck at Dark Souls, but I feel like if I was better at it, it would be more fun.

CooperThief

Have you played around with different classes and upgraded them differently? My first try at the game was as a knight and I stupidly just distributed points around evenly and got owned. Second time was as a sorcerer, investing heavily in intelligence, vitality and attunement and I did  much better.

meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 meatgrinderz

[QUOTE="meatgrinderz"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Dark Souls is an RPG, Does the game match you with others plays whos characters are more or less on your level or is it completely random ?Lulu_Lulu

Wonderful News !

Yup it's pretty nice to have when a boss is just owning you over and over again. Another player helping out makes a big difference in taking down a baddie.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Pedro

So when you played Dark Souls you wanted to play something completely different? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Dragon dogma satisfies that nostgic need for a generic rpg. Dark Souls plays so smooth, I love how their bearly is any cutscenes or dialog and multiplayer blends into single player. The inventory is so simple without useless items to pick up. I like dying & trying again, reminds me of playing super Mario for snes. I like how the game can't be paused like dead space. The game is a metaphor of life it is that amazing Basically Dark Souls has zero filler and pact with greatness.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

dark souls is a rock hard game.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Dark Souls is one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know anything about DD, but get Dark Souls. It's amazing.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Also...it's not that hard at all. It's a gamer's game...fun to play, lots to learn. You just have to learn how to play well, so it has a high learning curve compared to most games, but its REALLY not as hard as people make it out to be.