(Tecmo) Conference: New Rygar, Tecmo bowl, Detective game and NGaiden

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

IGN

When Tecmo confirmed recently that it had a secret project in the works for the Nintendo Wii, rumors went wild about what cla-ssic game from the Tecmo archives this might be a part of. Hopes came true at the Tecmo Nite Out, as the company announced Project Rygar for the Wii.

Little is know about the game, but the motto of the title is: New Hero, New Enemies, Swing Action. The title has a new lead character and all-new gameplay based entirely around the Wiimote controller.

Based on the ****c NES/Arcade game (which also made a glorious stop on PS2), this game starts the franchise anew with new characters and settings. Kikuchi wants to make a game that people can easily get into through the Wiimote, and the Wiimote will be your main control device for Rygar's Diskarmor. He hopes to be able to show more of Rygar some time this year.

Look for more on Project Rygar as soon as we can provide updates.

Artwork and logo at the link above

So....er, is Rygar any good?

CONFERENCE

go

Truncated below, read the whole thing above I urge you.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3

6:37: Hayashi says "We just finished development recently."

As expected, the game will ship to Japan on 6/14. He also announces that in the US, the game will be released on 7/3.

6:40 Next, Kyotaro Nishimura Suspense for Nintendo DS, the Japanese mystery game that was announced at Tecmo's Spring press conference in March.

Comparing the game to Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, Tecmo is unveiling here this adventure game is based on the mystery novels of Japanese author Kyotaro Nishimura. The game's producer says they will ship the game to Japan this Autumn.

6:46: Next, Monster Farm DS (aka Monster Rancher DS to those outside of Japan.) the PS1 game was famous for creating creatures and stats based on what music CDs you placed in the disc player. In the DS game, titled Draw, Speak and Start! Monster Farm DS, you have multiple choices of how to create your critter. You can draw doodles of monsters, or speak into the DS's microphone, or even use a variety of GBA cartridges in the second DS slot to create your Monster Rancher creatures.

7:19: Mr. Kikuchi producer of Fatal Frame, Gallop Racer and Super Swing Ball and Pangya Golf. "Now, I'd like to try a new challenge this year." The trailer begins...

--Project Rygar
--New Hero
--New Enemies
--Swing Action
--For the Nintendo Wii

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gaminggeek

Next, Tecmo Bowl...

7:23: Mr. Inaga, Vice President of Tecmo Inc, takes the stage. Inada takes the stage and jokes that the title of the game wasn't supposed to have been revealed until the end. "Just pretend like you don't know that it says Tecmo Bowl here" (pointing to the logo on the screen) "Instead of telling you about it, we're going to show you a video that is very memorable."

no footage of the game itself ... just a logo. And no platform announcement, intentionally. "I can't tell you what platform we're making it for. But I can tell you that it's probably not going to be on the platform that you're expecting... if that makes any sense." This 2008 game will not be a port. It's a band new game for one of the new systems. But which one?!? "That's one thing I can tell you for sure. This is going to be a brand new game for one of the new systems ... We're confident that the new Tecmo Bowl is going to be the talk of the town in 2008."

Itagaki shows off his own creation, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword on DS. "As you all know, Team Ninja has had many games on many home consoles over its 10 year history, but this is the first time we're here with a portable title, and we're pleased to show it here today ... We sat down earlier and thought about how many new franchises we've done with the team, and this is the fourth one for us." He says that for Team Ninja, this is a completely new challenge. Itagaki jokes that there's an entirely new graphics board right there in the cartridge. (And we don't doubt it -- this game looks hot!)

Itagaki want people to note that this isn't an offshoot of the Ninja Gaiden series. It's going to play into the main series. It covers events that happens six months after the events of Sigma. "Enough about the story, let's get into the gameplay," Itagaki says. The game begins with a cinema scene showing, funnily enough, the bosses that finished off the "master ninja" earlier. Now, Itagaki is showing the game being played. He is playing the same area that he played at the Spring press conference. Easily the most technically impressive DS game so far.

Tecmo will establish a new development team, named "Team Tachyon." It will be established at the beginning of next month. He explains that tachyons move at the speed of light, and with a name like this, Tecmo intends for Team Tachyon to break that physical speed limit with the power of his team.

"As a new global development studio, we have established this team that will support the future of Tecmo." He also says they will continue to support ****c Tecmo franchises.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I want some info on Ninja Gaiden 2 already! :evil:

Anyway sounds like some cool stuff for the DS and even though I've already played through Ninja Gaiden and NG: Black multiple times I really, really want to take NG: Sigma for a spin.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I can see Rygar using the Wiimote, the PS2 title did some interesting stuff with the main weapon.

jedigemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jedigemini
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts
Controlling that extendable chain with blades on the end of it will be AWESOME with the Wiimote in Rygar. Cant wait.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Not interested in any of the Ninja Gaiden spinoffs or remakes, or anything else. Give me NG2 or bust!
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Eh, I've come to the realization that they'll unveil NG2 AFTER the release of Sigma so it isn't overlooked by its successor. Oh well, I'll just be patient then.

CanadianEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CanadianEh
Member since 2002 • 7173 Posts
Who knew that a new Tecmo Bowl would be a reality? Without an NFL license, will people even care? Hopefully they do and hopefully this game rocks.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I want some info on Ninja Gaiden 2 already! :evil:Archangel3371

Yeah, all this talk of Ninja Gaiden, but none of it about the one we really want to see.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Interesting stuff. I predict Tecmo Bowl will be on the Wii, seeing as bowling in Wii Sports was so well done. Dragon Sword is probably my next most anticipated DS title now, which is a given since i'm a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden and Team Ninja's work. Rygar's resurrection on the Wii also sounds intriguing. I wonder, will Sony fans yell God of War rip-off when it's revealed? I hope so, because I can't wait to show them a Rygar on PS2 link that dates from way before the first God of War was even released.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Interesting stuff. I predict Tecmo Bowl will be on the Wii, seeing as bowling in Wii Sports was so well done. Dragon Sword is probably my next most anticipated DS title now, which is a given since i'm a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden and Team Ninja's work. Rygar's resurrection on the Wii also sounds intriguing. I wonder, will Sony fans yell God of War rip-off when it's revealed? I hope so, because I can't wait to show them a Rygar on PS2 link that dates from way before the first God of War was even released.

-Spock-

Glad to see you're excited, but Tecmo Bowl is a football game.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Glad to see you're excited, but Tecmo Bowl is a football game.CarnageHeart

I should probably read into these things more before I post. ~.~

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gaminggeek

Not interested in any of the Ninja Gaiden spinoffs or remakes, or anything else. Give me NG2 or bust!GodModeEnabled

"Itagaki wants people to note that this isn't an offshoot of the Ninja Gaiden series. It's going to play into the main series. It covers events that happens six months after the events of Sigma. "Enough about the story, let's get into the gameplay," Itagaki says.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Not interested in any of the Ninja Gaiden spinoffs or remakes, or anything else. Give me NG2 or bust!gaminggeek

"Itagaki wants people to note that this isn't an offshoot of the Ninja Gaiden series. It's going to play into the main series. It covers events that happens six months after the events of Sigma. "Enough about the story, let's get into the gameplay," Itagaki says.

I don't think anyone really cares about Ninja Gaiden's storyline or whatever, and despite what Itagaki says, in the end, it's still just a DS game. For people that don't care about handhelds (like myself), it's irrelevant.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Not interested in any of the Ninja Gaiden spinoffs or remakes, or anything else. Give me NG2 or bust!UpInFlames

I don't think anyone really cares about Ninja Gaiden's storyline or whatever, and despite what Itagaki says, in the end, it's still just a DS game. For people that don't care about handhelds (like myself), it's irrelevant.

That's like ignoring Dragonquest 9 in my view.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UpInFlames

That's like ignoring Dragonquest 9 in my view.gaminggeek

I'll happily ignore Dragon Quest IX, too (regardless of platform). :wink:

I've pretty much ignored Grand Theft Auto Stories despite being a huge fan, I'm not even sure I'll check out the PS2 versions.

TenaciousD29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TenaciousD29
Member since 2006 • 666 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Not interested in any of the Ninja Gaiden spinoffs or remakes, or anything else. Give me NG2 or bust!gaminggeek

That's like ignoring Dragonquest 9 in my view.

JRPG =/= Action games since you can still tell stories on handhelds, especially text driven JRPGs, whereas with action games, stories are second thoughts.  It has still yet to be seen what gets sacrificed with DQ 9 to fit in on a 512 mb cartidge.  I can almost guarentee you there is going to be some of its fans that aren't going to like the changes.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gaminggeek

I've pretty much ignored Grand Theft Auto Stories despite being a huge fan, I'm not even sure I'll check out the PS2 versions.

UpInFlames

Those are ports of games I assume you've already played so you have a good excuse. From reading Itagakis past interviews on Dragon Sword he seems particularly proud of it, he views it as a main Ninja Gaiden game and even went on to say that it was fastest playing Ninja Gaiden game (including the unseen-but-in-production NG2) because the DS interface was perfect for the job at hand. So far the impressions from eyes-on previews are really quite positive and if it weren't for gamesvideos being the shambles of a website it is and 1up.com (technically that is) I would be viewing the footage right now!  

JRPG =/= Action games since you can still tell stories on handhelds, especially text driven JRPGs, whereas with action games, stories are second thoughts.  It has still yet to be seen what gets sacrificed with DQ 9 to fit in on a 512 mb cartidge.  I can almost guarentee you there is going to be some of its fans that aren't going to like the changes.

TenaciousD29

Oh absolutely, but that happens with other sequels regardless of platform changes, fans are fickle. On the other hand there are going to lots of people who are pleased with DQ9, even ones who aren't even familiar with the franchise. It also has the potential to streamline the interface and improve the game design with the DS unique features. Plus, if it were being made on PS3, the game would likely be down for a 2009 release date. With the way the DS is tearing the japanese charts a new [censored] you can definetely see the business reasoning behind the decision and with the same dedication it can still turn out to be a quality game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

I picked up a copy of Rygar on Playstation 2 some time last year, and didn't really like it very much. It was a very average adventure game. So I'm having a hard time getting excited about it coming to Wii.

I just hope they learned a few tricks from Persia, GOW, and similar games.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Ninja Gaiden DS looks almost as good as a PSP game! Amazing what Team Ninja did with this game!

I remember Itagaki saying that he chose the DS to challenge himself to make something we haven't seen before, probably pushing the DS boundaries to what haven't been done yet on the system...I think he did just that!

I'm a believer with this one.

I'm just glad it's nothing like that awful Tenchu DS game! :x

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Eh Ninja Gaiden isnt really about story GG, some guy steals teh dragon sword and now he is powerfull! He killed your village! GET HIM :evil: Meet ms big boobs, her insane sister, go some places kill the sword guy the end. Everything else is top notch... but storywise the game is no God Of War. Although being "new", and on the DS I may check it out.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

You know why I see Ninja Gaiden DS as being very significant to the DS and the Wii's future games?

What does Valkaryie Profile 2, God of War 2, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 4 (PS2 vers.), and Rogue Galaxy remind you of? It reminds me how awesome PS2 games started to look toward the latter years of the PS2 pushing the system's capabilities to its fullest. Games like Resident Evil 4 would've been seen impossible on the PS2, but as the developers new more about the limits of the system, they were able to do it AND add extra features.

Ninja Gaiden DS is already hailed as the best looking DS game so far. Gamespot and 1up both claim that this game knocked them off their socks, and 1up even claimed that it looks as good as a PSP game.

In other words, I can't wait to see how developers will push the graphical boundaries of the DS and the Wii in the upcoming years. It's pretty exciting to see. And to those who would refute my post and say crap like, "no matter what the developers do they'll never reach the graphical level of the PS3 or the 360," all I have to say is, "no duh," I know that. But it still doesn't take away the fact that games still can look great on the Wii and the DS.

And most of all, like how Ninja Gaiden is already showing, gameplay will always be the the most important foundation. Couple that with great graphics than you got a winner.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gaminggeek

Eh Ninja Gaiden isnt really about story GG, some guy steals teh dragon sword and now he is powerfull! He killed your village! GET HIM :evil: Meet ms big boobs, her insane sister, go some places kill the sword guy the end. Everything else is top notch... but storywise the game is no God Of War. Although being "new", and on the DS I may check it out.GodModeEnabled

You may want to put Dragon Sword on your priority list Gman.

Gamespot preview

"The action game is an original entry in the series that picks up after the events in the previous Ninja Gaiden. Although the title may seem like an insane idea considering that the game is essentially a portable sequel to the Xbox title, this little game has to be seen to be believed."

"The 3D visuals in the game, even in the work-in-progress version shown off, were already leaps and bounds above what we've seen on the DS before. The game moves surprisingly smoothly already and the level of detail (both real and faked via a smart array of art and graphical tricks) is fantastic."

"Based on what we've seen, we want to play this game ourselves, badly. Dragon Sword looks great, and the play mechanics seem like an incredibly smart marriage of the speed and action the series is known for. If the title delivers on the promise we've seen so far, it will be a must-have action title"

video preview

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaminggeek

Watching the Itagaki preview, it seems that IGNs live blog paraphrased the translators words. Itagaki said about Dragon Sword:

"We just wanted you all to note that this isn't an offshoot or anything, this is an actual title in the four Ninja Gaiden series and it's going to play into every other game in the franchise"

So this is  not just about linking the storyline as some have thought, this is being made as being a proper, legitimate, sequel in the Ninja Gaiden series.