Target says that u must be 18 to buy M rated games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts
or that is what that witch behind the cash register claimed. I was like, "No, it says 17 on the box, why whould i have to be 18 to play it?" She gave this bogus answer that it ment 18. Yeah, last time i buy games at Target. So is this true for all stores?
QuoBi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 QuoBi
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
I was working at target when they made that rule. As i recall it was a law that was passed in some states that require you to be eighteen to buy M rated games, and that target decided to do it with all their stores, but i worked in target over a year ago, so i may not be remembering it properly.
v1cious04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 v1cious04
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts
I'm 21 and my arms are heavily tattoo'd. One late night I went to a Target in shorts and a tshirt, to pick up a game (Gears of War). I ask the cashier if I could purchase the game, she get's it out walks to the register. Then she looks at me and says 'can i see your ID, you must be 18 to play this game'. I'm taken back so I reply 'It's actually 17+, and do I not appear over the age of 17'. Then she said something along the lines of company policy and unfortunately I didn't have my ID with me, because I rode my bike. Needless to say I was deeply irriated, because she wouldn't let me buy the game.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts
pisses me off im 17 and i want to buy my M rated games damnit!
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

It's misunderstandings like this that make the current ESRB system such a joke. M is 17+ and AO is 18+, and yet because of that one year difference many locations refuse to stock AO games and treat M rated games as 18+... seriously, ESRB needs to better define the differences between ratings, hell, they need to overhaul the entire system. It's just stupid as is.

I'm all for restricting the sales of adult games to youth, sorry kids, but the way some games are rated makes no sense. I don't see anything wrong with Teens playing Halo for example, it's violent, sure, but no moreso than television or movies for that age. Meawhile parents who've seen games like Halo and say 'hey, that ain't so bad' then presume all M are the same and kids end up with games like Manhunt or The Suffering, which are games that really deserve the M rating and that kids shouldn't be playing at all.

It's just a screwy system that needs to be better defined.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
i love being canadian :)
Avatar image for ThePhantomGamer
ThePhantomGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 ThePhantomGamer
Member since 2005 • 1816 Posts
You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
Thank youTarget for further complicating the ratings system.
Shu76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shu76
Member since 2006 • 913 Posts
get someone over 18 to buy it...think you people!!!
-Rail_Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Rail_Man-
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts
Age restriction is rediculous. ESRB is a joke, they only hurt the industry. We should get rid of them and, as a gaming community rate the games ourselves. You can be more mature than some 18 year olds when your 16, but not be allowed to play games aimed for mature audiences. Yet the immature 18 year old gets to play it, even though he acts like like a child. Thats only a little taste of how messed up the ESRB is.
-Rail_Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Rail_Man-
Member since 2007 • 1508 Posts

You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.ThePhantomGamer

No, it's

"You need to be 17 to buy M rated games. That's what 17+ means"

He was 17, He was allowed to buy the game. Don't belive me? Heres ESRB's official site.

http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

i love being canadian :) dante_123456

Same thing here in Australia - our highest game rating is M15+, and I rarely see stores even check the age of the kids purachasing the games.

trystkl1826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 trystkl1826
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
The age restrictions placed on games will not prevent a younger demographic, than specified,from buying them. The age restrictions are political. They have nothing to do with really restricting minors from playing them. Age restrictions are pacifiers for parents and voters. Parents are the ones that need to take control of the media purchases of their children. If I, as a parent, do not want my child playing a certain game because of it's content I would care less about the rating system. I think rating systems are replacing, what should be, the discernment of the parent.
fkholmes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 fkholmes
Member since 2006 • 8887 Posts
Target sucks.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePhantomGamer"]You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.-Rail_Man-

No, it's

He was 17, He was allowed to buy the game. Don't belive me? Heres ESRB's official site.

Generally speaking, the age of majority is 18, so I can't blame Target for its 18 and up policy even though its policy is a year tougher than that of the ESRB. I recognize that picking a number and applying it to everyone is arbitrary and in some cases unfair(there are 14 year olds more mature than some 18 year olds) but 18 and up is a good rule of thumb. The parents of mature minors can just go to the store and pick up the game for them.

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
It's either age restrictions or government intervention.
Warfighter3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Warfighter3000
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts

only geeks actually buy game lolFIghterFX

Only dumbasses go on videogame forums and tell people it's geeky to own a videogame.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts
The major retailers set up some pretty dumb policies, but their sales people (poorly trained teenagers in many cases) are unfortunately put in a position to make decisions that most of the time they're not qualified to make. Case in point: I'm 29 and get carded every single time I try to buy an M rated game at Best Buy. And I mean every time. I don't even look that young for my age (I'd put me around 25). EB Games? Never bothered there. Target? Never bothered there.
shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think the ESRB need more enforcing. It bothers me that a lot of people feel it is a joke. People have a lot more respect for the movie rating system, which raises the same issues. Yes, some teens are more mature than others, the ESRB does not prevent involved/informed parents from buying M rated games for their children that they feel are propriate, just like they are perfectly capable of buying or renting and R rated movie for their child. Stores make their rules so they can cover their own tails. If you smoke you get carded, why because they won't get caught selling to someone underage that looks younger.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
[QUOTE="-Rail_Man-"]

[QUOTE="ThePhantomGamer"]You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.CarnageHeart

No, it's

Generally speaking, the age of majority is 18, so I can't blame Target for its 18 and up policy even though its policy is a year tougher than that of the ESRB. I recognize that picking a number and applying it to everyone is arbitrary and in some cases unfair(there are 14 year olds more mature than some 18 year olds) but 18 and up is a good rule of thumb. The parents of mature minors can just go to the store and pick up the game for them.

You know Carnage, I could wrap my head around an 18 and up policy if they drop the "AO" rating and just had "M". As of right now, with retail stores also implementing their own age restrictions and the ESRB having theirs it just seems to me that setting a standard is all over the board and only causes more confusion. It all comes down to having too many people with their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="-Rail_Man-"]

[QUOTE="ThePhantomGamer"]You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.juradai

No, it's

You know Carnage, I could wrap my head around an 18 and up policy if they drop the "AO" rating and just had "M". As of right now, with retail stores also implementing their own age restrictions and the ESRB having theirs it just seems to me that setting a standard is all over the board and only causes more confusion. It all comes down to having too many people with their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak.

That's true. Abolishing the AO rating makes a lot of sense.

pyroguy305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 pyroguy305
Member since 2003 • 1568 Posts

You need to be 18 to buy M games. Thats what 17 and younger means.ThePhantomGamer

failure. It says must be 17 or older to buy M games.

pyroguy305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 pyroguy305
Member since 2003 • 1568 Posts
Are there even any AO games?? Except when GTA had that hot coffee mod.? anyone know?
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

[QUOTE="dante_123456"]i love being canadian :) Planeforger

Same thing here in Australia - our highest game rating is M15+, and I rarely see stores even check the age of the kids purachasing the games.

I wouldn't take the tradeoff of paying almost twice per game in Oz.