Sunset Overdrive Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#1 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

IGN 9/10

Sunset Overdrive is big, gorgeous, and a hell of a lot of fun. Never has getting from point A to point B in an open-world game provided so much enjoyment. It provides some of the most fun, frantic, and fantastic gaming I've had on the Xbox One. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to once-again adorn my wolf mask, leap off the highest ledge I can find, and fire an explosive stuffed animal at that group of angry robots.

GameSpot 8/10

Insomniac Games has crafted an excellent game in Sunset Overdrive. It's not without a few niggling issues, but you'll be too busy enjoying yourself to care. You can compare it to games like Crackdown, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, and Ratchet and Clank, but by combining the best elements of those games into a single package and injecting it with an anything goes, rock and roll attitude, you'll never think of it as anything but a singular achievement that stands tall on its own merits. It's one of the best games on the Xbox One, and a refreshing shot of merriment.

Joystiq 5/5

Sunset Overdrive sets out to create a world where the apocalypse is fun instead of depressing, and that means putting control in the player's hands. Developer Insomniac has given players a sandbox to play in, toys to play with, a treasure chest full of costumes and jokes that lampoon and acknowledge how absurd the whole thing is. Each of the game's systems feeds into another, making the experience feel complete and purposeful. More importantly, it gives players a plethora of choices in how they look, what weapon they use and how they play, and then makes every single possible combination feel vindicated. Nothing goes to waste in the awesome-pocalypse, and everyone's invited to Sunset City's after-party.

Congrats to you who have an Xbox One! This looks to be a great fall for you between Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and the Halo Master Chief Collection. I am excited as a Playstation fan because this is the first time I have actually thought about getting an Xbox One and because with Microsoft is doing well it will push Sony to do better with the Playstation brand which will make me a winner!

But I am also anxious to hear what you guys think when you get your hands on Sunset Overdrive it looks to be tons of fun with the grinding style of the infamous games with the crazy guns that insomniac is known to create.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I definitely want to try this game out. Looks over-the-top and insane, something I expect from Insomniac

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

i heard it is coming to pc also, if reqs wont be gtx 980 or whatever, would like to try this

BronxBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BronxBomber
Member since 2003 • 13398 Posts

looks like a winner for the Xbox.

TuuPumpChump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 TuuPumpChump
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

@humanistpotato: saw that too. But apparently the devs came out and denied that. But who knows. I'll be getting this soon. So many games to get in a couple months

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@humanistpotato said:

i heard it is coming to pc also, if reqs wont be gtx 980 or whatever, would like to try this

This^

I'm not the one who gets entertained by games like these. They get boring pretty fast for me. But I'd like to check it out anyway.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Great reviews. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now. So many great games coming out to buy.

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

Won't go out my way to check it out .

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Awesome... can't wait!

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Would rather play Sunset Riders.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

I really want to hear what gamers are saying before I buy this. I love Insomniac and I think what they do with Ratchet and Clank is brilliant. But their shooters, not counting Disruptor, are overwhelmingly average. Resistance was terrible and Fuse was actually kinda fun but a bit like chinese food...didn't really fill me up. This game really looks to me like a cross of JSRF and Dead Rising...but I kinda hate DR, so that's not a good thing. Bringing up Crackdown in the review helped even less...that game got boring in a couple minutes and it's exactly what concerns me about this one. Would like to be wrong on that, though.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

great reviews too bad i dont have xbox one for this game i hope purhase xbox one rearly next year insomniac are great developers

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Looks like a fun game

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I respect the good reviews but it looks to me like a horizontal Serious Sam or a gutted Saints Row game. Serious Sam:BFE is my least fave game. If I want some no-brainer zaniness I will pick up a Saints Row sequel or jump into some free Gotham City Impostors for the millionth time. Sounds like Sunset Overdrive is on console now anyway, and I am a card-carrying PC elitist.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

This game looks amazing, really makes me want an Xbox One...maybe with the price drop and trade in promotion I'll have to treat myself.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

I'm about about 5 hours in and just completed the fight with the giant Fizzie in the sky. Having a lot of fun so far. The fetch quests seem to be turning more into story based missions now and things are picking up. Haven't explored the world too much but it's fun wasting time here and there looking for the items to make upgrades with.

The humor while cheesy and vulgar doesn't take itself seriously so it comes off really well and the weopons are creative and fun.

I will have a hard time getting to the other games I'm currently playing as SO will take up a lot of time.