South Park: Stick of Truth reviews rolling in.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

It's actually averaging up pretty well so far.

Our very own Gamespot liked it enough to grant it a 7. They think it's funny and fun, but very shallow, "baby's first RPG".

Let's get super cereal, shall we? South Park: The Stick of Truth is the closest there is to an interactiveSouth Park film. It nails the animated television show's look, its humor, and its obsession with the human anus. If you come to The Stick of Truth for the South Park-ness of it all--for Cartman's aggressive profanity, for Butters' good intentions, for Randy Marsh's masturbation addiction--then you'll enjoy 10 or so hours of hysterical, offensive, gross buffoonery. Does the phrase "anal beads" make you giggle? Have you daydreamed of tossing poop at the people you hate? Then you know where you can shove The Stick of Truth: right into your console's disc drive.

Destructoid gave it an 8/10. They praised the care that went into the production of the game, noting it has a ton of side quests tacked it into it to give it more life but also noted occasional frame rate jitter and things just not "triggering" right.

If you don't watch South Park that often, you most likely won't enjoy The Stick of Truth as much as someone who does. The RPG elements are very serviceable but they're not going to satiate most of the hardcore genre fans out there. It's a good thing then that the rest of the package is filled with so much care from the show's creators, that it makes it something truly special.

Joystiq gave it 3 1/2 stars. Voicing similar light criticism of the shallowness of the game as an actual RPG, and praising the humor while noting, just as everyone else is doing, your enjoyment of the show determines your enjoyment of the game itself.

How you'll feel about South Park: The Stick of Truth comes down to how you prefer the peanut butter to chocolate ratio in this weird little flavor mash-up. To get the most out of it, you have to buy into its world; you have to play pretend. More than that, you're going to want to know the kids you're playing with. If you're well-versed in South Park history and can imagine cookies as a "health potion," you're off to a good start. If you can also forgive the repetitive nature of combat and some uninspired quests, it's worth taking up arms – or dildos – for The Stick of Truth's hilarious, disgusting adventure.

IGN kept up it's reputation as 9GN. That is to say, they gave it a 9.

The Stick of Truth makes one thing abundantly clear: I never want to play another South Park video game made without Trey Parker and Matt Stone's direct, intimate involvement. With a controller in your hand, you are almost literally – gloriously – playing a 14-hour episode of South Park. There’s much, much more here for series fans than the uninitiated, but it’s a light but good quality role-playing game in its own right. It is, in a way, Season 18 all by itself. It is funny, shocking, self-effacing, and pretty much everything I could ask for from a South Park game -- even if it’s mostly a one-and-done experience.

Sounds like it actually came together pretty well. Who's picking this up?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Meh, I never expected greatness from this very hyped title. I say that because I've heard people being excited for this game for years now. Personally I stopped watching the show a long time ago.

MylesB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MylesB93
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

Huge fan of the show (and I love RPG's) and the common opinion seems to be that if you enjoy the show, then you'll love the game. Definitely picking this up.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

steam sale

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

This game looks like exactly what I wanted from a South Park game. Capturing the show's spirit and sense of humor while delivering a fun game on top of that.

You can add a 5/5 stars from Giant Bomb to your list of reviews. They also did one of their Quick Looks if you want to see about an hour of gameplay.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Its SOUTH PARK!

I will definitely be getting this. THE COON!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Looks awesome, now i see why they delayed it

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

This game looks like exactly what I wanted from a South Park game. Capturing the show's spirit and sense of humor while delivering a fun game on top of that.

You can add a 5/5 stars from Giant Bomb to your list of reviews. They also did one of their Quick Looks if you want to see about an hour of gameplay.

That was really the first time I have seen the gameplay. Overall, I am fairly impressed with the presentation and gameplay. The RPG elements, including the combat, looks fun. It is probably not incredibly deep, but heck, it's fan service, right?

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

Yeah that'll be a steam sale pickup for a few quid if I pick it up at all. Being offensive just for the sake of being offensive rather than having a point like the show just makes it much, much harder to justify for me.

It's also not helping that apparently the PC port is crap (despite being the "best" version, with consoles having all kinds of slow down) and by all accounts the difficulty level is non-existent. Stop releasing unfinished games Obsidian.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I've pre-ordered it after reading some of these reviews.

I'm not the most loyal South Park fan (I watched the first few seasons, and a few episodes here and there), but every episode I've seen recently has been pretty great.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Not sure what people were expecting, it's a south park game lol, i mean if you don't like the show you ain't going to like the game, it's a game about south park lol, I think they did the RPG element as shallow as they could so that even the haters of RPGs could still like the game for what it is, the whole point is South Park wouldn't sell greatly if the RPG was massively indepth as much as it would if it's a smaller portion of an RPG. great work and i'll enjoy playing it, plus if this sells well then it looks like a new venture for south park, they have the codes all written up on the graphical sides, it's only a matter of using it in other ventures in the gaming world. great work.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I'm interested but it doesn't come off as a 60$ game.

10-13 hours for an RPG? I'll pay 30 for it which eventually it will be.

All in all I really want to play it but I can wait.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Sounds like I'll be renting it through GameFly or picking it up in the bargain bin a couple years from now. I like South Park, but I haven't seen any of the new seasons in a while.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, a 7 from Kevin i had called it at a 5-6 but still he didn't like it which is not surprising.

But it seems Giantbomb really liked it 5stars and even Polygon gave it a 8.5 which is almost a pure 10 in normal gaming critics.

So its a South Park 100% and if you love south park then you will almost certain love this.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I think I may be changing my mind more and more on this one and may be picking up Infamous Second Son instead. If a game is that short, then it may be better off as a rental. So I haven't decided yet fully...

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Neonakaa
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot about 9GN.com

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I definitely want to pick this one up. I like the show and love turn based RPGs. Almost wish I had pre ordered a while back :/

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the show, so I probably won't pick it up... Does look hilarious though.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i've been playing a little bit and i'm liking it so far. i've set the difficulty level to hard and, while it's certainly not difficult, it does pull the combat together. the setting is great though. i was a little worried that it would just be one long list of show references, but those have been mostly ambient details. it feels more like its own story than a salute to previous ones.

CoquiNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CoquiNegro
Member since 2013 • 171 Posts

84% at Metacritic. That's fantastic! I expected a 6 or 5.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I'm pretty happy to see it so well received! I've always been a fan of matt & trey's humor so I'm sure this one will entertain me nicely. I actually bought at copy at g2play with a decent discount but the assholes won't be giving me my steam key until friday since they're somewhere on the flipside of the planet.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@Jacanuk: Kevin didn't hate the game. He called it a simplistic but hilarious RPG.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#23 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Much better than I expected. I had a feeling this game would bomb, or end up somewhere in the average of 6-7 range. I was planning on playing this sometime regardless, but the scores are very encouraging.

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
MasterTankallex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MasterTankallex
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

I have my sealed copy right next to me. Still need to finish Thief and Lords of Shadow 2 before I give it a go.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I thought the game got its fair scores, I'm planning on picking this game up next week or maybe I should just wait for a Steam sale..

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

OK, so I decided to pick up SP: TSOT in the end and I've played a bit of it this morning. Here are some quick impressions.

-The game is accurately faithful to the show. It's a no-brainer that both Matt Stone and Trey Parker got involved with the game in its writing and acting, so it's a fantastic decision to make here. I haven't watched the show in a long time and already I'm discovering old and new references that crack me the hell up. It's that funny.

-The battle system reminds me of Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario, in which you have to block and attack at the right time. So far, I haven't died yet (my current companion is Butters, a Paladin) and the game isn't all that challenging. You'll learn the basics of combat in the beginning of the game, along with how some enemies function.

-There is a fast travel system to be found in the form of flags scattered around the map, so you won't have a hard time finding them. There's about twelve of them and I think I'm close to six. I'll have to check on that. Speaking of finding, there are tons of collectibles to find, from Chonpokomon to items littered in drawers and closets. Be sure to loot every home you can possibly find!