Sony's UMD-to-diigtal program expects you pay to play your old games on the Vita

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

User Lists: 0

#1 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Link.

The company is calling this service, at least in Japan, "UMD Passport." You download a program from the PlayStation Store, insert a UMD featured in Sony's list, register the game with PlayStation Network, pay a certain amount (it changes per game) to access a digital copy, and download away.

As mentioned, there is not a flat fee to purchase a digital version, and it appears that will be up to individual publishers to determine. Sony's press release says the prices will be "reasonable," and with one exception, the price mostly hovers between 500 yen (about $6.50) to 1,500 yen (about $20).

A comparable program has not been announced for anywhere outside of Japan, and it's unclear how Sony would prevent players from handing a single UMD around, but those details will come later.

Giant Bomb

Can't say I'm surprised. Monetizing the program like this was probably the only way they could get solid support from publishers. Asking to pay up to $20 for a digital copy of a game you already own is a bit much (no more than a few bucks a pop tops would have been the better pricing scheme), but, hey -- least they've got something in place for this. Better this than those games becoming completely defunct, eh?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Eventually Sony's gotta run out of middle fingers to wave at us
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

"It's probably too cheap…" – Ken Kutaragi, Regarding the $499 to $599 price point for the ps3

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Its like Sony wakes up everyday and thinks of new reasons to make me not want to buy their stuff. Someone give these boys a raise cause mission success!
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Its like Sony wakes up everyday and thinks of new reasons to make me not want to buy their stuff. Someone give these boys a raise cause mission success!GodModeEnabled

If you dont own a PSP and UMD games, this does not apply to you. So why does it matter?

Hell, even if you do own PSP games on UMD, you can always play them on your PSP. I really dont see how a service that is entirely optional and is there just because their customers wanted it is a bad thing. You can still play all your downloadable PSP titles on Vita for no fee. Sure the $20 fee is high, but $6.99 is pretty low as well. I dont see many publishers charging $20 fees for their PSP games that are now available for download for less than that.

I'm not buying a PSP anymore thanks to the memory card fiasco, but this is a GOOD thing Sony has done for its loyal PSP userbase. I really dont see what the problem is.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 JediXMan
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

THIS is what pisses me off. I already bought my PSP games. I shouldn't have to buy them again.

If I could just get my PSP games transferred over to Vita, I would get a Vita.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Sony was idiotic to announce a physical to digital conversion program. It failed with the PSP Go and no one has ever done and it and I doubt anyone will ever do it because its just not feasible (since one doesn't have to give up the physical copy, there's nothing stopping people from renting or borrowing games in order to permanently obtain digital copies).

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Its like Sony wakes up everyday and thinks of new reasons to make me not want to buy their stuff. Someone give these boys a raise cause mission success!S0lidSnake

If you dont own a PSP and UMD games, this does not apply to you. So why does it matter?

Hell, even if you do own PSP games on UMD, you can always play them on your PSP. I really dont see how a service that is entirely optional and is there just because their customers wanted it is a bad thing. You can still play all your downloadable PSP titles on Vita for no fee. Sure the $20 fee is high, but $6.99 is pretty low as well. I dont see many publishers charging $20 fees for their PSP games that are now available for download for less than that.

I'm not buying a PSP anymore thanks to the memory card fiasco, but this is a GOOD thing Sony has done for its loyal PSP userbase. I really dont see what the problem is.

:lol: Oh captain my captain. Not trying to insult you but I literally laughed out loud when I seen it was you arguing in favor of Sony charging us more money. Never change. :P Why should we be paying for something that should be free. Nintendo has backwards compatibility with their systems, so why does Sony get to run shenanigans and everyones like "oh well its ok... its Sony!" *insert boot into consumer ass here plz*
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 S0lidSnake

:lol: Oh captain my captain. Not trying to insult you but I literally laughed out loud when I seen it was you arguing in favor of Sony charging us more money. Never change. :P Why should we be paying for something that should be free. Nintendo has backwards compatibility with their systems, so why does Sony get to run shenanigans and everyones like "oh well its ok... its Sony!" *insert boot into consumer ass here plz*GodModeEnabled

Why are you buying a PSP 2 to play PSP games? I will never understand this mentality.I mean this is what the guy above you siad:

If I could just get my PSP games transferred over to Vita, I would get a Vita.

Does this make ANY sense to you? It's like me wanting to buy a PS3 not for Uncharted 3, MW3, KZ3, or Skyrim but for the Jak & Mother f***ing Daxter game I bought on my PS2 ten years ago.

Backwards compatibility IS indeed free on the PSP if you have the downloadable versions of the game. Vita doesnt have a UMD drive which means they cant emulate what Nintendo is doing. I suggest you propose a better solution because i would love to hear it. Sony made the original PSP very open and look how that panned out. Piracy ruined that platform.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] :lol: Oh captain my captain. Not trying to insult you but I literally laughed out loud when I seen it was you arguing in favor of Sony charging us more money. Never change. :P Why should we be paying for something that should be free. Nintendo has backwards compatibility with their systems, so why does Sony get to run shenanigans and everyones like "oh well its ok... its Sony!" *insert boot into consumer ass here plz*S0lidSnake

Why are you buying a PSP 2 to play PSP games? I will never understand this mentality. Backwards compatibility IS indeed free on the PSP if you have the downloadable versions of the game. Vita doesnt have a UMD drive which means they cant emulate what Nintendo is doing. I suggest you propose a better solution because i would love to hear it.

Free digital downloads of the umd games you own.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] :lol: Oh captain my captain. Not trying to insult you but I literally laughed out loud when I seen it was you arguing in favor of Sony charging us more money. Never change. :P Why should we be paying for something that should be free. Nintendo has backwards compatibility with their systems, so why does Sony get to run shenanigans and everyones like "oh well its ok... its Sony!" *insert boot into consumer ass here plz*GodModeEnabled

Why are you buying a PSP 2 to play PSP games? I will never understand this mentality. Backwards compatibility IS indeed free on the PSP if you have the downloadable versions of the game. Vita doesnt have a UMD drive which means they cant emulate what Nintendo is doing. I suggest you propose a better solution because i would love to hear it.

Free digital downloads of the umd games you own.

How?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodModeEnabled
Upload your game file into Sony cloud then redownload it onto your vitas memory stick. They would need some kind of program too I suppose either for each individual game or blanket to make them work properly and upscaled on the hardware.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Ain't no partay like a Sony partay!

Oh, and:

LOL

Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Wish they provide more technical explanation? I think this feature can easily be abused if it's free. I can give the UMD to my friends and let them download the games free for unlimited times. Maybe they know we'll sell the UMD after downloaded digital version for profit. Perhaps the famous excuse, "To prevent piracy".

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#16 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

(since one doesn't have to give up the physical copy, there's nothing stopping people from renting or borrowing games in order to permanently obtain digital copies).CarnageHeart

They'd still have to pay the extra fee to download the games, though, so its not like people can just obtain those games for free or anything. Game sharing isn't a viable means of subversion either given Sony's recent decision to only allow everyone to download whatever games they buy onto two systems maximum.

Upload your game file into Sony cloud then redownload it onto your vitas memory stick. They would need some kind of program too I suppose either for each individual game or blanket to make them work properly and upscaled on the hardware.GodModeEnabled

I think the better way they could have handled it was to just charge $5 or $10 bucks for the program itself and get whatever games you register from there for free. They could keep the monetization in place that way and we wouldn't be paying much for access. I mean, yeah, it'd be great if they made it entirely free, but I imagine they can't if they want to gain publisher support for this (it isn't mandatory to participate, you see).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Is there any redeeming quality about the Vita left?
MorningJuturna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MorningJuturna
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts
This is a slippery slope, and I think Sony is handling it pretty well. You make this service free, and the value of PSP games plummet forever due to renting and borrowing and then just keeping them forever. It will also most likely lead to a piracy issue (something that has plagued Sony's handheld for quite some time). You charge too much (like $20) and people will complain about Sony nickle and diming them. (For the record I believe $20 is way too much). But I think Sony is doing the right thing here, they aren't going against their word, and are providing a service they promised would be on the Vita. Now, for people who are complaining, how on Earth would you guys like it to be settled otherwise? It's not like you don't already have a PSP and the game to play it, you just want the convenience of having your older PSP games on your Vita. Shouldn't your Vita excite you enough with it's OWN games?
Is there any redeeming quality about the Vita left?foxhound_fox
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Almost as much outcry when the PS3 lost it's reverse compatibility with the slim models. Shouldn't you want to buy a new system to play the new games, primarily? Sure BC is a nice and convenient thing, but you should be excited about the new features that the system has to offer. And yes, I believe that there is a pretty solid lineup for the Vita, especially considering launch lineups for any system/handheld are pretty slow. If the general consumer basis has shown us anything, it's that people will buy convenience at pretty much any low cost.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake

Upload your game file into Sony cloud then redownload it onto your vitas memory stick. They would need some kind of program too I suppose either for each individual game or blanket to make them work properly and upscaled on the hardware.GodModeEnabled

How would they know that your game file isnt from a rental or a pirated version of the game? The PSP was pirated to hell and back, this would open up a door to every pirate out there.

MorningJuturna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MorningJuturna

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Upload your game file into Sony cloud then redownload it onto your vitas memory stick. They would need some kind of program too I suppose either for each individual game or blanket to make them work properly and upscaled on the hardware.S0lidSnake

How would they know that your game file isnt from a rental or a pirated version of the game? The PSP was pirated to hell and back, this would open up a door to every pirate out there.

What I'm thinking is the digits on your physical UMD can only be used once?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Upload your game file into Sony cloud then redownload it onto your vitas memory stick. They would need some kind of program too I suppose either for each individual game or blanket to make them work properly and upscaled on the hardware.MorningJuturna

What I'm thinking is the digits on your physical UMD can only be used once?

The SKU? No they arent serial numbers. The SKU numbers are the same on each copy of the game. There is no way for Sony to know that the game you claim is yours. Unless you personally go into Gamestop, trade in your UMD and get a PSN card for the price of the game on PSN, but Gamestop would want a piece of it and it will end up costing Sony more. Hence the fee.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 S0lidSnake

This is a slippery slope, and I think Sony is handling it pretty well. You make this service free, and the value of PSP games plummet forever due to renting and borrowing and then just keeping them forever. It will also most likely lead to a piracy issue (something that has plagued Sony's handheld for quite some time). You charge too much (like $20) and people will complain about Sony nickle and diming them. (For the record I believe $20 is way too much). But I think Sony is doing the right thing here, they aren't going against their word, and are providing a service they promised would be on the Vita. Now, for people who are complaining, how on Earth would you guys like it to be settled otherwise? It's not like you don't already have a PSP and the game to play it, you just want the convenience of having your older PSP games on your Vita. Shouldn't your Vita excite you enough with it's OWN games? [QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Is there any redeeming quality about the Vita left?MorningJuturna
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Almost as much outcry when the PS3 lost it's reverse compatibility with the slim models. Shouldn't you want to buy a new system to play the new games, primarily? Sure BC is a nice and convenient thing, but you should be excited about the new features that the system has to offer. And yes, I believe that there is a pretty solid lineup for the Vita, especially considering launch lineups for any system/handheld are pretty slow. If the general consumer basis has shown us anything, it's that people will buy convenience at pretty much any low cost.

For the record, this is NOT my alternate account.

But this guy could be my twin, in that case please add me as a friend.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. MorningJuturna
You didn't answer my question. How could games that refuse to function without a proprietary memory card, having to rebuy games one already owns and a price tag in the stratosphere be redeeming qualities? I probably have used my Wii as a Gamecube more than it as a Wii. Backwards compatibility is exceptionally important to a lot of people. Who in their right mind would find it convenient carrying around both PSP and Vita just so they can play their entire library of games? And how can you justify making people pay a second time just to access the material on a different platform?
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Then just play your UMDs on your PSP. Gosh!
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"](since one doesn't have to give up the physical copy, there's nothing stopping people from renting or borrowing games in order to permanently obtain digital copies).c_rake

They'd still have to pay the extra fee to download the games, though, so its not like people can just obtain those games for free or anything. Game sharing isn't a viable means of subversion either given Sony's recent decision to only allow everyone to download whatever games they buy onto two systems maximum.

I think the better way they could have handled it was to just charge $5 or $10 bucks for the program itself and get whatever games you register from there for free. They could keep the monetization in place that way and we wouldn't be paying much for access. I mean, yeah, it'd be great if they made it entirely free, but I imagine they can't if they want to gain publisher support for this (it isn't mandatory to participate, you see).

I agree that the way Sony handled this (a per game fee) is the only way they could have made a physical to digital transfers acceptable to (or ever attractive to) publishers but I don't blame disappointed people who laboured under the delusion that somehow a physical copy would magically translate into a digital copy because Sony encouraged that line of thinking with their initial vague announcement. They should have just laid out the plan it its entirety or better yet, not bothered.

Speaking as a guy who always trys to buy digital in the portable arena, I suspect the transfer program will disappoint even people who accept it because a lot of quality PSP games aren't availiable on PSN (Tekken: DR, Luminees and Kingdoms Hearts spring to mind).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="MorningJuturna"]This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. foxhound_fox
You didn't answer my question. How could games that refuse to function without a proprietary memory card, having to rebuy games one already owns and a price tag in the stratosphere be redeeming qualities? I probably have used my Wii as a Gamecube more than it as a Wii. Backwards compatibility is exceptionally important to a lot of people. Who in their right mind would find it convenient carrying around both PSP and Vita just so they can play their entire library of games? And how can you justify making people pay a second time just to access the material on a different platform?

The Vita's launch priceis the same as the PSP's. Given the power and features the hardware packs (dual analog FTW) $250 is quite reasonable. Of course, people buy systems for games, not hardware. With Gravity Rush, LBP, Escape Plan and Luminees Electric Symphony in the pipeline all hitting at or near launch the Vita's library is irresistable for me (good mix of original games and sequels).

Gravity Daze (working title) Image

Also, who in their right mind carries around their entire portable library at once? Most people can play a given game for hours and most people don't spend hours a day on the road.

Last but not least, if you think the Vita will be a disappointment like the Wii why not keep your money in your pocket and buy games (and the hardware they run on) that interest you?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

If I read this right what's affected is PSP UMDs.....in which case play the UMD on the PSP. Problem solved. If you want to play them on the Vita then you have to pay for the convenience. It's not necessary, however, to do so. I'm not getting the reason for complaints for something that is choice.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Well if it was free, then anybody can just rent a PSP game, convert it to Vita and keep it.

They did put in work to code this mechanism.

I think $5-$10 fee per game is reasonable.

I understand that people don't like to pay for anything but c'mon now, you gotta let a company make a little money.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

If I read this right what's affected is PSP UMDs.....in which case play the UMD on the PSP. Problem solved. If you want to play them on the Vita then you have to pay for the convenience. It's not necessary, however, to do so. I'm not getting the reason for complaints for something that is choice.

LJS9502_basic
Finally someone else who sees the sense in this. :P
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Wish they provide more technical explanation? I think this feature can easily be abused if it's free. I can give the UMD to my friends and let them download the games free for unlimited times. Maybe they know we'll sell the UMD after downloaded digital version for profit. Perhaps the famous excuse, "To prevent piracy".

Everiez
Most likely they are aware that once people have transferred over their games they will pass them on or simply sell them, and for that reason they are using the fee to re-coup losses.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't see what the problem is, I mean its just there as an OPTION. I'd say that's a lot better than having no PSP support at all.
MorningJuturna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MorningJuturna
[QUOTE="MorningJuturna"]This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. foxhound_fox

I did answer your question, I explained that you should be excited about the NEW things Vita has to offer. I'm not going to repeat myself, but if you want to keep choice quoting and ignoring most of what I said, so be it. Also, nobody I know CARRIES their ENTIRE portable video game library with them (be it DS, or PSP)