Should they reduce/eliminate turn-based JRPGs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Maybe it's time JRPGs move on and stop using turn-based battle.

What say you?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think that ship has sailed long ago. The most recent game I can remember with turn based combat is Lost Odyssey. It's a dying mechanic and not a moment too soon.
CipherMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CipherMage
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Turn-Based Combat as a mechanic is fine by itself; it is a perfectly logical way to handle combat scenarios in a role-playing format. What needs to change and be updated is how Turn-Based Combat is executed in games. Often, it is too slow or completely menu driven, but if that were to change, I think people could learn to like turn-based combat.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
No. Just because gamers like you and I don't enjoy JRPG's (although I like turn based stratergy games) there are people out there who will willingly pay full price for these games, a lot like people will pay full price for outdated gaming engine/style of battlefield or COD.
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

What say you?

GreekGameManiac
I say no.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

No. Turn base JRPG are still fun and can be a challenge. Even to this day I enjoy what new and innovation enemies I need to fight. I wish I could say that about WRPG, but their gameplay have been stagnated for many many years now.

Turn base game still good game play system. They offer the best control of the character.

I do not concider that FF's ATB system to be be turn base.

Lastly, I do not like racing and fighting games but I do not want them gone.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Because the market is being flooded with turn based JRPGs, right? :| This post would have been relevant in 2005 to 2007. Not so much right now. If anything part of the reason for the decline in JRPGs is that they have been making too many changes, not that they haven't made enough. When we started getting all these weird experimental combat systems is exactly when I noticed the quality was draining away and I wasn't getting any satisfaction anymore. Lost Odyssey got it's following because it bucked that trend rather than following it. Would love to see another game like that, though hopefully with a bigger budget and better artistic and technical work in the presentation. (graphics were poor even then, character designs were mostly garish, Queen Ming's massive boob veins were distracting, etc.)
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ernesto_basic
Member since 2002 • 2123 Posts

No, I really hate how this particular genre - the turn-based JRPG - has been marginalized during this generation. I miss the good old days of turn-based Final Fantasies, Suikodens and Breath of Fires. I personally don't like action-oriented RPGs, so I feel like I've been left out, as a consumer, this generation as far as RPGs are concerned.

As an aside, I'd like to point out that I've played the Final Fantasy 3 remake, on my Android tablet, more than any RPG on my consoles in the last few years. I would be more than happy to buy these traditional RPGs on my consoles, but they don't exist.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts
What? There's hardly any out there to speak of. Also I enjoy the turned-based mechanic in JRPG's so I could certainly live with seeing a few more myself.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

What say you?

GreekGameManiac
I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
isn't the JRPG already dead? these days you're lucky if you get four JRPGs a year
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i still like it.....im a bit thrown off with how they are handling it these days...but if i ever want to play turn based game....then i would just turn to my classic games for it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Just no.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
What? There's hardly any out there to speak of. Also I enjoy the turned-based mechanic in JRPG's so I could certainly live with seeing a few more myself.Archangel3371
This. To me, turn-based combat is part of the definition for what is a real JRPG. Games like Tales of XY I'd call action-RPGs, a sub-genre.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Turn based RPGs are something I enjoy. Would be sad if that battle style was no more. Playing through Paper Mario 2 right now and I love the battle system in the game.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.1PMrFister

I say he needs to stop making threads altogether.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i like turn based, its a nice combination of strategy and normal rpgs.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

What say you?

GreekGameManiac
No.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.c_rake

Now now, be nice to the boy, rakeman. What if we hurt his feelings and he never posts again?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Nah, there are still many things that can be done with turn based. Think Like Radiant Historia. They have their place in the gaming world. Although I loved the Xenoblade system.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts
No way I happen to enjoy turn based JRPG more than wrpg
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#23 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Now now, be nice to the boy, rakeman. What if we hurt his feelings and he never posts again?Black_Knight_00

Then nothing of value is lost.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, there are plenty of good games that use turn based combat. As long as there people who still enjoy the mechanic, it should stick around.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NOOO!

Real answer: Turn based combat is really fun, the reason I like it so much is because it requires a good deal of strategy to be good at. Maybe you should try playing JRPGs with good turn based battle systems, such as Grandia 3 or Persona 4. Unforunately there aren't too many good JRPGs this gen with turn based combat. Sometimes turn based combat is really boring when done wrong, but when done right, it can be more fun than real-time combat.

Try playing Grandia 3 to see what I'm talking about. It's got the best turn based battle system I've ever experienced. It's so intuitive!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Now now, be nice to the boy, rakeman. What if we hurt his feelings and he never posts again?c_rake

Then nothing of value is lost.

:lol: poor fella
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.Black_Knight_00

Now now, be nice to the boy, rakeman. What if we hurt his feelings and he never posts again?

we aren't that lucky

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#28 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

lol, how did you find any turn based battel systems this gen? I would like to know and play that game.

But no, turn based battle system is relaxing and fun. Dragon quest 8 was a amazing game despite being turn based.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Reptylus

lol, how did you find any turn based battel systems this gen? I would like to know and play that game.

ristactionjakso
Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru, Disgaea 4, Pokémon (does NDS count into this generation?), Final Fantasy 13/-2 (silence, it's closer to turn-based than real-time), Valkyria Chronicles and many more that don't come to mind right now. Yeah, mostly sequels but turn-based combat is still far from dead.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Reptylus

Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru, Disgaea 4, Pokémon (does NDS count into this generation?), Final Fantasy 13/-2 (silence, it's closer to turn-based than real-time), Valkyria Chronicles and many more that don't come to mind right now. Yeah, mostly sequels but turn-based combat is still far from dead.

Do they all have those little squares you move in like a rpg tactic game? If so then no. I think those are the most terrible kinds of battle systems. I didn't play ff 13 because its horrid, so dont wanna play 13-2.

I'm thinking like a Dragonquest or Golden Sun turn based system.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Reptylus

I would not say that Final Fantasy 13 or 13-2 are turn base.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm sure the profit or loss they get from selling the games will provide them with all the guidance they need on the subject.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Reptylus
Do they all have those little squares you move in like a rpg tactic game?ristactionjakso
Nope, only Disgaea does. The Atelier games have the good old your 3 guys standing in front of the opponents waiting to strike, just like Dragon Quest. The enemies are placed on a grid but that's only relevant for the area of effect. Valkyria Chronicles has a battle system similar to Hogs Of War or Worms 3D but more tactical - the active character moves in real-time while the others keep standing opening fire at sight.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
No. While I enjoy a lot of games that have real time combat, I still believe there is a depth you can achieve with a turn-based system that simply isn't easy to replicate in real time.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.Black_Knight_00

Real mature guys.

>_>

Grow up,all of you.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

gaming genres need to expand, not reduce.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"] I say you seriously need to work on making better OPs and offer your take on the matter.c_rake

This. Sorry but its true. His/Her threads are never relevant and he/she never offers their own opinion on the matter, just asks a question and leaves.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I'd actually like to see more turn-based RPGs. I quite enjoy them. For example, play Zeboyd's games.
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

In my opinion JRPGs in general took the wrong turn this gen, generally leaning towards a flashy & fast variation of the turn based system. In the end most of these games tend to feel like a awkward hybrid between turn based combat & active combat. JRPGs would be beter off if they added complexity and variation to the turn based system while keeping the relativly slow pace. So simply said, I prefer a tactical element in a JRPG instead of a action element.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ristactionjakso

In my opinion JRPGs in general took the wrong turn this gen, generally leaning towards a flashy & fast variation of the turn based system. In the end most of these games tend to feel like a awkward hybrid between turn based combat & active combat. JRPGs would be beter off if they added complexity and variation to the turn based system while keeping the relativly slow pace. So simply said, I prefer a tactical element in a JRPG instead of a action element.

rastotm

I agree they took the wrong turn. There just isn't a "normal" per say JRPG this gen.

They are either decent, but have terrible terrible characters (star ocean's Lymle) or really good, but have a sh!tty, tiresome, overused theme ("friendship" in tales of graces f)

IDK it just seems that there is always something dragging a would be great JRPG down in every JRPG this gen.

The only good JRPG's I have played this gen (tho not turn based) is Trinity Souls of Zill O'll and Nier. The rest had something untolerable about them.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#41 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

This question is like asking if chess or card games should be eliminated.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
No, they should make more of them.