Should I play Xenogears?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtroposXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AtroposXR
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I love Square's rpgs in general and have never played Xenogears for the PS1, so I am thinking about buying it. A lot of people seem to think it is one of the best jrpgs and that it has an awesome story, but I've also heard that it has pacing issues, bad voice acting, and too many cutscenes. If you've played it, would you say that the good things about it outweigh its flaws? And, most importantly, is it actually fun to play? I love a great story, but if the gameplay itself is boring, I'm not too interested in playing it. Also, is the world large and fun to explore, or is it mainly linear with few sidequests? What sets it apart from other jrpgs like the PS1 Final Fantasies? Thanks!
gaubanrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gaubanrei
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

xenogears is the best square game they ever made, there isn't any voice acting its an old game there are some vid's but not to many its all about the story, if your not hung up on graphics and just love a good rpg with a sifi/mecha story you'll love xenogears.

hall0559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 hall0559
Member since 2002 • 202 Posts
I love Square's rpgs in general and have never played Xenogears for the PS1, so I am thinking about buying it. A lot of people seem to think it is one of the best jrpgs and that it has an awesome story, but I've also heard that it has pacing issues, bad voice acting, and too many cutscenes. If you've played it, would you say that the good things about it outweigh its flaws? And, most importantly, is it actually fun to play? I love a great story, but if the gameplay itself is boring, I'm not too interested in playing it. Also, is the world large and fun to explore, or is it mainly linear with few sidequests? What sets it apart from other jrpgs like the PS1 Final Fantasies? Thanks!AtroposXR
It is actually fun to play, and still looks great in a retro way. However its an extremely long game that isn't always Go Go Go. It's like the MGS 4 of its day. Super long cut scenes and dialog sequences. That said... what separates it most from other FF games? The story is actually intellectual, unique and superbly written. Defiantly makes the list of games that everyone should play at least once through.
Avatar image for The_Last_Paladi
The_Last_Paladi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Last_Paladi
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

Yep, it is by far the Best PSX rpg in my opinion, not even Knocking Final Fantasy VII at all because I love it, but as far as storyline goes, this game is great and I haven't seen too many games come near it in this aspect.  The biggest complaints you will see will be about the pacing on disc two, there is a reason for that.  Squarsoft wanted to finish development at the time for Final Fantasy VIII and they took some of the funding for Xenogears to go ahead and do that (Which is another reason for me to not like FFVIII I think), so the game content on disc 2 was replaced with a lot of dialogue, and you'll be able to see the pace difference instantly.  STILL, even with that flaw, the game is fantastic.  This game also have one of the best soundtrack I have ever seen.

This game is my second favorite RPG of all time, with only Chronotrigger beating it for first (and I sometimes flipflop this as I tend to change my time with these two titles. )  DEFINITELY recommend the game.

AtroposXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AtroposXR
Thanks for the input, it sounds like this is a game I can't miss out on even if it has some flaws. And if you think it rivals Chrono Trigger, my favorite game ever, then I have to see what's so great about it!
KnoxTN1611

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KnoxTN1611
If you don't love it, I will shave my eyebrows and glue caterpillars above my eyes. That's how confident I am...
WilliamChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamChase
Xenogears is one of the best games i ever played, i will recommend you play it. _____________________________________________________ Mirrors Edge Problem | Assassin Creed Glitch | GTA Glitch