Should FPS like Doom and Wolfenstein use lock on mechanics like Metroid Prime?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15916 Posts

I booted up Metroid Prime Trilogy (Metroid Prime) just few hours ago and remembered the very intuitive "lock on" mechanic this game have. making the game super extremely easy and allows for exploration and puzzle to shine. Doom Eternal could use this mechanics again, just lock on target and slide and shoot with right trigger till demon dies. Very intuitive. more time should be allocated to Doom Eternal's new jump mechanics to reach hidden areas.

Enemies don't even do damage to Samus on normal difficulty, veteran mode is probably normal mode in other games. I really enjoyed the exploration in Metroid Prime as most enemy is just backdrop dressing you just kinda ignore them after a while. Destroy them if they are a bit aggressive and Doom Eternal should do that as well.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts

Not necessarily. I’m saying if they outright copy the mechanic, it would be a bad thing.

However if the mechanic is an all new mechanism, I just think that it may be doable. All it has to be is an original design.

But each game is special. And the lock on thing is what makes Metroid Prime something special.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

What, so you don't have to aim? No way. They are an FPS so aiming is a huge part of it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sakaiXx

@npiet1: why not. Metroid Prime got critical acclaim for it, Doom Eternal can implement it as well.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@sakaixx: goes against the entire concept of being a twitch shooter with doom, metroid prime wasnt that kind of shooter, it could get away with lock on

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

No. I'd rather play Metroid in third person with manual aiming and an aiming apparatus that doesn't suck. Prime is overrated. I don't want such clunky tank controls in a Metroid game.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 npiet1

@sakaixx: Because aiming is a huge part of it, there's a fine control between a headshot and a miss

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sakaiXx

@npiet1: Metroid Prime lock on so good you literally lock on parts that does most damage to enemy. all you need to do is strafe and shoot, probably a bit of jumping, isn't that great?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

No, I think you missed the point.

Metroid Prime is emulating the Super Metroid experience in a three dimensional space, so a lock-on works, they didn't want shooting aspect being part of its legacy high in large. Metroid Prime is less a first person shooter despite its perspective, and more a MetroidVania game. Retro Studios went for keeping Metroid to its roots while modernising the concept to a generation that was declining the older market.

D00M: Eternal is already going through identity issues so a lock-on wouldn't shock me, however for a core FPS, I don't think they should.

Auto lock-on is a clunky tack-on and makes limb targeting a nightmare, just look at slinger pods in MH:W, so much better when auto lock-on is removed entirely.

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

Honestly, I feel that the only reason lock-on was created for Metroid Prime was that the developers were unsure of how they would make an fps game work well with a GameCube controller. Controls would likely have been difficult to nail correctly and if they failed it would have turned a good number of players off the game. So they took the issue of being able to aim accurately out of the equation by adding a lock-on.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

No. It works in Metroid because that is an adventure game where the main focus is exploration.

Twitch shooting is the whole point of Doom. Lock on would detract from it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 npiet1

@sakaixx said:

@npiet1: Metroid Prime lock on so good you literally lock on parts that does most damage to enemy. all you need to do is strafe and shoot, probably a bit of jumping, isn't that great?

Not really, I wanna earn that shot, plus it will either make it easy or a bullet sponge. Enemy lock is good for hack n slash but that's really it imo.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

No, Doom is a different type of game than Prime

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

For those specific games: no not really (though many FPSs do have aim assists. some hide it better than others). they are high paced twitch shooters with a focus on accuracy.

The lock on mechanic needs to be developed in conjunction with enemy deign, attack patterns and level design. It's meant for a different kind of shooter where awareness of ones surroundings and positioning of yourself in relation to the enemy is far more important than accuracy (MP2 pushed this more as far as i remember).

to put it another way: add mouse and keyboard support to doom and it becomes a better game. the speed and accuracy the player can achieve while aiming is far higher. the game is about high pace and accuracy.

replace the lock on with mouse and keyboard support for metroid prime (without changing anything else) and it wouldn't really make much of a difference. looking around would be a bit nicer perhaps. taking out some passing cannon fodder would require even less thought. but it wouldn't have anywhere near as much of an impact.