Shenmue 1&2 petition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dashenmuefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dashenmuefan
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Hey guys,

I created a petition for the re-release of Shenmue 1&2 on Steam/PS Store by Sega. I think the newcomers should be able to play these beloved games before the 3rd and long awaited episode comes out.

http://www.petitions24.com/shenmue_12_steamps_store

Please feel free to sign and share!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

As much as I would like to see this happen and how much sense it makes, I've seen from history that petitions rarely work.

I've still got my Dreamcast and the two games for that anyway.

Blizzard2188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blizzard2188
Member since 2015 • 121 Posts

@dashenmuefan said:

Hey guys,

I created a petition for the re-release of Shenmue 1&2 on Steam/PS Store by Sega. I think the newcomers should be able to play these beloved games before the 3rd and long awaited episode comes out.

http://www.petitions24.com/shenmue_12_steamps_store

Please feel free to sign and share!

Id be up for that, I never had a dreamcast and am finding the first game is going anywhere between 70-120 bucks on ebay and the second one for xbox is anywhere from 40-90 bucks. I want to know what this series is about. I don't know if a petition is really going to do it though, I can only think of the Xenoblade one that actually worked. Maybe Sega's facebook page or other social media sites would be better, I believe all the people asking about the lack of Tales of games coming to US did it, because now we are getting every entry so far.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

You have a better chance of funding Shenmue III over $5M and getting them added as a stretch goal.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@DarkCatalyst said:

You have a better chance of funding Shenmue III over $5M and getting them added as a stretch goal.

From what i've heard Sega has the legal rights to Shenmue 1-2 so that will most likely never happen but Sega might see a golden opportunity here and make HD remakes of Shenmue 1 and 2 in the coming times before the release of Shenmue 3.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst

@ojmstr said:
@DarkCatalyst said:

From what i've heard Sega has the legal rights to Shenmue 1-2 so that will most likely never happen but Sega might see a golden opportunity here and make HD remakes of Shenmue 1 and 2 in the coming times before the release of Shenmue 3.

You do know that Sega forked over the license to Yu Suzuki without any questions or conditions, right? This should not be an issue.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ojmstr

@DarkCatalyst said:
@ojmstr said:
@DarkCatalyst said:

You do know that Sega forked over the license to Yu Suzuki without any questions or conditions, right? This should not be an issue.

Interesting, do you have a link? would really like to read about it as a long time Yu Suzuki fan, i just had the impression that Sega still owns the license after reading a newly released interview with Suhei Yoshida.

Here is what he said about the Shenmue kickstarter

" Ah, no, no, no. It's a very exciting project and there are lots of PlayStation fans asking for it. But it's a Sega IP and of course Suzuki Yu-san is the creator. So somehow Suzuki-san was able to work out with Sega to allow them to Kickstart the project. And because we liked the project, our third-party relations team struck a deal to help Kickstart the campaign at the E3 conference. That's great PR

Source > http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/an-intimate-chat-with-sony-playstation-shuhei-yoshida/

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkCatalyst

@ojmstr: No, I mean the process was this simple.

YS: I want to make Shenmue III now that I have a way to make it happen.
Sega: Okay, cool.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I would like for the games to come to the PC. Sega has already put several Dreamcast games on the PC. I've never played them, and I doubt I'll pick up Shenmue 3 without playing the first 2.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ojmstr

@DarkCatalyst: Oh, ok, did you see this on twitter or something? Or in an interview with Yu Suzuki maybe?

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkCatalyst

@ojmstr: It was in the mess of articles surrounding Shenmue III immediately following its announcement. I'll see if I can track it down again a bit later.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ojmstr

@DarkCatalyst: No worries man, we will most likely get alot of info on this in the coming years so no stress if you can't find it, hoping for HD remakes of both games, that would be awesome, my Dreamcast is broken so i can't play them any longer and that really really sucks.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst

@ojmstr: Here you go.

http://kotaku.com/getting-the-rights-to-shenmue-was-easier-than-you-d-thi-1712037863

So they're definitely with the program.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ojmstr

@DarkCatalyst: I still think Sega has some sort of legal rights to the series though judging by that interview but this is good news! And your probably right about what you said earlyer about kickstarter strechgoals, that also might happen,if not Sega is definitely with the program and they might see good oppurtunitys here. Win-win situation for all parts including PS4 users hopefully, if not im gonna get Shenmue 1-2 HD remakes for PC if that happens. Got my hopes up. Thanks for link btw, lots of interesting stuff there for us Shenmue fans:)

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst

@ojmstr: Yeah, I wasn't really trying to say that Yu Suzuki is the sole owner of the Shenmue brand (although Sega has been on a wave of handing their IPs over to their creators lately, as seen with Condemned and Toejam & Earl), just that Sega is so on board that they'll pretty much let him do whatever it is he wants to do.

Hell, at this point they might re-release the first two games of their own accord.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ojmstr

@DarkCatalyst: Yeah i hear ya man, i havn't really payed to much attention to Sega over the last decade probably, don't know what their been up to, their doing probably alot of arcade stuff in Asia and idk,they still make sonic don't they? Lol i actually have a sonic game on the smart phone im writing on right now. I kinda feel bad for Sega, they had so much potential back in the days and blew it. The Dreamcast is one of the best consoles i have ever had, to bad it's broken as i mentioned, got a shit load of games for it as well including the original japanese versions of Shennue 1 and 2 with english subtitles.

Avatar image for deactivated-618d021452026
deactivated-618d021452026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By deactivated-618d021452026
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

I do hope that whether you're a PC or PS4 gamer & a fan of this series (Well, actually anyone!), that you've been to the Kickstarter page & joined in the battle to make Shenmue 3 as good as it can possibly be.

Yu recently said on Reddit that upto $5m will being in something he really wants in the game, while $10 will truly have the features of an open world.

If you haven't already, come join this opportunity to bring a stunning S3.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

For the Xbox version of Shenmue 2, they included a disc with a video showing the story of 1. So I suspect with the release of 3, they would do something similar as an intro to catch the player up. But then again, emulating the originals would be a very cheap way to go if they can't do it otherwise. I have played them both on DC emulators before and work well.

JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

@Telekill said:

As much as I would like to see this happen and how much sense it makes, I've seen from history that petitions rarely work.

I've still got my Dreamcast and the two games for that anyway.

Ha, for it is petitions and the fans outcry, loyalty and determination that is making Shenmue III happen!
I will sign this and share! After all, how about a game of Lucky Hit?