serial killer game premise?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lakreda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Lakreda
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
let me start off by apologizing if this question has already been posted, but i did a search and didn't see any topics or threads that fit my own topic.

would you as gamers and consumers, consider a game that puts you in the role of a serial killer to be "too offensive". do you think a production company or studio would sign on and make the aforementioned game? now I'm not talking about a game like "Manhunt" or "Hitman" in which you are a "rampage" or "contract" killer. i literally mean you're a serial killer in you're own selected area of the country. the area in which you choose your victims, establish a base of operations, dispose of bodies, clean crime scenes to destroy evidence, and watch the publics reaction. there's countless games out there in which you hunt down serial killers, terrorists, and other assorted psychopaths, but none as far as i know that actually put you in the drivers seat of the killer. would this be "too far" or "too controversial"? assuming this game could be made with a very large M rating, would a company still take the chance and fight the inevitable outcries of disgust from the mainstream media? would you play this game or would it be even "too far" for gamers? i asked my friends about this the other night and they were leaning towards the responses of "come on that's crazy" and "what the hell", so i thought i'd ask the gamespot community. thank you.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
It depends on how the game is done. If it is as graphic as something like Manhunt, it'd be pretty hard to find a publisher for your game. You'd have to convince people that you weren't making a game to teach people to kill. In agame like this every detail onhow each murder is done is important. In the end, no matter what you do the game will have some controversy around it. If the game is fun I wouldn't have a problem buying the game. Playing as a serieal killer is as you mentioned something that hasn't been done before and could potentially be a succes.
Ry_Gelowitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ry_Gelowitz
I honestly think with the current news that GTA gets about how "controversial" it is, a game that you describe wouldn't even be created right now. I think in a few years when the community finally realizes it's "Just a Game", then maybe we'd have a chance to see this in production. It's definitely a good idea, and if it was made properly (i.e. using some real FBI, Murder Investigation sort of people) it could potentially be a huge success. It would just depend on the amount of news that's been circulating about "bad game types". Also, I believe it would have to be a credible company that's willing to go through all the BS that they'll see when this type of game is released. Because I can guarantee you, there will be lawsuits, angry picket-lines, and pissed off parents if your Serial Killer game was release :) Probably within the first day it was announced, lol.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
You could do this successfully in today's marketplace if you obfuscated the fact that the serial killer portion of the game was the real hook. If the game were to jump back and forth between the POV of the serial killer and say a detective on his/her tail (kind of like Indigo Prophecy), it would go a long way towards making the game more palatable and less of a target of protest. (especially if the serial killer loses in the end) You would have to be really subtle and convincingif you were going to try to get the audience to sympathize with the killer.Serial killers typicallydon't have very relatable motives. But if this were some long drawn out story of revenge or something, ala Count of Monte Cristo, I could see it working.
Lakreda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lakreda
yea throwing in a Fable good/evil mode would make the game get over a whole lot easier.one mode you're the killer eludeing the AI detectives/FBI, in the other mode you're the investigators trying to solve the crimes and catch the killer. with smart AI nowadays it wouldn't be impossible at all to be able to have completely random plots and scenarios from each POV either.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#6 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

If i got to customize my character, choose the murder weapon, the type of people i kill and the way i kill them (and some other parts of a charactersMO...)

I think i might have fun if the gameplay elements were good.

i'm thinking something like The Sims mixed with Manhunt and GTA. where you control your character during normal hours at a job, and then go out on part time and kill some people... you can juggle a family, a job, evade cops... bury blonde co eds in your basement....

Ernice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Ernice
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts

hey man, thats the exact same thing i was thinking. i would like a game like that too.

like, killing people in any area or city you want, heck, i even thought that the game should include that there is a chance that the police dont even discover the body, like if you kill a homeless guy, no one would really know he was missing. and you can even leave your own personalised calling card so to speak. just marking my territory. haha

but i never thought of the good and bad choice you just said. thats interesting. good point, that would be nice to have. two sides of the game. but i really just wanna play the bad part, i just love being evil. haha

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

If i got to customize my character, choose the murder weapon, the type of people i kill and the way i kill them (and some other parts of a charactersMO...)

i'm thinking something like The Sims mixed with Manhunt and GTA. where you control your character during normal hours at a job, and then go out on part time and kill some people... you can juggle a family, a job, evade cops... bury blonde co eds in your basement....

smerlus
Awesome, id buy it. We need more games like this to evolve the industry.
Lakreda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lakreda

smerlus

pretty much exactly what i was thinking. this whole idea for a game like this has been in my head for a while now but just recently i really been thinking about it a lot more (prolly since the Manhunt AO news). i'm a literarture major/journalism minor in school and i been working on a book based on all the info for this game pretty much. college aged killer, works part time, likes to stalk local night clubs, big metropolis area, and is coming into his own as a serial killer. lol thats a phrase i never thought i'd use. there's a lot more to the book than just that, but you get the gist. and yea, some bodies could be discovered by the cops and some might not, just depends how good you hide the body or how hard you try to. i dunno, i think it would be a really fun game in a really sadistic way. and it's got that infinite re-playable factor because you could do something 100% different everytime through the game, as a cop or the killer. prolly just a thought for now as far as there being a game is concerned.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
The Devils Rejects and any true story weren't too offensive.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I like the idea. About the good and bad thing, maybe you could choose at the beginning of the game.
AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

This thread actually HAS been made before, just so long ago that it wouldn't be in the archives anymore. Actually, it's been made multiple times, which seriously concerns me. The idea, to me seems...somewhat...morally bankrupt? The same feeling I get from Grand Theft Auto, honestly. But the fact that more and more people are in favor of it kind of creeps me out.

I've started to get creeped out from a lot of gamers over the years, with games being acclaimed because of how gory they are, how evil they allow you to be, etc. I've heard people say that it's just a game, and I agree with that mentality. But...when you actual start LOOKING for brutality in a game...that strikes me as decidedly unhealthy. I wonder if games are doing more than just desensitizing us to violence...

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
I think it would be really cool to have a game where you play both sides. ie: indigo prophecy. Where you play the killer and the police in pursuit. I think a game like that, where you also play the good guys, could be made in todays market.
carolinaspade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 carolinaspade
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
dude I just thought of this Idea after watching a scary movie. exactly what you said about manhunt and hitman. It would be cool to create your own serial killer and go through different scenarios, such as, you start off at smaller houses and work your way up to bigger ones. you can plan the act out completely, set up boobie traps, sabotoge the environment, study your victims every move before you go in for the kill. Then when you beat the story mode, which hopefully would be a long one, you get to unlock a create a level where you pick your weapons, how many people there are, and where the act will take place. It would definitly be a controversial game, but so is GTA IV, Manhunt, and many others. I would definitly buy this game, I was hoping I was the first to come out with this idea. If there is a demo that anyone has made or more that they want to add send me an email, because I would love to get this idea out there to the gaming companies some how and some way. email me at spadeandkortne@hotmail.com
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
They need to release a videogame based off Saw and let you play Jigsaw and make your own traps and stuff. But I probabily wouldn't want to play a game as a straightup serial killer. Now games like GTA where you can go on a killing spree and stuff are ok with me, because I have the option not to kill people if I don't want to. But I played the Manhunt games and they were ok, but not my type of game. Need more Vigilante type games, because it's ok to kill bad people but not to kill innoucent people. IMHO!!!!
Heathcliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#16 Heathcliff
Member since 2003 • 8843 Posts
I would love to see a Friday the 13th video game where you play as Jason for most of the game, stalking and creatively killing teens until the final act where you would assume control of the obligatory survivor trying to escape Jason. Since the franchise is getting a reboot at the movies, maybe it's time for a new game as well.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I think it would difficult to sell a game like this, although I wouldn't exactly be opposed to it. Still, it would get the wrong impression from the press, even though they are plenty of other mediums in which a criminal is the main character (A Clockwork Orange, American Psycho). It would somehow have to be tasteful or have some sort of commentary.
IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
clocktower 3 revolved around various serial killers. In fact remembering the guy who drowned his screaming victims alive in vats of acid still creeps me out. I really cant see a game that put you in the place of a serial killer though, it would be banned like...everywhere.
homonculus_joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 homonculus_joe
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts
A serial Killer game would be the best game ever
StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#20 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

If it was a game like Dexter, then I could see it working.

diaryofapanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 diaryofapanda
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I like the idea and lets be honest, sometimes we take a game like SIMS or something similar and create our own serial killer game. For a while I was killing the neighbors in Sims. I would coax them into a shed in the backyard and remove the door...lol. Eventually they would starve and die. You can kind of go on a killing spree in Grand Theft Auto games and Red Dead Revolver but then it gets you thinking exactly what you have thought. It would be cool if this was the premise of the game and there was a lot more options. Like maybe you kill hookers, maybe you have a family, maybe you just open fire on people or you have to plan where to abduct someone. Does the game get creepy like some of the movies out where the killer tortures the victims. I think this is where it would get a lot of bad press. If your prowling around, maybe breaking into someones home at night and mass murdering the whole family or torturing then maybe we went to far. I don't know though, the movies are out there. Going to the shop to buy new stuff to torture people would be weird...lol
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Please don't bump old threads.