Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

http://genesismini.sega.com/

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/03/29/sega-releasing-the-genesis-mini-worldwide-this-september

Update 3/30: Sega has announced some of the 40 games that will be included in the system. More games will be announced "over the coming months."

• Altered Beast
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Comix Zone
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Shining Force
  • Space Harrier 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • ToeJam & Earl

The company also announced a few other details about the system. It's based on the original Model 1 Genesis (which is generally viewed as having better audio than later revisions), comes with all 40 games, two USB Genesis controllers, as well as power and HDMI cables.

The ports of the games on the Genesis Mini are being done by M2, who previously worked with Sega on the Sega Aces and Sega 3D Classics Collection.

The Genesis Mini will retail for $79.99 when it releases on September 19.

edomingox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 edomingox
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

I'm sure you can get emulators for all that for much cheaper. This is a step in the wrong direction.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

CastleVania: Bloodlines is the only redeemable reason to purchase this product, so really it's a wait and see what the CastleVania collections last four games are. And if Konami (or whoever cared to make the collections a possibility) has sorted out the licencing issues with that title I see little reason why they wouldn't.

SEGA has released almost every major 16-gen game on everything, to the point it hurts. Outside Sonic 3 and Knuckles, which apparently is messy business for some reason.

Overall some mediocre picks, Ecco the Dolphin for example is garbage.

Better off with the SEGA collections already on offer on every platform. I have the one with tons of 8 bit games. Doubt this will offer the same value.

*Release Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder you cowards!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@RSM-HQ: I love Ecco! Great visuals and tough as nails.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RSM-HQ

@xantufrog: Never understood the appeal myself, didn't think it even had a sizeable fan following to be honest.

Seems any place I looked most agreed it controlled bad and is an odd concept.

It does look nice visually, will give it that much.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Which collection has a ton of 8 bit games on it?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RSM-HQ

@vfighter: The one on 360 and PS3 called the ultimate collection. Contained games like Fantasy Zone, Zaxxon and Tippu Tappu. Assume the 360 version can work on the XB1 but cannot confirm, have it on PS3 myself.

I never got the later gen version because it came across as a downgrade despite having more Genesis games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Don't think the 360 version is BC the newer PS4/Xbox one version has a few new titles like landstalker which is nice. The mini is worth getting for bloodlines gunstar heroes and toe jam and earl. I like the idea of M2 now doing the emulation.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RSM-HQ

@robert_sparkes: I've read the PS4/X1 collections suffer technical issues the developer never fixed for a lot of the games, many of the games hard crash if played in coop. The 360/PS3 collection is smooth never having issues. Sucks the X1 doesn't work the collection, I wonder if SEGA stopped it happening.

Also ToeJam & Earl is in my PS3 collection, it's how I became familiar with the series, believe it was also released solo on multiple online stores as well, such as Steam, XBLive, and PSN. The new one is very fun, just a shout-out to Back in the Groove.

Bloodlines will only be worth it personally if not available in the CastleVania collection set for Spring. Because if it's in the collection of eight? that will be a better investment for anyone hungry for CastleVania.

Then again these pocket consoles was never targetting me so I dunno. Some may want this product more for convenience and the 80's call back of old.