SEGA licenses new console. Rips off the Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Sega licensed a new console, no it's not the Dreamcast 2 as many hoped... it's a Wii rip off. It will be called SEGA Zone and it's not an 'actual' console either, basically it will contain a collection of old SEGA games from the 90s. It doesn't look like the Wii at all now does it? Actualy it looks like one of those cheap Taiwan Vii ripoffs or one of those Pop-Station things. Ok, let's come clean: it used to be just a Wii ripoff called Zone 40, but is now officially endorsed by SEGA.

I'm afraid this is not a joke, it's real.

Your thoughts?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

isn't that like some cheap crap from china

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Yeah, what the heck? This looks pretty terrible, exactly like those Wii knock off systems you can find at Wal-Mart for $40, but now it has the Sega logo and games on it. That's... better? To be honest, I'm somewhat relieved that there's no new system, since there's no way I'd be able to afford another one at the moment.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Is Sega on crack? :?

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Ugh. SEGA... You have been doing so great by not getting back into creating consoles. Why must you do this?

The_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_89
Member since 2009 • 594 Posts

So... basically the Sega Ultimate Collection, but instead of on disc, it's on a whole new, cheap, console? Meh

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tommy_boy9999
Member since 2009 • 67 Posts

Sega is only endorsing the product

they are not making it.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Why couldn't they just realease all of their games in a compilation instead? Sigh.
tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tommy_boy9999

It sounds like a glorified Plug n play game.

Dont get all worked up and start bashing Sega for no reason.

Namco and all the others do Plug n play games and So can Sega.

Its a business and they are trying to make money. If you dont like it dont buy it. Very simple

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]

Its a business and they are trying to make money. If you dont like it dont buy it. Very simple

It basically amounts to a Plug-N-Play, but it appears to be a trick to fool people into buying what looks like an actual console, not just a PNP. There's nothing wrong with the PNP, but Sega seems like they're trying to trick consumers.
rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

sounds pretty cool.. new sega with a bunch of old games.. ill grab it if its under a hundred bucks

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
"Sega has given its licensing blessing..." - so where exactly does it say Sega are announcing a new console? :roll:
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
that is one fugly console.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

That was a pretty superfluous topic and description, TC.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

that is one fugly console.Allicrombie

It looks like one of those cheap Wal-Mart ones.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! Sega is supposed to be better than Nintendo. Don't break my heart again. :P
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Why couldn't they just realease all of their games in a compilation instead? Sigh.muthsera666
I'm still pissed that SUGC doesn't have the first Shinobi for Genesis, Gunstar Heroes and S3 & Knuckles (no lock on in SUGC)
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Black_Knight_00
"Sega has given its licensing blessing..." - so where exactly does it say Sega are announcing a new console? :roll:CellAnimation
SEGA is endorsing an existing and infamous Nintendo Wii ripoff. Does that sound any better to you?
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

lol the thread title almost gave me a heart attack. It's not a new console if it already exist, right? :P

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tommy_boy9999
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]

It basically amounts to a Plug-N-Play, but it appears to be a trick to fool people into buying what looks like an actual console, not just a PNP. There's nothing wrong with the PNP, but Sega seems like they're trying to trick consumers.

I dont think Sega is trying to trick anyone. They are just Endorsing the product. Basically this is just a new type of plug and play. Instead of the Wires we have wireless. If it seems like a Wii look alike so be it if it helps it sell more. I wish more people played the older games. Here is a better link so you can see screen shots. IM going to buy one. Looks cool. http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31177/new-sega-console-hitting-summer
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Black_Knight_00
I dont think Sega is trying to trick anyone. They are just Endorsing the product.tommy_boy9999
SEGA is endorsing a product originally designed to trick people into thinking it's a Wii. Shouldn't gaming companies work against the diffusion of these barely legal knockoffs?
Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Theguy56
Member since 2003 • 1379 Posts
[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]I dont think Sega is trying to trick anyone. They are just Endorsing the product.Black_Knight_00
SEGA is endorsing a product originally designed to trick people into thinking it's a Wii. Shouldn't gaming companies work against the diffusion of these barely legal knockoffs?

Believe it or not, Sega isn't in a very good financial situation right now. No matter how much people want to hate SEGA, these games need to be remembered.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I really don't see a problem with this. I might be in the minority here but I definitely understand that this device isn't for my demographic. This device is more for those with children or nieces and nephews. I think it would be a great birthday or xmas gift for a child that is between the ages of 5 - 8, especially if you are an aunt or uncle and don't exactly know what to get your extended family.

Priced at around £50, it seems pretty reasonable compared to having to drop a couple of hundred or so dollars on current gen consoles and even more to buy games. As for the Wii likeness, I think they are just going with a style that the larger casual market would recognize.

sega zone

There seems to be two color schemes one being white and dark blue and the other being green and black. Both color schemes have strong similarities after consoles(Wii & XBOX) that have already been released on the market. I don't see it as a big deal really, just that they are going with something that has been introduced to the public before.

I can see where they would want to try and give this device a chance in the plug n' play market. I know this isn't something I would go out and buy but I can see what they are trying to do.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Heck, the Wii that me and my roommates went in on might as well be plug n play. Wii sports, smash bros, and something else that we never play.
It is basicaly Wii sports for us since our PS3s, 360s, and PCs have the games that we really want to play.
So Sega has a cheap wireless Genesis/32x? Sure, why not.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Wow Sega... just wow.

Phazon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phazon64
Member since 2009 • 612 Posts

Zone 40? They had it on display at my local Right-Aid once. It's really just a Sega Genesis with a Wii cover on it..

And poor controls/games.

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tommy_boy9999
[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]I dont think Sega is trying to trick anyone. They are just Endorsing the product.Black_Knight_00

To a point I agree with you. But if you look at the Actual product it is now Black with the Sega and Sonic Logo on the Front. I think the company was thinking what you thought and decided to get a Brand Name Partner. This is not a console that will play Wii games. It plays old Sega games with a wireless controller. This type of Knock off captures a different market, There are always knock offs in every business. The easiest way to not support this is not to buy it, but According to websites and posts its only in the UK. So if Nintendo endorses bubble gum with Mario on the wrapper then we should not buy it because its a knock off of another bubble gum. No way.. I think its cool. I will import it if I have to
Morello964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Morello964
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="CellAnimation"]"Sega has given its licensing blessing..." - so where exactly does it say Sega are announcing a new console? :roll:Black_Knight_00
SEGA is endorsing an existing and infamous Nintendo Wii ripoff. Does that sound any better to you?

It sounds more accurate.

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tommy_boy9999

I have no idea on how to post a picture

will someone please post the correct picture from here

http://kotaku.com/5461705/the-zone-sega-looks-like-a-wii-plays-like-a-genesis

this is what it looks like at retail.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

tommy_boy9999

Is this what you're talking about?

It still gives me the impression that it's a Wii knock off meant to trick people into buying it that don't know any better, but I'm just naturally pessimistic like that. Getting Genesis games definitely seems like a much better alternative to some of the other knock-off games that have been shown.

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tommy_boy9999
Thanks for posting the picture. See Im the exact opposite of you I am not pessimistic. Im very optimistic. This is a business first. Sega was more than likely approached by this company. In deals like this Sega has nothing to lose. They get money from the systems selling when they didnt have to manufacture it. How exactly are they trying to trick people? You guys are making this out to be some kind of conspiracy from Sega. This doesnt look like a Wii to me. If I walked into a store and saw this I was say oh cool a new genesis type plug n play. IT even SAYS IT ON THE TOP RIGHT. Then I would say oh Wireless controllers. Cool. I wouldnt storm out of the store saying Sega is ripping off Nintendo. IF this promotes Sega Genesis Classics Im all for it. Younger kids need to play the classics IMO.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Looks like the Wii is about to get some competition. Who do you think will win?
Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
If a consumer gets tricked by this piece of garbage, they had no sense being out in the first place. You have to be smart with your money, and if you don't do at least a little bit of homework before planning to shell out +$100, then it's your loss. But yeah, I agree, looks like some garbage a la "PolyStation 3"
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00
To a point I agree with you. But if you look at the Actual product it is now Black with the Sega and Sonic Logo on the Front. I think the company was thinking what you thought and decided to get a Brand Name Partner. This is not a console that will play Wii games. It plays old Sega games with a wireless controller. This type of Knock off captures a different market, There are always knock offs in every business. The easiest way to not support this is not to buy it, but According to websites and posts its only in the UK. So if Nintendo endorses bubble gum with Mario on the wrapper then we should not buy it because its a knock off of another bubble gum. No way.. I think its cool. I will import it if I have totommy_boy9999
The point is the target buyers of these ripoffs are not gamers who can tell the difference, they are marketed to gaming-ignorant parents and grandparents who once saw the Wii on tv, know their kid wanted one and they vaguely remember its shape so chances are that (being ignorant in this field) they'll buy something that looks like it. This has happened since the origins of gaming and I don't think SEGA ignores this marketing strategy. On the contrary, they are endorsing it to cash in (though I don't know how much they hope to earn from a china ripoff).
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

The only pro in this 'console' is that you can watch Sonic's fall from grace game by game.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Is it licensed by Sega or is it endorsed by Sega. I'm pretty sure those are two very different things.
optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

It has the super nintendo buttons! where is my A B C Start controller!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]

_Dez_

Is this what you're talking about?

It still gives me the impression that it's a Wii knock off meant to trick people into buying it that don't know any better, but I'm just naturally pessimistic like that. Getting Genesis games definitely seems like a much better alternative to some of the other knock-off games that have been shown.

Its clearly a Wii knockoff, but given the size of the Sega logo, the prominent position of Sonic and the color, I don't think its meant to fool anyone. I've seen stuff like the Sany Ploystation in Latin America which was meant to fool people.

tommy_boy9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tommy_boy9999
[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]To a point I agree with you. But if you look at the Actual product it is now Black with the Sega and Sonic Logo on the Front. I think the company was thinking what you thought and decided to get a Brand Name Partner. This is not a console that will play Wii games. It plays old Sega games with a wireless controller. This type of Knock off captures a different market, There are always knock offs in every business. The easiest way to not support this is not to buy it, but According to websites and posts its only in the UK. So if Nintendo endorses bubble gum with Mario on the wrapper then we should not buy it because its a knock off of another bubble gum. No way.. I think its cool. I will import it if I have toBlack_Knight_00
The point is the target buyers of these ripoffs are not gamers who can tell the difference, they are marketed to gaming-ignorant parents and grandparents who once saw the Wii on tv, know their kid wanted one and they vaguely remember its shape so chances are that (being ignorant in this field) they'll buy something that looks like it. This has happened since the origins of gaming and I don't think SEGA ignores this marketing strategy. On the contrary, they are endorsing it to cash in (though I don't know how much they hope to earn from a china ripoff).

Yeah thats my whole point. They are trying to sell to a demographic that doesnt normally buy games. Its a win win for Sega. These Zone 40 guys pay Sega and give them a percentage of everyone sold. Sega is not manufacturing them so it doesnt cost them anything. I think the thing even plays Genesis games. You should be more upset at all the rip off NES,SNES and Genesis machines that flood Ebay. Do you honestly think this will hurt Wii Sales? No at all. Like I said if you dont like then dont buy it. On the other hand i am going to import one if they dont bring it here. I think it looks cool.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#42 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Is Sega on crack? :?

Pixel-Perfect

Been asking myself that question for a long time now...

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
Controller looks like it would only fit a kid's hands.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"]To a point I agree with you. But if you look at the Actual product it is now Black with the Sega and Sonic Logo on the Front. I think the company was thinking what you thought and decided to get a Brand Name Partner. This is not a console that will play Wii games. It plays old Sega games with a wireless controller. This type of Knock off captures a different market, There are always knock offs in every business. The easiest way to not support this is not to buy it, but According to websites and posts its only in the UK. So if Nintendo endorses bubble gum with Mario on the wrapper then we should not buy it because its a knock off of another bubble gum. No way.. I think its cool. I will import it if I have totommy_boy9999

Yeah thats my whole point. They are trying to sell to a demographic that doesnt normally buy games. Its a win win for Sega. These Zone 40 guys pay Sega and give them a percentage of everyone sold. Sega is not manufacturing them so it doesnt cost them anything. I think the thing even plays Genesis games. You should be more upset at all the rip off NES,SNES and Genesis machines that flood Ebay. Do you honestly think this will hurt Wii Sales? No at all. Like I said if you dont like then dont buy it. On the other hand i am going to import one if they dont bring it here. I think it looks cool.

I'm not questioning how smart a move this is on SEGA's side, it's sure to pay off somehow and won't hurt the actual Wii sales. What I find irritating is that with this move they are actively helping the ripoff underworld, which cashes in on the ignorance of people who'll go home thinking they got a Wii for their kid and instead will have to see him disappointed. It also smells funny that the console being ripped-off is the latest product of SEGA's long time enemy, Nintendo. Too many coincidences perhaps.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="tommy_boy9999"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] The point is the target buyers of these ripoffs are not gamers who can tell the difference, they are marketed to gaming-ignorant parents and grandparents who once saw the Wii on tv, know their kid wanted one and they vaguely remember its shape so chances are that (being ignorant in this field) they'll buy something that looks like it. This has happened since the origins of gaming and I don't think SEGA ignores this marketing strategy. On the contrary, they are endorsing it to cash in (though I don't know how much they hope to earn from a china ripoff).Black_Knight_00

I'm not questioning how smart a move this is on SEGA's side, it's sure to pay off somehow and won't hurt the actual Wii sales. What I find irritating is that with this move they are actively helping the ripoff underworld, which cashes in on the ignorance of people who'll go home thinking they got a Wii for their kid and instead will have to see him disappointed. It also smells funny that the console being ripped-off is the latest product of SEGA's long time enemy, Nintendo. Too many coincidences perhaps.

You're talking of the old days. Sega and Nintendo are quite close nowadays (nobody besides Nintendo fans has shown much appetite for Sonic the Hedgehog).

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Black_Knight_00
You're talking of the old days. Sega and Nintendo are quite close nowadays (nobody besides Nintendo fans has shown much appetite for Sonic the Hedgehog).CarnageHeart
Good point, the war bewteen SEGA and Nintendo is over... still I can't imagine such a long competition history to just be forgotten like that and it seems strange that SEGA picked a Nintendo ripoff to endorse. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

I think it looks kinda cool but I dont think its a big a deal as most people are making it out to be. I just find it strange that Sega would endorse, licenese, make or whatever a PlugnPlay since theres already Genesis collections on actual consoles and they had their own PlugnPlay awhile back. Like the Atair one, it was a Genesis controler that had Sonic and some other games.

I find it even more interesting that it has a Genesis game slot. Again because there are already real collections on disc and how many kids of today do they think has/owns actual Genesis carts from a system they did not growup with? By the way does anyone know what games are on it? Says 50 so Im just curious. Like I said it looks kinda cool. I wouldnt mind owning one just for kicks.