Scourge: a new action game for Dreamcast

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

There is a new action game coing for Sega Dreamcast in development. It's called Scourge and is a horror game in the spirit of Monolithe's Blood games. It is a new project replacing Hypertension, the developer Isotope's (formally TDGMods) former game. While Hypertension was partially directly based on blood, Scourge will be independent, as reagrds content. So there's also a chance for a commercial release (Isotope are tnegotiating with GOATstore, who have published several independent Dreamcast games already).

Hypernsion was an FPS, and Scourge will probably be one, as well, although the developers have not yet given a detailed description on theier blog:

http://tdgmods.blogspot.com

However, they promised to release screenshots of the game, once their facebook page has 100 "likes".

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

if they couldn't finish hypertenstion, a game that had most it's content ripped straight from mid 90's PC game.

I doubt scourge will ever see the light of day

corynnechu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 corynnechu
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

if they couldn't finish hypertenstion, a game that had most it's content ripped straight from mid 90's PC game.

rilpas
There was never a will that we lacked in not finishing Hypertension (it was very close to being complete). It's much bigger than that and we did what we had to, for a very good reason. I cannot go into further detail about that project other than I won't accept an answer like that from anyone. I worked my ass off for years on that project and it will always hold an incredibly special place in my heart. Just occured to me that we haven't released any information regarding the type of game Scourge will be, but it's not a first-person shooter, and almost completely unconnected to our previous project/Blood. We have a great amount of talented people helming Scourge right now, but we'll just let the work speak for itself, like usual.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

corynnechu

There was never a will that we lacked in not finishing Hypertension (it was very close to being complete). It's much bigger than that and we did what we had to, for a very good reason. I cannot go into further detail about that project other than I won't accept an answer like that from anyone. I worked my ass off for years on that project and it will always hold an incredibly special place in my heart. Just occured to me that we haven't released any information regarding the type of game Scourge will be, but it's not a first-person shooter, and almost completely unconnected to our previous project/Blood. We have a great amount of talented people helming Scourge right now, but we'll just let the work speak for itself, like usual.

Oh I fully believe you worked your ass off.

But I also believe you fell for the same mistake a lot of indie devs and modders did, that they bit off more then they could chew.

I would love to see a spiritual sequel to Blood on the Dreamcast, but when making a project like this I believe you need to look at things realistically and ask yourself "Can I actually get this done?"

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GaussRiemann

I hope the game will be completed. :)

I'm curious now, how it will lokk like. Before your post, I suspected a 3D shooter in the spirit of Blood, something that compared to Blood would be like Gunlord is compared to Turrican. But from your answer, that's not the case.

corynnechu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 corynnechu
Of course, and that's the reason Hypertension had such an elongated development time (in hindsight, I started Hyper without a clear direction). We were working on very cool things before the project ended (split-screen, etc). There's just a much bigger and more important reason for halting development, something that gave birth to Scourge (and far more opportunity). I'm hoping that I can go back to Hyper when we get a chance and release it for free. @Gauss - yeah, the speculation is killing a lot of people, and we aren't at liberty to just release screenshots or material without a sort of approval. Some things I can confirm, though, is that we're using a completely different game engine, going full 3D (not 2.5/3D like Hypertension), and that it's not an RPG nor a FPS, though it will contain first-person elements at times.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GaussRiemann

Anyone who can program in C can now help to complete this game, Isotope are looking for an additional C programmer:

http://tdgmods.blogspot.de/2012/08/c-programmer-wanted.html

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Interesting. I kind of hate the Dreamcast controller though... It would be cool to see a new game come out for the DC though. Not so long ago a company released a brand new SNES game. Forgot what the game was called though. Its pretty awesome to see some games popping out for the old Legacy consoles.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rilpas

Interesting. I kind of hate the Dreamcast controller though... It would be cool to see a new game come out for the DC though. Not so long ago a company released a brand new SNES game. Forgot what the game was called though. Its pretty awesome to see some games popping out for the old Legacy consoles.

norm41x
actually it wasn't a brand new SNES game, it was an old SNES game that was canceled they simply found the rom and decided to release it
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts
[QUOTE="norm41x"]

rilpas
actually it wasn't a brand new SNES game, it was an old SNES game that was canceled they simply found the rom and decided to release it

Still pretty cool.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GaussRiemann

norm41x

It is. :) Fortunately, developing new games for the Dreamcast, in comparison, is quite easy, thus we have new games almost every year. Apart from Scourge, I hope that also Dynamite Dreams, TAHI and Time Hunter will be completed in time. And Hypertension, of course. :)

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts
It's nice to see another DC game claiming to be coming up but rarely do any games actually get finished and released.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GaussRiemann
At StatusShuffle: I know what you mean, though in case of the Dreamcast, the situation is quite good. 2011 was the first year where no commercial game was released for the system. At corynnechu: Isotope got 100 likes on facebook. :) Will we see some impressions of Scourge any time soon? :)
Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 5

#14 Eduspcloud
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts

One question: This game is exclusively for Dreamcast?

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

norm41x

there wasn't a brand new snes game. however a bunch of people did make a brand new sega genesis rpg, called pier solar. best looking and sounding genesis game ever

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GaussRiemann

One question: This game is exclusively for Dreamcast?

Eduspcloud
According to the info page on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Isotope-TDGMods/232903863419077?sk=info Scourge will also be developed for PC. I don't know if other platforms (Linux, Mac, other consoles) are considered, and if the PC version wil be come out at the same time or later.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Make Shenmue 3.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

its not going to get complete, just like the last one , heck im still waiting on that one snes game that was said to come ,

forget it its 2012 wii u around the corner , i must say , if your going to come up with excuses dont start doing a project unless you know your going to complete it if you don't want fans mad!

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GaussRiemann

What SNES game? All I know of is a 32X port of Hypertension, which had been in development.

corynnechu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 corynnechu

its not going to get complete, just like the last one , heck im still waiting on that one snes game that was said to come ,

forget it its 2012 wii u around the corner , i must say , if your going to come up with excuses dont start doing a project unless you know your going to complete it if you don't want fans mad!

mariokart64fan
I love how people come up with excuses to type a few words on a messageboard. Looks like this guy didn't read the thread as a whole, like most people that spout this nonsense. I must say, if you have no idea why we cancelled the last game and can't bother to read for that matter, don't start making one-sided comments unless you know what you're talking about!