Rumor: Sony set to reveal PS4 VR headset at GDC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I have no idea how the PS4 will be able to do render two 1080p images at 60fps each for next gen games. It can barely run 1080p games at 30 fps. My guess is that they drop the resolution down to 720p and keep the FPS at 30. But I highly doubt it would be enough for a 'quality' VR experience.

I also dont have faith in Sony when it comes to supporting peripherals. Move was actually pretty cool but was supported by like three games. Same with that 3DTV.

Rumours of Sony's PS4 virtual reality headset have been running rife since last year, but now an inside source has told TechRadar that they've spent some time with the helmet behind closed doors - and it's almost ready to be revealed.

Our confidential tipster said that they were impressed with the quality of Sony's Oculus Rift competitor. "The quality and resolution are really, really good," they said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built".

They also told us that they understand Sony plans to announce the headset at GDC 2014, which kicks off in San Francisco on March 17.

Virtually just around the corner

With rumours that Sony might show off some VR games at E3, it makes sense for it to unveil the headset beforehand and keep Las Vegas focused on the software.

Talk of Sony's headset surfaced last year with word that we'd see it unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show, something that never materialised.

Our source told us that "Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it", rather than taking Oculus's approach of releasing the Rift to developers in stages.

Oculus Rift recently told TechRadar that it saw the PS4 and Xbox One as too limited for its headset, so it's good timing for Sony to swoop in and give console gamers a dose of virtual reality.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-set-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-gdc-2014-1226620

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

On one hand, I am glad to see other companies explore VR and bring more attention to the tech. On the other hand, I agree that consoles are far too limited to create a good 1080p VR experience, maybe not even at 720p. (especially the X1). It's 2014, should we still be gaming at 30fps?!?

Given hardware limitations, I do not see this product having much long-term viability. It could be as you said with the PS Move, but we will see what they have our their sleeves.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The headset shouldn't happen. Like the Ouya and the Segway, techies swoon over the idea of VR headsets, but its the answer to a question few are asking.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart: 50,000 Oculus Rift dev kits have been sold. The demand is massive.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@CarnageHeart: 50,000 Oculus Rift dev kits have been sold. The demand is massive.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/ouya-console-delayed-as-demand-is-greater-than-expected-50011172/

The delay is down to the as-yet-unreleased console's popularity, apparently. Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman is quoted as saying that the fledgling firm has seen, "Incredibly positive reactions from our retail partners."

"In order to meet their greater-than-expected demand," Uhrman reportedly continued, "We decided to shift the launch date by a couple of weeks -- three weeks -- which will allow us to create more units."

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 S0lidSnake

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake said:

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/ouya-console-delayed-as-demand-is-greater-than-expected-50011172/

The delay is down to the as-yet-unreleased console's popularity, apparently. Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman is quoted as saying that the fledgling firm has seen, "Incredibly positive reactions from our retail partners."

"In order to meet their greater-than-expected demand," Uhrman reportedly continued, "We decided to shift the launch date by a couple of weeks -- three weeks -- which will allow us to create more units."

Yeah i know what i said was sourced Carnage. You dont have to link my posts proving my point. :P

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Not interested in VR...Well at least not now...Still interested to see what Sony comes up with...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

For the sake of yet further enhancing all my yummy horror games coming to PS4, I'm interested.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

The headset shouldn't happen. Like the Ouya and the Segway, techies swoon over the idea of VR headsets, but its the answer to a question few are asking.

People generally don't know what they want until it's been shown to them...the whole "building a better horse" quote. Maybe VR will catch on, maybe it won't. I personally don't see it reaching its potential until EEG tech improves. But when the majority of people who buy consumer electronics don't have the slightest clue how they work and therefore lack the knowledge of what is and isn't possible, I'm not guiding my company by the whims of a public that doesn't even know what questions to ask. it's aggressive on Sony's part, but so what?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

@dvader654 said:

Sony's track record with peripherals is terrible so I don't trust them. They should get behind the rift, offer rift support on PS4.

And in 15 years when your kids are living in a VR world don't forget I am the one who called it.

you also called motion controls.