Rumor? GamesRadar reports Crysis is coming to the PS3 with extra features

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=157388

According to GamesRadar, Crytek personnel have all but confirmed a conversion of Crysis for PS3.

"The game looks to be a port of the PC original plus some extra modes and features, a kind of Crysis 1.5," reports the consumer gaming site. Additionally, GamesRadar says an Xbox 360 version will not be made due to "technical reasons."

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Prepare for the flood of obnoxious posts proclaiming how this port will be useless and inferior to the PC version and how you're stupid and noone loves you because you want to buy it :roll: personally I think its pretty sweet the game will reach a larger audience and if I had a PS3 id be really excited
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

Prepare for the flood of obnoxious posts proclaiming how this port will be useless and inferior to the PC version and how you're stupid and noone loves you because you want to buy it :roll: personally I think its pretty sweet the game will reach a larger audience and if I had a PS3 id be really excitedGodModeEnabled

You couldn't be more correct.

Personally, I'm just glad Far Cry 2 is coming to the Xbox 360.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Prepare for the flood of obnoxious posts proclaiming how this port will be useless and inferior to the PC version and how you're stupid and noone loves you because you want to buy it :roll: personally I think its pretty sweet the game will reach a larger audience and if I had a PS3 id be really excitedDutch_Mix

Wha fo realz on Farcry 2? I thought it was PC exclusive. I can live with the PS3 crowd getting crysis if we get Farcry 2. Happy Godmode! :)
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Well if it really is going to be ported with extra content then it might be the missing 3rd act that was discovered a while ago.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I'm not sure how credible PlayStation World UK is considering the article is written in the mannerisms of a blind Sony fanatic. 'Mighty Killzone 2'...:lol:. I also found it amusing that the 360 version is not going to happen due to 'technical limitations' as if the PS3 is so much more powerful. Honestly, this all seems like a lot of wishful thinking, but time will tell.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The fact it mentions "extra features" makes it fake. Those features could easily be added to the PC version with a simple update.

And even if it did come to the PS3, it would most likely be a far inferior version. Crysis requires a minimum of 1024 MB of system RAM, without Vista... the PS3 has 256.
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Crysis could be done on the PS3 but why would they bother it would take them too long to make it on the PS3. IF they wanted consoles to get Crysis they would also make it for the Xbox360.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I'm not sure how credible PlayStation World UK is considering the article is written in the mannerisms of a blind Sony fanatic. 'Mighty Killzone 2'...:lol:. I also found it amusing that the 360 version is not going to happen due to 'technical limitations' as if the PS3 is so much more powerful. Honestly, this all seems like a lot of wishful thinking, but time will tell.

UpInFlames

I'm with you in thinking that the source is highly suspect... I've never heard of Playstation World UK. The only reason anyone is paying attention to the rumor is that Gamesradar picked it up and ran with it.

I highly doubt that the PS3 or 360 can run Crysis on any respectable level. My suspicion is that there might be a Crysis spinoff in the works, but I don't think the consoles will be seeing a straight port of the game. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rragnaar

The fact it mentions "extra features" makes it fake. Those features could easily be added to the PC version with a simple update.

And even if it did come to the PS3, it would most likely be a far inferior version. Crysis requires a minimum of 1024 MB of system RAM, without Vista... the PS3 has 256.foxhound_fox

Actually the PS3 has 512mbs of RAM... not that it would make a difference in this case.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Actually the PS3 has 512mbs of RAM... not that it would make a difference in this case.rragnaar

Total RAM. 256 from the system RAM and 256 from the VRAM. Both can be shared but as you said, it would make no difference.

Crysis requires a minimum of 1024 MB of system RAM and 256MB of VRAM.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Actually the PS3 has 512mbs of RAM... not that it would make a difference in this case.foxhound_fox

Total RAM. 256 from the system RAM and 256 from the VRAM. Both can be shared but as you said, it would make no difference.

Crysis requires a minimum of 1024 MB of system RAM and 256MB of VRAM.

Could they be tweaking the engine and graphics to make it less demanding, so perhaps it could play on PS3 (If this rumor is true)? Of course, that might be alot of work, and who would want to play what would be known as the "crappy console port". :/

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Could they be tweaking the engine and graphics to make it less demanding, so perhaps it could play on PS3 (If this rumor is true)? Of course, that might be alot of work, and who would want to play what would be known as the "crappy console port". :/Jbul

Highly unlikely. The CryEngine2 is going to be used on the consoles by EA and anyone who wishes to license it but Crysis for scale alone would be impossible on the current consoles. The amount of things rendered at once would make those things chug more than my rig running Crysis on low. Either that or it will be so watered down that it won't even resemble its PC counterpart.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foxhound_fox
It is sounding true, surfer girl picked up on it as well (the person who has been nailing prediction after prediction), she says there is a 360 version in the works too.

It was going to happen, its a major PC title that would sell way better on consoles. I am sure they can manage a great port of the game, I dont see why not.

dvader654

Sell way better on consoles? You sure the casual shooter crowd would welcome a partially non-linear shooter that lets them actually explore and make their own decisions?

If I recall correctly, Crytek themselves have admitted to either themselves not doing a port or it not being possible, so either we get Crysis: Instincts or Crysis 0.5. I cannot remember exactly. The fact that the consoles are not fully capable of supporting what Crysis does on PC leads me to believe this is just wishful thinking like all those rumours surrounding Crysis-to-consoles taken from Crytek's seeking of a PS3 programmer to help them port the CryEngine2 to the PS3.

And also lets not forget that neither the digital, nor the international sales of the game were taken into consideration when, from what I am guessing, is where you pulled your "sell way better on consoles" point from. Not only do I think the game would be a bomb on consoles because they would have to water it down beyond recognition, I don't think the console crowd would be as accepting of the game as the PC gamers are.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
We'll probably see "Crysis: Instincts" on the PS3 and 360. I know the rumor says PS3 only, but it doesn't make sense to put in all the effort involved in getting Crysis to run on the PS3 and then not bring it to the 360 as well.
00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Yeah seems bull Crysis is a shooter why not bring it out for also the Xbox360.
Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Never crytek won't degrade it's self to devoping on console's they don't have to ruin crysis for the console's it should and will stay a pc exculsive you know thing that dosen't happen othen.
The_lol_maker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_lol_maker
Member since 2008 • 220 Posts
Couldn't care less, I got it for PC and it's awesome! I hope it turns out to be good, for them PS3 gamers.... or for people who have a PS3 and a crappy PC....
Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts
That would be great, because that's about the only way I'll be able to play the game, or some version of it, anyway. There's no reason they can't do a great console version of Crysis just as they do with many other PC shooters. Its not like the PS3 is weak hardware, afterall. I don't think people have begun to even touch the system's abilities.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Prepare for the flood of obnoxious posts proclaiming how this port will be useless and inferior to the PC version and how you're stupid and noone loves you because you want to buy it :roll: personally I think its pretty sweet the game will reach a larger audience and if I had a PS3 id be really excitedDutch_Mix

Far Cry 2 all the way. Crysis was a slight disappointment for me. I hope FC2 actually uses the fact the game engine's so open ended unlike Crysis.

Thinking about it, this does sound fake though. I don't think there's any way you could port Crysis as it is to a system with only 256 megs of RAM. That would be a freakin programming miracle.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#22 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

And even if it did come to the PS3, it would most likely be a far inferior version. Crysis requires a minimum of 1024 MB of system RAM, without Vista... the PS3 has 256.foxhound_fox

Half Life 2 requires a minimum of a 1.2 Ghz processor, 256 MB of RAM and a 16 MB videocard yet they still ported the game to the Xbox with its 733 Mhz CPU, 64 MB shared Ram and 233 Mhz videocard.

People have to stop acting like Consoles have to follow PC's requirements when it's a totally different architecture

There's no way consoles would be able to handle Crysis in the form it is now but I can easily see a Crysis Instincts being brought to consoles

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Past PC FPS have had ports on consoles,I don't see Crysis being a untouchable title even with its "uber" graphics Crytek sp? can just use a different engine.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpInFlames

It was going to happen, its a major PC title that would sell way better on consoles.dvader654

Like The Orange Box?

I am sure they can manage a great port of the game, I dont see why not.dvader654

Probably because you haven't played the game. For the billionth time (and I'm getting kind of annoyed that people refuse to pay attention) - it's not about the graphics. There is nothing, absolutely nothing on consoles that can match the huge-ass levels found in Crysis. When you take into consideration that those levels are fully destructible/interactive and full of assets, the notion of a direct port becomes laughable. They couldn't do it with Far Cry and there's an extremely low chance that they're going to do it with Crysis. Crytek itself has confirmed that if Crysis comes to consoles it would have to be build for the consoles from the ground up.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]It was going to happen, its a major PC title that would sell way better on consoles.UpInFlames

Like The Orange Box?

Considering that Ubisoft would actually market the game properly, I'd say Crysis on the consoles could sell as well as something like COD4.

Assuming the game was very good of course.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i always love when the PC elitists have to eat their hats after proclaiming "you will never see game xyz on a console". sure the game will be watered down, but as is the case almost every time, the difference will only be really apparent to true videophiles, and the experience will be pretty much the same.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UpInFlames
Considering that Ubisoft would actually market the game properly, I'd say Crysis on the consoles could sell as well as something like COD4.

Assuming the game was very good of course.Grammaton-Cleric

It's entirely possible that it would sell really well, but it's hardly guaranteed. Sometimes I get the vibe that people really believe that all PC games fail commercially, but all console games are raving success stories. Obviously, that's not the case. It's probable that some sort of Crysis (Crysis Instincts, if you will) will come to consoles some day, so I guess we'll see how it does.

By the way, Ubisoft doesn't have to do anything with Crysis - thank goodness. :wink: Crysis is a fully owned Crytek IP.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rragnaar

Sell way better on consoles? You sure the casual shooter crowd would welcome a partially non-linear shooter that lets them actually explore and make their own decisions?
foxhound_fox

Do you really think that console gamers are that much different than you are? Am I not capable of any degree of sophistication or high level thought because I game primarily on consoles? I'll tolerate PC elitists for the most part, but implying that the average console gamer is a simpleton that wouldn't know what to do if they had to make their own decisions is just a little too condescending.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

This is like the World of Warcraft to 360 rumor that just won't die.

Its ironic to see this constant rumors on the hopeful console appearance of a PC game that many of these sites and people just 6 months ago wrote off as a "tech demo".....of course that attitude changed once Crysis started getting steller reviews and won some genre awards such as the one here at Gamespot.

Assuming the game was very good of course.

Grammaton-Cleric

Ubisoft isn't the publisher of Crysis.....EA is.

Even then, Crytek owns the rights to the IP.

And in the past, EA has done spinoffs of PC Exclusive FPS titles rather then direct ports, and those spinoffs are usually handled by an completely different internal team at EA rather then the development team who made the original PC version.

If EA follows the pattern they have in bringing previous FPS franchises.......they'll definitely market the spinoff game, and market it well.....it's the actually development they won't put much effort into. But then again, that won't make a difference and be more beneficial for them since with the right marketing it'll sell anyway.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

i always love when the PC elitists have to eat their hats after proclaiming "you will never see game xyz on a console". sure the game will be watered down, but as is the case almost every time, the difference will only be really apparent to true videophiles, and the experience will be pretty much the same.OneWingedAngeI

Whether it appears on Console or not doesn't really matter....the game was already excellent on PC.

It's just funny to watch some Console users continue rumors about a hopeful console version of a game 6 months ago they were happy to dismiss as a "tech demo" from a platform some of them are constantly proclaiming as "dead" or "dying".

.....or how they were happily dancing to the supposed "poor" sales of Crysis based solely on the initial NPD numbers (in fact it's been selling pretty well worldwide, remained in the Top 5 best selling PC games since launch in U.S. retail, and had the second highest retail revenue on the platform for December beating out even WoW and Sims games).

In addition, those "PC elitists" are simply giving their opinion of what will happen based on past patterns of what has happened......and more often when you have a PC game that requires high resources far beyond what consoles offers, Consoles get a dedicated spinoff title rather then the actual game.....that or they get a really watered down port where the difference is certainly noticable.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]
rragnaar

Do you really think that console gamers are that much different than you are? Am I not capable of any degree of sophistication or high level thought because I game primarily on consoles? I'll tolerate PC elitists for the most part, but implying that the average console gamer is a simpleton that wouldn't know what to do if they had to make their own decisions is just a little too condescending.

No kidding, I mean look @ Bioschock sales on the 360, but, but ... its won't sell b/c of the console casuals... :roll:

We're in the middle of this console generation, I would really them to use this game for the launch of next-gen consoles, but that's wishful thinking on my part as its a little to early for that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox
No kidding, I mean look @ Bioschock sales on the 360, but, but ... its won't sell b/c of the console casuals... :roll:

We're in the middle of this console generation, I would really them to use this game for the launch of next-gen consoles, but that's wishful thinking on my part as its a little to early for that.

D3s7rUc71oN

Well, BioShock was built around appealing to the casual audience. That is why it was such a success.

Do you really think that console gamers are that much different than you are? Am I not capable of any degree of sophistication or high level thought because I game primarily on consoles? I'll tolerate PC elitists for the most part, but implying that the average console gamer is a simpleton that wouldn't know what to do if they had to make their own decisions is just a little too condescending.rragnaar

No. It was nothing like that. I am talking about the casual audience who game on consoles. I am a console gamer myself but I don't play games like Halo, Call of Duty 4 or Burnout. I am saying the people who play THOSE games mainly are the ones who couldn't appreciate Crysis for all it is worth because they are used to extremely linear games that offer hardly any degree of choice or variety. They would complain that it didn't "tell them what to do so they got lost and bored" -or- "there was too little action and too much running from place to place."

I'm a console elitist more than I am a PC elitist anyways.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grammaton-Cleric
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]Considering that Ubisoft would actually market the game properly, I'd say Crysis on the consoles could sell as well as something like COD4.

Assuming the game was very good of course.UpInFlames

It's entirely possible that it would sell really well, but it's hardly guaranteed. Sometimes I get the vibe that people really believe that all PC games fail commercially, but all console games are raving success stories. Obviously, that's not the case. It's probable that some sort of Crysis (Crysis Instincts, if you will) will come to consoles some day, so I guess we'll see how it does.

By the way, Ubisoft doesn't have to do anything with Crysis - thank goodness. :wink: Crysis is a fully owned Crytek IP.

It's good when developers can keep complete ownership of their IP. That said, Ubisoft really does a good job a marketing so I would think if and when a console version hits, it would sell well if they were the publishers.

I also wasn't implying that PC games sell poorly. PC games typically have longer shelf lives and often sell over the course of years. Obviously, PC games sell otherwise developers would quit making them.

SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
time to get a ps3
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rragnaar

time to get a ps3SorasGhost009

There are plenty of good reasons to get a PS3, but this isn't one of them. It is an unconfirmed rumor, and more likely than not, if there is a Crysis game on the PS3 and/or 360 it won't be a direct port of Crysis.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grammaton-Cleric
[QUOTE="dvader654"]It is sounding true, surfer girl picked up on it as well (the person who has been nailing prediction after prediction), she says there is a 360 version in the works too.

It was going to happen, its a major PC title that would sell way better on consoles. I am sure they can manage a great port of the game, I dont see why not.

foxhound_fox

It's something to be called a casual by the likes of you. Honestly, it borders on comedic irony when a wannabe elitist starts hurling generalized insults like a twelve-year-old fan boy.

"Duh, we console gamers no like freedom, Crysis like reading big book or playing chess, Duh!!!"

That's pretty much what your statement above implied.

You do realize that plenty of intensely hardcore gamers prefer consoles, right? You are aware that some genres don't even register on the PC, along with numerous exclusive games that will never see a PC release? And are you really, after all these years, still trying to push the notion that the FPS genre belongs to PC gaming exclusively?

Take a deep breath and get over yourself.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox
It's something to be called a casual by the likes of you. Honestly, it borders on comedic irony when a wannabe elitist starts hurling generalized insults like a twelve-year-old fan boy.

"Duh, we console gamers no like freedom, Crysis like reading big book or playing chess, Duh!!!"

That's pretty much what your statement above implied.

You do realize that plenty of intensely hardcore gamers prefer consoles, right? You are aware that some genres don't even register on the PC, along with numerous exclusive games that will never see a PC release? And are you really, after all these years, still trying to push the notion that the FPS genre belongs to PC gaming exclusively?

Take a deep breath and get over yourself.Grammaton-Cleric

Read my response to rragnar.

[QUOTE="SorasGhost009"] time to get a ps3rragnaar

There are plenty of good reasons to get a PS3, but this isn't one of them. It is an unconfirmed rumor, and more likely than not, if there is a Crysis game on the PS3 and/or 360 it won't be a direct port of Crysis.

And those reasons are as follows:

Team ICO's new project
Metal Gear Solid 4
LittleBigPlanet
Resident Evil 5
Resistance 2
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#39 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

[QUOTE="SorasGhost009"] time to get a ps3rragnaar

whoa did you jut turn someone away from a PS3? I thought you said you were a PS3 fanatic... they might take your membership away for this outrageous thinking.

Anyways I dont know of a single system that doesn't have it's jealous fanatics saying things like "oh that ~insert popular exclusive game title here~ looks stupid, I dont care..." I remember the same things being said by PC gamers about Gears of War.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rragnaar

No. It was nothing like that. I am talking about the casual audience who game on consoles. I am a console gamer myself but I don't play games like Halo, Call of Duty 4 or Burnout. I am saying the people who play THOSE games mainly are the ones who couldn't appreciate Crysis for all it is worth because they are used to extremely linear games that offer hardly any degree of choice or variety. They would complain that it didn't "tell them what to do so they got lost and bored" -or- "there was too little action and too much running from place to place."

I'm a console elitist more than I am a PC elitist anyways.foxhound_fox

While I appreciate that you weren't attacking the entirety of console gamers, I think that there are plenty of successful non-linear games on consoles to justify bringing Crysis over to consoles. The feasibility of porting it is a whole different issue though.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

[QUOTE="SorasGhost009"] time to get a ps3smerlus

whoa did you jut turn someone away from a PS3? I thought you said you were a PS3 fanatic... they might take your membership away for this outrageous thinking.

Anyways I dont know of a single system that doesn't have it's jealous fanatics saying things like "oh that ~insert popular exclusive game title here~ looks stupid, I dont care..." I remember the same things being said by PC gamers about Gears of War.

I'd love to see a flawless port of Crysis on the PS3 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat, don't get me wrong about that... I'd also like to believe that Santa Claus is real, and that I'm going to go home tonight, turn on the evening news, and see video proof that Loch Ness, UFOs, and Sasquatch are alive and kicking... but it isn't happening.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
While I appreciate that you weren't attacking the entirety of console gamers, I think that there are plenty of successful non-linear games on consoles to justify bringing Crysis over to consoles. The feasibility of porting it is a whole different issue though.rragnaar

Well, the thing is, I would rather see games like Resistance 2 on consoles than a port of Crysis. Games built from the ground up for the console itself. Even if Crysis were ported, it wouldn't be the same game. Crysis was designed for hardware that is already beyond what the PS3 and 360 are capable of in terms of rendering.

It would be nice to believe that Crysis would work on consoles... but the massive scale of the "levels" would just not be possible, thus there having to be some kind of sacrifice in order to make it work... such as sectioning the game aspects and making the rendered game world move from checkpoint to checkpoint. Somewhat like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s "zoning."

I still think it would be a waste of time. Crysis is a technical achievement meant to be enjoyed as best as it possibly can. That is one reason why I still haven't got the game yet... my PC sucks.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]While I appreciate that you weren't attacking the entirety of console gamers, I think that there are plenty of successful non-linear games on consoles to justify bringing Crysis over to consoles. The feasibility of porting it is a whole different issue though.foxhound_fox

Well, the thing is, I would rather see games like Resistance 2 on consoles than a port of Crysis. Games built from the ground up for the console itself. Even if Crysis were ported, it wouldn't be the same game. Crysis was designed for hardware that is already beyond what the PS3 and 360 are capable of in terms of rendering.

It would be nice to believe that Crysis would work on consoles... but the massive scale of the "levels" would just not be possible, thus there having to be some kind of sacrifice in order to make it work... such as sectioning the game aspects and making the rendered game world move from checkpoint to checkpoint. Somewhat like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s "zoning."

I still think it would be a waste of time. Crysis is a technical achievement meant to be enjoyed as best as it possibly can. That is one reason why I still haven't got the game yet... my PC sucks.

We are definitely in agreement on that. I prefer games built around the hardware I'm running it on greatly over games that are ported from somewhere else. All I was saying is that there would be a large audience of console gamers that would welcome Crysis with open arms if it were to somehow be miraculously ported over to consoles.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 foxhound_fox
We are definitely in agreement on that. I prefer games built around the hardware I'm running it on greatly over games that are ported from somewhere else. All I was saying is that there would be a large audience of console gamers that would welcome Crysis with open arms if it were to somehow be miraculously ported over to consoles.rragnaar

A large one yes but not the most important one, the one that buys millions of copies of the games.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
[QUOTE="D3s7rUc71oN"]No kidding, I mean look @ Bioschock sales on the 360, but, but ... its won't sell b/c of the console casuals... :roll:

foxhound_fox

Well, BioShock was built around appealing to the casual audience. That is why it was such a success.

Do you really think that console gamers are that much different than you are? Am I not capable of any degree of sophistication or high level thought because I game primarily on consoles? I'll tolerate PC elitists for the most part, but implying that the average console gamer is a simpleton that wouldn't know what to do if they had to make their own decisions is just a little too condescending.rragnaar

Thats such a ridiculous statement. Crysis is no different than any other "sandbox" game, which are incredibly popular on the consoles. In fact, Crysis is about as open ended as the GTA games which are 3 of the best selling console games of all time.

The truth is that there is little difference between a PC gamer and a console gamer in the modern market. 15years ago there was a big difference, today its not so much. The same types of games tend to be popular across both platforms. Call of Duty 4 is currently the best selling game on both. And when the original Halo was release it was a huge hit in the PC market. I'm willing to bet Halo 2 would have been huge also if MS hadn't made vista a requirement.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grammaton-Cleric

foxhound_fox

Speculate and conjecture much?

Oh, and you couldn't be more wrong, given the general success of open-ended games on consoles. You assume people don't want the same choices in their FPS that they clearly enjoy in games like GTA yet you offer no rationale for this supposition. I'm willing to bet that most of these gamers would welcome a more open-ended FPS and the success of the sandbox genre lends far more credibility to my position than yours.

Also, what's wrong with linear progression? Do you have a detailed thesis regarding why gamers who enjoy linear games are unwilling to embrace open-ended constructs? And technically speaking, given the massive focus of the multiplayer component in those games you mention, is it really a reasonable assertion to suggest COD4 or Halo 3 are played and enjoyed primarily because of their linear natures given how non-linear multiplayer actually is?

Sorry, but I'm still reading a lot of baseless, crass generalizations about console gamers tinged with elitism.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
if they did get a conosle port they wouldn't understand or apperiate it its far to intelligent for the conosles they won't get why the pc likes it.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rragnaar

if they did get a conosle port they wouldn't understand or apperiate it its far to intelligent for the conosles they won't get why the pc likes it.Poshkidney

In addition to being able to form coherent sentences, most of the console gamers around here can spell correctly. So we might not be as dumb as you think we are.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grammaton-Cleric

if they did get a conosle port they wouldn't understand or apperiate it its far to intelligent for the conosles they won't get why the pc likes it.Poshkidney

Oh yes, because roaming around and shooting **** is highbrow art.