rpgs u dislike that everyone loves

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#51 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

I remember people getting super excited over Star Ocean 3 and I absolutely hated it. I don't generally enjoy RPG's with real time combat (I think the only ones I've ever stuck with have been Kingdom Hearts, Eternal Sonata and Ni No Kuni) and that's largely from my experience with this, seemed like it was trying to be an action game in combat, and was absolutely useless at it. Awful script too. Got bored after trying it for ten or so hours an never looked back. MudoSkills

Star Ocean 3's combat was a constant bash of the X and O buttons (I keep hearing BLLAAADE OOOF FURY!  in my head because I heard it so many times,it was inprinted on my DNA). At least SO 2 was more intuitive and fun. 

Also the synthezising stuff was boring, time-consuming and it was mostly a waste of money.

The story to me was ok, but it was done before in Final Fantasy Legend 2 for the game boy. 

My biggest problem with the game was on its last hours of gameplay, the difficulty spiked like Goku on a kaioken x30. At one moment you're on level 60 dealing with monsters with little to no problem, and then the game was like: "Oh so you didn't grind the last 8 hours up to level 100? Well, screw you, here's some hard monsters for you!"  

It's not a bad game, it just has a lot of annoying flaws.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

Shadow Hearts Covenant- I found the game too anime cliched. Wasnt fond of the combat systemdbz987

I had SHC for a while, kind of think if would still be nice to have. The part that I wanted to (somewhat) concure with you on is the combat. Not because I found the ring system bad, but this was the first rpg I played where your character''s numerical level didn't really matter that much; leveling your skills (in this case, the ring system) were what made the difference. Not my thing.

MeltdownMedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 MeltdownMedia
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts
Borderlands. I could just never get over that art style.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17680 Posts

While I don't hate it, for the life of me I could never get into Chrono Trigger no matter how hard I tried.  Everyone kept telling me how amazing it was and I just couldn't see it.  I own it and play it from time to time but can never finish.  I don't see the appeal whatsoever, it is an average RPG to me.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#55 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

IDK if I've played a JRPG that didn't live up to the hype.  

I guess I'll say dragon Quest V.  Not because I didn't like it (I thoroughly enjoyed the game actually) but I don't think the story is quite as great as some people say, and the monster recruiting mechanic was a bit too random for my tastes.  That being said, it's still a great game.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
@above I much prefer the more action oriented combat of RPG's like the star ocean series, tales series, etc ...or even some action rpg's like the Y's series. Though, to be fair, there are also ones with turn based combat that are not bad (FF12, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden come to mind for various reasons)
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#57 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

@above I much prefer the more action oriented combat of RPG's like the star ocean series, tales series, etc ...or even some action rpg's like the Y's series. Though, to be fair, there are also ones with turn based combat that are not bad (FF12, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden come to mind for various reasons)rawsavon
FF12 was turn based?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Every single SNES JRPG is mediocre, boring and just to primitive for me to enjoy (with the exception of Chrono Trigger and Earthbound). 5th generation JRPGs are infinitely better, and still better than 98% of JRPGs from later generations.

Earthbound, though I never really gave it much of a chance. Only played it like an hour once. 

nooblet69

The game isn't that good until about a quarter in. After that, it becomes a brilliantly fun, unique game till the very end.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]@above I much prefer the more action oriented combat of RPG's like the star ocean series, tales series, etc ...or even some action rpg's like the Y's series. Though, to be fair, there are also ones with turn based combat that are not bad (FF12, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden come to mind for various reasons)riou7

FF12 was turn based?

IDK what you want to call ones that have you waiting on a bar to fill...not action/active is all I know.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#60 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
[QUOTE="riou7"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]@above I much prefer the more action oriented combat of RPG's like the star ocean series, tales series, etc ...or even some action rpg's like the Y's series. Though, to be fair, there are also ones with turn based combat that are not bad (FF12, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden come to mind for various reasons)rawsavon

FF12 was turn based?

IDK what you want to call ones that have you waiting on a bar to fill...not action/active is all I know.

Yep i think it's not really action oriented combat system. More like ATB (active time battle) combat system. Like in FF6 or 7, you have to wait for the bar to fill and then you can move the character.
dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

FFX. I couldn't get over the voice acting. Nothing else mattered.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="riou7"] FF12 was turn based?riou7

Yep i think it's not really action oriented combat system. More like ATB (active time battle) combat system. Like in FF6 or 7, you have to wait for the bar to fill and then you can move the character.

That's the word (ATB). Senility is a hell of a thing
GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins < Couldn't get into it somehow.

Final Fantasy XII < Found the battle system to be the worst in series and Vaan is a forgetable protagonist.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#64 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@above I much prefer the more action oriented combat of RPG's like the star ocean series, tales series, etc ...or even some action rpg's like the Y's series. Though, to be fair, there are also ones with turn based combat that are not bad (FF12, Shadow Hearts, and Suikoden come to mind for various reasons)rawsavon

I love RPGs of all kinds. Like I said, I really enjoyed DQV, just didn't think the story was as great as people said.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#65 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

I didnÂŽt liked Dragon Quest VIII for the most part,there were some good things about it like the graphical style and general art direction but the story,characters and the somewhat lifeless combat sequences and the terrible song that played during those were things I couldnÂŽt get over with.
In general I also never quite liked games with the ATB mechanic,even though I played through some of them,namely FF7 and 8.

And then thereÂŽs Fallout 3,one of my biggest disapointments in the genre like,ever,especially after the amazing first two games. New Vegas was much better but it was still hampered by the terrible Gamebryo engine and sadly because of that it kept many of the terrible things of F3.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

I didnÂŽt liked Dragon Quest VIII for the most part,there were some good things about it like the graphical style and general art direction but the story,characters and the somewhat lifeless combat sequences and the terrible song that played during those were things I couldnÂŽt get over with.
In general I also never quite liked games with the ATB mechanic,even though I played through some of them,namely FF7 and 8.

And then thereÂŽs Fallout 3,one of my biggest disapointments in the genre like,ever,especially after the amazing first two games. New Vegas was much better but it was still hampered by the terrible Gamebryo engine and sadly because of that it kept many of the terrible things of F3.

Arach666
What did you dislike about Fallout 3.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
Just about every single one of them. I'm not an rpg guy.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Just about every single one of them. I'm not an rpg guy.Hseptic
Now thats my kind of Guy ! ;)