Resident Evil Outbreak - anyone still play the Outbreak games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

It sucks that I missed out on the online coop when it lasted a few years ago. Sucks even more that Capcom gone and went stupid and shut down the online server for the Outbreak games but then they had to make that Operation Raccoon videogame which technically to me is sort of a Outbreak 3.

Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and File 2 I think are still great. You get to play as the citizens of Raccoon City and see how they deal with the zombies running around and how they deal with Lickers and Tyrants.

I bet some of you were jerks and just left the other player alone to fend for themselves against a Licker or whatever? :P. I wouldnt be surprised.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
They didn't sell well and this was on the PS2 as well, which didn't have a popular network at the time. Trying to find players now would be pointless, and as you said, the servers are shut-down. You also mentioned Operation Raccoon City as a kind of spiritual successor to the title, and I concur. However, that game isn't all that good - and the Left 4 Dead games are. And they are popular and still have online servers running. Otherwise, Resident Evil 5 is playable as co-op, and there is Resident Evil 6 coming later this year.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

The Outbreak games were pretty good.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Sadly the Outbreak games were ahead of their time. Online gaming for consoles was new and not many people had their PS2's connected to the net at the time. Also Capcom's decision to deliberately keep voice chat out of the game pretty much made it impossible to play in any real co-op way with other players really hurt the experience. I mean could you imagine if they tried saying that when RE5 was released?

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Ahhh I LOVED Outbreak File #2 back in the day. Got to play that one online and it was amazing! I still remember how accomplished I felt FINALLY beating Desparate Times on Very Hard in a non-infinite room. With all the time I put into that game I only managed to accomplish that ONCE....

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#6 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Ilovegames1992
Yes I quite liked them. I would have liked Capcom to do a PSP/Vita release of them so the multiplayer could get a kick of like like they did Monster Hunter. Will never happen though.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

Outbreak brings back so many memories. Wish they would make another one or do a sequel.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Well Operation Raccoon City the new videogame I guess you can technically call it Resident Evil Outbreak 3 in a way. Online play and everything

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Ilovegames1992

I agree, I loved playing as David or Kevin. For me the RE outbreak games were right behind RE1 remake and RE2 for the best RE games.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I never was able to play them online either, but yeah, they were pretty good. They were pretty tough at the time as well! I never completed them either, I have been meaning to do that this year or something though. I would love for them to come on XBLA or something or remade in HD so I could play them online! always wanted to :).
yokoswrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yokoswrath
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

it wasn't capcom that shut it down lol...they just made the game

SNAP is who owned the rights and online ability's and they could not afford to keep the servers up and went out of business

some phone company bought them if i recall

bothers me even more then such a great game dying when people say things w/o having a remote idea what they are talking about :/

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

I miss the outbreak games. I try different character combinations and came up with no good combinations at all. T_T

deckofgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deckofgames
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Yeah i miss those games in playstation. They should come out with the new consoles

http://deckofgames.optimoo.com/

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

They were flawed, but I loved these games. I actually bought a second PS2, two PS2 HDs and two copies of each game just so my and my roomate could play splitscreen on my 16x9 CRT RP. The Eurpoean versions of the game supported LAN play, which the US ones did not unfortunately. I understand why they elected to not include voice chat. I actually liked the idea that you had to communicate using your character's voice, but they didn't give you nearly enough options to communicate effectively, even in File #2. This made the game just frustrating. Still, they played a lot like classic RE games.

-Byshop

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#15 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

I loved Outbreak games. Yoko was my favorite character because of the backpack. The two games were scarier and more entertaining than RE5 and 6.

SolidIngram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidIngram
Member since 2012 • 62 Posts

I absolutely loved the Outbreak games. They were some of THE funnest times i've ever had playing online with friends. I thought Operation Raccoon City was really not that good and was too action packed. I felt way over powered in that game. The great thing about Outbreak was the fact that you were very vulnerable and you had to scavenge for supplies throughout the level. I really hope that Capcom realizes that an Outbreak 3 would be the perfect way to reintroduce true horror to the fading series.

GerardoExber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 GerardoExber
Member since 2013 • 128 Posts

I love Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 :) Beat it many times, however I haven't played File 1.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Ahead of their time, unfortunately. Online gaming during their release was just was not fully realized or technically sound at that point.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

@gamingqueen: Her charm also helps a lot too. :D She's also my favorite character in Outbreak.