Ratings Question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manhunt92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 manhunt92
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts
I've got a little confusion here. For what I understand, the "M" for mature games should be played by people who's 17 or older. So according to this, games like GTA4 and Residel Evil 5 should be in this Mature group. The thing is, I'm 16 so when I try to download content from this kind of games on xbox live (demos, videos) it won't let me and I completely understand that, I support it. I don't care waiting for May to arrive (that's my birthday)but here is the thing. I keep reading and hearing from friends and users of his page that mature games are for 18 year old people, that's weird: in the game boxes always appears a +17 and I've also searhed on the official ESRB page and it says that is for people who's 17. My question is simple: 17 or 18?
Neon_Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Neon_Blaster
Member since 2009 • 797 Posts
I believe it's 17. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Viktormon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Viktormon
Member since 2009 • 481 Posts
It varies from country to country and beetween diffrent medias. I belive in US M-rating is 17+, here in Sweden it's 18+.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
Actually, I've heard of a similar problem from others in America. For movies and video games, 17+ is considered the mature rating; while the country considers you an adult around at 18. So, it isn't surprising that there is some confusion within America. While I'm not sure how this affects transactions from the console stores (it is probably 17+), but I've seen things (particularly, official game websites) require the user to be at least 18. It's an odd descrepency, I know. However, it shouldn't affect anything outside of promotional marketing.