Rare Promises "Jaw-Dropping, Never-Been-Done-Before" Kinect Experience

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

Actual source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/50863/rare-staffs-up-for-jaw-dropping-never-been-done-before-physics-driven-kinect-project/

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#2 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Jaw dropping and Kinect :lol:

That first video was amazing by the way and sums up my thoughts on motion controls generally.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
Well, Kinect Sports 3 technically hasn't been done before.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Always wanted motion control Ghosts 'n Ghoulies. (Sarcasm)

Rare has been garbage for the past ten years.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I'm honestly curious about what they'll come up with. 

Good Kinect games are possible. I'm really looking forward to Crimson Dragon myself (spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon), and hoping that it's good.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Maybe they come up with something good? ...........
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

tumblr_m9x2mxzAhq1ql07zs.gif

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

"Jaw-Dropping, Never-Been-Done-Before" Kinect Experience

So...a good game?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Isn't that, like, the ultimate oxymoron?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Microsoft should apologize for pushing a $150 barely functional prototype on the market. But no, instead they keep making promises we know they won't deliver on.

ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

Never been done before? As in it'll be mostly functional with responsive controls and serviceable gameplay?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

How about a Killer Instinct sequel instead of something on the Kinect?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
They lost me with Kinect.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

My jaw would drop if they prove to be more than just one of the worse gaming mistake that MS has done. It not often you can truely say you feel that the big company is more of a victim in a relationship.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

I don't believe...

replacing thumbs with body, not my style.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
eeeehhhhh.....nope not buying it sorry. There really hasn't been a single good Kinect game that has blown me away so now they know how to get it done? What happened to when it first came out where were the good games then? Yeah no deal guys....
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Milo is making a comeback! AWWWWWWW YEAH!!!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

Milo is making a comeback! AWWWWWWW YEAH!!!

burgeg
Nope, that Milo scam was Lionhead
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I'm excited. For real. I have hope someone is going to make something really interesting, might as well be Rare.

dvader654

Same. I dont get the hate. Why does everyone want every console to be the same? Sony's going with the most traditional gaming system so go with Sony. Let MS do its own thing.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

I'm excited. For real. I have hope someone is going to make something really interesting, might as well be Rare.

dvader654

Same. I dont get the hate. Why does everyone want every console to be the same? Sony's going with the most traditional gaming system so go with Sony. Let MS do its own thing.

Yep. And I am putting myself out on a limb here but I bet you guys the new kinect will be different and something most of you will want. That whole parade of casual wave hands garbage will be gone (or just a side thing but not the focus).

The only way casual shovelware will go away is if it will stop selling. Kinect Sports 1 and 2 sold over 7 million copies combined, so... no, I don't see kinect rising above the gimmick status anytime soon. Could happen, but I have my doubts.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

It might of never been done before but it still will control like slow dog crap

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#24 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I'd be able to laugh at this if it weren't so god damned depressing.
Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Black_Knight_00

Yep. And I am putting myself out on a limb here but I bet you guys the new kinect will be different and something most of you will want. That whole parade of casual wave hands garbage will be gone (or just a side thing but not the focus).

The only way casual shovelware will go away is if it will stop selling. Kinect Sports 1 and 2 sold over 7 million copies combined, so... no, I don't see kinect rising above the gimmick status anytime soon. Could happen, but I have my doubts.

Regardless it's good for Rare as a company because games like Kameo, PDZ, Banjo and Viva Pinata simply were not selling well enough to be viable. I personally have all of those games in my collection but the audience on the Xbox 360 is still almost as two dimensional as it was with the original Xbox. Unless it's a shooter or RPG chances are it won't sell well and the competition in the FPS market is furious. Kinect gave Rare another demographic on Xbox that they could target and they have done very well making games that will sell to this demographic so far.

At the end of the day for a business it's the sales that keep the door open and pay cheques coming. I did my best to support Rare as a core developer as I like their games but if the wider market can't support the games they were making I fully understand their decision to move to a market they can be profitable in. Though I do hope they use some of these profits to try their hand at a core game again one day. Who knows maybe they can even convert a few of their Kinect fans to some of their core games down the track. Probably not but in the short term it keeps their doors open and the money coming in.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I'm fairly certain that my jaw will stay right where it is.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] Yep. And I am putting myself out on a limb here but I bet you guys the new kinect will be different and something most of you will want. That whole parade of casual wave hands garbage will be gone (or just a side thing but not the focus).Sir_Graham

Regardless it's good for Rare as a company because games like Kameo, PDZ, Banjo and Viva Pinata simply were not selling well enough to be viable. I personally have all of those games in my collection but the audience on the Xbox 360 is still almost as two dimensional as it was with the original Xbox. Unless it's a shooter or RPG chances are it won't sell well and the competition in the FPS market is furious. Kinect gave Rare another demographic on Xbox that they could target and they have done very well making games that will sell to this demographic so far.

At the end of the day for a business it's the sales that keep the door open and pay cheques coming. I did my best to support Rare as a core developer as I like their games but if the wider market can't support the games they were making I fully understand their decision to move to a market they can be profitable in. Though I do hope they use some of these profits to try their hand at a core game again one day. Who knows maybe they can even convert a few of their Kinect fans to some of their core games down the track. Probably not but in the short term it keeps their doors open and the money coming in.

Well said. MS gave Rare a lot of bites at the apple this gen but their non-Kinect games all failed commercially (however, I think Rare must take the lion's share of the blame for the failures). If its true that the Sports series has combined sales of 7 million, that means those two casual games have outsold all of Rare's non-Kinect X360 games.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Black_Knight_00

Yeah, unless MS suddenly decides that dumptruck loads of casual dollars are unacceptable, the Kinect will keep offering games that cater to casuals (for whom precision and what happens onscreen are not a focus). That being said, I'm sure MS will continue trying to sell the core on the Kinect (a Kinect controlled Panzer Dragoon type game from the maker of PD is in the pipeline and a Kinect controlled Gears of War strategy games is probably still in development). I doubt they will succeed because voice and gesture based control aren't the optimal way to play most core games and because many core gamers hate motion controls.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts
Thanks be to Nintendo! We'd be missing out on all these amazing Kinect games if it weren't for them.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black_Knight_00

At the end of the day for a business it's the sales that keep the door open and pay cheques coming. I did my best to support Rare as a core developer as I like their games but if the wider market can't support the games they were making I fully understand their decision to move to a market they can be profitable in. Though I do hope they use some of these profits to try their hand at a core game again one day. Who knows maybe they can even convert a few of their Kinect fans to some of their core games down the track. Probably not but in the short term it keeps their doors open and the money coming in.

Sir_Graham

But why should we care? A company is only as good as the games it makes, regardless of the affection we personal may have for it. Let me remind you that 90% of the Rare staff that made the great games they used to produce in the 1990s is gone work for other studios and now all that's left of that Rare is the company name. No wonder microsoft is using them as cheap shovelware developers.

It's not all microsoft's fault of course: Rare wasted their IPs one after the other this generation, with a generic, soulless reboot of Perfect Dark and a Banjo game that was anything but a Banjo game. Viva Pinata was a weird tech demo and simply outside any market, Kameo is probably the best of the bunch, but is nothing too special.

Rare leaving Nintendo was a tragedy: Nintendo IPs gave Rare a wealth of material to work with (Donkey Kong, StarFox, Killer Instinct, DK Racing), whereas Microsoft has no idea how to come up with an IPs Rare could have worked their magic on. Too late now.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

I don't understand why people still maintain blind faith in something that has not delivered on basically anything since it was introduced. What would ever convince either of you that Kinect 2.0 will be anything but a giant pile of camel shlt based on what the first delivered OTHER than blind faith?

Regardless, it shows what a great job Microsoft has done at marketing it, because anytime it can make otherwise rational people believe in the viability of something that costs $150 when it has done nothing to instill such faith, it's either a miracle or one helluva marketing job. I believe the latter. Time will tell, but getting people to still believe in the brand when they paid top dollar for a device that flat doesn't work is an amazing feat.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00

Shame-usBlackley

I don't understand why people still maintain blind faith in something that has not delivered on basically anything since it was introduced. What would ever convince either of you that Kinect 2.0 will be anything but a giant pile of camel shlt based on what the first delivered OTHER than blind faith?

Regardless, it shows what a great job Microsoft has done at marketing it, because anytime it can make otherwise rational people believe in the viability of something that costs $150 when it has done nothing to instill such faith, it's either a miracle or one helluva marketing job. I believe the latter. Time will tell, but getting people to still believe in the brand when they paid top dollar for a device that flat doesn't work is an amazing feat.

Wanna hear something hilarious? Kinect is not only an abomination for those who bought it: it's also annoying for their friends. How? A friend of mine was playing Mass Effect 3 (using kinect) in my xbox live party and while me and some other friends were trying to talk, the guy would conntinuously shout "SINGULARITY!" or "GARRUS, MOVE!" He had to shout, because apparently the damn thing wouldn't pick up the command otherwise. We eventually kicked him from the party.
shadowdisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shadowdisciple
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

"Jaw-Dropping?" If the game is Kinect only as in doesn't just use Kinect sparingly in conjunction with a traditional controller. I'll believe it when I see it.

There are all these articles about how much more precise Kinect 2.0 is and that it can track finger movements and all this other stuff. I don't care if it can track the bristle of your nose hairs when you breathe, the core problem with Kinect, to me, was the inability to freely move your character in full 3D space, which was why every Kinect game that didn't use the X360 controller had your character stationary or on-rails. Until that issue is solved and I have seen no evidence that it has, Kinect 2.0 will be just as useless as a primary control input as the original Kinect.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Kinect = Yawn. The more Micorosoft talk about it the less likely I am to ever buy the next Xbox.