Racing games on Sega Saturn

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 5

#1 Eduspcloud
Member since 2005 • 175 Posts

Hello everyone.

Some time ago I created a thread asking about recommendations of racing games for Dreamcast.

This time is for our beloved Sega Saturn. I'm playing Hang-On and know there Daytona, but what's more?

Wisdom to talk,

Thank You

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Daytona CE (the Japanese one, not the western one)

Sega Rally

Manx TT Superbike

Wipeout 2097

Outrun (as part of the Sega Ages Collection)

Sonic R (not really a traditional racing game, and not that great either)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
if you're going to get daytona, get either Daytona: CE, or the japanese version of Daytona: CE as for other racing games on the saturn: Virtua Racer Sega Rally Wipeout Wipeout XL High Velocity Manx TT Superbike Need for Speed
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Daytona USA is good, but dang the pop-up is an annoying distraction. Sega Rally Championship is another good one. And of course Road Rash is a great game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Best on the console hasn't been mentioned yet. It's Cyber Speedway.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Well,aside from those already mentioned there´s also Sega Touring Car,Scorcher and Virtua Racing.
Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eduspcloud

Best on the console hasn't been mentioned yet. It's Cyber Speedway.Heirren

Interesting game. I'll look for more information.

And thanks for the advice dear friends.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

out run ..it's my fav racing game ..in 2nd would be super off road then rad racer then pole position 2

i like mario kart the best but thats beyond a racing game.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Emerald_Warrior

out run ..it's my fav racing game ..in 2nd would be super off road then rad racer then pole position 2

KBFloYd

But none of those are on Saturn.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Emerald_Warrior

But none of those are on Saturn.

outrun is on the Sega ages vol 1.

the rest aren't though

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Hello everyone.

Some time ago I created a thread asking about recommendations of racing games for Dreamcast.

This time is for our beloved Sega Saturn. I'm playing Hang-On and know there Daytona, but what's more?

Wisdom to talk,

Thank You

Eduspcloud

if you play hang on, on saturn. then play it with a steering wheel. AN ABSOLUTE MUST!! otherwise the game sucks quite a bit.

there's sega touring car championships, p[lay it with a 3d controller and fiddle around with car settings. it's a mixed bag somewhat but overall quite good. but hard and time consuming to learn

sega rally is the best aracade racinggame ever with daytona usa, although I prefer to play with controller rather than with steering wheel. also get daytona usa cce, japanese version. it's the *** verison of usa ce version but with better controlls and choice of original music in it. will cost about 5$

and there is super manx tt, which is awesome, but again only if you play with 3d controller or steering wheel

Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eduspcloud

if you play hang on, on saturn. then play it with a steering wheel. AN ABSOLUTE MUST!! otherwise the game sucks quite a bit.

there's sega touring car championships, play it with a 3d controller and fiddle around with car settings. it's a mixed bag somewhat but overall quite good. but hard and time consuming to learn

sega rally is the best aracade racinggame ever with daytona usa, although I prefer to play with controller rather than with steering wheel. also get daytona usa cce, japanese version. it's the *** verison of usa ce version but with better controlls and choice of original music in it. will cost about 5$

and there is super manx tt, which is awesome, but again only if you play with 3d controller or steering wheel

bultje112

I play Hang-On with the Controller Pad, yes it sucks, but i dont have money to buy a steering wheel. Other games have already been mentioned by other members, but thanks for the advice.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bultje112

a steering wheel costs like 10$ at most I think

0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 0m39AX
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

I'll mention two that are absolutely essential

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP & DAYTONA CCE

?

Both are such great games, even nowadays. Both mechanics and gameplay remain as enjoyable as within the moment they were released back then. Simple to pick up, but difficult to master - in a way that will trully hook you up. Its mechanics and playability still impresses me nowadays, and I keep playing them both.

Other two that are not classics, but both enjoyable games:

HIGH VELOCITY MOUNTAIN CHALLENGE

TOKIO HIGHWAY / SHUTOKOU BATTLE

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

DAYTONA USA is a must. Whether is the CE version or the standard one.

The standard version is so cheap and common that everyone should have it, if only for the music tracks.

After that SEGA RALLY and MANX TT SUPER BIKE.

POWER DRIFT is also an excellent cla$$ic arcade racer. Like OUTRUN, it was released on the SS under the AGES line.

The game runs at 30fps (half of that of the arcade version). But it is the only good console version of the game unless you can get a hold of the now rather rare Yu Suzuki Game Works disc for the Dreamcast.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Emerald_Warrior

DAYTONA USA is a must.

Panzer_Zwei

If you don't have a Dreamcast. The Dreamcast version looks even better than the Arcade version, and it has the extra tracks. Plus you don't have that annoying pop-up problem the original Saturn version has. It's bad enough to be distracting. I never have played the CE version, though. Is the pop-up problem fixed in that version?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

DAYTONA USA is a must.

Emerald_Warrior

If you don't have a Dreamcast. The Dreamcast version looks even better than the Arcade version, and it has the extra tracks. Plus you don't have that annoying pop-up problem the original Saturn version has. It's bad enough to be distracting. I never have played the CE version, though. Is the pop-up problem fixed in that version?

more or less, it is or at least, the pop up in the CE version is not any worse than in any other racing game at the time. its also better looking in general , and runs at a decent frame rate (around 30fps, which is normal for a racing game at the time)
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

DAYTONA USA is a must.

Emerald_Warrior

The Dreamcast version doesn't handle anything like the original. Same with the western CE version.

The graphics of the original SS version of DAYTONA USA suck, I think everyone knows and agrees on that. But it still one hell of a fun game, and given its low pricing, everyone should have it on their libraries.

The Japanese CE version while it's fairly superior, requires more effort to track down and of course is more expensive and you'd need either an ST-Key cartridge or Japanese system to play. So it is not as easy to recommend.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bultje112

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

DAYTONA USA is a must.

Emerald_Warrior

the dreamcast version handles far worse than the original; saturn version :roll: with steering wheel it improves a lot. but still not as good.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

DAYTONA USA is a must.

bultje112

the dreamcast version handles far worse than the original; saturn version :roll: with steering wheel it improves a lot. but still not as good.

"Far worse"? Exaggerate a little? I own both versions. And while the Dreamcast version doesn't feel the same as the Saturn version, it's not "far worse". It still handles and plays just fine, it's just feels a little different. It's not like it's broken, or anything.

For me the extra tracks, the improved graphics (better than the arcade, even), and no more distractingly bad pop-up makes it the FAR better version to play.

Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eduspcloud

bultje112

No..it cost 30-50 dollars and for me, who dont live in US, i will pay 2x the price + taxes.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Eduspcloud

No..it cost 30-50 dollars and for me, who dont live in US, i will pay 2x the price + taxes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Official-Steering-Wheel-Controller-Boxed-/280980241098?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item416bba3aca not sure where you live, but in the UK you can get the steering wheel for cheap.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

"Far worse"? Exaggerate a little? I own both versions. And while the Dreamcast version doesn't feel the same as the Saturn version, it's not "far worse". It still handles and plays just fine, it's just feels a little different. It's not like it's broken, or anything.

For me the extra tracks, the improved graphics (better than the arcade, even), and no more distractingly bad pop-up makes it the FAR better version to play.

you are clealry a clueless daytona usa gamer if you think the controls on dreamcast and saturn are anywhere near similar or as good. the difference is big. the cornering and shifting, to drift is also far wor4se in the dreamcast version. teh game is still very good. but ther saturn version is gameplay way perfect

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Eduspcloud

this is **** also I live in netherlands and got mine for 5$

Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Eduspcloud

[QUOTE="Eduspcloud"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Darkman2007

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-Official-Steering-Wheel-Controller-Boxed-/280980241098?pt=UK_Controllers_Attachments&hash=item416bba3aca not sure where you live, but in the UK you can get the steering wheel for cheap.

I live in Brazil...good price..for euro we pay 2.5-3x the price + taxes.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Eduspcloud"]

Eduspcloud

I live in Brazil...good price..for euro we pay 2.5-3x the price + taxes.

it still can't be that expensive to get one over there can it?
Eduspcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eduspcloud

it still can't be that expensive to get one over there can it?Darkman2007

The biggest problem here are the import taxes and financial income in my country. But by adding 1 or 2 months is possible.

P.S: Anxious to play Hang-On with Steering Whell lol

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

you are clealry a clueless daytona usa gamer if you think the controls on dreamcast and saturn are anywhere near similar or as good. the difference is big. the cornering and shifting, to drift is also far wor4se in the dreamcast version. teh game is still very good. but ther saturn version is gameplay way perfect

Well I guess most of the major review sites and fans must be "clueless" as well then:

• EGM - 9 out of 10
  • Gamespot - 8.6 out of 10
  • IGN - 9.3 out of 10
  • Metacritic - 86 out of 100

With things like "perfect arcade port", "even better than the arcade".

I'm obviously not alone here; and I do own both versions, so I don't think I'm clueless about it. I think it's really a matter of preference. And to me it's a clear choice of extra tracks, extra cars, and better graphics with a slight downgrade in control (Dreamcast version) vs. slightly better control with limited tracks and car selection and annoyingly bad pop-up. And if you have a steering wheel, in both versions, the control is perfect anyways.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

Well I guess most of the major review sites and fans must be "clueless" as well then:

• EGM - 9 out of 10
  • IGN - 9.3 out of 10

I'm obviously not alone here; and I do own both versions, so I don't think I'm clueless about it. I think it's really a matter of preference. And to me it's a clear choice of extra tracks, extra cars, and better graphics with a slight downgrade in control (Dreamcast version) vs. slightly better control with limited tracks and car selection and annoyingly bad pop-up. And if you have a steering wheel, in both versions, the control is perfect anyways.

well , to be fair, review sites do not always get things right. Alpha 3 for instance, was praised to no end on the Dreamcast ,Ive heard similar things about it , like "arcade perfect" and "better than the arcade" and "best version available" , and as someone who actually owns all 3 main versions of the game from the time, I can say its most certainly not arcade perfect, and frankly, Im not sure its even better than the PS1 version due to some control issues. that said, Ive never played the DC version of Daytona, it may or may not better than the Saturn port (Im talking about the original and CE)
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

Emerald_Warrior

• EGM - 9 out of 10
  • IGN - 9.3 out of 10

yeah they are clueless. I doubt any of them are as good as me in daytona usa. or others that have masted it completely and 8.6 seems about right for dreamcast version. but the saturn version is a 10/10, not counting graphics, which I don't as it doesn't detract from the gameplay