Quake VS Unreal - Your Absolute Favorite of the Two

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-598eef4dcda95
deactivated-598eef4dcda95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Quake VS Unreal - Your Absolute Favorite of the Two (28 votes)

Quake 57%
Unreal 43%

OK, a guy named Treflis gave me an idea in my previous thread, and this thread puts those wheels in motion. So out of the two godfathers of the multiplayer arena shooter, which one is your absolute favorite?

You're still only allowed to pick ONE series. But this time, by popular demand, EVERY game in the series counts toward your decision. That means whether you prefer Quake 4 over Quake Live, or Unreal II over UT2004, doesn't matter.

So once again, give me your honest, unbiased votes and opinions!

• 
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

Oof, tough choice.

I'm going to say Unreal, I played a lot more of that series than Quake.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Tough choice indeed.

Unreal Tournament 2004 is one of the greatest multiplayer shooters of all time. Feature packed with modes, maps, and mutators. Onslaught Torlan alone makes this game divine. Buuuuttt.... Quake III Arena is purest deathmatch game in every sense of the term. Kill or be killed in a test of skill using nothing but your aim and map control. No gimmicks, just you, your opponent and weapon pick ups. The excecution on the idea and mechanics of a 'deathmatch' give it focus in game design that few games have matched. So my vote goes to Quake.

The being said, I'm highly skeptical of Quake Champions and its focus on 'hero' characters and abilities. Same goes for the new Unreal Tournament. The core mechanics are there, but I'm not on board with the whole "we'll let the community make the game" approach. Give us a AAA, polished Unreal Tournament experience that only a large developer like Epic Games can. All they have to do is look at what made UT2004 so great and build off of that.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Oh. I'm honored.

Personally when it comes to Arena shooters, I think Unreal takes the win over Quake 3.

While Quake 3 Arena and Quake live does give you a solid Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch, Unreal, primarily Unreal tournament 2004, does the same while also adding variety. Like Onslaught, Assault and Bombing run, This ontop of your classic Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch, Capture The Flag and Hold The Point. It just offers more then Quake 3 Arena and Quake Live.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9400 Posts

I played a lot of Unreal, all of them. Quake was always something I always knew about and respected, but didn't play too much.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Love them both, but I have to go with Unreal. So many hours in UT '99/'03

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

My preferred Arena shooter is UT2004

Because of the movement, dodging and double dodge and how well the weapons was working.

SavedGameSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SavedGameSG
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

Quad Damage Ax to the Face... Quake baby!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Very tough one. As much as I love the Quake series as a whole, Unreal Tournament 2004 is one of the best games ever made.

For now, the slight edge goes to Unreal for me, but ask me again after I've played both the new UT and Quake Champions.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I like the shooting style in Quake 3/Live games more than UT games. UT is more mechanical aiming but there's less meta in the aiming (e.g dodge patterns, baiting etc).

It's hard to give people a real idea of what the actual Quake experience is supposed to be about. FFA DM is boring, clan arena and duel are much more fun. Clan arena in particular is the most common played gametype out of them all by a large margin, even though duel usually gets the tournaments. There still were quite a lot of CA tournaments though.

UT tournaments are usually duel, but duel in UT doesn't feel nearly as polished.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59013 Posts

For variety Unreal is better, for pure deathmatch or arena gameplay Quake remains untouched.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If we are talking multiplayer, then it's a tough call: Quake 3 made arena shooters huge and UT2004 was the swan song of the genre. If we are talking single player, Unreal 1 is better than all Quakes combined, but Unreal 2 is a bit of an unplayable mess. I guess that's also a tough call.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7285 Posts

Definitely put more time into Unreal, but still can't really say I have a favorite. Quake 3 is like a well made cheeseburger. It absolutely nails everything you need in an arena shooter. Unreal Tournament on the other hand is more of an artisinal craft burger with bacon, avocado, blue cheese, and stone ground Dijon mustard. Packed with content, and willing to experiment. Both are great and sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes the other.

My answer refers specifically to Unreal Tournaments and Quake 3 Arena, as I never really got into either franchise's single player games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

I played a lot of Unreal back in high school with my mates... was pretty awesome. And I'm not a MP guy at all.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I like both i prefer Quake

jwbulmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jwbulmer
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts

I loved them both, but as I have to choose I'll have to go with Quake.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I loved UT04, one of the best arena shooters ever but it must bow to THE GREATEST arena shooter ever: Quake friggin 2!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Ooh I have played those two series a whole lot.

but If I have to pick one, I would go with Quake in a heartbeat. Specifically Quake 2. The weight, movement, and weapon damage felt much better (Yes I even prefer Q2 over Q3).

Unreal was wierdly floaty and weapons always felt strangely weak. It got better with the advent of UT, and improved to the peak which I consider UT2k4 to be, the very best of Unreal (as of now), good selection of arena and mission types, vehicles and other became one of the things UT had over Quake for some time, and it is.

But Quake 2 is still king, where a double barreled shotgun can blow you away, a railgun can pick you off from a distance and the unwieldly BFG were oftenone hit kills, the rocket control was an artform, and the chaingun did great for sustained fire.

In contrast Unreals weapons rarely felt lethal. The level design could be argued was better, but movement, hitboxes and gameflow felt akward.

BTW: Does Quake wars count? If so yeah that one would take the cake.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Unreal - I have very fond memories of playing that online. It was one of the first LAN games I played.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

Unreal is still the king of arena shooters.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Don't bump old threads