psone graphics question

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="WAJ"]

Jurrasic Park and Terminator 2 were pre 1994 and still hold up to todays special effects...

Jag85

That's because they were CGI and rendered on render farms.

Real-time 3D is evolving much slower and we're still several years away from CGI quality graphics in video games.

I'm pretty sure people last gen were saying we'd catch up to CGI quality graphics this gen (and the gen before), but that still hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure we'll ever catch up to it any time in the near future, but the gap is definitely getting smaller and smaller over the years.

Yeah, I remember when Sony said "Toy Story graphics" on the PS2 and MS said "Avatar graphics" on the X1.

While the X1 is not out yet, I can say that from the previews it's far from Avatar quality and PS2 never reached Toy Story quality.

I mean, how could they have graphics that took months to render of the most powerful computers at the time?

Makes no sense, really...

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#52 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
Early PS1 games had bad graphics, without a doubt. But check out any game at all that came out from late 1997 or so onward and you'll see the graphics really improved over time and textures got a bit better. The Spyro trilogy and Ape Escape are still wonderful to look at.
WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

I was refering to the fact that technically the CGI in Jurassic Park and T2 were pre-rendered. Someone said something about that earlier is all...

GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

They are really crude and ugly 3D graphics when you compare it with today's standards of course but like many here said, at the time it was a revolution, imagine someone who only played 2D games on a SNES, then imagine a game where you can rotate the camera, look around the environment and et all, it was mind blowing.  The best graphics I saw on the PS1 are on 3 games, all from Square-Enix (Square-Soft at the time) : Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX.

PhotonikTronik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PhotonikTronik
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts

They are really crude and ugly 3D graphics when you compare it with today's standards of course but like many here said, at the time it was a revolution, imagine someone who only played 2D games on a SNES, then imagine a game where you can rotate the camera, look around the environment and et all, it was mind blowing.  The best graphics I saw on the PS1 are on 3 games, all from Square-Enix (Square-Soft at the time) : Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX.

GunBladeHero
SQUARESOFT HAd THE BEST GRAPHICS ON THE PS1??????? Surely you must be the CGI (Computer Graphics Interlaced.(C) Danile Woods)
Avatar image for abcdefgabcdefgz
abcdefgabcdefgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 abcdefgabcdefgz
Member since 2004 • 698 Posts

I feel the n64 which came out a little after playstation holds up a lot better the playstation just from the accelerated smoothed 3d graphics although it still looks bad not nearly as bad as playstation. I cant even go back and play playstation games anymore yet I still play my snes all the time.