PS2 SLIM: Worth Buying??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VampireAngelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 VampireAngelo
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
I'm planning to buy a PS2 slim, Is it worth buying a PS2 SLIM?? or do I still need to a buy an exhaust fan for it??
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#2 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
If you already have a working ps2 fat, there's no reason to upgrade. If you don't have a ps2 yet, it's a pretty good system.
VampireAngelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VampireAngelo

If you already have a working ps2 fat, there's no reason to upgrade. If you don't have a ps2 yet, it's a pretty good system.BuryMe

I do have a the older PS2 but it's broken. So I'm planning to buy slim one. Does the exhaust fan for the slim sold separately or not??

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#4 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
you don't need a fan. It works perfectly fine without it.
VampireAngelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VampireAngelo
I'm just afraid of over-heating the PS2-slim. But as you said you didn't need any fan or anything. Thanks for the info dude.:D
Avatar image for coincollector78
coincollector78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 coincollector78
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts

I'm just afraid of over-heating the PS2-slim. But as you said you didn't need any fan or anything. Thanks for the info dude.:DVampireAngelo

I own a 9000 series PS2 slim and I've had no problems with over heating. Although, the longest I've ran it at once is only 4 or 5 hours.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Yes. The slim is an excellent console. It won't give you the same problems that plagued the terrible first version.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
theres a fan allready in the ps2 slim and this is a picture of a ps2 slim fan http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/bigM10231/SUNP0001.jpg
DarkR34p3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 DarkR34p3r
Member since 2006 • 722 Posts
Yes. The slim is an excellent console. It won't give you the same problems that plagued the terrible first version.Rocky32189
What are these problems of you speak of?! I've owned a fat PS2 since 2001 and it still works without a hitch!
ramboturd72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ramboturd72
Member since 2008 • 3514 Posts

I'm just afraid of over-heating the PS2-slim. But as you said you didn't need any fan or anything. Thanks for the info dude.:DVampireAngelo

Don't worry about overheating, my slim was being played constantly for about 8 hours at my cousins house and it was fine.

DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it much if you're planning to give it some intense use (2 or more hours daily) unless the place for it has good refrigeration. A friend of mine (he's only 11) told me that he wanted to get a PS2 'fat', due to the overheating problems of the PS2 Slim. If you manage to avoid the system from overheating on the maximum time you'll devote to it, then it's worth it.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bigM10231

my old slim got really hot but it lasted 24 hours without frying and he overheating ps2s have fans

my new ps2 slim doesnt overheat not even after 36 hours

bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#13 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]Yes. The slim is an excellent console. It won't give you the same problems that plagued the terrible first version.DarkR34p3r
What are these problems of you speak of?! I've owned a fat PS2 since 2001 and it still works without a hitch!

Same here I don't know how many times me and my friends used to set up all night long playing it non stop and its never over heated or anything.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]Yes. The slim is an excellent console. It won't give you the same problems that plagued the terrible first version.DarkR34p3r

I'm talking about the disk read error problems that affected nearly every system. If you never had them, consider yourself lucky.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Arguably, I'd suggest against the slim. Instead, try to find a good "fatty" PS2, get a nice big hard drive and HDLoader Rip your games onto the hard drive, and the decreased wear and tear along with faster loading times are more than enough to make getting a slim PStwo silly. While you can sort of do the same with a slim PStwo, you can usually only do so with either significant modification that requires a specific subset of modchips and case modification. Or you could try a USB hard drive, but you lose most of the benefit of HDloading (namely, faster load times for most games). That and the PStwo's are also imperfect about PS1 gameplay. You see, not only did Sony remove the power supply from the inside of the PS2 to make a slimmer version, they also removed a key component of the original PS2 - the PS1 CPU and its dedicated RAM. To continue being BC for ps1 games, Sony wrote a software emulator to run on the PS2 chips and overclocked the EE/GS that power the PStwo. First problem with that is that compatibility with PS1 games is no longer hardware-perfect, and there are known errata pages (if you search enough) of games for PS1 that won't work on this newer model. On the same token, there are some PS2 games that won't work - some of these are because they took advantage of the presence of that extra cpu and RAM sitting on the sideline. Simply, a dev who wanted additional processing could relegate less intensive tasks (like A.I., background stuff) to the PS1 cpu and its dedicated RAM to process while the EE+GS did the more important tasks. Obviously, games that used this running on a PStwo will try to address a chip and RAM that are simply not there anymore. So either they work slower, or they don't work at all.
DarkR34p3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkR34p3r
Member since 2006 • 722 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkR34p3r"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]Yes. The slim is an excellent console. It won't give you the same problems that plagued the terrible first version.Rocky32189

I'm talking about the disk read error problems that affected nearly every system. If you never had them, consider yourself lucky.

The only disc-read error I've ever had was with REALLY (and I stress the word heavily) messed up discs.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bigM10231

Arguably, I'd suggest against the slim. Instead, try to find a good "fatty" PS2, get a nice big hard drive and HDLoader Rip your games onto the hard drive, and the decreased wear and tear along with faster loading times are more than enough to make getting a slim PStwo silly. While you can sort of do the same with a slim PStwo, you can usually only do so with either significant modification that requires a specific subset of modchips and case modification. Or you could try a USB hard drive, but you lose most of the benefit of HDloading (namely, faster load times for most games). That and the PStwo's are also imperfect about PS1 gameplay. You see, not only did Sony remove the power supply from the inside of the PS2 to make a slimmer version, they also removed a key component of the original PS2 - the PS1 CPU and its dedicated RAM. To continue being BC for ps1 games, Sony wrote a software emulator to run on the PS2 chips and overclocked the EE/GS that power the PStwo. First problem with that is that compatibility with PS1 games is no longer hardware-perfect, and there are known errata pages (if you search enough) of games for PS1 that won't work on this newer model. On the same token, there are some PS2 games that won't work - some of these are because they took advantage of the presence of that extra cpu and RAM sitting on the sideline. Simply, a dev who wanted additional processing could relegate less intensive tasks (like A.I., background stuff) to the PS1 cpu and its dedicated RAM to process while the EE+GS did the more important tasks. Obviously, games that used this running on a PStwo will try to address a chip and RAM that are simply not there anymore. So either they work slower, or they don't work at all.codezer0

90% of this is wrong

the newer ps2s load faster all ps2 games work all ps1 games work

why do you need a usb hard drive or a hd loader rip

the newest ps2 slim model doesnt have a seperate power adapter

it dont over heat like it use to

ps1 games work 3 times as fast

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 codezer0
No, it does not load PS2 games faster. It's the same DVD drive, and the read speeds for the old and new PStwo DVD drives are the exact same. Not all PS1 games work. And at the same token, PS2 games that used the extra chips the original PS2 had are going to have trouble too. If you want to run HDLoader to rip and play games (and save optical drive wear 'n tear), then you either get a "fatty" PS2 and use a PATA hard drive, or if you have a slim PStwo, you either go with a modchip and case mod package to give it a PATA connector it can use, or you use a USB external hard drive to run the games off of, since the PStwo doesn't have a firewire port like the old PS2's did if you don't want to chop up your new PStwo.
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
Is anyone else here aware that there are 3 models of the PS2 out now? The 90000 series is the one on the shelves now, and it's well worth the money. Mine barely gets warm after any hours of usage.
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

I have a working fat but still went out and boughta 90000 series slim. The drive on the fat was getting really noisy and I could tell the gears were worn to hell (it is 6 years old now). The argument about the slim overheating were true when it was first introduced however now they have been sorted out. Mine is on for plenty of hours per day and running like a charm.

I cant attest to the compatibility thing, I havent tested out my entire collection on the slim but those I have never had a problem so far.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#21 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I have the original PS2 but I also bought a new slimline because the original PS2, seem to break easier, mine gets errors alot, the slimline works fine. the original is in storage.

so you dont have to, but its recommeneded, wait a few months until it gets really cheap and buy it then

StealthKing93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 StealthKing93
Member since 2008 • 715 Posts

I got the PS2 fat and had it for a couple of years, I played it so much that it burnt out. I bought the PS2 slim, and it's awesome. It has lasted for quite a few years and plus the fan keeps it more cool than the fan on the fat ps2.

It's worth getting

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
It doesn't matter which system you buy...go for the cheaper version since they both work fine. The slim doesn't break despite its small size even though it's fallen off my shelf more than once and I've never had heating issues...although I've never played for longer than 12 hours straight (thank you FFXII). If you feel that the system is overheating a little bit then just set it across some books on either end so that air passes under the middle, but like I said, I've never had issues.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#24 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Why buy an old PS2 when you can buy a new PS2 Slim with a one year warranty?

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I don't see anything going wrong if you buy either Slim or Phat.

I have a PS2 Phat since 2002, and it never once failed me. I had no overheating issues. Played games like SMT Nocturne,Jak 2, FFX over 10 hours with no problems.

If you didn't own a PS2 last gen, get one ASAP. I've had the best time ever last gen. You really can't go wrong with the PS2.

PS2 Slim or Phat doesn't matter. Both are fine.

Agurr22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Agurr22
Member since 2009 • 81 Posts

No, it does not load PS2 games faster. It's the same DVD drive, and the read speeds for the old and new PStwo DVD drives are the exact same. Not all PS1 games work. And at the same token, PS2 games that used the extra chips the original PS2 had are going to have trouble too. If you want to run HDLoader to rip and play games (and save optical drive wear 'n tear), then you either get a "fatty" PS2 and use a PATA hard drive, or if you have a slim PStwo, you either go with a modchip and case mod package to give it a PATA connector it can use, or you use a USB external hard drive to run the games off of, since the PStwo doesn't have a firewire port like the old PS2's did if you don't want to chop up your new PStwo.codezer0

Sorry but none of that even makes sense to me

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 codezer0
Seeing that made my proverbial ****-o-meter go off. But, in the odd event you were serious... With the original PS2 hardware design (fatty), there was the PS2 EE, GS, and then the duty of handling I/O for the USB and firewire ports was handled to a separate MIPS CPU and its own dedicated RAM. Turns out, this was the exact same MIPS CPU and amount of RAM for a PS1. The boot loader/firmware on a PS2 basically turned CPU duties over to this chip when booting a ps1 game, and used the GS chip for handling the graphics (with modest upscaling possible). *OPTIONALLY*, ps2 devs could then use this separate chip and its dedicated 2MB of RAM to be a secondary (albeit slower) processor for handling stuff that doesn't necessarily need to sync with what the EE is crunching away (e.g. you don't *need* to calculate AI pathfinding on every frame that is rendered and so on). Of course, this could only be done if the devs were positively sure that they wouldn't be using the USB and/or firewire ports for anything else. Fast forward to when the ps2 slim came out. By then, fatties had lost the firewire port, but still had the ps1 chips for I/O duties. However, Sony wanted to cut costs further. Besides making the dualshock2's that came with the PStwo's of weaker material (yes, I took a couple of them apart - old ones had thicker, stronger PCB's and metal weights for the rumble motors. The PStwo DS2 controllers had flimsier PCB's and **** CARDBOARD for the rumble motors :evil: ), they wanted to look at the system itself, and wanted to stop making those darned PSOne chips and put that generation of hardware to bed. So, they removed the ps1 CPU and its RAM, and gave the PStwo a software emulator to handle it. Problem was, it was never going to perform right at the reference speed that the original specs called for. So, Sony overclocked the EE+GS combo chip in the PStwo's to compensate. Now, you had a double quandary, because software emulation will never be as accurate as hardware emulation for the PS1 games, but those ps2 games that optionally called for the ps1 chip for extra duties were now going to be trying to access a piece of silicon that didn't exist anymore. In this event, it's a bit like suddenly removing the RAM expansion pak on an n64 and playing a game that needed it. It would either run slower/poorer, or not at all. This is why it wasn't just PS1 games that were glitched and nonfunctional with the PStwo, and why even fairly new titles at the time like Tekken 5 and GTA San Andreas were reported to have serious problems with the freshly launched PStwo's. On the subject of HDLoader with the fatty, it was a fool-proof setup. You got an EIDE/PATA hard drive that physically fit within the system (and/or modified the network adapter's PATA connectors to line up with those on the hard drive, like with so many WD brand models), and ran the HDloader disc that had an appropriate version of the software. You rip your games with your disc drive onto the hard drive, and then run them off the hard disk. Suddenly you had much better load times, nearly (if not truly) eliminated all those load-time glitches (a big deal for games like GTA which constantly stream data off the disc), and significantly less wear and tear on the disc drive, since newer versions could shut down the ps2 disc drive while running the HDloaded game. With the PStwo, they obviously removed facilities for having an internal hard drive. Strangely though, there is enough code within the PStwo firmware to still allow an internal hard drive to be used. BUT, in order to use one with a PStwo (last I checked), you needed a DMS4 Pro modchip with a recent enough firmware, and then get a case mod package to be able to give that PStwo a PATA hard drive connector. It was also pretty half-baked because you still had to find a way to power the drive, because all you got out of it was the data cable, whereas the network adapter for fatty PS2's had both data and power for PATA hard drives. Some versions of the case mod kit to enable this did include a separate power brick to power the PATA hard drive you used. Not many do, though. And after having been able to enjoy HDloading with nearly every game in my ps2 library, it's something I wish I could do with my ps3 proper... especially since I can thankfully do it now with the 360. If you don't want to chop up your PStwo to use hard drive ripping/loading, then your only real alternative is using USBAdvance, which could support USB hard drives. I personally don't like this that much because while USB 2.0 is rated faster, the reality is that firewire (1394a, not even talking about 1394b) remains consistently faster for external hard drives than USB2.0. But of course, the PStwo has no firewire ports like the original PS2's did. So on the load times, doing it with a USB hard drive pretty much eliminates one of the key benefits of HDloading in the first place (namely, significantly faster load times for games).
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Well I was going to post but after seeing the one above me I think I'll just crawl into the N00b corner.
Agurr22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Agurr22
Member since 2009 • 81 Posts
Yea, someone knows their stuff =P
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Seeing that made my proverbial ****-o-meter go off. But, in the odd event you were serious... With the original PS2 hardware design (fatty), there was the PS2 EE, GS, and then the duty of handling I/O for the USB and firewire ports was handled to a separate MIPS CPU and its own dedicated RAM. Turns out, this was the exact same MIPS CPU and amount of RAM for a PS1. The boot loader/firmware on a PS2 basically turned CPU duties over to this chip when booting a ps1 game, and used the GS chip for handling the graphics (with modest upscaling possible). *OPTIONALLY*, ps2 devs could then use this separate chip and its dedicated 2MB of RAM to be a secondary (albeit slower) processor for handling stuff that doesn't necessarily need to sync with what the EE is crunching away (e.g. you don't *need* to calculate AI pathfinding on every frame that is rendered and so on). Of course, this could only be done if the devs were positively sure that they wouldn't be using the USB and/or firewire ports for anything else. Fast forward to when the ps2 slim came out. By then, fatties had lost the firewire port, but still had the ps1 chips for I/O duties. However, Sony wanted to cut costs further. Besides making the dualshock2's that came with the PStwo's of weaker material (yes, I took a couple of them apart - old ones had thicker, stronger PCB's and metal weights for the rumble motors. The PStwo DS2 controllers had flimsier PCB's and **** CARDBOARD for the rumble motors :evil: ), they wanted to look at the system itself, and wanted to stop making those darned PSOne chips and put that generation of hardware to bed. So, they removed the ps1 CPU and its RAM, and gave the PStwo a software emulator to handle it. Problem was, it was never going to perform right at the reference speed that the original specs called for. So, Sony overclocked the EE+GS combo chip in the PStwo's to compensate. Now, you had a double quandary, because software emulation will never be as accurate as hardware emulation for the PS1 games, but those ps2 games that optionally called for the ps1 chip for extra duties were now going to be trying to access a piece of silicon that didn't exist anymore. In this event, it's a bit like suddenly removing the RAM expansion pak on an n64 and playing a game that needed it. It would either run slower/poorer, or not at all. This is why it wasn't just PS1 games that were glitched and nonfunctional with the PStwo, and why even fairly new titles at the time like Tekken 5 and GTA San Andreas were reported to have serious problems with the freshly launched PStwo's. On the subject of HDLoader with the fatty, it was a fool-proof setup. You got an EIDE/PATA hard drive that physically fit within the system (and/or modified the network adapter's PATA connectors to line up with those on the hard drive, like with so many WD brand models), and ran the HDloader disc that had an appropriate version of the software. You rip your games with your disc drive onto the hard drive, and then run them off the hard disk. Suddenly you had much better load times, nearly (if not truly) eliminated all those load-time glitches (a big deal for games like GTA which constantly stream data off the disc), and significantly less wear and tear on the disc drive, since newer versions could shut down the ps2 disc drive while running the HDloaded game. With the PStwo, they obviously removed facilities for having an internal hard drive. Strangely though, there is enough code within the PStwo firmware to still allow an internal hard drive to be used. BUT, in order to use one with a PStwo (last I checked), you needed a DMS4 Pro modchip with a recent enough firmware, and then get a case mod package to be able to give that PStwo a PATA hard drive connector. It was also pretty half-baked because you still had to find a way to power the drive, because all you got out of it was the data cable, whereas the network adapter for fatty PS2's had both data and power for PATA hard drives. Some versions of the case mod kit to enable this did include a separate power brick to power the PATA hard drive you used. Not many do, though. And after having been able to enjoy HDloading with nearly every game in my ps2 library, it's something I wish I could do with my ps3 proper... especially since I can thankfully do it now with the 360. If you don't want to chop up your PStwo to use hard drive ripping/loading, then your only real alternative is using USBAdvance, which could support USB hard drives. I personally don't like this that much because while USB 2.0 is rated faster, the reality is that firewire (1394a, not even talking about 1394b) remains consistently faster for external hard drives than USB2.0. But of course, the PStwo has no firewire ports like the original PS2's did. So on the load times, doing it with a USB hard drive pretty much eliminates one of the key benefits of HDloading in the first place (namely, significantly faster load times for games).codezer0

How soon can I expect to see my SSN stolen via Game Boy...because you're probably capable of doing it.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 codezer0

How soon can I expect to see my SSN stolen via Game Boy...because you're probably capable of doing it.

edgewalker16
If people here wouldn't stop being such bratty 'tards about it, maybe I wouldn't be considering the time and effort it'd require of me to do so. ;)